Awoo.

SLW: Opening Cut Scene "Eggman... what have you done?"

Badnik Mechanic

So...

Sonic is shown attacking Eggman, causes him to lose control of the Deadly Six, they go hostile and begin attacking everything.

Sonic doesn't save the creatures... they plunge to their deaths....

Tails uses animals Sonic collects and puts them in robots which can be destroyed in the game.

Conclusion: Sonic & Tails are doing more harm than good... . ... Sonic and Tails are the villains... ... .. ... This is now canon.

Emperor Prower will rule the cosmos.

"Drop the critters" is such an idiotic demand when you're miles above ground.

Let's also add that Sonic tried to open the capsule...miles above the ground *thinks of Sonic 2*

Screw it, I'm with Hogfather on this, Sonic and Tails are the villains.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's kind of interesting how that whole cutscene was sort of operating on game logic at a level that CG Sonic cutscenes usually don't. The way Sonic behaved on the Tornado's wings was obviously trying to capture the feel of Sky Chase Zone, and he was trying to open that animal capsule in midair, because hey, when he did that in Marble Garden they all turned out to be birds, right?

It's a little silly, but I think it works. It makes everything feel a little more cohesive.

Edited by Octarine
  • Thumbs Up 3

So opening scene was a lot shorter than I woul've liked but they managed to fit a lot of awesome into it!
Is this the first time we've seen the spindash in CGI before?

Though I can't help but wonder what exactly Sonic's plan was if he'd managed to pop the capsule? I mean he wouldn't be able to grab hold of all the animals inside. Would it not have been easier for Tails to try and have matched the velocity of the falling capsule and then tried catching it instead? Might've even made it harder for Eggman to take that poor shot he took as well.

Plus (not saying I condone it) but for people who've never played the classics the scene might be a little confusing when Sonic says drop the critters and there is just a capsule that Eggman drops. I mean if you've never played an old Sonic game and know that the animals are in there you might not make that connection.

Still can't get over how awesome the old Tornado, Tails flying it and Sonic wing-walking on it looks in modern CGI. No idea why they ever got rid of the Tornado.

You know, guys... Eggman has done similar things before. Twice already has he lured Sonic by way of sheer predictability of the hedgehog's heroics, thus creating situations where Sonic would be prompted to walk right into a trap. Compound onto it the fact that both times the intention was to actually kill him, and I didn't see this cut scene as a particularly extraordinary character moment for Eggman, especially since I have faith that the writers are going to make sure the animals in the capsule won't get killed if they're brought up again. After all, it's quite the coincidence that the first bit of CGI we got was a group of lone animals on Windy Hill being terrorized by the Six. I almost feel like you could run those two bits back to back and have some form of narrative. Overall, it wasn't a bad scene by any means, but I don't see what makes it so fantabulously special...?

You'd be surprised at how much something that's "good, but not great" or even "OK" at best will be given mass praise only because what came before it was of considerably lower quality or had been MIA for a while.

That's not to say I disliked the trailer, I found it pretty nice, albeit I wish it had some more to it, like maybe footage of Sonic and Tails crash-landing on the planet or something, complete with Sonic landing face-first into the ground as a means of carrying on tradition.

Edited by Yeow

They are off their game. Then they call knuckles to join in because he really doesn't need to watch that goddamn emerald any more because no one wants it. Not even eggman. and it seems like eggman is getting less interested in the chaos emeralds.

You know, guys... Eggman has done similar things before. Twice already has he lured Sonic by way of sheer predictability of the hedgehog's heroics, thus creating situations where Sonic would be prompted to walk right into a trap. Compound onto it the fact that both times the intention was to actually kill him, and I didn't see this cut scene as a particularly extraordinary character moment for Eggman, especially since I have faith that the writers are going to make sure the animals in the capsule won't get killed if they're brought up again. After all, it's quite the coincidence that the first bit of CGI we got was a group of lone animals on Windy Hill being terrorized by the Six. I almost feel like you could run those two bits back to back and have some form of narrative. Overall, it wasn't a bad scene by any means, but I don't see what makes it so fantabulously special...?

To be honest, this is one of the first times that he's done such without unintentionally granting Sonic a Chekov's Gun form/ability and handwaving it ala Unleashed, or having Sonic down for the count and then not capitalizing on the moment for no given reason ala the beginning of Generations.

For once he doesn't seem to be leaving obvious rooms for error.

He blasted Sonic and Tails out of the sky before, and with considerably more damage to the plane, in SA1. I also wouldn't consider tossing Sonic into space with a fake Chaos Emerald leaving "obvious" room for error. That was a genuine "holy shit" moment that had everyone fooled.

• Thumbs Up 1

True, but that was SA1 and SA2... quite a bit of time since then. 

Does time really matter tho? Eggman was at his absolute peak in SA2 is terms of magnificence and the only reason Sonic survived was because of a variable that neither Eggman nor Sonic himself accounted for, so I don't really know why people are praising Lost World like Eggman being smart for a change is new. :\ 

Edited by Azure Yakuzu
  • Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, I can understand around the lines of, "This is already better than Colors and Generations" in how they opened up the plot. Then again topping those two game's stories is no hard feet, in all honesty.

But as a sign the story will be better as a whole when, aside from that first cutscene some time ago and this one, I'm just going to wait and see and stay neutral on the matter.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yea, I liked that cutscene on the merit of throwing you into the action, but that's about it. I'm still really neutral and holding judgment that the game will actually be good until it actually comes out.

Holy shit guys, I'm not saying you can't enjoy the cut scene. If you enjoy the cut scene, that's fine. However, me saying I wasn't as wowed by it as everyone else was is not some sort of attack on your enjoyment. People can hold different opinions about the same thing at one time without this being rooted in animosity towards the people who are the most positiveI have no idea why we go through this song-and-dance every time someone expresses an opinion that's a little less lukewarm than most.

And the thing is, it's difficult for me personally to look at any of this game's elements in as big a vacuum. This is undeniably being hyped by everyone- fans, gamers, and critics- as potentially being the best 3D Sonic game we have ever gotten. This is a denotation that relies on comparison to the games that came beforehand, otherwise the actual saying would be completely meaningless. Ergo, it's just as easy for me to see where things are roughly the same as they were before as it is for me to see where things are better. If Lost World is being hyped in this vain, yet I'm lukewarm to the execution of some of its elements, I ideally should have the right to say "I feel x was done better in y game" without being misconstrued. And no, me saying as such does not mean you now have to ask for permission to like whatever it is I'm talking about. -.-+

• Thumbs Up 8

Holy shit guys, I'm not saying you can't enjoy the cut scene. If you enjoy the cut scene, that's fine. However, me saying I wasn't as wowed by it as everyone else was is not some sort of attack on your enjoyment. People can hold different opinions about the same thing at one time without this being rooted in animosity towards the people who are the most positiveI have no idea why we go through this song-and-dance every time someone expresses an opinion that's a little less lukewarm than most.

And the thing is, it's difficult for me personally to look at any of this game's elements in as big a vacuum. This is undeniably being hyped by everyone- fans, gamers, and critics- as potentially being the best 3D Sonic game we have ever gotten. This is a denotation that relies on comparison to the games that came beforehand, otherwise the actual saying would be completely meaningless. Ergo, it's just as easy for me to see where things are roughly the same as they were before as it is for me to see where things are better. If Lost World is being hyped in this vain, yet I'm lukewarm to the execution of some of its elements, I ideally should have the right to say "I feel x was done better in y game" without being misconstrued. And no, me saying as such does not mean you now have to ask for permission to like whatever it is I'm talking about. -.-+

I'm not at all against you not finding it as great as the general consensus seem to think of it, so much as the general (as in, you in particular haven't said this) notion that because one likes it instead of its past "better" executions, that they're putting it on some "pedestal". That term carries a certain implication about the person it's targeted at that's... kinda mean, to say the least.

All in all, Lost World will speak for itself when it comes out. Regardless of what anyone says, I really don't think its going to be "ZOMG AMAZING" like everyone else thinks, but I do think its looking to be a definite step up from the past few games. There really is nothing wrong with being excited or lukewarm about the game, just wait for the game everyone. :\

Oh fuck all y'all.

This cutscene kicks tons of ass.  It's the best.

So fuck each and every one of you.  Because this is my favorite cutscene now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh fuck all y'all.

Not+Sure+if+serious.jpg

But yeah it's a cool cutscene. Coupled with the exuberance of the Deadly Six who are looking to be prime candidates for 'most endearing monster of the week' yet and the way Sonic and Eggman interact that's been shown so far and I'm pretty stoked for the game's story and character portrayals.

Oh fuck all y'all.

Is this your infamous Stone Cold Lock of the Century.... of the Week! Carl?

Edited by MamboCat

My problem is when somebody says "X is better than Y" people go on to interpret that as "Y sucks"

Internet logic in a nutshell.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is it really confirmed that there were little furries in there? Maybe it just some badniks or nothing at all... and Eggy is tricking Sonic and Tails.

On a very small, nitpicky note... I kind of wish Eggman's moustache was more orange-ish... or at least lighter brown. Don't think I am use to seeing it more of a dark brown color.

But I liked the cutscene. Just what I was imagining for the most part.

Anyone else think that this isn't the complete cutscene? I feel like there might be some exposition from Tails that might have been cut after he says it's Lost Hex and before Sonic says to find a place to land.

• Thumbs Up 1