Awoo.

The Rouge the Bat topic

8ther

Her ears and her clinging to ceilings sometimes.

Then again, you might as well ask what, if anything, vaguely resembles a hedgehog in Amy or an echidna in Knuckles.

Edited by CreepySpiritSonic

I always thought that she was based more off of a Batman or Cat Woman kind of thing.. she has a bat mobile after all wink.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Her ears and her clinging to ceilings sometimes.

Then again, you might as well ask what, if anything, vaguely resembles a hedgehog in Amy or an echidna in Knuckles.

Knuckles digs, spins, things which are typically associate with echindas.

Amy?.....I got nothing.

But yea, none of the characters really act like the animals they're based on....being cartoon animals and what not. But it stands out with Rouge because her body is far more humanlike. Its not Uncanny Vallley, but still...

Knuckles digs, spins, things which are typically associate with echindas.

Spinning in this series is nothing special considering foxes and rabbits can apparently do that and fly, nevermind it's one of the central aspects of this series.

And these other traits of echindas are also associated with hedgehogs, but you don't see any of the resident ones doing that.

I thought we were talking about "resemblance" mainly by physical appearance, not abilities.

If Rouge's arms were her wings, how could she carry things while flying?

She could store them in her bra like we're led to believe she does with the Master Emerald shards in SA2.

Edited by Spooky Akita

Hammerspace.

AKA buttspace, quillspace, or boobspace considering where things usually get pulled out of.

She could store them in her bra like we're led to believe she does with the Master Emerald shards in SA2.

So if she's carrying Shadow and Omega...

I like Rouge as Knuckles' girlfriend.

Actually this.

Not that I'm crazy for couples and pairings, or that I even expect her to be a girlfriend, but the flirting scenes between Knux and Rouge in SA2 were extremely amusing to me. Characters do well in their originally intended roles. That's really the problem with Rogue and Shadow both right now. She fails at being a Shadow stick-on because she was originally meant to be a foil to Knuckles, right down to her play style even. She is supposed to be Catwoman to Knuckles' Batman (or Black Cat to Knuckles' Spider Man if you prefer). He plays the straight man too concerned with duty, and she's the carefree thief. But they're really in the same business and they admire how each other operate. They get in each other's way, quip at each other, one-up one another, and flirt. She's his foil, that's her role. It's been done in other series, and they did it in SA2, and should we see another game more involving Knuckles I'd love to see some more interaction between these two. Only right now Knuckles hasn't seen much story time.

She is supposed to be Catwoman to Knuckles' Batman (or Black Cat to Knuckles' Spider Man if you prefer).

Um, despite Rouge fitting perfectly with the two Cats, Knuckles doesn't fit Batman or Spider-man compared to Shadow or Sonic, respectively. Batman is too stoic and dark like we associate with Shadow, and Spider-man is too playful like we see in Sonic.

I think you'd be better off with the Emma Frost to Cyclops (and even that can be a stretch considering the whole Jean Grey thing).

To be honest, I like her more as a flirt to all the male characters than just one in particular. Sure, she can show more interest to Knuckles since she's his foil, but we can go beyond that box like they've done with her outside the main games at times.

So if she's carrying Shadow and Omega...

Yup, same deal! =3

Actually this.

Not that I'm crazy for couples and pairings, or that I even expect her to be a girlfriend, but the flirting scenes between Knux and Rouge in SA2 were extremely amusing to me. Characters do well in their originally intended roles. That's really the problem with Rogue and Shadow both right now. She fails at being a Shadow stick-on because she was originally meant to be a foil to Knuckles, right down to her play style even. She is supposed to be Catwoman to Knuckles' Batman (or Black Cat to Knuckles' Spider Man if you prefer). He plays the straight man too concerned with duty, and she's the carefree thief. But they're really in the same business and they admire how each other operate. They get in each other's way, quip at each other, one-up one another, and flirt. She's his foil, that's her role. It's been done in other series, and they did it in SA2, and should we see another game more involving Knuckles I'd love to see some more interaction between these two. Only right now Knuckles hasn't seen much story time.

I honestly do like that she's also been given the role of someone who empathizes and looks after Shadow.  It gives her a bit more dimension in the way that despite being a thief who cares more about herself than others, she still has at least one person she cares about, namely due to empathy.  However, I would love to see more of her acting as a foil to Knuckles.

• Thumbs Up 1

CSS - Whatever, I'm comparing the pair to other well known pairs. She's the flirty thief character.

But before Sonic Team goes past any box with their characters, don't you think they should get them back in the box at all? Where is Rouge now. She's nowhere in this series, her role is nothing.

I honestly do like that she's also been given the role of someone who empathizes and looks after Shadow.  It gives her a bit more dimension in the way that despite being a thief who cares more about herself than others...

But where have we really seen her empathize with Shadow? As far as I'm concerned they're coworkers. I can't remember a scene where she has a heart to heart with him, or expresses real concern.

And I don't mean to divert the topic but let me just throw it out there, why is it that characters in this series develop in one direction after their debut and then just stay there? Tails developed into tech guy, now it's his defining role. Knuckles developed into sidekick #3. Shadow is an agent. Rouge is an agent. And all the others fell off the planet during Dark Gaia I guess. I don't know, it seems like less of development and more of putting them on a shelf, right?

Edited by American Ristar

CSS - Whatever, I'm comparing the pair to other well known pairs. She's the flirty thief character.

But before Sonic Team goes past any box with their characters, don't you think they should get them back in the box at all? Where is Rouge now. She's nowhere in this series, her role is nothing.

I would really like to see rouge back as well. and like you, I think she is a good character to be for Knuckles, however, like Akito said,I also like the way she is towards Shadow. I think the way she interacts with other characters builds her up a bit, but I still think she was created just for Knuckles, so she and Knuckles should be around each other more, and Sonic can tease him  like he did in Rivals 2 :D

No, because they've already been in the box anyway, and they've gone nowhere because they've never came out of it to grow further.

Rouge being a perfect example of this: she's stuck firmly as Shadow's sidekick and occasional treasure hunter, thief, or government agent, and the problem is that these things she is doesn't get a lot of limelight in the major titles that she's appeared in. SA2 is the only game where all that gets any major attention, but after that all we get is an occasional dip into these things, and then the writer's go "that's enough of that" and change the focus elsewhere without going back to it. She comes in Heroes to steal Eggman's treasure, then that hardly gets brought back up until the end - granted Heroes storytelling and pacing was so barebones the narrative became shit for it. ShTH you get a mention of it as she tags along with you in some of the missions, but that also takes a backseat even when it has more story than Heroes. Sonic 06, at least tries to give her more than the previous two games, but while she does a lot more than previously her role as an agent or treasure hunter are put in the backseat over her general sidekick role to Shadow.

She's gone nowhere less because she doesn't have a role, and more because she given minor ones that don't allow her to do very much in terms of growth.

Oh boy, here I go.   I hate her. HATE. She's easily my most despised reoccurring character; in my eyes at least, there's never been any meat to her besides "lol jiggle physics" and fanservice. I mean really, I like all of the females except for her and if she was axed... I personally couldn't care less.
I'm in the same boat as you, Spinny. "LOL BAT BOOBIES!1!" is the only thing that crosses my mind when I look at her. She's sort of useless, in my honest opinion. (Not that I'm attacking people who like her, obviously.)

"LOL BAT BOOBIES" is probably the only thing that comes to mind because you probably don't even put half as much effort to look at anything else about her that she's done even when it's staring you in the face.

Rouge being a perfect example of this: she's stuck firmly as Shadow's sidekick and occasional treasure hunter, thief, or government agent, and the problem is that these things she is doesn't get a lot of limelight...

The point is that it sucks being Shadow's sidekick. It's a hole not development. She won't get screen time because she's a second-tier character's tag along. Anyway this "outside the box" analogy was about Knuckles not Shadow.

I still need someone to tell me where Rouge expresses care for Shadow beyond being his coworker at GUN.

Edited by American Ristar

Goddammit, I haven't posted in Sonic Discussion in forever. Who the fuck is Rouge again?

Oh... Rouge, eh? Well... Rouge is probably my second favorite female Sonic character to Amy, even ahead of Blaze (who I've always found... pretty meh), in my opinion. But there's a few issues I have. No, none of them involve her boobs, I've always just seen that as her equivalent to Eggman's massive mustache or Knuckles' massive hands, weird as that probably sounds. My issues are more with how she's been handled as a character.

Let's start with SA2. She was a government agent. I always found that made her quite unique, since a lot of the characters seem to avoid GUN like the plague. She was working undercover as part of Eggman's empire, just to spy on him and double-cross Eggman and Shadow when the time was right. I thought that was quite neat, but like a lot of things I would've liked to see that carry over into other games. She could've like, been a source of information on Eggman and what he's doing, and you'd have to pay her in jewels to get her to talk or something. I don't know, I'm not a writer, and it's not like it can really happen now without seeming weird since she already quit working with Eggman. She has a fetish love for jewellery, which is where Knuckles comes in as her on-off love interest. Pretty cool, gives Knuckles someone to interact with, I guess. So overall, she was a cool character to me.

It's from Heroes I felt there was a bit of minor character derailment. She'd been bigged up as an independent spy who no-one really trusted, but from this point we never really got that again. Knuckles still didn't trust her, but he's paranoid anyway. Shadow and Omega certainly trusted her, to the point where it seemed like we never saw her without Shadow and Omega again. I mean yeah, she's the Tails/Knuckles to Shadow's Sonic, I guess (Knuckles seems more likely, the Tails to Shadow's Sonic would be Omega, since he's the most loyal of the two... who the hell cares about this?) but Tails still fucks off to do his own thing here and there (saving Station Square, FINDING THE ENTRANCE in SA2, it's implied that Sonic wasn't with Tails in the gap between Shadow and '06 (and thus, the gap between Shadow and Unleashed), hell even though we don't see it Tails has been off doing his own thing at some point in pretty much every game since SA1), not to mention Knuckles is always guarding that big ol' rock (or at least he's supposed to be!) so I don't see why Rouge can't go off on her own for a while, especially since unlike Tails with Sonic, she seems to have an actual life outside Team Dark (working for the government?). This is also a bit of a problem with Omega, but it hasn't been established if he actually has stuff to do besides hang out with Team Dark. Generations doesn't do much in the way of... anything, but it certainly has a starting point. She seemed to be totally friendly (and flirty~~~) with Sonic and Knuckles, and she didn't even acknowledge Shadow was there. But in the grand scheme of things I don't think that matters.

Overall, while every character besides arguably the main five seems to have been seriously demoted, Rouge kind of hits hard for me. She's become little more than the second banana to Shadow, who himself has become little more than the second banana to Sonic, Eggman and Tails (and Amy and Knuckles, if SLW and Sonic Boom are much to go by), not to mention Shadow's current status as "Punching Bag" which is probably even worse. Like most Sonic charactes, she has a lot of potential, though, and that potential has been explored at one point or another. I'd just like to see that potential come into play again. Despite her seemingly being a solo player, I don't mind her being a member of Team Dark... I just wish that wasn't all there was to her.

You know, when I was typing this, something just hit me. Team Dark is a fuckin'

stupid name.

Edited by Spooky Scary Starscream
  • Thumbs Up 6

Rouge kinda stands out because for a while, she was a main character for a lot of the Post-SA2 era where he appeared in every game; yea, mostly playing second fiddle to Shadow, but still a role nonetheless. Nowadays, she rarely if ever appears, Knuckles at least gets cameos now and then.

What's sad about Rouge is that she's probably not going to play an important role for a long time, and even then the best they'll probably do is just make her mission control for Shadow like Tails is to Sonic nowadays. Such a waste of a decent character, no wonder I'm getting turned off from this series.

• Thumbs Up 2

I still need someone to tell me where Rouge expresses care for Shadow beyond being his coworker at GUN.

In SA2, she shows concern for Shadow when he drifts off into a flashback scene with Maria.  In that same game, she seems to be touched by his sacrifice.  In Heroes, when it's discovered that the Eggman piloting the second Egg Albatross boss is just a dummy, she turns to Shadow with worry.  In ShTH, she seems to view him as a valuable ally.  I'm sure there are other instances in Sonic '06 but I don't remember.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm sure there are other instances in Sonic '06 but I don't remember.

Not really too bothered to check all the cutscenes myself, but the Wave Ocean cutscene past the 1:30 mark is easily the biggest case of it, helped by the (barely holding) line of continuity from SA2 through to S06. It's made more interesting by the fact we've seen a similar scenario just in Sonic's story a bit earlier; while Amy would choose Sonic over the world, even if he was going to cause the destruction of it, Rouge would stand at Shadow's side if the world turned against him in fear of his power, despite how he's thrown away his antagonism, left his past behind and even joined GUN to do good for the world. It's one of those few moments that shows just how mature and deeply caring Rouge's character is, which doesn't get many moments to shine through because of the poor stories and the lack of use/comparisions against the younger females.

Don't really have much to contribute to the actual topic. Rouge's design is plain freaky and offputting for me, but her character was interesting to see develop back when that darker time was the direction of the series. Don't really mind her loss in the new direction.

• Thumbs Up 3

The point is that it sucks being Shadow's sidekick. It's a hole not development. She won't get screen time because she's a second-tier character's tag along. 

That's more or less what I elaborated, yes. Made worse by what seems to be a ridiculous belief that characters can never work outside of the teams they're grouped with.

Anyway this "outside the box" analogy was about Knuckles not Shadow.

Knuckles has his own problems completely unrelated to Rouge, so as far as being "outside the box" goes, that's something to take in the other topic.

Rouge has shown concern in Shadow since Adventure 2. She was like the first to ask where Shadow was after the chaos controlling the ark thing and Shadow dying, and Sonic gave her one of Shadow's inhibitor rings.