Awoo.

Child of Light [X360/X1/PS3/PS4/Wii U/PC]. Ubisoft's Old School inspired RPG, with some platforming. Coming 2014

KrazyBean

This is the first time I've even heard of this game, but I gotta say, I like the way it looks. The art style is nice and the animations are very smooth. I also thought the way the battles were set up was pretty unique too, at least in that one scene of the video where she's standing in the middle and the enemies were all surrounding her (Unless that one to the left of her wasn't an enemy).

Either way, it really catches my interest, being a fan of both platformer and RPG games, so I'll definitely keep an eye on this one.

I'll prolly need a demo to decide on this one.  It looks gorgeous but RPGs got no business in my platformers.

I also find it easy to get excited about artistic games that look like they're going to have really stellar storytelling and then the story turns out to be not much to it at all (even if it's still good).

Edited by JezMM

I'll prolly need a demo to decide on this one.  It looks gorgeous but RPGs got no business in my platformers.

And what's wrong with doing things differently?

So damn happy it's coming to Wii U, because it looks completely right up my ally.

Thanks Ubisoft! This more than makes up for no Assassin's Creed Liberation or Valiant Hearts on Wii U.

EDIT: Actually I just saw Valiant Hearts' art style and no it does not make up for lack of Valiant Hearts on Wii U why isn't Valiant Hearts on Wii U.

Edited by SuperLink

Saw this today while doing some work stuff one Facebook. It looks so pretty and sounds great and the story seems interesting. I sent the trailer to Jez but as usual he doesn't like the RPG elements. BUT I'm sure we'll get the demo at least to see what's what.

The game looks really nice. I love the water colors. I'm not good at normal RPGs, though. I'll have to look into this when it comes out, but I can't say I'm sure I'll get it.

Nice to see it's confirmed for Wii U.

Ehhhhh, would have been a lot more interested if it was an action RPG.

This screenshot suggests

q2BQBWt.jpg

along with this bit of text I jacked from the Playstation blog

When Aurora enters battle, we’re treated to an exhilarating fly through of the arena before the camera settles on our hero and her adversaries. Battles operate in a turn-based system, with a cast meter dicting the turn order of each character on screen. The meter is divided into two sections: a longer, blue “wait” section, then a short, red “cast” section at the end. Each character is represented by a small icon that slides along the meter as they ready themselves.

The key to battling in Child of Light is to time your attacks properly. Attacking an enemy that’s in the red cast section will interrupt its attack, sending it all the way back to the beginning of the meter. When Aurora and her friends have their turn, time stands still, and an elegant menu opens with a host of different options, like attacking, casting spells, using items, and other familiar JRPG goodies.

...That they've basically borrowed the battle system from Grandia. Now it's still not completely real time action, but the Grandia games have a very tense, timing intensive battle system that's actually super mega fun. You might be surprised how much you enjoy it even if you hate turn based RPGS.

I'm ridiculously excited for this game. Someone is making a game inspired at least in part by Grandia. Grandia is my favourite JRPG ever. The walking around vaguely reminds me of Valkyrie Profile. Another rad game. The art is fantastic. If these guys nail this game I'm going to be so fucking happy. 

I need to state, if they keep that battle system, it's not a normal RPG. 

The platforming is give or take, really. But if the plot is decent and they nail that sweet, sweet Grandia combat I'll support this game to the end.

• Thumbs Up 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZs3bD_m4uw

Gamespot interviews the writer of the game, and he explains the story and other aspects of the game. It also shows loads of new gameplay from the PS4 version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sNxZ7wcXyI

A short walkthrough of the game.

Edited by KrazyBean

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Massive bump, but i think it's worth to tell. Ubisoft recently announced they're porting both Child of Light (with all DLC) and Valiant Hearts: The Great War on the Nintendo Switch, and the director of the former had to share this on Twitter:

What's that little thing in the top right corner, i wonder?