Awoo.

The Rouge the Bat topic

8ther

I think Rouge would benifit from a more antagonistic role. It also wouldn't hurt if Sega remembered that she's the actual leader of Team Dark, not Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think Rouge would benifit from a more antagonistic role. It also wouldn't hurt if Sega remembered that she's the actual leader of Team Dark, not Shadow.

There's never really been anything to suggest Shadow is the leader - he's just the more significant character. The leader and the protagonist don't necessarily need to be the same character

There's never really been anything to suggest Shadow is the leader - he's just the more significant character. The leader and the protagonist don't necessarily need to be the same character

Maybe, but it's still amazing how many people don't realize that Shadow is Rouge's sidekick.

Maybe, but it's still amazing how many people don't realize that Shadow is Rouge's sidekick.

I'll agree that Rouge definitely shouldn't be treated like Shadow's sidekick, but how is Shadow Rouge's sidekick?  His actions are usually done on his own agenda, not specifically to assist Rouge.  The latter may be the team leader, but I would hardly qualify Shadow as her "sidekick."

I'll agree that Rouge definitely shouldn't be treated like Shadow's sidekick, but how is Shadow Rouge's sidekick?  His actions are usually done on his own agenda, not specifically to assist Rouge.  The latter may be the team leader, but I would hardly qualify Shadow as her "sidekick."

It's just the impression I get from the character, nothing more.

Yeah, I don't see Shadow as Rouge's sidekick at all. Rouge may have that in charge feeling about her, but that is also because she is one of those kind of girls that wants to be the dominate and in charge kind of girl. I doubt Shadow would be willing to do things like that. He doesn't seem to mind her being around at all, since she can assist him at times, but Shadow is very independent just like Sonic is as well. Unless Shadow allows it, I don't see him working for Rouge. He is more the kind that does what he wants when he wants it.

Yeah, I don't see Shadow as Rouge's sidekick at all. Rouge may have that in charge feeling about her, but that is also because she is one of those kind of girls that wants to be the dominate and in charge kind of girl. I doubt Shadow would be willing to do things like that. He doesn't seem to mind her being around at all, since she can assist him at times, but Shadow is very independent just like Sonic is as well. Unless Shadow allows it, I don't see him working for Rouge. He is more the kind that does what he wants when he wants it.

Are we talking about the same Shadow? The guy that went to extreme lengths of either completely ending all life as we know it or giving humanity a chance to be happy just because a girl told him to? The guy that, after becoming amnesiac, relied heavily on what others were telling him to do? The guy that, after regaining his memories, continues to follow orders by working for the government? They guy that counteracts someone that is the very embodiment of freedom and chaos?

That doesn't entirely scream "independent" to me.

Are we talking about the same Shadow? The guy that went to extreme lengths of either completely ending all life as we know it or giving humanity a chance to be happy just because a girl told him to? The guy that, after becoming amnesiac, relied heavily on what others were telling him to do? The guy that, after regaining his memories, continues to follow orders by working for the government? They guy that counteracts someone that is the very embodiment of freedom and chaos?

That doesn't entirely scream "independent" to me.

But in most of those examples, he was following orders to meet his own agenda.  It was less of a matter of "Someone told me I should do this, so I should," as much as it was a matter of "If I do this, it will also benefit my own goals."

But in most of those examples, he was following orders to meet his own agenda.  It was less of a matter of "Someone told me I should do this, so I should," as much as it was a matter of "If I do this, it will also benefit my own goals."

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying. Yes, Shadow may be listening to others, but if he sees no benefit in it for him, the chances of him doing it seem rather low. If he sees some sort of benefit by listening to Rouge, Sonic, or the govt, then he may do it. It usually seems to be all about what benefits me and do I feel like even doing it as well.

Rouge is easily one of my favorite females, and it has nothing to do with her chest or "fanservice." In fact, compared to a lot of crap out there, Rouge isn't nearly as bad, and she's got quite a bit of personality as well. People who think Rouge is all about her chest really don't pay close attention to her character, and it really goes to show why she's basically been shelved in spinoffs and replaced by Blaze instead.

Rouge is a deep and complex character. She's a jerk at times, only cares for herself, but she does have a soft spot for Shadow and Omega. Primarily the former, but Omega as well. Rouge is tied on closely to GUN, too, so that's likely part of the reason she hasn't been appearing as much lately, but sadly, I tend to think she's been shelved due to her chest, which definitely is not her only defining quality.

Personally I'd love to see Rouge get out and do things more often, and it doesn't have to be connected to Shadow either. She can do her own things. Yeah, her relationship with Shadow probably won't change, they'll still be close, but that doesn't mean they're always doing things together (which Sega often seems to ignore).

I'd love to see her appear in more spinoffs, maybe in the next SEGA All-Stars. It was nice seeing her appear as a rival in the M&S games, but it'd have still been nicer to see her become a playable addition... -_- Cream even got into Secret Rings' multiplayer over Rouge.

Rouge has always been in the middle for me. I just don't care enough about her to like her or dislike her; HOWEVER, she had some groovy music in SA2. Security Hall (I'm a Spy) is still one of my favorite tracks from that game

Rouge is easily one of my favorite females, and it has nothing to do with her chest or "fanservice." In fact, compared to a lot of crap out there, Rouge isn't nearly as bad, and she's got quite a bit of personality as well. People who think Rouge is all about her chest really don't pay close attention to her character, and it really goes to show why she's basically been shelved in spinoffs and replaced by Blaze instead.

I don't think Blaze has replaced Rouge at all, since she's in the same boat of being shunted off to the side because SEGA can't figure out what to do with either of them. At this point, we're lucky Knuckles and Amy got to cameo in Lost World, and those were token appearances that added absolutely nothing and they're just fighting for relevance as the rest of the cast in the games. And at this point, if SEGA decides to actually do anything with characters that aren't Sonic and Tails, the "classic" characters are more likely to get that shine before anybody else. Instead of fighting the "shitty friends" stigma the general public has saddled the Sonic cast with, SEGA decides to knuckle under and not to do anything to change this perception (yet they're happy to make one-off, boring antagonists with no personality... yeah, OK, SEGA).

I agree with all your other points though.

Though I am surprised to hear Rouge hasn't had many playable appearances in spin-off games. I'd imagine she would, since I understand those are the only times the rest of cast even appears in any games at all anymore (barring Generations, which was still missing a handful of characters).

Eh... I've never cared about Rouge. I don't care that she's apparently for sex appeal for the creepy fans, I don't care about her job as a secret agent, nor do I care about her as a character. I don't know, I like the concept for a bat character, but honestly, I don't think Rouge is convincing for me. Maybe it's because of the supposed sex appeal, or that the series needed more female characters. I don't know. Rouge has never been a character I gave a shit about.

She's not a bad character. It is just that Sega have not utillised her properly in games her potential is undeveloped. Rouge, was pretty cool in Sonic X in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno, as a kid she grossed me out. She just looked like a hooker to me.

And she is often portrayed in a lot of fanart as such. I know she isn't a horrible character, it is just because this is how it sometimes seems she had become over time and how most fans treat her as such. She is my least favorite character of course, but I try not to hate on her too much if possible. It is just the way she has been portrayed and such that is the main turn off at time. I know it isn't all her fault though as I have said before here.

I dunno, as a kid she grossed me out. She just looked like a hooker to me.

I'm not sure how she does, to be honest - especially when you consider that "hookers" really have no set appearance or dress code, and can look like pretty much anything. But considering she wears a gaudy, almost comic book-esque costume consisting of metallic boots and a giant pink heart emblem, I kind of feel like she doesn't look like much of anybody, regardless of their occupation.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm not sure how she does, to be honest - especially when you consider that "hookers" really have no set appearance or dress code, and can look like pretty much anything. But considering she wears a gaudy, almost comic book-esque costume consisting of metallic boots and a giant pink heart emblem, I kind of feel like she doesn't look like much of anybody, regardless of their occupation.

She wears too much makeup, she has an overly sensual voice, and she's covered head to toe in hearts. To 7 year old me that screamed hooker.

She wears too much makeup, she has an overly sensual voice, and she's covered head to toe in hearts. To 7 year old me that screamed hooker.
So you learned about hookers when you were 7 years old instead of movie actresses and singers who wear equally as much make up with sultry voices? That's quite an interesting childhood you had.
  • Thumbs Up 5

Not to mention the fact that hearts are a traditional symbol of femininity makes it seem a little odd to me that the first thing you would think of is "hooker," but whatever.

• Thumbs Up 2

It really does say an awful lot about how bonkers we can be towards female characters and sex when having eye shadow and lip stick, some hearts, and an older female voice automatically means you're a hooker-- not even someone who may have sex with a partner regularly or someone who's done it a few times. No-- despite being a paid governmental agent and a jewel thief on the side-- the way you look has to mean you're a bona fide prostitute. So wash your face and cover up everything apart from your arms, or else you're walking dem streets.

• Thumbs Up 7

I WAS 7 WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?!

Alright guys, I'm an ass. Rouge is okay, and I seriously need to research hookers. if you know what I mean...

That was a joke don't crucify me.

• Thumbs Up 1