Awoo.

Sega Says Sonic Audience Is Clearly On Nintendo Platforms, Not Xbox Or PlayStation

NiGHTS

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/09/24/sega-says-sonic-audience-is-clearly-on-nintendo-platforms-not-xbox-or-playstation/

I wasn't sure if this was posted or not but this was posted tonight on that site. I couldn't find the thread, but I know many here still love Sonic to be on Sony and Microsoft's side and at the other end, many love Sega to help and stick with Nintendo alittle more. Do you agree in with Sega's methods in pushing more products towards Nintendo? Its true, many of there games normally always do well on Nintendo consoles compared to PS3 and Xbox 360. Even the inferior versions of Sonic and Sega All Stars racing and Unleashed did better on Wii then there counterparts. Lets discuss!

Edited by Black★RockShooter
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well. So much for that PS4/Xbox One Sonic game...if they want to stick to Nintendo that much then Nintendo should just buy them.

Edited by KrazyBean

This isn't really news.

Aaron Webber's been saying that plenty of times in various interviews, so I fail to see why this is suddenly an "oh snap!" moment.

Makes sense, though. Even mediocre Sonic games sold very well on GBA, GCN, Wii and DS. 

I wonder if this Nintendo-exclusive deal will be extended further, though. I'd kind of like to grab the next big Sonic game on PC.

• Thumbs Up 9

Sonic and the Black Knight did well? Since when?

Yeah I was a little surprised to hear that too. It dropped by like £20 within weeks.

They really should have worded this better because it sounds like they're saying "Only true Sonic fans are on Nintendo systems" and I can see why that can piss a lot of people off because it sounds like Sega is giving a massive middle finger to those audiences.

That said, this really isn't anything new. In fact, this could have been said back in 2001 when SA2: Battle came out, and it would still have been true. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh...I just realized Webber said this. I like Aaron and all but hes just a PR bot and hes been repeating this for awhile now.

I don't think they said "there is no Sonic audience on xbox or playstation". They just said "the audience is biggest on Nintendo systems." Which is the truth.

I think it's a bit much to jump to the conclusion that there will never be a non-Nintendo Sonic game because of a simple truth. Sonic Heroes sold best on GC, Shadow sold best on GC, Riders sold best on GC, Unleashed sold best on Wii, etc etc.

SEGA could have said "the audience is biggest on Nintendo systems" half a decade ago and that still would not have meant "we're never making Sonic on xbox or playstation again".

They're not ignoring their fans in other places.. Literally all they said is "Sonic games sell best on Nintendo" which tons of devs could say about any series on any platform. It's really not that big a deal. Calm down guys.

EDIT: Also this is a case of mynintendonews twisting SEGA's words a little.

Well no I didn't mean that, I meant more as if they think this then they may extend that Nintendo deal. Remember that at the moment sonic is console locked to Nintendo until the contract expires. and god damn if I want to see more PC releases and a PS4/XBO game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well no I didn't mean that, I meant more as if they think this then they may extend that Nintendo deal. Remember that at the moment sonic is console locked to Nintendo until the contract expires. and god damn if I want to see more PC releases and a PS4/XBO game.

To be honest this is no different from say the Wii getting Black Knight, Olympics and Colours all in a row. This time it just has a "deal" attached to it making it feel more solid. 3 exclusive Sonic games on a Nintendo system isn't really anything new at this point, especially considering the first non-SEGA consoles we saw Sonic games on were all Nintendo ones (ignoring Neo Geo for a moment). We saw Sonic Advance, Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Pinball Party, SA2B and SADX on Nintendo systems before Sonic even touched Xbox or Playstation.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh u~

Completely ignoring the general consensus on the game's quality, I honestly do not recall Sonic and the Black Knight selling well at all.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 3

To be honest this is no different from say the Wii getting Black Knight, Olympics and Colours all in a row. This time it just has a "deal" attached to it making it feel more solid. 3 exclusive Sonic games on a Nintendo system isn't really anything new at this point, especially considering the first non-SEGA consoles we saw Sonic games on were all Nintendo ones (ignoring Neo Geo for a moment). We saw Sonic Advance, Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Pinball Party, SA2B and SADX on Nintendo systems before Sonic even touched Xbox or Playstation.

I think he's referring to mainstream titles.

I think he's referring to mainstream titles.

I don't think so, because Olympics is not a mainstream title and that's one of the 3 exclusives. For all we know the last exclusive is not mainstream either.

• Thumbs Up 1

I understood the deal as being the next three games with Sonic in it, which is why the Olympics game counts...

It's also why I thought "ah shit, no StealthTax Sonic 1 release for Steam?"

Yeah, it's probably true, bt hopefully it won't stop them releasing titles on other platforms. Surely the ps3/360 titles still sell well even if they don't sell as well. They're still profitable. I think it'd be silly to drop potential revenue streams.....of course, that's not what they're saying.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I'm reffering to Mainstream, X out all the side games and Colors was the nintendo exclusive after unleashed. its been....

Heroes - Multiplatform

Shadow - Multiplatform

2006 - HD multiplatform

Unleashed - Multiplatform

Colors - Nintendo exclusive

Generations - Multiplatform

Lost World - Nintendo exclusive

So in this new way of mainstream release pattern we should have another multiplatform after lost world, Despite what Webber says I doubt them breaking this new release pattern anytime soon. I'm sure the 3rd sonic game is something to do with mario either a crossover or that rumored all stars X mario kart game or maybe its smash bros.

Edited by goku262002

Yeah I'm reffering to Mainstream, X out all the side games and Colors was the nintendo exclusive after unleashed. its been....

Heroes - Multiplatform

Shadow - Multiplatform

2006 - HD multiplatform

Unleashed - Multiplatform

Colors - Nintendo exclusive

Generations - Multiplatform

Lost World - Nintendo exclusive

So in this new way of mainstream release pattern we should have another multiplatform after lost world, Despite what Webber says I doubt them breaking this new release pattern anytime soon. I'm sure the 3rd sonic game is something to do with mario either a crossover or that rumored all stars X mario kart game or maybe its smash bros.

Let's not forget that the first two games sold the best on the Nintendo console, its not really out of the question for another Nintendo exclusive. It ultimately depends on how Sega feels.

I don't think it's worth putting too much thought into patterns that are likely more coincidental than intentional. Colours started out as a Wii port for Generations, Secret Rings started out as a Wii port for 06. The "pattern" isn't something they do purposefully, they just go with the flow.

But it's exactly for that reason that I don't think pointing out Sonic games get better sales on Nintendo is the end-all of multiplatform Sonic. 3 exclusive Sonics, one mainstream and two spinoff, is something Nintendo consoles are pretty used to, as are the strong sales.

So yeah I don't think we have to worry about SEGA disregarding the wider fanbase, but it's obvious for a multitude of reasons that Nintendo and Sonic work together, I don't think it's the last time we'll ever see an exclusive Sonic on a Nintendo system.

They're right about this.

Stereotypically X-Box users/fans only want shooters and Sony I'm not sure since its a more general thing. The big factors with Sonic's success on Nintendo's platforms is that Nintendo and Sega have been popular, well-known brand names since gaming was growing in popularity and that Sonic in this day and age is considered to be "kiddy" like Nintendo. Also Sonic on everything else seems to perform better technically on Nintendo systems in the past. So yeah I suppose his audience is with Nintendo.

I'm just calling it as I see it. I do wish they would release Sonic games on the PS3/360 again but I doubt they will for Sonic's future. He still has a ways to go to fix his reputation.