Awoo.

The Rouge the Bat topic

8ther

What does the fanbase think of her? Is she in the same boat with Silver and Elise as the most hated Sonic or is she fan favorite along the lines of Blaze and Shadow? We know she's hated by most critics( most notably Screw Attack who considers her to be one of the worse women in gaming)  but exactly how does the majority of the Sonic fanbase view Rouge the Bat?

If I recall correctly, the fanbase is largely divided on Rouge.  I personally think she's... okay.  I mean, I don't like her that much, but I don't absolutely hate her.

Edited by Akito

I can stand her now thanks to her new Voice actor. It fits much better with her character compared to her 4kids dub and even her SA2 voice actor IMO. But overall...yeah she's okay. Like the rest of the cast, she has potential to be a vey interesting character in the plots; SEGA/ST just never use her.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rouge? PFFFTTT What are you furry!?

Morrigan is where its at!

JOOOOKING ASIDE

Rouge is a decent character. She may be a generic femme fatale but she's a bit different from the other characters. But she ended up being a good guy mole in the end and I don't think Sega knows what to do with her afterwords that she became a hanger on. She can be a good character with the right plot but until then she's stuck being known as a Government spy that everyone knows apparently. She may as well change jobs since everyone pretty much knows her little secrets.

So anyways, back to admiring Morrigan!

Edited by Crow the BOOLET
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think Rouge is a perfect example of Sonic Teams lacking ability to do something worthwhile with their cast as of late. There are so many things she can do with this series, but after SA2 they've currently made her to Shadow what Tails used to be for Sonic, a character whom is there as a hang on for the other instead of her own independent entity and character that can co-exist and cooperate instead of just follow.

• Thumbs Up 7

*Prepares to be attacked*

As you guys already know, I dislike her and just most of the things she did and stood for. I don't really want to get into this again to where I'm attacked for it though. I just dislike a girl that acts like the way she does really. Call me some weirdo all you want, but I just never have cared for her and never will. Yes, she could easily have been written ALOT better to where so many people didn't think the same things. JUst look at some fanart of her for a bit and you will see what alot of people think of her.

• Thumbs Up 3

*Prepares to be attacked*

As you guys already know, I dislike her and just most of the things she did and stood for. I don't really want to get into this again to where I'm attacked for it though. I just dislike a girl that acts like the way she does really. Call me some weirdo all you want, but I just never have cared for her and never will. Yes, she could easily have been written ALOT better to where so many people didn't think the same things. JUst look at some fanart of her for a bit and you will see what alot of people think of her.

This is exclusive to Rouge?

• Thumbs Up 6

I think Rouge is a perfect example of Sonic Teams lacking ability to do something worthwhile with their cast as of late. There are so many things she can do with this series, but after SA2 they've currently made her to Shadow what Tails used to be for Sonic, a character whom is there as a hang on for the other instead of her own independent entity and character that can co-exist and cooperate instead of just follow.

I agree, I like Rouge. She's one of my favorites, but she and a lot of other characters suffer from having untapped potential. I really wish she could have a more fleshed out role like how she was in SA2, but since heroes she hasn't really had any promoting roles in the games as of late. I don't know if she's any different in the comics, am assuming she's probably had more luck there.

Edited by Da Victoes
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh boy, here I go.

hate her. HATE. She's easily my most despised reoccurring character; in my eyes at least, there's never been any meat to her besides "lol jiggle physics" and fanservice. I mean really, I like all of the females except for her and if she was axed... I personally couldn't care less.

• Thumbs Up 5

there's never been any meat to her besides "lol jiggle physics" and fanservice.

I kind of disagree.  Kind of.  Though it's not been implemented particularly well, Rouge has been shown to be the supportive, caring figure for Shadow.  So... she has that going for her.  Anyway, I kind of like the idea of a flamboyant but petty thief who, for the most part, cares about no one but herself... but has a bit of a (non-romantic) soft spot for Shadow.  I like the idea of Shadow being the character that causes her to break her own agenda because of the empathy she feels towards him.

Again, though, it's not been implemented super well, but I'd say she did have a slightly bigger than just fanservice.

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh boy, here I go.

hate her. HATE. She's easily my most despised reoccurring character; in my eyes at least, there's never been any meat to her besides "lol jiggle physics" and fanservice. I mean really, I like all of the females except for her and if she was axed... I personally couldn't care less.

Now this is what we call being shallow. It goes without saying that if all you're judging her is just for how she looks and her "jiggle physics," then you're not even making any attempt to look at everything else she's done.

JUst look at some fanart of her for a bit and you will see what alot of people think of her.

Yeah, it's called Rule 34. It's like that for Cream, of all characters, as well.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just started watching sonic X again and I'd have to say, she's easily among the best characters in the show. She's at least the most well rounded. She has a villainous side but also a genuine caring side. In that respect at least she's got a lot more depth than most characters in the series.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well being a secret agent or whatever the heck she is requires some of the SA2 story's dressings like GUN or the President who I really don't like to see outside of SA2. Basically she needs a new job to stay relevant. She should steal gems more often, because it places her in new situations. She should stay hidden until she can be useful to a story.

Edited by American Ristar

Oh this 100%.

I really love Rouge, her design is so unique and I love that the franchise was willing to introduce a strong female character with some serious attitude to rival Amy's niceness. I do hate that she has become Shadow's sidekick though on the rare occasion she even shows up. To go from being a using bitch who's only concern was her own desires to being a tag along best friend who doesn't even mention Jewels in 06 is disappointing. I also wish she had remained one of the main characters because she had some awesome dialogue and interactions with the rest of the cast in Battle and now she can't even get a place in an Olympic spin off series.

• Thumbs Up 3

Most people who hate her are either total hypocrites who say she's nothing but a pair of tits because that is all they pay attention to despite chastising the action, or simply relate her to the dark era of Sonic games where he started to have (whisper it) storylines.

I love Rouge, ESPECIALLY when teamed up as a unit with Shadow and Omega.  She's a jerk with a heart of gold and brings life and vibrancy to Shadow's seriousness and Omega's silliness.

Unfortunately her close ties to GUN make her a difficult character to place into throwaway minimalistic storylines like Sonic Colours though.

She has a unique personality I think.  There's no character who would act the same as she does in a situation, and for that she's a worthwhile addition.  But she should be used effectively in a story if she's going to be used at all.

• Thumbs Up 6

Rouge is a character with a lot of underdeveloped potential to me. With her skills set, unique style of personality compared to the rest of the characters, and the ability to be a bit darkly funny, she could be a really strong member of the cast. But until Sonic Team decide they want to flesh out their characters more, we're gonna be stuck with this current Rouge, which seem to be only perceived as an over sexualised "whore". 

Edited by Symbotic

I do hate that she has become Shadow's sidekick though on the rare occasion she even shows up. To go from being a using bitch who's only concern was her own desires to being a tag along best friend who doesn't even mention Jewels in 06 is disappointing.

I don't agree with this, I've always seen them as having a mutual respect, a very brotherly-sisterly type relationship.  Plus if she didn't become a bit more caring, her SA2 character arc would have been thrown out the window.  Shadow's sacrifice meant a lot to her.

I also love that she's the real team leader in Sonic Heroes.  If anything Shadow and Omega are "her boys" in that game, she's directing them the whole time because Shadow's confused and Omega needs a leash.  2006 had some of the strongest bonding between the three yet, which almost makes me sad it was erased.  Shadow's was the only decent storyline in that game.

Going off what Jez said, its pretty funny how  the primary reason people don't like Rouge is because she has done the reprehensible thing of...having breasts. Seriously, most of us here are in our mid-teens-mid twenties on this site and yet we still get into a hissy over some cleavage? Grow up people, gawd.

Anyway, I love Rouge. She didn't have that large of a role in SA2, well compared to Sonic, Shadow & Eggman anyway, but I enjoyed her for being our first villainess, even tho technically she wasn't a villain. Kinda sad how she just...fell out of the spotlight after that game because she was more or less one of the more important supporting characters up until 06, and with the current games having far more contained stories, I doubt we won't be seeing her for a very long time in a prominent role and if she does, its gonna be related to Shadow.

I really don't think Rouge is all that controversial, even back when she was prominent I Don't remember much controversy over her, most of that was towards Shadow. She had to have been somewhat popular otherwise she wouldn't have appeared as much as she did.

I don't agree with this, I've always seen them as having a mutual respect, a very brotherly-sisterly type relationship.  Plus if she didn't become a bit more caring, her SA2 character arc would have been thrown out the window.  Shadow's sacrifice meant a lot to her.

I also love that she's the real team leader in Sonic Heroes.  If anything Shadow and Omega are "her boys" in that game, she's directing them the whole time because Shadow's confused and Omega needs a leash.  2006 had some of the strongest bonding between the three yet, which almost makes me sad it was erased.  Shadow's was the only decent storyline in that game.

I like that she's become more caring, but I also wouldn't mind her being more of a theif. Like there was so much more to Rouge's character without everything relating to Shadow. Nowadays, she doesn't really do anything unless its related to Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like Rouge as Knuckles' girlfriend. And honestly, I wish they would change her design to be a little less, well, promiscuous so her personality will shine a little more. She is witty, and smart. She also, despite that selfishness people detect when they first meet her in the games, she is actually a kindhearted person, who would risk her life to defend her friends.  She makes a good confidant for shadow and anyone else who is willing to talk to her. She is kind, but strait forward. and she can be manipulative at times, whether that be a good or bad thing would depend on the way she uses it.

Honestly, as  much as the game Sonic '06 is hated by fans, I really liked the part where Rouge told Shadow that "no matter if the whole world turns on you, I will always be your friend" (or something like that ). because I feel that is her true personality, but she is judged by her appearance, as so many people are falsely judged... and that trait is often overlooked by fans.

• Thumbs Up 2

Rouge the Bat?

Well she was my favorite Sonic female for a while (until Blaze showed up).  While I can see why some would have a problem with her design, I actually think it's quite interesting.  When I first saw Rouge in SA2's manual, I thought Sega was either crazy or had a lot balls to have this kind of character in a rated E game. (IIRC, besides a few jokes, it wasn't a big deal).

As for her character, the fact she's a jewel thief (she's calls herself a treasure hunter) and a government spy makes her awesome and she's fun to play as since she's was just as athletic as Knuckles.  She certainly has the potential to interesting again but I don't see that happening anytime soon.  I think the last time she was important in was Sonic Rivals 2 back in '07 (not Chronicles because that's been confirmed to be non-canon).

Edited by FireBird75
  • Thumbs Up 2

I know I've been called shallow for not liking rouge in other topics, but that is just how I feel about her. Most of her character traits, I can be honest, aren't that bad. If she had stuck to just being the sneaky theif that cares for Shadow in a way, that wouldn't be so bad. But, so often all I see around her is how much can I flirt, or shake myself around to get anything that I want, and it just bugs me to no end. I've just never liked girls that use their looks to get things they want like that. That's why I go for personality over looks, because if you go for looks, you are likely to get rather shallow people that only care for themselves and what they can get by using those looks against people.

I know that's not all she is about, but it is a turn off to me definately.

Eh, Rouge is a character who exists in the series in my eyes. I don't hold that much of an opinion on her, but I kinda wish she sounded more like her age/her Dreamcast era voice (haven't played Generations in yonks, so I dunno if they've made her sound younger than her 40-year-old voice or not) and maybe her Heroes outfit should be an alternate outfit (like Wario in SSBB).