Awoo.

Would you say you're OBSESSED with Sonic?

SnipSnap

I made this because I saw a lot of Sonic fans on the web, and they look like they're 100% hooked to him, and doesn't look like they'll change. Not that I have any problems with that, it's that how much they would buy his merchandise and games so much, it's kind of interesting.

So I just made this topic, because after all, this is a Sonic fan site.

At one point, I would probably openly call myself an obsessive fanatic of the series.  But the fact that I've actually skipped many of the more recent games to pursue other interests probably means that I'm no longer obsessed... or "as" obsessed.  I still adore the series to death and believe me, if I had the money to buy new releases on day one while still maintaining other hobbies, then I would totally do that.  But sadly, growing up has meant that I've had to put Sonic on the backburner.  C'est la vie. =/

No.

I love the series but I'm not totally fixated on it. Playing the games (Which I hardly tend to do nowadays), collecting merch, writing for a Sonic website, attending SoS and posting on a forum are pastimes, not something that consumes my life or my thoughts or is in any way 'unhealthy'. I'm passionate about my fandom but I'm not obsessed.

• Thumbs Up 4

Nah. You could say that I was in the past but I play a lot of other games now and have a lot of other games I love, not to mention other interests outside of games. I'm really more a general gaming nut then a Sonic nut now, although the franchise is still my favorite. 

At one point, I would have definitely called myself obsessed. As of Generations though, I've gotten much more detached to the series

Eh.  I only play the games (and watch the occasional AoStH), and not even religiously.

Fuck, I think the last time I played a Sonic game was...uh...I dunno?  When I 100%'ed Generations?

Edited by Carl Brutananadilewski

DA favorites gallery full of Sonic pics? Four Sonic roleplay accounts on Tumblr?

Obsessed? Nah.

For the record I roleplay Finitevus, Archieverse Eggman, Elias Acorn and Gameverse Sonic :3

Edited by Technomage

I buy and beat nearly every Sonic game, my bedroom walls are covered in Sonic, I travelled 600 miles to Sonic Boom, I belong to several Sonic fansites and communities, I have countless Sonic merchandise, and I think about Sonic in some way, shape, or form literally every day. I think to the average person, yes, I am obsessed.

BUT. I personally don't think I can consider myself such. I mean, I can physically go a few weeks without playing a Sonic game or having a lengthy conversation about Sonic to someone. I think the best way to put it is as Verte did, it's a passion. I don't foam at the mouth with every new sliver of Sonic news, I tend to go weeks without even logging on to SSMB, and I won't play a new Sonic game straight through without breaks until I 100% it. So I can't say I'm totally obsessed. I'd say I'm right where I want to be with Sonic, I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the best way to put it is as Verte did, it's a passion. I don't foam at the mouth with every new sliver of Sonic news, I tend to go weeks without even logging on to SSMB, and I won't play a new Sonic game straight through without breaks until I 100% it. So I can't say I'm totally obsessed. I'd say I'm right where I want to be with Sonic, I guess.

Yeah.

You can be intensely passionate about something without it being an outright obsession. I tend to view obsession as an excessive and hindering thing.

If you get arsey with other fans for, say, criticizing Sonic rationally to an obnoxious excessive degree *CoughLostWorldCough* then you ought to evaluate your fandom and attitude towards it because I somehow doubt that flipping your shit at such reasonable views is the right mindframe to be in.

If you're whittling away limited funds on Sonic merch/games to the point of personal debt or skimping on necessities then you ought to evaluate your priorities.

If your fandom is fixated-with to the point of driving others away with good cause on their side then that's not good. Obsession with media is not a substitute for healthy relationships with your family or other people.

• Thumbs Up 2

Let me see, I have dreams about sonic, I listen to the music almost every day, I have Knuckles pics dominating my computer desk top, I have a sonic backpack and about 10 other collectable items.....and I draw them and write about them a lot.... yeah.

I really wouldn't say obsessed.

Yes, I play the games almost every single day. Yes, I listen to the music every day. My desktop and lock screens are custom Lost World wallpapers.

But obsessed? No.

Star Wars. Sonic. Pokemon. Those are priorities, and in that order. I'll gladly collect merch for all three, but not at the expense of more important things.

Even though Sonic forms a huge chunk of my (gaming) childhood and in terms of gaming I haven't gotten involved in the franchise/community of other game franchises that aren't Sonic, I'd hardly call myself obsessed with the series at any point of my life. Passionate as Verte suggested as a substitute, yes, but not obssesed.

I believe out of my total game collection (in terms of retail and digital downloaded games, not counting Sonic games within compilations), probably a little less than 2/3rds of them are non-Sonic games (even though arguably half of them I never really played). I don't invest a lot of time on several Sonic fansites-it's this site for the most part with the occasional check at Sega Forum (before you say anything, it was the first forum I actually signed up in) and Sonic Retro, and I'm not invested with news on all upcoming Sonic games/spinoffs/ports/merchandise/comics/etc. I hardly care for the comics or merch (although I'd be lying if I said there wasn't any piece of merch I would had liked to buy/own), and I grew bored with (and eventually grew to hate) Sonic X, which was the only Sonic show I actually saw on TV while it was in it's original run.

Edited by Princess Yeow
  • Thumbs Up 1

Gonna echo what Verte and Sapphire said and say that I'm moreso passionate about Sonic as opposed to being obsessed.

An obsession is a fixation on anything to a point that it prevents you from performing your daily tasks in a normal manner, and can really hinder your lifestyle. For example, if I made a point to own every possible system to play Sonic games on at the expense of money which I need for food and rent, that would be an unhealthy obsession. I don't think I've ever gone that far.

Now, I do spend plenty of my free time thinking about the series in general. Future game ideas, how a character could be developed, new mechanics, ways to implement old ideas into a new era, etc. I feel that I can spend time simply thinking about Sonic frequently without running the risk of becoming obsessive. I would never hold it above other more important things in my life, such as my friends, family and my Faith. 

I'm definitely a fan, a serious one at that. But then again, I've never attended a convention dedicated to Sonic, nor have I immediately dished out my hard-earned cash for a new game without careful consideration. 

It's all about maintaining a healthy balance. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, as everyone else says, I'm not obsessed with it, but I am very passionate and loyal to the series. I play other stuff all the time. I haven't played a sonic game for awhile at the moment, but could I pick one up whenever I want, yes. I have some sonic stuff around my room and I roleplay and look at sonic pictures all the time. I look at other stuff though. I'm not totally obsessed with the series to where it keeps me from doing other things. It is just a nice passtime that I usually love the most of any of my other games for the most part.

• Thumbs Up 2

No.

I love the series but I'm not totally fixated on it. Playing the games (Which I hardly tend to do nowadays), collecting merch, writing for a Sonic website, attending SoS and posting on a forum are pastimes, not something that consumes my life or my thoughts or is in any way 'unhealthy'. I'm passionate about my fandom but I'm not obsessed.

Try telling that to my folks and see the kind of reaction you'd get...

*wakes up in the morning and the first thing he sees is Sonic looking at him from the 7ft tall Wreck-It Ralph poster he has next to his bed*

*wanders over to his wardrobe shuffling through Sonic shirt after Sonic shirt figuring out which one to wear.. decides to wear his XXL Sonic onesie in favour of his Sega employee only Team Sonic jacket signed by Yuji Naka*

*accidentally kicks a Sonic slipper into one of his cats as he heads past his shelf dedicated to 1991 - Present Sonic merch in his living and into the kitchen*

*Pours coffee into a Japanese UFO catcher Sonic coffee mug, boots up his lap top where a Sonic themed windows 7 loads up as he starts up Smash Bros Brawl where he picks Sonic and hopes the game doesn't discon... aw damn it*

*Sees this topic and inserts a reply*

Nope.

Edited by Jix Hedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 4

Gonna echo what Verte and Sapphire said and say that I'm moreso passionate about Sonic as opposed to being obsessed.

An obsession is a fixation on anything to a point that it prevents you from performing your daily tasks in a normal manner, and can really hinder your lifestyle. For example, if I made a point to own every possible system to play Sonic games on at the expense of money which I need for food and rent, that would be an unhealthy obsession. I don't think I've ever gone that far.

Now, I do spend plenty of my free time thinking about the series in general. Future game ideas, how a character could be developed, new mechanics, ways to implement old ideas into a new era, etc. I feel that I can spend time simply thinking about Sonic frequently without running the risk of becoming obsessive. I would never hold it above other more important things in my life, such as my friends, family and my Faith. 

I'm definitely a fan, a serious one at that. But then again, I've never attended a convention dedicated to Sonic, nor have I immediately dished out my hard-earned cash for a new game without careful consideration. 

It's all about maintaining a healthy balance. 

Why would doing mean a fan is obsessed? That would be going to a place where you can meet and interact with fellow fans. So are all the people who go to SoS and Sonic Boom too "obsessed" and should not go?

Edited by Chaos Warp

I was certainly obsessed when I was a kid. Everything was Sonic when I was 7-14 years old... to the point where other kids would pick on me for it.

These days, nah. I'm a big scary adult these days with yknow, responsibilities and stuff. I play the games, natter on Sonic/STC forums and I dabble a bit in doodling, but nothing along the lines of when I was a kid.

Nope, not obsessed just very interested and a bit passionate. The only thing was that at one time was a bit obsessed with AoSTH but that's because it was on TV and had a hunch that it would disappear off the air (and it did), still like the show though.

There are other games that I do play and not just the platformers (e.g. Mario, Donkey Kong, Sly Cooper) but also some action and racing games so the most in terms of a Sonic game probably about once a week however sometimes none for months. Personally do not have all of the available Sonic games and there are some that are literally avoided such as Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06 but have played a large amount of the games, some that I really enjoyed, some were to test and others were to sprite rip. At one point, Sonic Heroes put me off the series due to the amount of bugs making it not fun to play (this was the Gamecube version) until the Sonic Rush series where it was a casual play and was also out of console gaming at the time but the interest didn't come back until Sonic Generations and working backwards towards Unleashed (HD) and Colours. Will I get Sonic Lost World? Most likely. Will I go in depth explaining and arguing every flaw about the game while looking at every info every 2 minutes? No. When I was a sprite ripper, mainly focused on some of the Sonic games but that was a very small section of sprite rips by comparison to some other sections.

As for merchandise the only things were given as gifts; a classic Sonic plushie from the late 90s, a Sonic Generations era classic Sonic plushie, a Sonic X figure and a free Sonic Riders poster that a console shop was giving out (to this day haven't played Sonic Riders). Plus a box set of AoSTH, a box set of SatAM and a one DVD of Sonic Underground that personally didn't like. No interest in the comics apart from the late 90s when Sonic the Comic was around and casually got a few but Sonic was still strong at the time.

Sometimes listen to the games music and sometimes look at pictures though but not every day since life takes a priority over the wacky blue hedgehog.

Also have not attended any Sonic events, it's not to say that they are bad or anything (they are probably very good), just that the interest isn't strong enough to pull in towards the Summer of Sonic.

I guess I'LL say something about myself now.

So, I'm not obsessed myself, just that I like the franchise a lot.

I would consider myself a Sonic fan, just not like a "crazy, extremely and incredibly addicted" fan. I have a decent amount of his games, but not like an insane collector that gets every single game on the first day it comes out. I also rarely have his merchandise. All that is because I'm really careful and considerate about my money.

So I guess I'm a bit of a "balanced" Sonic fan.

Sonic is a franchise I grew up with, and I want to see it continue and succeed. Like others said, I am passionate about the character and the franchise, but not to a level you'd call obsession. I won't buy a (which I deem) poor quality Sonic game and I don't heavily invest in merchandise or go to conventions, but I love the blue guy nonetheless and want to see quality games come from him.

Edited by Symbotic

My interest in just about anything waxes and wanes from time to time... much LESS so with Sonic, but still with that too. I wouldn't say I'm obsessed, but even when I'm not really actively "into" Sonic, I still have a great deal of respect for the franchise, I still wear my Sonic t-shirts, and I definitely still adore that hedgehog himself. ^_^