Awoo.

The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014...

kimplix

You can run Steam on a console?

Well... they were at one point going to bring it to the PS3 when Portal 2 came out, or at least that overlay thing... and we all know how well that went.

But yeah, I am curious as to what they mean about living room machines, it's got to be PC's/Laptops, I can't see it being much else than that.

Haha, awesome!

Between the Wii U, Xbox One and PS4, I'm thinking that the Steam OS Box thingie will be my "home console" of choice. 

Haha, awesome!

Between the Wii U, Xbox One and PS4, I'm thinking that the Steam OS Box thingie will be my "home console" of choice. 

It's just an OS right now, we have no confirmation of any sort of "Steambox", just the OS is confirmed at this point. 

Yeah it's really unclear whether they are bringing out a device or whether they expect you to have a seperate PC in your living room or... what.

What IS clear is, whatever this living room device is, you'll be able to launch games on your PC and have them streamed to your TV, like some kinda crazy reverse Wii U.  Which sounds really cool considering generally speaking the PC version of most games is the best version due to custom content potential.  This'll really allow for the best of both worlds, games which we can enjoy the community content and customisation capabilities of PC play, with previously console-focused features such as local split-screen multiplayer being a lot easier to enjoy.

Ah, my mistake.

But the basic idea I was getting at was playing Steam on a dedicated machine instead of a computer.

Tired of hooking my laptop up via HDMI.

Edited by Indigo Rush

It's a free OS fully built around Steam, that's it.

If you have a device that can operate Linux you can install it. PS3s used to be able to do that.

It's a free OS fully built around Steam, that's it.

If you have a device that can operate Linux you can install it. PS3s used to be able to do that.

So say I have a Windows PC could I install this on my PC and use both Windows and this on the same PC?

Ahhhhhh, now I understand. I'm not sure if I'm tech savvy enough to figure all that out. Maybe now's a good time to get used to Linux. 

So, looking at my main predictions:

- Steam OS

- Steam Controller

- Steambox

That's one confirmed, and NeoGAF seems to be making the same bet. Hoo, boy. I am excite. The controller especially could potentially render the twin-stick model of controllers completely obsolete.

Edit: Thinking about it now...

Valve has ripped Microsoft's shit before by completely curbstomping Games For Windows Live with Steam, and that's right in Microsoft's backyard. If they're serious about this Steam OS thing, they'll want to give gamers a reason to switch over, and Valve states right there on the page that they've already optimized the OS to dramatically increase performance on the graphical side of things and are hard at work on audio and input latency. If they give developers a compelling reason to develop for it and gamers a compelling reason to use it, Microsoft and DirectX could finally have genuine competition on their hands in the PC gaming space, something MS has spent more than a decade trying to stamp out. And competition is a good thing.

Edited by Shirou Emiya
  • Thumbs Up 1

If there is indeed a Steambox, I wonder how they would handle being able to run ALL of Steam's games, as some require truly MONSTER PC's, which, in terms of price, can run in the 1000-1500 range...............I wonder how'll they'll keep the price down.

Edited by Chaos Warp

So does this mean I can save my money and tell Windows 7 and its shitty product keys to piss off?

It's great for playing games, yes.

But it's a bit backwards of everything else a PC is used for as I don't think it's intended to do things outside of Steam. Windows 7 is still an excellent platform which includes gaming. I personally think Linux is pretty bad. At the most I guess Linux is OK for something that is free. If someone gave me both Windows and Linux and asked which one to throw away, I'd throw away Linux.

So say I have a Windows PC could I install this on my PC and use both Windows and this on the same PC?

Dual booting.

I have Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 on my PC. It's possible but you may have to tool around with partitions and stuff. It's painless though.

If there is indeed a Steambox, I wonder how they would handle being able to run ALL of Steam's games, as some require truly MONSTER PC's, which, in terms of price, can run in the 1000-1500 range...............I wonder how'll they'll keep the price down.

Games have to be programmed for Linux for them to work. This is why you can not currently game on Linux machines yet. Many games simply don't support the OS. Valve is trying to change this by stepping forward into the Linux department.

Sure it will be cool as some sort of gaming device, but it really doesn't sound practical for people that already have Windows. There's no need to immediately ditch your current OS.

Edited by Autosaver

As well as Valve making efforts to encourage Linux support from all developers, as a fallback the streaming features will allow you to play any game that runs on your PC on the TV device too.

Day 2: Steam Machines!

Also, day 3 confirmed for controller announcement? 

Am I going to be using a mouse and a keyboard in the living-room?
If you want. But Steam and SteamOS work well with gamepads, too. Stay tuned, though - we have some more to say very soon on the topic of input.

So they actually fucking made a Steambox........how about that...................................So from what I can gather they are basically making PC's optimized for living room play?

I won't be buying the PS4 or Xbox One yet now that they've announced this. I'll be waiting until they tell more about it and as we see how it comes along.

If this turns out good I'd happily buy one. I guarantee tomorrow will be the controller announcement. I'd bet 5$.

Can I hack this box? Run another OS? Change the hardware? Install my own software? Use it to build a robot?
Sure.

Yep, I'm interested. As long as companies can keep them in a good price range I expect good things from this.

Edited by xXx_420b1az3it_5W4G_y0L0_x

They are not making SteamOS devices themselves, only prototypes for testing.  After that they'll license the SteamOS to manufacturers to make their own devices, sort of like the way pre-built PCs are already, so you can buy the kind of one you want for your needs.

Or you can build your own SteamOS device.  And if you don't like verything about what's on the market, go ahead and mod.  SteamOS will even be open source.

Guys did you know that Valve are very very cool.

• Thumbs Up 2

They are not making SteamOS devices themselves, only prototypes for testing.  After that they'll license the SteamOS to manufacturers to make their own devices, sort of like the way pre-built PCs are already, so you can buy the kind of one you want for your needs.

Or you can build your own SteamOS device.  And if you don't like verything about what's on the market, go ahead and mod.  SteamOS will even be open source.

Guys did you know that Valve are very very cool.

True which is awesome and why I hold out a lot of hope for this. Having it made by different companies will give more competition and hopefully keep prices reasonable (unlike the consoles), plus you'll be able to shop around quite a bit.

I like you can build your own too, but it makes sense. Those who want the convenience of consoles and not messing with stuff can get the pre-made ones and others can build them how they like. Two different groups who both get what they want in the end.

There's a lot of speculation and arguing over the possibility that Valve may start releasing their own games as PC-exclusive. Not just because of the Steam Machines, now that Valve are essentially trying to compete directly with the Big Three in a way, but also because porting to those systems would result in inherently inferior ports due to the lack of certain Steam features, especially stuff such as the Workshop. I doubt Valve would want to subject console gamers to what happened to the console version of TF2, which was unable to get any kinda of free content expansions.

Edit: oh my god this is amazing

M0Md9nI.jpg

Edited by Shirou Emiya

So the last reveal is in 20 minutes..........................anyone have any guesses as to what it could be?

Edit: oh my god this is amazing

M0Md9nI.jpg

ah yes pretentious PC master race bullshit from people who can't accept that some like the convenience and lower price of a console and are willing to trade off the positive aspects that PC gaming has

At least it has a slightly different message then normal lol. 

Edited by Chaos Warp

but I already listed a $350 PC for gaming...

When will Steam OS be available to the public?

Next year they said.  The prototype Steam OS devices for beta testing will be shipping out this year.

So the last reveal is in 20 minutes..........................anyone have any guesses as to what it could be?

I looked at the controller Valve patented and this is what I saw... (I added the + clearly)

EYr6VtR.png

I'm betting. 5$ anyone? tongue.png

Edited by xXx_420b1az3it_5W4G_y0L0_x