Awoo.

Happy 20th Anniversary to AOSTH!

SpeedKeed

I thought AoSTH was a pretty entertaining show, and I would like to see more after episode 20, but Netflix is crap with that sort of thing.

Though IMO the pilot was more accurate to the games. For example, the first scene takes place in what looks like Emerald Hill and he runs through a loop. Not to mention the Checker-Wrecker Ball from Sonic 1 being used by Robotnik in the desert scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EZ54vXrcVU

Not saying the final show was bad, though.

Man that brings back memories. I never knew about the scene at 0:26. It was what they played in Mean Bean Machine when you trying to continue. Throwwwbaaackkk...

Edited by GOAT

AoStH is 20 years old?.......well now I feel ancient.....

Easily my favourite Sonicshow which should be no surprise to anyone who read my episode by episode review of the series I wrote last year.

The humour is great, the characters are brilliant and the animation (while not the best) is a lot better than most people give it credit.

I'll always have a special place for this show in my heart, whenever I watch the boxset, I get genuinly sad when I hit the final episode just knowing that there's no more and my favourite characters have nothing more to give me.

Favourite moment? Has to be...

Robotnik: Ah Sonic!...If I'd known you were coming...I'd have poisoned a cake...

Awesome

In Australia a few VHS tapes made it's rounds before it aired on TV.. I borrowed the SSSSS Squad one from the video store then proceeded to purchase High Stakes Sonic. The first ever spoken word I heard Sonic say was "Civilization"

A few weeks later Channel 10 started to air them daily at 7am (I think). The first episode they played was the one where they had to break Lucas out of Robotniks prison.

A week or 2 later on a Saturday my little brother barged into my room screaming " Sonic's on TV! Sonic's on TV! " I rushed out of bed to see Sally and the Freedom Fighters and immediately crammed a cassette into the VHS and hit record.

Dad only let us record 1 show per week, and I was prone to SatAM.

As time went on I acquired a few more official VHS episodes while sneaking in a recorded one or 2.. wish I had had the luxury of owning my own TV/VHS like a friend who had recorded every episode..

20 years later.. I recently watched a few episodes on NetFlix and I keep promising myself I'd pick up the DVDs (I have Underground, the Japanese Sonic X and SatAM, so why not?) A lot of people are critical about the series, but they forget it's a slap-stick, Looney-Tune vibe cartoon.. and I enjoyed it :)

Where you watching back when it was shown on Channel 4? 'cos I thought it was on Sunday mornings, not in the afternoon (that's what my old StC issues say anyway).

Nah. There was this channel called POP T.V that aired both satAM and AoStH quite awhile back. Right now the only sonic T.V show there have is Sonic Underground which is on Kix

Edited by kimplix

The Target that's near where I live actually has the whole series on DVD. I still need to grab it!

That show and SatAm was my whole childhood.

Love AoSTH to bits. It was one of the very first Sonic media I was really into besides the games. Before I read STC, definitely. I liked the brotherly relationship Sonic and Tails had, and the idiocy of the bad guys.

My favourite character will always be Rrrrrrrrrrrrobotnik and his voluptuous asscheeks. XD

Seeing as AoStH was broadcast monday to friday and satAM was broadcast....well....on SatAM :P, I guess that makes tomorrow the 20th anniversary of SatAM too.

Wow...That was 20 years ago? Man, how times fly.

Ironically enough, I found this cartoon while trying to find "THAT REALLY COOL SONIC CARTOON THAT WAS ON ABC". At the time, I thought all cartoons were available on weekday syndication. I was also not as devoted to Sonic beyond just enjoying the games. So when I saw my first episode of AoSTH, I was then formally hooked to the Blue Blur for life. It had everything a 7 yr old me could want: There he was, Sonic The Hedgehog, running around, TALKING in that smooth Jaleel White voice of his. He was also very cool, and very funny, like Bugs Bunny. Tails was there too (though oddly, he was brown), helping Sonic foil Dr. Robotnik's schemes and I even recognized Scratch, Grounder and Coconuts as the some of the bad guys from the games (at that point, i even referred to those badniks as "Grounders" or "Coconuts"). There was running and fighting and comedy and adventure, it was very much an entertaining cartoon based on a video game. And to a young child, those wacky and weirdly repulsive side characters could be characters from a video game; How did I know I was 7? So colored me surprise when i eventually did found when SatAM was, that I was confused: There were no game references, no bright colors and loop-de-loops, no badniks....and who the hell is this Sally girl? I got into it late so by the series finale, I simply kept watching Power Rangers.

This series has effected me SO much, that it basically formed the perception I have of Sonic, even to this day. Whenever I imagine what Sonic is supposed to act like, this is the image that forms in my mind: a comedic trickster who uses his speed and his wits to fool the baddies and save the day. Though lately, this very perception has been called into question, as a conflict between what I like about Sonic vs Sonic is supposed to be has begun to form into mind...but thas for another time.

Whatever the results, we can all agree:

LONG JOHN BALDRY. BEST. RRRRRROBOTNIK. EVER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvyvwoi6mrw

• 3 months later...

I discovered the existence of AOSTH only two-two and a half-three years ago, strangely enough. I got curious and started watching the series on youtube (the english version of course. Knowing how italian adaptations tent to upset everything, I passed)

I absolutely love everything (well, almost everything) about it, especially the five main characters: Coconuts and his stutter, Scratch and his laugh, Grounder and his adorable naivety, Robotnik and his charming trilling Rs, Tails and his cuteness, Sonic and his... being Sonic smile.png

I'll expand my feelings about the series in this countdown of my favourite episodes, enjoy smile.png

Number 6

Tails' New Home (Bruce & Reed Shelly)

The very first episode I watched. It's not higher in the list because... can I say I found the animation a little twisted and... hellish, without being lapidate? I mean, Tails turning inside out, Robotnik pulling a brick out of his eye, not to mention the fake parents with those electric wires coming out their necks wacko.png

But anyway, I think you already know why this ep. is in my list: baby Tails from the flashback, Sonic's feelings, the L Word... really, it's a cuteness galore.

Oh, and Robotnik giving himself a PRRRRRROMOTION is a bonus point rolleyes.gif

Number 5

Full Tilt Tails (Robert Askin)

When Tails becomes fast as (and maybe more than) Sonic thanks to one of Robotnik's creations, involuntary disasters ensue. And the blue hedgehog demonstrates that "being a Big Brother Role Model" is not just being protective: he dispenses wise advices to Tails about being responsible with his new speed, and he heartens the fox about how special he already is when things go back to normal

"But even if you're never as fast as me, you're the greatest kid. You're a great flyer, a great guy, and above all, the greatest friend I could ever hope for."

On to the funny moments, this exchange kills me everytime

Scratch: "Sap!"

Grounder: "Stop calling me a sap!"

Scratch: "No, sap! From the tree!"

Grounder: "So you're not calling me a sap?"

Scratch: "I'm not calling you a sap. I'm calling you an idiot!"

Grounder: "Oh Scratch, that's so sweet!"

I love Grounder. If he wasn't made of metal and has drills for hands, I'd give him a hug.

Number 4

Tails In Charge (Martha Moran)

The cuteness of Tails meets awesomeness and give birth to a Badass Adorable when Sonic is turned to stone and it's up to the fox to save the day, Sonic, and himself from Robotnik and his badniks.

How not to love the way Tails goes out of his shell, pays Scratch and Grounder with a taste of their own medicine (in the form of Home Alone-esque booby traps), and makes Sonic proud?

Number 3

Zoobotnik (Rowby Goren)

Sure you didn't expect this one happy.png

Starts as an ordinary routine (you know the drill: Tails is kidnapped and Sonic literally moves mountains to find him) but then it degenerates into a complete delirioum: Robotnik's undesired marriage with the overaggressive huntress Katella, with Scratch and Grounder as crying bridesmaids, Sonic as the justice of the peace and Tails as the organist (both with sadistic smiles on their faces) and the final rumble with Katella and Mama Robotnik. One of the funniest episodes in my book.

Number 2

Trails of the missing Tails (Bob Forward)

The episode where everyone has a happy ending... except Robotnik, who's forced to spend the rest of his days in a fish fight with his crazy cousin.

...okay let's get to the point already: I love this one for all of the moments with Sonic and Tails. I especially melt everytime I hear Sonic candidly saying "You're important to me" to his little bro' happy.png

Bonus points:

Robotnik's epic line "Sonic, if I'd known you were coming I'd have poisoned a cake!". And Coconuts.

Number 1

Tails Prevails (Bob Forward)

Let's mix all of the elements of the other episodes in the list (Sonic's Big Brother Instinct, Tails' desire to prove himself, Robotnik's schemes and Grounder's ingenuousness) and you have my favourite one in the entire series, there's nothing else I can say smile.png