Awoo.

Sega Says Sonic Audience Is Clearly On Nintendo Platforms, Not Xbox Or PlayStation

NiGHTS

If they were listening to hardcore Genesis fans we'd have:

-no new characters, meaning no Deadly Six or Orbot and Cubot

-no 3D

-no story

-no Wisps

-no voice actors

-and all sorts of things that would be stirring the wasps nest for me to list.

So yeah, this direction we're getting into wouldn't be possible were that the case.

...but Sonic 3 and Knuckles had a story though. mellow.png

Huh...

It's true that Sonic seemed most comfortable with Nintendo and it was fortunately spared 06 (thank Arceus for that), but I don't think they should just outright ignore putting Sonic on other consoles through.

Huh...

It's true that Sonic seemed most comfortable with Nintendo and it was fortunately spared 06 (thank Arceus for that), but I don't think they should just outright ignore putting Sonic on other consoles through.

Agreed just make sure that its always going to be on a nintendo systems

Why make this statement when it could easily be taken the wrong way? It makes implications that they don't care about the other install bases anymore, even if that wasn't the intention, so why say it? It's like if they just came out and said "Xbone and PS4 have better specs lol" So what? What is that supposed to mean?

Sheesh.

In the original Polygon article that the quote is from, Aaron's statement is prefaced with this:

As for the Nintendo-exclusive deal, Webber and Mullen said that the partnership "just made sense."

So he probably said it when pressed about the exclusivity deal with Nintendo. It's not as if he said this out of the blue; he was asked, and pretty much had to give a reason. 

The MyNintendoNews article doesn't show the context for the quote. 

This is a bit of an overreaction, all he did was state a fact that most people know already.

Overreaction, I apologize. But at the same time Aaron's claim is not a fact, but bullshit to promote SLW.

I feel like when it comes to "main" stream games for now on? The chances of them going on Nintendo systems are higher. But when it comes to the racing games... sports and spin-offs. They will be multiplatformer. And of course the re-releases of classic games. Maybe HD collections and what not.

Right. Sonic fans without a Nintendo console will have to deal with some leftovers. Nice, SEGA.

I'd rather they go multiplatform, especially considering how abysmal the Wii U sales are.

• Thumbs Up 2

Right. Sonic fans without a Nintendo console will have to deal with some leftovers. Nice, SEGA.

I'd rather they go multiplatform, especially considering how abysmal the Wii U sales are.

*looks at stats of the Wii U on its sales, lack of exclusives and other things*

"Wii U is so bad lol its selling so poorly and theres like, no games for it"

*companies start making games for it to make sales*

"Why are they making games for the Wii U, it's getting no sales and has no games!!!!"

About the 'leftovers' thing.. I wouldn't really call it leftovers as much as just getting most of the mainstream titles and not much else. If you wanna know which console REALLY got the 'leftovers', it was last generation with the Wii's Sonic games. Spinoffs of very questionable quality, a really bad demake of the HD Unleashed, and a relatively tiny (but admittedly high quality) game made to reconcile Wii players for not getting Sonic Generations. 

If Sega really does release every Sonic game for Wii U and then makes every other title a multiplatform release, then what makes this any different from when they did this in the Gamecube era? 

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 7

I'm not surprised. A lot of folks who grew up with Sonic are old enough to be parents or already have very young, school-age children. The Nintendo consoles have always traditionally been those geared towards the younger/family oriented crowd, and with properties/exclusives like Mario, Kirby, Donkey Kong and such that don't have insane realistic violence but do relatively well, it's not that far of a stretch.

Plus the Nintendo only exclusives like the Mario & Sonic, Storybook & Rush titles kind of cements their point as well. That's a lot of kid friendly stuff, and all on one console/company as well.

I like how some people are over reacting, they never said they weren't getting the Xbox/ps games and that sonic was staying with Nintendo, just that in general he sells better there. In all honestly I hope this gen that any mainstream titles after Lost World are multiplatforn and that Wii U/xbone/ps4 versions are all the same, content wise at least. I was Nintendo only last gen and the games we missed out in was a real kick in the teeth, the good Unleashed version (although I enjoyed SD version) and the Aniversary game) and I will be Nintendo only this gen aswell, I'm fine with missing spinoffs but moan games should try to be multiplatform I think, maybe rotating the spinoffs every release

Sonic and the Black Knight did well? Since when?

It supposedly sold one million copies. For a quick Wii game, it did pretty well.

But as someone pointed out before, Sonic does really well with kids compared to adults. With more kids picking up Nintendo systems, it makes more sense on why the sales are so high. A lot of kids seem to get excited over Sonic.

In the original Polygon article that the quote is from, Aaron's statement is prefaced with this:

So he probably said it when pressed about the exclusivity deal with Nintendo. It's not as if he said this out of the blue; he was asked, and pretty much had to give a reason. 

The MyNintendoNews article doesn't show the context for the quote. 

So the article took the quote out of context to meet their agenda.

Yay for professionalism.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, I'm surprised at how many people are upset that sonic games are only on these systems for the moment. They may go to the others later, but as I said before, I think this is a good business move by both nintendo and sega at the moment. Nintendo likely gave them money to stay exclusive for a bit and they are obviously going to honor that. Why wouldn't you sell on the system where your sales have been highest in most games for quite a few years now. They may go to the other systems in time, but it is definately making my buy the console a bit earlier than I had originally planned because I want to play my sonic games still. So, it would seem their plan worked, on me at least.

• Thumbs Up 2

No plans to invest in a Wii U until the software really picks up. I simply don't have the $300 to spare thanks to my new PC. 

On the subject of where Sonic sells better, I'm not particularly surprised that the series finds the majority of its fanbase at Nintendo. The console (Wii/Wii U) and the company that makes it practically scream everything that I tend to associate Sonic with these days: Colorful, lighthearted, suitable for all audiences, and a large demographic of younger players. That, and I've had much better experiences with the Nintendo versions of many multiplatform Sonic games that have been released so far (I'm looking at you, PS2 version of Sonic Heroes).

The game looks fantastic, but I'm ultimately not interested in it for now. If there were a PC version, it would be different.

Edited by Cyalume

It supposedly sold one million copies. For a quick Wii game, it did pretty well.

Though the question is, how well did it sell as a regularly priced title and how much did it sell when it cost like $15 new.

6th gen Sonic games sold best on PS2, which was the home console that vastly outsold its competitors and the one all the kids had.

Handheld Sonic games do awesome on Nintendo handhelds, which happen to be the handhelds that everyone and their grandmother owns.

7th gen Sonic games sold best on Wii, the system that all the kids have, that vastly outsold the competition.

Not saying that Nintendo's core fanbase doesn't shift towards Sonic more than Sony's or Microsoft's, but you know. Food for thought. Especially considering the Wii U is not exactly in a position to dominate the competitors this time around.

• Thumbs Up 4

6th gen Sonic games sold best on PS2, which was the home console that vastly outsold its competitors and the one all the kids had.

Handheld Sonic games do awesome on Nintendo handhelds, which happen to be the handhelds that everyone and their grandmother owns.

7th gen Sonic games sold best on Wii, the system that all the kids have, that vastly outsold the competition.

Not saying that Nintendo's core fanbase doesn't shift towards Sonic more than Sony's or Microsoft's, but you know. Food for thought. Especially considering the Wii U is not exactly in a position to dominate the competitors this time around.

But at the same time, won't by bringing an exclusive like this possibly drive sales of the system, just like some of the other games this coming season? As I said, I'm sure that was one of the main motivations between all this at the moment. Yes, Sonic does see to be selling the best on Nintendo consoles for awhile now, but alot of it was likely business as well. Nintendo needs Sega for exclusives and Sega could really use the ease of working with someone they are likely alot more comfortable working with after their long relationship in the past.

Keep in mind that a 3DS version that's guaranteed to make a good amount of money is coming out. The Wii U version is more of an attempt to kickstart the console by both nintendo and sega than anything. Even then it's not much of a risk. It'll make a decent profit if nothing else. Sega is well aware of the Wii U's situation, but SOMEBODY besides nintendo has to make exclusive for the damn thing.

• Thumbs Up 2

The audience Sega has in their head is going to be little kids playing silly little tablet games before long. We'll see how long this lasts, or if it'll even pay off once.

Edited by Phos

Worked for Sega when it came to getting players to waggle there Wiimotes. Honestly? The Wii U, I remember a poll by Nintendo. There is only 30 percent who are considered "young audience" they got the system currently. Most of the young kids still has there Wii and probably don't know what a Wii U is.

I feel like the Wii U will turn out exactly what the Gamecube was when this is all set and done. Not many party games (which honestly Wii U has like barley of, unlike the Wii) and it will get mostly Nintendo games, and the great Sega games they will receive. If Sonic Racing Transformed made Sega smile for Wii U sales? This will do much better then that.

I'm sure that there are lots of others out there that aren't little kids that enjoy the nintendo consoles after all. I know alot of those people that feel graphics are most important are not part of this, but would you really want those kind of people around anyway?

Yes, kids will make up  a good percent, but also you are going to have people that have always enjoyed nintendo for many years still buying their consoles. The people that complain about there not being many games on the system, should remember that it is  backwards compatible and you can still buy older Wii games to hold you off in the mean time if you don't have anything you want to buy on the WiiU at the moment and for alot less money as well.

I know the WiiU isn't like the other two consoles, but to me that is a good thing. Nintendo does their own thing and they know who they are targeting and they go for those kind of people. Microsoft just throws themselves out there trying to attract everyone they can in any possible way, which has seemed to in some ways backfired on them with them yes maybe attracting some new people, but they have also offended alot of their customers as well.

Nintendo may not have the huge list of games that the others may have had in the past, but I don't see them offending their fanbase as bad as the others, at least the way I've seen it.

I'm sure that there are lots of others out there that aren't little kids that enjoy the nintendo consoles after all. I know alot of those people that feel graphics are most important are not part of this, but would you really want those kind of people around anyway?

Yes, kids will make up  a good percent, but also you are going to have people that have always enjoyed nintendo for many years still buying their consoles. The people that complain about there not being many games on the system, should remember that it is  backwards compatible and you can still buy older Wii games to hold you off in the mean time if you don't have anything you want to buy on the WiiU at the moment and for alot less money as well.

I know the WiiU isn't like the other two consoles, but to me that is a good thing. Nintendo does their own thing and they know who they are targeting and they go for those kind of people. Microsoft just throws themselves out there trying to attract everyone they can in any possible way, which has seemed to in some ways backfired on them with them yes maybe attracting some new people, but they have also offended alot of their customers as well.

Nintendo may not have the huge list of games that the others may have had in the past, but I don't see them offending their fanbase as bad as the others, at least the way I've seen it.

I'd love to argue a lot of this, but this isn't really the thread for that. If you'd care to have a discussion about it, take it to the Wii U thread. I'd personally say that Nintendo's done a pretty good job of alienating their fanbase as well, though Microsoft's DRM fiasco and the Kinect are pretty awful too.