Awoo.

Is Sonic Lost World more hyped than SM3DWorld?

Narukami07

I've been noticing this for the past few months, especially given how Sega admitted that they wanted to also bring in the Mario audience to look forward to this game (i think). So far, it's actually kinda worked. XD

I'm still looking forward to 3D World a lot, and i believe it will be a great game in the end. But i kinda admit that in terms of ambition, I've been very keen SLW's take towards that a bit more. 

Yeah people seem to lean towards Sonic lost world more since it feels a lot like a galaxy sequel they were waiting for and it's not the 3D mario experience they expected such as a new Mario galaxy or Mario 64 sequel but 3D world looks fun but seems to be short in their stages but I'm still going to enjoy it regardless of it not being what it was meant to be..

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic has changed in a way people have never seen before with this fame, so of course itll turn a few more heads than plane jane Mario who's just serving more of what you'd expect.

• Thumbs Up 1

^That's a better way to put it than what i would've stated, well said!

It's Mario. It's pretty much guaranteed to have more hype surrounding it.

If only there weren't so many divided opinions/write-offs on 3D world though. :/

Edited by Narukami07

I think for the most part it more or less depends on which demographic/fanbase you're taking into consideration. But I'm betting whereas Mario has suffered from NSMB oversaturation last year, his games are still more or less solid, and I'm pretty sure that despite not being anything mindblowing in terms of setting/presentation like the Galaxy duology, Mario's next entry is a 3D 4P co-op platformer that has Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Peach (for the first time in years) playable a la SMB2 USA, so I bet it will still get some more press/interest/hype though compared to Sonic, whom people are still warming (back) up (again) to after a string of (depending how you look at it outside the fanbase) good/passable games.

I don't think Nintendo is doing a good enough job of hyping their big line up of games (with a few exceptions like Pikmin 3 and W101). The last thing I remember of 3D World is playing it at the Best Buy E3 thing. I barely see anyone talking about this game at all on the internet, as if it's hiding from me or anything. There aren't any new trailer or new info about the game so we don't know much more than we did back during E3.

Sega on the other hand, has been giving us about monthly updates with constant interviews, a trailer or two, nice screenshots which have raised a lot of questions, and are just overall making sure people don't forget about the game until it releases. I know I'm getting 3D World, but I'm just not that excited at all because I don't know much about the game other than how it plays.

Also a crucial point to bring up is that SLW is taking the series in a new direction which people have been asking for a lot now. 3D World is a game that even major sites have admitted is underwhelming.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd say Lost World is being hyped much more. Its doing bold and fresh things Sega has either not touched up on in a long time, or never done before at all. Plus, the amount of apparent Galaxy influence is getting loads of peoples' attention too.

Nintendo doesn't even care to hype their own game up, even if it is a Gosh-Danged 3D Mario™ that is only months away from release. They just expect you to buy it at this point, even though no one is really convinced they should since the Mario franchise as a whole (bar Luigi's Mansion and the Mario & Luigi series) has gone full-on stagnant lately.

Edited by Azookara

They just expect you to buy it at this point, even though no one is really convinced they should since the Mario franchise as a whole (bar Luigi's Mansion and the Mario & Luigi series) has gone full-on stagnant lately.

I don't think it's gone "that" stagnant barring NSMB (sorry , enough is enough with that one). Plus you forgot MK8, which looks to have a ton of effort in it. That said, i just hope more of 3D World's better strengths are shown to at least get decent hype around it.

Edited by Narukami07

Well I'm not saying Mario Kart 8 isn't impressive nor is 3D World lacking of anything to be excited for, its just that the general image of Mario lately is Mr. Play-It-Safe. Nintendo's really been on a roll with making him seem like the same ol' gig every single game rather than changing it up and innovating (which they'll do in the spinoffs but not in the main console games for some reason), so 3D World isn't getting much if any press due to Nintendo not wanting to change that status quo they've built, or even make a big deal or show anything interesting from out of the next Gosh-Danged 3D Mario™.

i will continually use that term because dang man 3D Marios are kind of a big deal what are you doing Nantandi

Edited by Azookara

Nintendo doesn't even care to hype their own game up, even if it is a Gosh-Danged 3D Mario™ that is only months away from release. They just expect you to buy it at this point, even though no one is really convinced they should since the Mario franchise as a whole (bar Luigi's Mansion and the Mario & Luigi series) has gone full-on stagnant lately.

Speak for yourself, since I feel that Mario has been better than ever lately and I'm really happy to see them making a home console sequel to the most tightly designed 3D platformer in the series to date. I'm pretty stoked to play it, whereas my excitement and anticipation for Lost World is a bit milder since Nintendo has already proven to me in the immediate past that they can still make amazing games.

• Thumbs Up 9

First of all, asking a Sonic forum if a Sonic game is more hyped than a Mario game isn't going to get you unbiased answers.

Second of all, Mario being stagnant? Lol no. 3D World is a game I want day 1. And I never buy games day 1.

• Thumbs Up 5

Speak for yourself, since I feel that Mario has been better than ever lately and I'm really happy to see them making a home console sequel to the most tightly designed 3D platformer in the series to date. I'm pretty stoked to play it, whereas my excitement and anticipation for Lost World is a bit milder since Nintendo has already proven to me in the immediate past that they can still make amazing games.

I definitely wasn't saying 3D World won't be amazing (I'm excited for it myself), but I'm talking about the way Nintendo just expects it to carry itself. From what I've seen on other websites, not even Sonic fansites, the hype levels seem a bit tamed due to Nintendo only showing that it takes from both NSMB and 3D Land and not much else.

Ok, I had to come here to talk about this one. I'm a Mario fan. I swear... I don't really care that much about Sonic. Heck, I think I started being a fan of the franchise since Unleashed... and to be honest, neither Colors nor Generations come close to the quality of the Super Mario Galaxy series; they're good, but not superb. I've NEVER, EVER, been hyped for a Sonic game more than a Mario game.

What am I doing here? well, looking for information of Sonic Lost World of course! Why? because... well, to be honest, I'm a lot more interested in Sonic Lost World than... Super Mario 3D World. That's right, this is my first time being more hyped for a Sonic game than a Mario game. Why? Maybe because I find the gameplay neat and the artstyle gorgeous. A lot of us non-Sonic-fans felt a little overwhelmed by the overly detailed visuals, and seeing him coming back to his true cartoonish world? That's mindblowing and risky, and I like games that take risks, like Wonderful 101. 

I accept  that Super Mario 3D World looks amazing and it's gonna be a GREAT game... but it plays more safe than usual, and so far, it's something that I've already seen, so I'm not gonna get it at launch. Sonic Lost World? heck yeah!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, I had to come here to talk about this one. I'm a Mario fan. I swear... I don't really care that much about Sonic. Heck, I think I started being a fan of the franchise since Unleashed... and to be honest, neither Colors nor Generations come close to the quality of the Super Mario Galaxy series; they're good, but not superb. I've NEVER, EVER, been hyped for a Sonic game more than a Mario game.

What am I doing here? well, looking for information of Sonic Lost World of course! Why? because... well, to be honest, I'm a lot more interested in Sonic Lost World than... Super Mario 3D World. That's right, this is my first time being more hyped for a Sonic game than a Mario game. Why? Maybe because I find the gameplay neat and the artstyle gorgeous. A lot of us non-Sonic-fans felt a little overwhelmed by the overly detailed visuals, and seeing him coming back to his true cartoonish world? That's mindblowing and risky, and I like games that take risks, like Wonderful 101. 

I accept  that Super Mario 3D World looks amazing and it's gonna be a GREAT game... but it plays more safe than usual, and so far, it's something that I've already seen, so I'm not gonna get it at launch. Sonic Lost World? heck yeah!

I survived the console wars between both Mario and Sonic as a fan of both. and I can appreciate both games and the similar / different tastes that they want to offer. So its sort of unfair to compare both Galaxy games to Colors and Generations. Both Galaxy games have more open world based exploration mixed with some linear design. Colors is great and has a lot of paths but still a fixed end point. So like I said they both are very good.

I'm far more hyped for Lost World than 3D World.

But then again, I was also more hyped for Generations than 3D Land.

...And you know what?

I enjoyed it more too

haw haw

BUT IN ALL SERIOUSNESS, I fully admit that it's more so due to my partiality towards Sonic than anything. But

with that said, even if not for that, I find Lost World's riskiness and holy crap wow innovation inherently more interesting than 3D World's "LOL IT'S A NEW MARIO GAME" shtick. I'm sure 3D World's going to be an excellent game, certainly, and 3D Land is still one of my favorite Mario games of all time, but actually giving a franchise a much-needed and well-deserved step forward on all fronts is much more respectable and interesting to me than simply offering a Mission Pack Sequel to your last 3-D offering on an HD console. Not to mention that Nintendo has even admitted that 3D World is basically really good filler to tide us over for the next major installment.

Lost World for me, bar none.

Edited by T-Man
  • Thumbs Up 2

Not to mention that Nintendo has even admitted that 3D World is basically really good filler to tide us over for the next major installment.

Haha

What

3D World looks absolutely glorious, where on earth people are getting mission pack sequel from is totally beyond me. Are people honestly expecting a 3D Land sized budget game simply because '3D' is in the title?? Nintendo hasn't hyped 3D World much but I imagine it'll be a title to rival even the Galaxies upon release.

Sonic Lost World looks good, but I'm remaining cautiously optimistic about it. I haven't found myself able to hype it as much as I have done with past games and certainly not as much as I did Generations, though that is to be expected.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm a lot more hyped for Sonic Lost World due to the fact that we're finally getting another original Sonic game after 3 years (the last fully original Sonic game was Sonic Colours and that was released in 2010. 2011 was Sonic Generations, which contained levels we've all played before, and 2012 had no main Sonic game at all). When I say original I mean completely new levels and bosses, obviously there will be some nostalgic references in the games but Sonic is almost 25 years old and this is to be expected.

I will definitely get 3D World, but I have 3D Land to tie me over in the meantime. I can wait for this game.

In the demo stages of 3D world isn't the later stages after the halfway point which is 4-1 suppose to be a lot more hard and long because what I've seen in stage 6-2 with the bullet bill fortress it seems not too difficult but the cat power up can skip half of the level with the wall climb it defeats the intensity of the stages hazards and enemies hell 3D land had some difficulty after 4-1 but maybe the unseen stages might change my mind but still 6-2 looks easy, the part of the game I like now that I didn't in 3D land, the bosses are diverse for once since NSMBDS which in my opinion is a great game and not defeat bowser for 7 worlds with the nostalgic fry bowser after stepping on the switch he's blocking.

Edited by DarkShadowMaster

I'm a lot more hyped for Sonic Lost World due to the fact that we're finally getting another original Sonic game after 3 years (the last fully original Sonic game was Sonic Colours and that was released in 2010. 2011 was Sonic Generations, which contained levels we've all played before, and 2012 had no main Sonic game at all). When I say original I mean completely new levels and bosses, obviously there will be some nostalgic references in the games but Sonic is almost 25 years old and this is to be expected.

I will definitely get 3D World, but I have 3D Land to tie me over in the meantime. I can wait for this game.

But Sonic Generations had a new boss Time eater tongue.png

Judging from what I read from other places, Sonic Lost World is more hyped up than Super Mario 3D World due to that it shows a larger risky change in the series from the level design, controls and even the graphics to a degree while the new Mario game is mainly seen as an underwelming 3D Mario (compared to the previous jumps of 3D Mario) and more of a sequel to Super Mario 3D Land with a 4 player co-op mode and a new power up when people pretty much wanted Super Mario Universe (the bold U is intentional). People are disappointed with the game especially if they didn't like 3D Land but the ones who are hyped are for the 4 player multiplayer from what I noticed. Some people from the posts that I read elsewhere feel that the new Sonic game is more Mario than Mario himself in terms of gameplay due to the Mario Galaxy impressions. When Sonic Lost World is released, I think the hype of Super Mario 3D World will be higher however some people are worried regarding Nintendo and their creativity.

Then again, there has been more Mario games lately so people might not be as hyping as much. So I've got a theory that the more of something = the less hype of something. After all the last time there were constant main Mario platformers was the Famicom/NES to the early SNES era. After that the wait for the next Mario game was a long time 5/6 years from Super Mario World to Super Mario 64, 5/6 years from SM64 to Sunshine, 5 years from Sunshine to Galaxy. Handheld games were even worse from Super Mario Land 2 to New Super Mario Bros. it was a 14 year wait since Nintendo were either focusing on Wario Land or porting the other Mario games onto a handheld. People wanted more Mario games and this was the result, a main game and then a NSMB game.

Personally both games and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze are as equally hyped up due to that they are going to be quality platformers on the Wii U. While there is a nagging feeling for Sonic Lost World due to Sega's inconsistancy, I have enjoyed the past 3 main Sonic games [unleashed, Colours and Generations] so looking forward to this one.

Now I know Super Mario 3D World is going to be a good game when it comes out later in the year due to that Nintendo have great programmers so the game is going to be polished, an evolution of the ideas from Super Mario 3D Land like Galaxy 1 to 2 and a chance 3D World might not be the main game after all. There was a chance of me not playing 3D Land so this would have filled the gap but luck was on the side so chances are that I'm going to enjoy it.

Then again since Nintendo has pretty much invented the platforming genre, I think they must feel that they have run out or running out of fresh ideas so all they can do at this point is just minor tweaking of things. Like New Super Mario Bros. U is a polished, good looking platformer taking improvements from the past 2 [excluding NSMB2] NSMB games and made them better [personally my favourite of the NSMB series] however it is also seen as stagnent since it doesn't add much to the series apart from better graphics, new power up that itself is based on the Cape and a Yoshi that is similar to Balloon Mario, showing all of the overworld [that was already done at Super Mario World anyway] and the plot doesn't start with Peach getting kidnapped. Plus the music is similar in all 4 games. The lovely level design is harder to spot to someone who isn't a large Mario fan so people would think all 4 games are the same, the New Super Luigi U DLC doesn't help either [that one is like the Lost Levels to SMB].

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been noticing this for the past few months, especially given how Sega admitted that they wanted to also bring in the Mario audience to look forward to this game (i think). So far, it's actually kinda worked. XD

I'm still looking forward to 3D World a lot, and i believe it will be a great game in the end. But i kinda admit that in terms of ambition, I've been very keen SLW's take towards that a bit more. 

I'd say no. 1 reason is because this Mario game is finally in HD. That's a big step for the series. 2, we have not seen much from the game, where we've seen shit loads of stuff from SLW. Once more info, screens and videos show up, the hype for Mario HD will go through the roof. 3, CAT SUITS! Sure sonic has changed AGAIN. But Mario in cats suits is going to be HUGE. Imagine what more you can do in that suit that you could not do in any of his previous suits? 4, It's mario. The last major sonic game everyone hyped was Generations. Then before that was 06. And then both Adventure games. Sonic games (after the death of dreamcast) only get noticed when something major happens or a big change. Sonic in HD was huge. (then it failed but still) Generations was an anniversary game, ending the Modern age.Gen showed potential to be the greatest Sonic game of all time. (we know how it turned out). Also Mario has had a big lead on Sonic since the death of Dreamcast. While there are hidden Sonic fans roaming the earth, mario will still take massives dumps on it. Graphically, and in sales. It's the facts. Now if SLW surprises me and out does Mario HD then.....well damn.

Personally, I'm more hyped for mario (which isn't saying much because i'm not really hyped for either game) mainly because it's HD and it looks purty. SLW looks great, don't get me wrong. But it's missing something. Not really sure it is, but it's missing something, and because of that, it's not grabbing my attention. 

Then again, there has been more Mario games lately so people might not be as hyping as much. So I've got a theory that the more of something = the less hype of something. After all the last time there were constant main Mario platformers was the Famicom/NES to the early SNES era. 

Agreed. This is how Assassin's Creed is dying. AC1 and AC2 were great. Not only because it improved in every department of the game, but it was a gap of time. 2 years. That more than enough time for people to get ready and hype for a sequel. Sonic has been pushing games out like crazy lately. In the last 5 years, I know I've seen 3 main games along with like 3 or 4 handheld/spin-offs. Mario is starting to follow that. Galaxy 2, NSMB1 NSMB2, NSMBHD, and then we have the random olympic spin-offs. (Which I believe have been 2) If sonic were to slow down a little, it's hype for the next game would be great. Sure this 2 year period for main games is okay, but even Sonic needs a year vacation.

Sonic Lost World has impressed me more than Mario 3D World so far. Most people I've talked to seem to agree. Both look pretty good though.

Hype levels are generally pretty subjective at best, especially when biases towards the hog or plumber are taken into consideration. Though, I do feel like Sonic is getting a lot more exposure for his game right now, since I've hardly seen much information on 3D World getting thrown around, which is sorta weird imo. The marketing for it will probably start kicking up later down the round, so eh. As for which I'm more excited for, definitely 3D World. Playable Peeeeeeeeeaaaaach