Awoo.

"Puyo Puyo Tetris!" (Switch, PS4, PC) STEAM RELEASE CONFIRMED

Indigo Rush

Except infinitely more appealing and understandable than Columns halfkidding But even Columns has a different feel and strategy to it than Puyo does. I think with Columns, you need to match in threes, and they only drop in threes... but you need to match them in rows and columns (GASP) as well as being able to match diagonally, wheras Puyo is more freeformed with its matching... except for diagonally (plus, you match with four or more, not three). Also, it's more of a single player campaign. There's no competitive aspect, not that there can't be one. It's just never been explored if I recall correctly.

Regardless... yeah. It's closer to Columns than it is to Tetris.

For your comparison:

It's more similar to Columns than it is to Tetris, but Puyo Puyo is its own game with its own rules.

In case anyone is still confused over "what it is" and still hasn't like, noticed, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine was a localised version of Puyo Puyo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not holding my breath on seeing this localized, but they DID secure the Tetris license. That part alone would sell in the West, and it could perhaps help introduce the Puyo Puyo half to potential customers.

Edit: To go off of what Jez said, for the people that somehow don't know what Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is, but DO know what Kirby's Avalanche/Ghost Trap is...that's also Puyo Puyo.

• 2 weeks later...

Have some 3DS footage:

And some Wii U footage, too:

The demo is now out in Japan, apparently. This looks really fun!

Except infinitely more appealing and understandable than Columns halfkidding But even Columns has a different feel and strategy to it than Puyo does. I think with Columns, you need to match in threes, and they only drop in threes... but you need to match them in rows and columns (GASP) as well as being able to match diagonally, wheras Puyo is more freeformed with its matching... except for diagonally (plus, you match with four or more, not three). Also, it's more of a single player campaign. There's no competitive aspect, not that there can't be one. It's just never been explored if I recall correctly.

Columns' primary problem, I think, is that it has too many colors in its jewel set, thus inhibiting the ease of comboability. Removing one or two colors from the set (like the "Original Game" mode does at the Novice level) results in a much more immediately fun, rewarding, and mesmerizing puzzle game. I feel that Columns with 4 or 5 jewels would be ideal for Versus play.

Anyway, as for Puyo Puyo Tetris: It seems like a match made in heaven! The only thing that I worry about is the game's balance, because it looked like the game was heavily in Puyo's favor at TGS 2013.

Some more footage, and an article from our buddies at SEGA Bits!

Swap Mode:

Mix Mode (AKA: WHAT-IN-THE-NAME-OF-ALL-THAT-IS-GOOD-AND-HOLY-IS-GOING-ON MODE):

Article here:

puyopuyotetris-600x337.jpg

I’m sure by now you have heard of Sonic Team’s Puyo Puyo Tetris crossover game. I’m not going to give any long-winded lectures about why you should get this game. I’m only going to give you a few facts from the Japanese site along with videos that I hope will get you interested in the game if you weren’t interested before. There are some really cool looking modes and I wanted to spread awareness.

Update: We’ve been informed by @STORMKAMI that a demo went up on the JP PSN store yesterday. If you want to, try out the demo and let us know what you think in the comments.

VS Mode

Versus mode is basically a basic versus mode. Each player chooses whether they want to play Puyo Puyo or Tetris. The choice is yours. It’s a pretty standard mode but a necessity at the same time.

Mix Mode

Mix mode is when things start to get interesting. It’s another VS mode, but with a twist. You have to deal with pieces from both Puyo Puyo and Tetris on the same field. Me explaining it won’t make things any clearer, watch the video and see for yourself. It will look confusing at first, but after a while you will see why it’s awesome.

Swap Mode

If you get bored easily and like chaos, than this is the mode for you. This mode is a VS mode that alternates between Puyo Puyo and Tetris boards every 25 seconds.

Party Mode

Party mode is a mode that breaks away from traditional Puyo Puyo Tetris gameplay by making items a core part of the gameplay. People who are a fan of party games will probably appreciate this mode. Watch the video to see how the gameplay works.

Big Bang Mode

Big Bang Mode is non-stop bonus mode. Fever mode for Puyo Puyo and Lucky Attack mode for Tetris.

Single Player Modes

marathon_02.jpg

You can of course play any of the versus modes by yourself with a CPU if you don’t have anyone to play with, but Puyo Puyo Tetris also has some dedicated single-player modes. I apologize for the horrible descriptions in advance, Google translate has failed me.

• Tokotonpu Puyo
    Looks to be a score attack mode with no time limit.
  • Fever Thoroughly
    Something to do with fever mode.
  • Tokotonchibi Puyo
    Wider playing field mode.
  • Marathon Tetris
    Score attack mode with no time limit.
  • 40 Line Tetris
    Remove 40 lines quickly as possible!
  • Ultra Tetris
    Get high of a score as you can within 3 minutes.
You want this game now, right?

puyopuyotetris2-600x324.jpg

Puyo Puyo Tetris comes out Feb 6th in Japan for 3DS, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, and Wii u. As of now there is no plans for this game to come west and don’t get your hopes up. A Puyo Puyo game hasn’t made it west in ages. You’d think since it involves Tetris SEGA West would want to release it, but nope. Maybe they will change their minds in the future, I mean they did release Hatsune Miku Project Diva F.

If you really want to play Puyo Puyo Tetris your best bet is to get your hands on a Japanese version of the game. That means you would need to get the game on a PlayStation platform unless you are skilled at hacking or own Japanese Nintendo hardware. Please Understand.

I hope this article was informative and got you interested in the game if you were not interested in Puyo Puyo Tetris before reading this article. Thank you for reading!

Videos won't show up in this quote, so visit the website to see everything.

Wow, look what prizes SEGA are giving out for this trial campaign code competition that people can apply for;

preimg_b.png

BfTYEaaCIAAj92E.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Rats. I wanted so badly to discuss the potential balance problems with this game, but it looks like nobody is interested. sad.png

@Thigolf: Just import this game. It doesn't require knowledge of Japanese to play, and PS3s are region free.

Not everyone has, or wants, a Sony console.

That's a shame. PS3s are only going to become more affordable over time though, especially on places like Craigslist. It will be the least costly way to play this game imported.

Tried the PS3 demo, nothing interesting to say since it only includes two modes (normal tetris and normal puyo) and four characters.

I really wish the characters´ attack animation were in the middle of the screen like before, now they are on the bottom and you can´t see much since you are busy playing sad.png

I tried Tetris mode and found it very interesting, but I ´ve always sucked at Tetris so i´ll stick with puyo for the moment haha.

Rats. I wanted so badly to discuss the potential balance problems with this game, but it looks like nobody is interested. sad.png

I am not good at discussing things, but I like reading people´s opinions. What´s the problem with balance?

Tried the PS3 version, nothing interesting to say since it includes only two modes and four characters.

I really wish the characters´ attack animation were in the middle of the screen like before, now they are on the bottom and you can´t see much since you are concetrated on the battle instead sad.png

The demo, you mean? @_@ I consider the change for character animations an improvement. No more blocking the view of the playing area.

I am not a person of discussion, but I like reading people´s opinions. What´s the problem with balance?

Judging from the demonstrations at TGS, it seems like the punishment for Tetris players is much harsher and more challenging to deal with than the punishment for Puyo players.

A full tetris (four lines) only drops about 5 gray blocks into the Puyo playing area, while simple Puyo combos add many random unfinished gray Puyo lines to the bottom of the Tetris playing area. This seems quite unfair because Puyo players have the advantage of removing the gray blocks from the top, while Tetris players have to first work through the bricks they already had before they can even begin to remove the gray Puyo lines.

I don't want this game to be heavily in favor of Puyo, because then nobody would play Tetris and then Versus mode would basically be just like any other Puyo VS game.

Wow Mix Mode looks really cool.  I'm super bad at Puyo though so I dunno how much I'd actually enjoy it, but the concept is super cool in terms of the new opportunities it makes for puyo combo-ing.

• 2 years later...

See you in 2019 Puyo Puyo Chronicles 

So we pulling a Project Diva/Yakuza now? It's crazy how SEGA of two, three years ago and now operates toward localization.

Fuck I wanna play this so bad. Puyo Puyo is fantastic and SEGA usually make great Tetris games too. This is like Dr Mario +Tetris only godlike, right?

• Thumbs Up 3

Never really cared for Tetris, but if this possibly increases the chances of Chronicles being localized in the future, I'd be all over that thing.

Awesome to know that there might be a English localization for this game soon. I really like both Tetris and Puyo Puyo and the game looked super fun from what the footage I saw, so I'm pretty excited.

On 02/02/2014 at 8:07 PM, Indigo Rush said:

Not everyone has, or wants, a Sony console.

On 29/12/2016 at 2:15 AM, Indigo Rush said:

ENGLISH TROPHIES FOR PUYO PUYO TETRIS HAVE APPEARED

Bearer of the Dark Sign. Let your true console shine! 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

Don't you ruin this for me now

PC release, baby. I can feel it.

I second this. Steam release PLEASE!

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Switch...

Now confirmed for the West on both PS4 AND Switch!

• Thumbs Up 1