Awoo.

Is Sonic Lost World more hyped than SM3DWorld?

Narukami07

I'm more hyped for SLW then M3DW, and that's mainly because of Nintendo's lack of exposure for 3DW. All I really know about the game is that it's the same cast as Mario 2, a new suit is available, and that Bowser's (once again) the final boss. Not really a lot to get hyped about on that game at the moment

Well that and the hands on previews I keep reading on Neogaf.

Edited by Balding Spider
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Lost World is a game that's taking the series in an utterly new and bold direction (for Sonic anyway).

Super Mario 3D World is a game that's perfecting an already established formula, and is shaping up to be another fantastic addition to the series.

In a way, I'm hyped for both games very much. Just differently, due to each of them having different purposes in regards to what they're trying to accomplish. 

On the basis of them just being video games though, I have to say SM3DW is personally the one I'm more excited for, due to how much I loved 3D Land.

I couldn't have said it any better then this person. Mario? Some people in this forum might not like it, cause it doesn't go through the crazy changes, and it might not be as mature? But Mario is hyped in a difference sense. People are not gonna talk about it much, but look at youtube? Trailers for almost every Mario game that ever came out, those things have more then 2-3 million views easily. 90 percent of it has likes then dislikes on it.

Now Sonic? It always has mix reactions, even when the changes are major. If the Nintendo fans are happy with a Sonic game? Like Lost World is leaning towards? Then many Sonic fans have very mixed reactions to it, like we been seeing lately. It always comes down to that, every year.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd say yes to that notion because Lost World's gotten a heck of a lot more marketing and commercials out, and tons of screenshots. Not to mention we've gotten a much better look at the premise of Lost World than Mario 3D World. And yes, there is the Mario Galaxy atmosphere to help out as well.

Edited by Jovahexeon

I've just got one thing to say Mario 3d World will outsell sonic lost world I am not kidding since well you know it's Mario.

I've just got one thing to say Mario 3d World will outsell sonic lost world I am not kidding since well you know it's Mario.

Maybe, maybe not. I know it's been a while, but Sonic has had multiple victories over Mario. Lost World might be an envoy of those days.

*is more excited for Pokemon X and Y than Lost World AND 3DWorld*

Personally, I'm hoping SLoW is garnering more hype than SM3DW. It seems to be, from what I've seen. Then again I might just have a bias in the first place. Sonic has garnered multiple outsold games when up against Mario, however, and I'm hoping this will occur with SLoW.

^Sonic isn't popular in Japan, so once we factor in WW sales, i wouldn't really count on it. :3

Why is Sonic not popular in Japan, dare I ask?

Why is Sonic not popular in Japan, dare I ask?

He's a very western-ish series. Still incredibly Japanese design-wise, but yet still a tad too western-y for the public eye's taste there. I'm pretty sure it fits a sort of cult following there in the same way really Japanese-y (and somewhat obscure) titles have a distinct cult following in America and Europe.

But yeah, he's not very popular there. The hype reception there is lukewarm at best.

He's a very western-ish series. Still incredibly Japanese design-wise, but yet still a tad too western-y for the public eye's taste there. I'm pretty sure it fits a sort of cult following there in the same way really Japanese-y (and somewhat obscure) titles have a distinct cult following in America and Europe.

But yeah, he's not very popular there. The hype reception there is lukewarm at best.

I know that Sonic's attitude back then was meant for a Western appeal, yes?  I would have thought the 90s games to have more appeal than the 00s'/10s' games, as well. Here I thought Japan was very well liked publicly back there. It's what I assumed kept SEGA's funding alive during the mid 2000s.

Sonic's fanbase grew a bit in Japan when the Adventure series came around. Strangely enough though, fans of the series in Japan (specifically fanartists) seem to draw and fan-rave most over Sonic 06.. :v

What if nintendo is holding off on showing off 3d world  so that lost world can make more sales because I think even they know that even the mention of mario gets people jumping in their seats and seeing as though they are partnered with sega for this, they want lost world to sale well and then maybe 2 or 3 weeks down the line after lost world has had its time in the limelight, they show off 3d world to raise awareness of that.

That is a good theory afterall they want their console to sell so what better way to do it then keep 3D world under wraps while sonic lost world gets exposure.

Sonic's fanbase grew a bit in Japan when the Adventure series came around. Strangely enough though, fans of the series in Japan (specifically fanartists) seem to draw and fan-rave most over Sonic 06.. :v

Wow... I... I don't even know where to begin with that.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't really know how to respond to this topic only a few days ago, because we really didn't know much about 3D World. I'll say that, before the trailer in that direct on the 1st, I was more hyped for Lost World by a wide margin. 3D World looked pretty damn solid (and holy frick playable Princess Peach alone had me interested, not to mention the game looking pretty fun on it's own) but it hadn't wowed me yet. Meanwhile Sonic Lost World has been appealing to me on many levels in terms of not just Sonic games but games in general, so of course I was (and still am) really excited for it.

Then that trailer showed up.

3D World looks pretty amazing. There's a lot of new ideas, the game looks beautiful, and the bosses look pretty darn fun, if easy. Of course, I could say all of those things about SLW as well. So yeah, I'm equally hyped for both games, myself! As a Sonic and Mario fan, I couldn't be happier at the moment, heh.

But how does the internet in general feel? ...I dunno. It's kinda hard to gauge. I wouldn't be surprised if that last 3DW trailer increased hype for the game to a point at least equal, if not surpassing SLW, though.

Edited by ElementofChaos
  • Thumbs Up 2

The new Mario trailer surpassed SLW in hype. But remember... there's 5+ SLW trailers, its weeks from launch, and we know a LOT about the game. All Mario had was E3 and this new one  that caused a 180 on the general opinion of the game. I think Sega should take some marketing cues from nintendo honestly. They keep over-saturating us with videos. They spoiled ALL of Generations in trailers(even though the demo leak did already).

On another note, it kinda makes me sad how this Mario game gets press on major news sites(Yahoo, NBC), while Sonic Lost World, despite being hyped got almost none. The Sonic brand name still has a ways to go to recover :(

Edited by thatguyfrom03

Everything changed with the trailer. I really think what gave 3D World the push is how Nintendo actually didn't play their hand with it until much closer to release. You notice they actually sort of trickle out information with most of their games, and it works incredibly well for them. SEGA, at least where Sonic is concerned, seems to show too much. Which is actually a thing, yes.

After this new Trailer and other revealed information, Mario 3D World shot past Sonic Lost World for me. This is coming from someone who wasnt really feeling 3D Land to boot.

I still really want Sonic Lost World though. 

Still a bit more hyped for Lost World since it's closer to release, but the space between the two when it came to hype shortened considerably.

Sonic games tend to hype more than Mario games usually anyway, same thing happened with Galaxy 2 vs Sonic Colors despite the former being a much better game.

Edited by SoniManbeast

I didn't like 3d world how it turned out or looks. It basically is a port of 3d land but more added elements to it. Idk why people are claiming it to be a super Mario 64 successor it plays nothing like it. What Nintendo needs to do is make a Mario game that has online and also Mario 64 physics and massive worlds. I am tired of the generic throw backs of the classic games and the cut and paste gameplay the new super Mario bros series is doing. It is like Nintendo can't even be original anymore. The last good title from Nintendo is Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and from what I know of its not made by Nintendo. I don't want 3d Mario to do the same decisions and this is worrying me a bit.

I don't like sonic lost world either because its catering to only one audience. I do like that the badniks are back even though some of their design concepts are wrong but I do still prefer them over the generations badnik designs.

Edited by Sonic 1

There's so much error in the above post that I don't even know where to begin with it.

Super Mario 3D World isn't a port of 3D Land with some elements added to it, and quite frankly what you say is a massive disservice to the game. Take yourself over to the Super Mario 3D World topic if you really want to engage in a proper debate, because everything that you said is flat out wrong.

More to the point, Sonic Lost World isn't catering to one audience. If it was, the game would not look the way it did, nor would it play the way it did.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 7

There's so much error in the above post that I don't even know where to begin with it.   Super Mario 3D World isn't a port of 3D Land with some elements added to it, and quite frankly what you say is a massive disservice to the game. Take yourself over to the Super Mario 3D World topic if you really want to engage in a proper debate, because everything that you said is flat out wrong.   More to the point, Sonic Lost World isn't catering to one audience. If it was, the game would not look the way it did, nor would it play the way it did.
You do know who this guy is, right?

You do know who this guy is, right?

.... Another Sonic fan? Kinda hard to tell with a vague as fuck screen name lol.