Awoo.

"Puyo Puyo Tetris!" (Switch, PS4, PC) STEAM RELEASE CONFIRMED

Indigo Rush

Yes, this is real:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/11/4719708/sega-goes-mad-scientist-mashes-up-tetris-and-puyo-puyo-into-single

tetris_art.0_cinema_720.0.jpg

Among the games Sega is planning to show off at the Tokyo Game Show next week is Puyo Puyo Tetris, a title revealed in this week's Famitsu magazine. The latest in Sega's Puyo series of falling-blob match-em-up puzzlers, this one combines Puyo Puyo with Tetris in a literal way  two players compete against each other using either game they want, even if one is Tetris-ing and the other's Puyo-ing.

"This project got kicked off because we wanted to bring excitement to these two games, the forefront of the action-puzzle genre," said series producer Mizuki Hosoyamada. "When you lose a Puyo Puyo game, have you ever said 'Well, I wouldn't have lost if we were playing Tetris'? Well, let's have people play each other using the game of their choice, then. This was already in the planning phases back in 2006, forPuyo Puyo's 15th anniversary, although nothing was kicked off with it until last summer."

The new title will feature two main competitive modes. "Classics" allows you to pick the game of your choice and play against an opponent, either completing Tetris lines or setting off Puyo chains in order to throw garbage into your foe's stack. "Swap" mode adds a trick to this  at certain times during the match, you'll actually have to swap between games, going from dropping Puyo blobs to stacking up Tetris blocks.

"While you're playing Puyo Puyo, the screen will switch out and now you're playingTetris," Hosoyamada explained. "We'll be introducing a variety of other rules as well, based on ideas that have appeared in the series over the years. There will also be rules that take advantage of the Puyo-Tetris mix, although I can't get into details yet."

Sega is launching Puyo Puyo Tetris next year on PS3, Wii U, Nintendo 3DS and PS Vita. "Both of these titles have earned massive support from fans for many years," Hosoyamada said. "I'm hoping that we can continue to keep things exciting, so we can celebrate our 40th and 50th anniversaries. Even if you aren't into action-puzzle games, I hope you'll pay attention to the festival atmosphere we've got going with this game. Try it out at TGS!"

This is the kind of thing I love waking up to in the morning. I just hope it gets released outside of Japan. I'd buy that so hard.

UPDATE: WESTERN RELEASE CONFIRMED FOR PS4 AND NINTENDO SWITCH!

UPDATE 2: STEAM / PC VERSIONS HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED!

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm surprised that Sega didn't use or include Columns as well then it would be a hat trick of famous puzzle games.

It sounds like an interesting idea but I don't know how the execution is going to be like whether it would work or the two puzzle games clash in design until it comes out. Since Tetris has a more geometric design and Puyo has more of a cartoon design, plus the blocks are different with Tetris being lines made of square blocks while the Puyo beans are round I don't know what the game will look like without compomising one with the other. At least if it was Tetris and Columns, both have square blocks so a cross over would be easier and more fitting.

Doubt that it will get released out of Japan though since the last Puyo Puyo game released outside of Japan (excluding mobile versions) was Puyo Puyo Fever and there's been plenty of Tetris games that were Japan only. E.g. The Sega versions of Tetris, Tetris The Grand Master (a very fast and competitive Tetris game that you need really quick almost super human reflexes at the higher levels) + sequels and one Sega had in development but was unreleased, The Famicom BPS Tetris game and there's the ones that I can think of

The reason why Im looking forward to this is simply the fact that it's more likely this will be released over here - it contains Tetris, after all, and that should sell over here, right?

(I just want another puyo game over here... ;__;)

This looks rather neat, but I'm not exactly keen on supporting anything to do with Tetris, especially considering the Tetris Company and Henk Rogers have a hard-on for the bullshit "Tetris Guideline" (basically, any Tetris game must adhere to a strict set of gameplay rules, including infinite rotation and the "Super Rotation System", both of which turned Tetris: The Grand Master ACE into a watered-down shell of what the TGM games are supposed to be) and aggressively trying to claim copyright over every aspect of Tetris, even stuff that is impossible to actually claim any copyright on (such as the actual gameplay and the public domain song that's practically synonymous with the series).

Puyo Puyo is great, but Tetris is pretty much in a state of intentional stagnation.

puyopuyo_tetris-1.jpg

Beautiful. Looks very colorful, which is expected out of Puyo Puyo.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 4

...with a side of Columns.

But seriously, this is so awesome. And did I hear a vocal version of the original Puyo Puyo theme?   :D

This is so gooooood. 

......It's a shame it's probably not being released outside of Japan. .... :

3DS is not region-free, correct...?

Yeah, it's not. PS3 and Vita are, though.

I think this'll be localized, though. Even if it's a digital only title. Tetris is a big help to that, I think.

Edited by MarcelloF

As much as I love Puyo Puyo and Tetris, there's no chance I'll be buying a PS Vita. I already have a 3DS and am not financially stable enough to buy another system for one game.

Vita +1 and 3DS -1 I guess.

Edited by Indigo Rush

Nope. I have a room mate who owns one, buuuuut we'll be parting ways by Spring of next year, so it's not a good investment if I can't keep the game.

I /might/ get a PS3 in the future, considering that has a load of other good games, but this won't be any time soon. I'd much rather get it for the 3DS.

Tetris on the GameBoy is what sold the GameBoy after all, and what made Tetris so popular. Puzzle drop games are really best off as console games, so I agree.

• 4 months later...

Some footage of the multiplayer mode has been revealed:

Good grief I have no idea what's going on but it looks like fun. 

Still no word on an American/European release, however. This game comes out in February, and since we're so close to the end of this month already, I'm not going to hold out much hope for any Western localization at this point. :/

I do wish they'd localize Puyo Puyo in general.

• Thumbs Up 2

Still no word on an American/European release, however. This game comes out in February, and since we're so close to the end of this month already, I'm not going to hold out much hope for any Western localization at this point. :/

An english localization? I don´t think so sad.png  None of the games have been translated since Fever, so...

You can hope for a english fan translation though, there´s an english fan translation of 7 and 15th, and Fever 2 and 20th are currently being translated as well...but it sucks,really sad.png

Oh hey, Arle looks beautiful with that new hairstyle. Who is that white-haired cutie on the left?

PS: Nevermind, saw the charatcer roster on the official webpage and the new guys looks half-assed as fuck.

Uh this IS Sega we're talking about so I really doubt they'll release it overseas. Which is a shame cos it looks really nice, for a puzzle game.

I dunno guys, Sega may have not localised most of the other Puyo games, but this is a Tetris cross-over we're talking about, and Tetris sells over here, doesn't it? I don't think there's a big chance, but it's more likely than usual.

• Thumbs Up 1

Am I alone in thinking a Puyo/Tetris crossover is really redundant? I mean, it's pretty much based off Tetris, so...

They're similar but ultimately they play quite differently. I'm better at Puyo Puyo than Tetris whereas my sister is the opposite.

There's also Lumines on PSP and Vita which is different but very much in the same vein.

• Thumbs Up 2

Am I alone in thinking a Puyo/Tetris crossover is really redundant? I mean, it's pretty much based off Tetris, so...

As Chooch said, Puyo Puyo is actually fairly different from Tetris. The similarities end with them both featuring colorful falling pieces which you can rotate.

Puyo is a color matching game while Tetris is a line clearing game; Puyo is primarily a 2-player/vs-AI/competitive game while Tetris is largely single player; Puyo's strategy involves setting up intricate chain sequences to compound your score/send garbage to your opponent while Tetris' strategy involves clearing multiple lines in succession to increase your score.

Also, the Puyo series is curiously story-driven with a cast of characters and different universes, while Tetris usually avoids any sort of exposition, but that's more of an aside. The point is that Puyo is as different from Tetris as Sonic is from Mario (2D platforming, at least). They may look similar at the onset, but the rules and strategies are more than different enough to consider them to be more than "redundant."

And also, Puyo has this cheeky bugger:

carbuncle.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5