Awoo.

The Rouge the Bat topic

8ther

This is exactly what I was looking for.

I was beginning to think their relationship was being played up by us, but this is proof she cares.

Regardless, Team Dark is still from some of the worst main games in the series, nevermind them appearing initially as a gameplay concept. The idea of teams is just dumb too, because not every game is Sonic Free Riders, or some competition where the characters walk around in groups of three for no damn reason. Rouge needs a new job. And Shadow needs a new job. They won't be relevant if they remain in their little buddy group, which I'm still convinced their story is weak for. Rouge can have a history with Shadow of course, but teams stop her from being her own character.

Edited by American Ristar

I have no problem with her character itself. I don't think it adds a great deal to the series but there's nothing particularly annoying about a gem thief with variable loyalties. I like the skill set she has displayed across various media. She was fairly funny in the Japanese dub of X.

My problem with her is that her design is disturbingly oversexualized for an anthropomorphic bat in a video game/comic book/cartoon series that is supposed to be kid friendly. Given the kinds of stories generally told in the Sonic franchise there's no reason for her to have huge boobs hanging out of her shirt. It'd be kind of like drawing a male character in the series (if any of them wore pants) with a huge bulge in the front or something.

Redesign her. There's no reason to have furry fodder in this franchise.

If only Rouge was designed like this, then I would like her:

sonic_redesign__rouge_by_nerfuffle-d5fhd

Credit where it is due, they have other designs too: http://nerfuffle.deviantart.com/ 

Like a psychopathic French ninja with sharpened diamonds coming sticking out of her knuckles?

I'm not a big fan of cleavage-heavy human with bat head either, but I think I'll pass on this as well.  As a concept, though, it looks nice as a completely different character... from a completely different game.

• Thumbs Up 5

It's been how many years now? And people still can't get off the non-issue that Rouge has cleavage?

Jeeze, I have to be one of the biggest boob lovers on this fansite and I forget they exist most of time.

-----

That aside, I can't give any more than what others have stated. Rouge is the sidekick of a character who is shoved in the background. I personally enjoyed the dynamic between Shadow and Rouge, and I'll even go as far as to say when paired together, they're the most interesting. No one likes Shadow though, so by default Rouge has to go too.

Edited by Marco

Jeeze, I have to be one of the biggest boob lovers on this fansite and I forget they exist most of time.

Seriously. Outside of cutscenes, it's almost impossible to notice because (I assume) people are too busy trying to beat the stage than focus on a bat's mammaries.

• Thumbs Up 2

About the only games it's noticable in is SA2 and to a lesser extent Heroes. SA2 because of the jiggle physics, Heroes because she has a boob window in her outfit.

Ever since then, while they're still somewhat large for someone of her design, they've been even less pronounced. And people still cry about it.

That's why I said either several pages back or in a different topic (not sure which one) that the reason I like Rouge is not because of her breasts but because of her personality (or rather, how the writers fail to pull off her personality) and the lack of good use for the character.  I mean, I'm not going to lie and say that her bat breasts don't creep me out a bit, but that's far from the reason I don't care too much about her.

But I think she can easily be improved, which is a lot more than I can say about other characters, who would have to have an extensive makeover before I'm ever "okay" with their presence.

Edited by Spooky Akita

Rouge is just like the other characters. Special in his or her own way. She acts very nice. And when she is with Knuckles they are funny! I not have no problems with Rouge. It be nice to bring her back!

• Thumbs Up 1

(This is actually a bit longer than I intended, and I actually edited this down quite a bit, so my apologies)

I don't mind Rouge much at all, honestly. But, like most characters, I can only harp on her potential, since SEGA has no intention of giving serious attention to anyone introduced after 1992 (and even the attention those characters get is questionable).

Her personality is kind of weird because we're always getting two sides. She can be incredibly unlikable one moment, and likeable in another. Sometimes she’s just greedy, selfish and an all-around total b…bat… yeah. Other times, particularly around her teammates, she’s much more friendly and easy-going.

I actually think it’s interesting that her SA2 incarnation is a little more levelheaded than her later portrayals. A lot of what she says and does while working with Eggman and Shadow is all a ruse so she can get the information she needs. Yeah, she hurts some people along the way, and may have been seriously considering using the confusion of Eggman's demonstration to go on a heist, so I can’t say she’s a particularly nice character, regardless of the ends she achieves.

Later appearances, the qualities that we better know her for are more pronounced (get your mind out of the gutter). She’ll occasionally help out Sonic and friends, but more often than not, there’s some ulterior motive. And that’s when she doesn’t feel like giving them a hard time or feel like they’ll upset her goals. But when she’s around Shadow and Omega, she’s generally more supportive and straightforward; perhaps they rein in her more despicable traits or she’s simply more comfortable around “renegade” characters that are neither good nor bad (but obviously tend to do what’s right in a “the ends justify the means” sort of way).

Her personality in the games and comics isn’t all that different, so the comics pick up some of the games’ slack, but she hasn’t had a ton of development either. At least in the games we see a less selfish side of her, such as letting Shadow crash at her place in Battle or saying that she’ll stick by him even if the world turns against him in ’06. And she doesn’t have to do any of these, and her general personality would suggest that she’d never do any of these without getting a bigger reward out of the whole deal, and as far as I can tell, she doesn’t.

As far as her design goes… I don’t really mind it. I don’t care for the “animal head on a human body” aesthetic, and it can be jarring with Sonic characters  especially as they have very specific proportions. The only thing that bugs me about the design is that it’s so damn hard for me to draw (I’m practicing for something), but that’s more of a personal problem I suppose. At least her, erm, “assets” aren’t quite as pronounced as they were in her debut appearance (and that really only seemed to be the in-game model). EDIT: Though the more I think about it, why are some hung up on the “animal head on a human body” thing with just Rouge? I see Amy isn't far from it either. And we can argue about Blaze as well (you can say she's taller and so her body appears a little more catlike, I guess). Is it just the breasts that put people off about Rouge's design? Just curious.

TLDR: I don't have a problem with Rouge, and think, like most characters, she might benefit from getting more of a role in a future story. Whether SEGA will do that at all is another story.

Edited by Zaysho

Anyone who have been involved with fanbase for a while may remember how much I love Rouge as a character. In fact, she is one of my top favourite Sonic series characters. That's why I made a fansite for Rouge over a decade ago, in a time where everyone was making fansites for Shadow, and I was the only one to do so for a while.

I loved Rouge because of when and how she was introduced.

Before she appeared, the only recurring female character was Amy. Don't get me wong, I don't hate Amy. I actually don't mind her at all. However, Amy's primary role was to serve as a damsel in distress. She always needed to be rescued. Even in Sonic Adventure, when she got her own story and fought Eggman's robots decently on her own, she still needed to be rescued by Sonic and Tails. She seemed borderline useless to me aside from being a Sonic fangirl. That was a huge turn-off for me.

When Sonic Adventure 2 introduced Rouge, I was immediately drawn to her. She was a strong female character, both physically and mentally, who didn't need a male character to make her interesting. She was mature, intelligent, beautiful and had a unique personality. She knew what she wanted and how to get it. I particularly loved how she paralelled Knuckles is almost every way. As time went on and she appeared in more games, I was quite happy to see she was not a one-time thing. I've also always been fond of her close friendship with Shadow, and how it added to her character. However, like many others here, I feel she has a lot of untapped potential that SEGA is throwing out the window.

When it comes to her appearance... honestly, she never really bothered me at all. These days many teenagers, and some older women, dress a lot worse than she does and we see that out in public on a daily basis.

• Thumbs Up 2

I love her, and it's a shame she will probably never get independent screen time ever again in the games. She was great as an independent character, flirting with Knuckles, Sonic, Shadow, and others, generally being only in it for herself, and kicking major butt, but she and Omega started becoming more and more attached to Shadow, and consequentially weaker and weaker. Rouge went from fighting a G.U.N. Mech on her own to only serving as a helper for Shadow. It's a shame that she's no longer even playable in spin-offs, instead often serving as a boss at best.  I really want her to get screen time again.

• 1 month later...

Rouge > Blaze >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wave

SA2 gave franchise something it never had, A strong female figure. I hate how she is overshadowed by Wave and Blaze

Blaze, I can see. But how is she not a strong female figure like Rouge?

Wave on the other hand is pretty damn obscure even by fandom standards.

I'd go so far as to say the way Amy goes from being damsel in distress to taking the steps to take care of herself in SA1 was a good showcase of strength, and a pretty cool case of character development.

But yeah, I'd say Blaze is just as much a strong feminine figure as Rouge, although I'd say I prefer Blaze oodles over Rouge, though, simply because she's probably the first female heroine figure who is consistently on the side of good.  Rouge had her own agenda aside from her government work in SA2, and Wave is always antagonistic to some degree even if she's not an outright villain.  Blaze's relationship with the main cast may have been a bit rocky at first, but it was always with good intentions.

As the others above me have also said, though, Wave hardly overshadows Rouge in any form.  When someone thinks of female Sonic characters, their first thought is usually Amy, then Rouge, and then Princess Sally, then somewhere down the line Wave just sort of exists in their subconscious but they don't feel she's notable enough to mention.

Blaze gets a lot of mention mainly for being the first and only female Sonic character to have a superform. Let's not sell her short here; I'd say she around Rouge's level as far as first thoughts go.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Basically, in terms of female characters, the main three that catch people's attention are Amy, Rouge, and Blaze. Amy because she was the first and most prominent, Rouge because.....yea, and Blaze because of the reasons CSS pointed out.

everyone else is just kinda obscure.

Rouge because.....yea, 

Rouge's notoriety stems from much more than just her obvious features.  She was also the only other major female character in the series during the Adventure era, which is when a lot of fans were first exposed to Sonic in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rouge's notoriety stems from much more than just her obvious features.  She was also the only other major female character in the series during the Adventure era, which is when a lot of fans were first exposed to Sonic in the first place.

Oh I know that, I was speaking primarily in terms of nowadays since there have been much more female characters introduced since then.

Amy is a strong character, depending on the writer. She was very self-sufficient in Sonic Adventure and to an extent in Sonic Heroes, to say nothing of the Advance games. Her crush on Sonic, while an integral part of her character, should still probably be toned down to where it doesn't totally define her character though.

As for Rouge, I thought she was fine in SA2 and (to a lesser extent) Heroes, but I feel that she was essentially relegated to "Shadow's sidekick" in 2K6. We haven't seen too much of her beyond that, so it's difficult to say, but I hope any future appearances from her will allow her to be a bit more independent and highlight her greedy streak, which is a major aspect of her character. Working with Shadow is fine, they're friends and allies, of course. But she seemed to have very little agenda outside of assisting Shadow in the game, which really seems odd considering her self-serving ambitions in other games. 

To use another series as an example, it'd be like making Wario happily and selflessly assist one of the heroes without any ulterior motive of his o-

250px-Sm64ds.jpg

oh yeah

Point still stands, though.

Edited by Dr. Mechano
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh I know that, I was speaking primarily in terms of nowadays since there have been much more female characters introduced since then.

But I still think that even with the plethora of female characters introduced since then, her primary means of recognition today still roots from the impact she had in SA2 and Heroes, considering those are still either highly-praised or largely mixed respectively in the more casual parts of the fandom.

Rouge is mostly in the same boat s Knuckles for me - lots of potential for a great character, but her role in the actual games is pretty bad tbh