Awoo.

"Antichrist" get's it's own game

Carbo

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/06/antich...ptation_nig.php

Lars von Trier's controversial Antichrist, a horror film starring a grieving couple (Willem DaFoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg) visiting a cabin in the woods while grieving after the death of their child, will also receive a video game adaptation in the form of a first-person thriller/adventure PC game titled Eden, according to a report from Danish newspaper Politiken.dk.

Zentropa Eden Games will develop the title, headed by former Hitman series scriptwriter Morten Iversen. Iversen describes the game as "strong and very personal", "controversial", a "personal hell", and "a bit like a nightmare version of Myst. Von Trier will approve Eden's final design.

Slashfilm's translation of the Politiken article says the game will pull news clips and videos from the internet into the game universe, adjusting its action and presentation to fears that you disclose before starting the game (e.g. admitting you suffer from arachnophobia will result in articles about spiders popping up.).

Eden is still early in development but is expected to release within a year, possibly with the DVD release of Antichrist (the film debuted in Denmark last May).

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/06/19/...le-in-wal-mart/

Yesterday, news was floating around the web about a possible game based on “Antichrist,” a new movie from Lars Von Trier which has received a boatload of controversy. The film, which revolves around a couple staying in a cabin in the woods, is filled with extremely sexual and violent imagery, ranging from the graphic death of a child to close-ups of vaginal insertion and genital mutilation. It’s not, shall we say, for the kids.

Today I had a chance to speak with Morten Iversen, the Game Director behind “Eden,” the title based on “Antichrist.” Iverson is not new to the video game world. He worked at Io Interactive as the writer of the “Hitman” series for six years before forming his own company. When that company went under he joined up with Zentropa, Von Trier’s production company.

“Von Trier has been extremely fond of video games for ages, and has been an avid player of ‘Alone in the Dark,’” explained Iverson. “He’s been circulating the idea internally…that making games would be a good idea.”

But is “Antichrist” really the one to start with? Iverson admits that it’s a challenge.

“[The movie] goes against all the conventions of how you make games and what you can do in games. Dead kids, nudity, graphic violence. It will be a very controversial game, and it’ll be a game that doesn’t really compare with anything else.”

Clearly there are going to be issues with such themes with certain retailers, but Iverson takes those in stride. “We don’t expect Wal-Mart to roll in crates of this and put it on their shelves. Absolutely not available at Wal-Mart!”

“Eden” is actually planned as a download-only game, which Iverson hopes to get on services like Xbox Live and Steam. In style, he describes it as a “nightmarish version of Myst.”

There are some very unique gameplay concepts at work, though. When you queue up the game, players will have to upload a profile, describing what their biggest phobias are. For example, are you afraid of spiders, loud noises or the dark? Based on that profile, certain themes will be loaded into the game to challenge you on those phobias.

But what about interational ratings boards? Recent releases of “Fallout 3″ and “Grand Theft Auto 4″ have had to be edited in order to see shelves in certain territories. Is Zentropa willing to make changes to the project?

“Yes, of course. Just like the movie, they made two versions so they can get released in countries like Italy and the US, [countries] that view things differently than we do in Denmark.” The game’s release will be edited, as well, depending on the region.

Despite all the controversy (to which Iverson replies with a warrior-like battle cry: “”Bring it on! Controversy!”), the game’s release is still a ways off, planned for sometime next year. Currently the team at Zentropa is just four people and the game has just finished the design phase. Next it’s a matter of staffing up and getting the title playable. Iverson seems pumped at the prospect.

“I admire Lars von Trier’s work immensely, and look forward to developing this game based on his work and hopefully with his creative input. He’s an extremely creative, condescending, misogynist genius with a shipload of phobias rattling him every day, so we’re like kindred spirits.”

Now the only question that remains: Where’s the Project Natal version?

“Of course if Microsoft is interested, they could bring us an offer. Chopping of axes and stuff like that, I’m not sure Microsoft would be extremely happy to have a nihilist game with their technology.”

Well this is... Something else. Normally I wouldn't care for film-license games but the amount of controversy that this'll spawn will probably make everyone forget that GTA and Postal even exists. This sounds somewhat risky if you ask me.

Well, nightmare-ish Myst with antichrist themes, extremely explicit graphic material, explicit sexual content and dead kids. Make out whatever you want to out of it.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blacklightning

• Leon K Fox

• SuperLink

• Carbo

Top Posters In This Topic

video game adaptation
These words alone instantly ruined any hope I could possibly have had for something like this. It's bad enough that it'll most likely run on contreversy as a subsitute for publicity, but being an adaptation of an upcoming film just limits any potential from this too damn much for me to consider it worthwhile.

These words alone instantly ruined any hope I could possibly have had for something like this. It's bad enough that it'll most likely run on contreversy as a subsitute for publicity, but being an adaptation of an upcoming film just limits any potential from this too damn much for me to consider it worthwhile.

My thoughts exactly to be honest.

But what about Goldeneye? And Spiderman 2? Those were based on movies and praised to the highest heavens! >_>

So don't jump to conclusions. ;D

But what about Goldeneye? And Spiderman 2? Those were based on movies and praised to the highest heavens! >_>

So don't jump to conclusions. ;D

They're the exception though, not the rule, FAR from being the rule in fact.

Also, do take note that I'm trashing this for more reasons other than simply being a movie port - what with deliberately courting controvesy and all that. Blood and cunts is one thing, but it's exceptionally rare that we ever get a decent game featuring either of them to the same prospective degree as this "Antichrist" shebang, let alone both.

Not to mention I haven't seen any footage yet (if any actually exists), so I've got nothing to base hype on either way. This is just words. Anyone with a mouth or a keyboard can make words.

Edited by Blacklightning