Awoo.

Knuckles Chaotic Remake on the 3DS?

MegaMonster54

What would you expect/hope for if Sega decided to remake Knuckles Chaotic for the 3DS? Now Knuckles Chaotic isn't my favorite game, but I do like to play it from time to time and i think it would be an interesting idea if they remade it for the 3DS. Personally I think they should try to make it look like Sonic 4, or maybe they can just HD the graphics. Maybe get rid of some minor bugs that I saw. But yeah, let me know what you would like to see if Sega did decide to remake KC on the 3DS, I'm really interested. 

A full on remake? Not gonna happen because Sonic isn't playable. A port? Now that would be much more realistic. If they gave it the same treatment as the 3D Sonic 1 port at least, I'd be cool with that. Chaotix would be interesting to play in stereoscopic 3D, considering all the crazy stuff they do in the game with foreground and background stuff.

• Thumbs Up 2

I would much rather them just port the original game so that those who haven't played it, like me, can play.

(Without emulation)

And even at that, I'd much rather it be ported to Steam than 3DS... or both.  You know, the more the merrier.

• Thumbs Up 2

Its a bit hard to say whether it'd be just a mundane idea to port Chaotix or not, considering the game itself, but who knows. Maybe if it was ported by Team Tax-Stealth and featured actual Sonic physics rather than whatever botched up thing Chaotix had, then maybe it'd make its very halfpipe-loaded level design seem much more fun (cuz good acceleration and rolling and all).

I feel like in some way we've had this topic a billion times before, though.

• Thumbs Up 2

Knuckles Chaotix will never be re-released because there isn't enough of a demand for it.

I think it would be better if:

• They gave Taxman the task of remaking the game.
  • Name it Sonic Crackers
  • Add a few new zones (i.e. the ones that were cut from the Sonic Crackers prototype) so you have eight zones with three acts. This would be better than the five acts per zone in Knuckles Chaotix, where they just blatantly copy pasted level design from previous acts.
  • Add Sonic, Amy and Tails as playable characters.
  • Remaster/enhance the soundtrack.
  • Make it so you can get extra lives (you can't in Knuckles Chaotix) and collect up to 999 rings instead of being stuck at the ring cap of 255.
  • Add water to the 'Marina Madness' zone (which - I think - they meant to do in Knuckles Chaotix, but was never done in the final product). 
  • Release it on the usual platforms including Wii U and 2ds/3ds

Knuckles Chaotix was a half finished Sonic game which lacked polish. So Taxman remaking the game and naming it Sonic Crackers would help it sell better.

Edited by -Bender- Wolverine

Adding to it would be nigh impossible. That 32X coding is a bugger to even emulate properly, let alone add new stuff to nearly 20 years later.

As long as Taxman doesn't butcher parts of it like he did with Sonic CD, I'm all for it (cus the 32x is an absolute pain to hook up)

As long as Taxman doesn't butcher parts of it like he did with Sonic CD, I'm all for it (cus the 32x is an absolute pain to hook up)

How the hell did he butcher Sonic CD? From what I've read it's one of the most faithful remakes of a game ever done.

Adding to it would be nigh impossible. That 32X coding is a bugger to even emulate properly, let alone add new stuff to nearly 20 years later.

Many people seem to be suggesting a "ground-up" remake like what Taxman did with Sonic CD and Sonic 1, where he remakes the game from scratch.

Personally? I think Taxman's talents are better off elsewhere.

This would be a waste of Taxman's time, the game just isn't very good.  It should get a re-release but only a straight port for cheap.

If they gave it the same treatment as the 3D Sonic 1 port at least, I'd be cool with that. Chaotix would be interesting to play in stereoscopic 3D, considering all the crazy stuff they do in the game with foreground and background stuff.

4i8.gifntr.gif

Or they could just vomit directly into our eyes perhaps.

zwk.gif

(Special Stages would look kinda cool in 3D tho').

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

We don't even know if there will be any more Taxman Sonic projects after they do Sonic 2, it's been indicated that they might move him onto other franchises. 

Yeah you've said this a couple of times. Why do think that?  I've played an emulation of the original, and Taxman's remake improved upon it in every way. 

Taxman did say - a long time ago - that his Retro engine could handle 32 bit console games. So he could do a great job.

This would be a waste of Taxman's time, the game just isn't very good.  It should get a re-release but only a straight port for cheap.

Pretty much this. If they just ported it and added widescreen (and not much else) like they did with Sonic Adventure 2, then fans who never owned the 32X add-on (which is like 99% of the gaming community tongue.png), could finally play it.

As for it being a waste of Taxman's time. Would you want to pass up the opportunity to remake an average game into a great one?

Besides, Taxman will soon be busy with Sonic 2 (if he isn't already), and what SEGA and Taxman will want to do after Sonic 2 is anyone's guess.

Edited by -Bender- Wolverine

A remake of this game or re-imagining would do better than just straight up porting it. The game as it is isn't that good so just doing a port for it won't really help it much.

I would welcome a full remake of the game with open arms, but at the same time why not just make a new game.  It doesn't help that I'm not a huge fan of Knuckles or the Chaotix too - I like em enough, but yeah.

I think a port of this game is only necessary as a way of providing access to a piece of Sonic's history.  If they combined it with a re-release of SEGASonic Arcade as well (3DS/Wii U/Vita/Smartglass flicks to emulate trackball?), they could always release it in a bundle price too with console versions of the Taxman Sonic 1-2-3 ports, allowing fans to get hold of them while guaranteeing some sales via the classic trilogy.

Maybe.

You say Sonic 4's graphics, but the two episodes had very different graphics. which ones do you mean?

I'd love to see a Knuckles Chaotix port, with some widescreen. I've been wanting one for years.

Edited by MarcelloF

The Chaotix nowadays are about as linked to Knuckles as they are to Sonic, or Tails, or any other person in the cast. So it'd likely either be just the Chaotix or Knuckles with just the usual main cast (Sonic, Tails and Amy). 

They could just, you know, make them connected to Knuckles again? It's not like we're talking about a canon-heavy series here.

Are the Chaotix really popular like... at ALL outside of the fanbase though?  I can't see it happening.  Like more popularly suggested characters like Tails or Knuckles getting their own game is a longshot as it is.  That's probably another reason why a port hasn't been bothered with.

They could just, you know, make them connected to Knuckles again? It's not like we're talking about a canon-heavy series here.

No but there are defined motives, which clash with each other just going by what is in stone. 

Besides, it'd be worse for their characters if they were tied to Knuckles as much as the fans thought they were before Heroes. 

Edited by VEDJ-F

By motives you mean protecting the Master Emerald and the Chaotix wanting money? I recall Knuckles rarely caring about the Master Emerald.

I don't see how it would be so hard to put them together. It's easy as "Something weird happens on Angel Island. Knuckles gets help from the Chaotix to investigate"

Edited by MarcelloF

By motives you mean protecting the Master Emerald and the Chaotix wanting money? I recall Knuckles rarely caring about the Master Emerald.

I don't see how it would be so hard to put them together. It's easy as "Something weird happens on Angel Island. Knuckles gets help from the Chaotix to investigate"

On the occasion is fine, I just meant on a more permanent basis, since the Chaotix have been shown to work for the people Knuckles probably dislikes the most. 

Well the main reason the Chaotix won't get a game I think, is because they were like some kinda mission-mode characters in their only main title, Heroes. That said they are definitely side-characters, and Sega sees them that way. If Sega were awesome like Nintendo and had money to throw at "dumb" ideas like platformers about some guy named Wario, or Princess Peach and fucking Tingle, like Nintendo, we might see a Chaotix game but Sega is Sega. The last off-color spinoff they did was Shadow the Hedgehog. Shadow. The. Hedgehog.