Awoo.

Washington Naval Base Shooting.

Stacy

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/shots-fired-inside-us-navy-washington-130950047.html

A Shooting at a Naval Base in Washington has left 13 people dead the capital is in a lockdown. One suspect is dead another is suspected to be on the loose.

The first suspect is dead and has been confirmed to be Aaron Alexis from Fort Worth Texas.

Ten schools and the Senate have been shut down. 

BUSVBzyIgAANfM9.jpg

The area is completely blocked off.

Theaters, Schools,marathon bombings, and now freaking NAVAL BASES?! Wow, for a place that people go to for "protection" it seems pretty dangerous...:/

In before Fox News/Republicans/NRA fucktards claim that more guns could have prevented this...

But seriously though, I wouldn't have thought that a naval base in the nation's capital would be so damn vulnerable to a killing spree, even from within.

I don't know what's sadder, the fact that no-one has made a dig that the gunman was a Texan or the fact that this has become so mundane for me to hear about these days that I feel a joke would even be okay here.

I don't know what's sadder, the fact that no-one has made a dig that the gunman was a Texan or the fact that this has become so mundane for me to hear about these days that I feel a joke would even be okay here.

I'm reserving my digs until we get an idea of why this happened. I'd like to know his motivation.

Oh geez. Everything is getting unsafe in the US. Maybe security has to be strengthened even more now since all this is happening I guess.

Unless you intend to billet soldiers on every street corner in the country, and build a vast drone fleet to watch everyone all the time, merely strengthening security will do nothing to stop would-be shooters.

If we could dig up and address the major root causes of these kinds of crimes, however, perhaps we could get somewhere. Take a chunk out of the bloated defense budget to pay for it, and call it the 'Anti-Paedophile Act' so nobody messes with its passage.

Ya know, they keep defending guns as a right, but all these shootings are practically shooting anti-gun control advocates in the foot over the lack of control being a problem in the first place.

In before Fox News/Republicans/NRA fucktards claim that more guns could have prevented this...

But seriously though, I wouldn't have thought that a naval base in the nation's capital would be so damn vulnerable to a killing spree, even from within.

Excuse me? I'm republican and I don't appreciate being called a name like that. You can say this is the gun's fault all you want, but this is the person that decided to do it fault. The gun didn't go shoot the people, those people did.

The gun definitely helped though, didn't it? I mean, if the assailant had been wielding a knife, the mortality rate would probably be much lower, perhaps to the point to non-existence.

Anyway, the only political figures who come out at times like these to tout pro-gun messages are Republicans (probably at the behest of the firearm lobbyists who give them so many backhanders "campaign donations"); I've just come to expect it from them, which is why I mentioned them. I didn't necessarily aim the remark at those outside the political sphere who belong to the Republican camp, although there are most likely a few of those people who think guns are the solution too.

Gun control laws couldn't even save a freaking naval base. Wow.

Theaters, Schools,marathon bombings, and now freaking NAVAL BASES?! Wow, for a place that people go to for "protection" it seems pretty dangerous...:/

A naval base is actually a brilliant place to go on a shooting spree since most military installations (this one and Fort Hood included) are strictly enforced gun-free zones (outside of security guards/MPs) since they are federal property.

This I didn't know. I just assumed that a naval base (even the HQ) would at least have a contingent of heavily armed naval personnel patrolling it, keeping an eye on things etc. I guess the mental image I had of the place is pretty far off the reality.

Somehow despite living in D.C. I haven't heard about this until a couple hours ago.

I'm not sure how it took place inside of a naval base.

The big thing with gunfree zones, is just that, it is gun free. These bad people know these are gun free zones and thus there will be little resistance or the resistance will be after they have done some bad damage. This is why I don't often agree with gun free zones, because yes it is nice to know that no one around you has a gun, but if something bad happens, that same safe feeling then becomes a nightmare because you know help isn't close by now. It really is a flip on which you prefer more in some cases. At least that's how I see it.

Excuse me? I'm republican and I don't appreciate being called a name like that. You can say this is the gun's fault all you want, but this is the person that decided to do it fault. The gun didn't go shoot the people, those people did.

It's nothing about the gun being at fault than it is the person going out to get the gun in order to start shooting the base up, dude.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not entirely gun free, but I would imagine the perimeter to be guarded but inside I would imagine not everybody is armed to the teeth at the drop of a hat.

Edited by BW199148