Awoo.

Rate the Story: Sonic Unleashed

Narukami07

Hmm.. I'd have to say 9/10 honestly. Like other's have already mentioned, it avoids the overdramatic stupidity of Shadow and '06, while not going down the other route of stupidity which Colors and to a lesser extent, Heroes did. The story is "complicated but simple" if that makes any sense at all. A lot of people criticized Chip, but I really never understood why. I always found him to be better than Tails in Colors really. They did what they didn't do with a lot of characters in the series, and that's develop their character/personalities in one game. The only other character that we witnessed grow in one game was Blaze really as far as I can remember. I liked Eggman and how his hastiness and lack of thinking things through kinda bit him in the butt later in the game, and how Dark Gaia just straight up shoots him to the moon when he tries to control it. Even in the most serious moments, like that one, there's still that comic relief kinda thing going on ("Why meeeeeee?!"). Chip making the sacrifice at the end also was handled well, since it wasn't SO serious that they put so much emphasis on it (like '06's ending), but rather it felt like you knew it was coming but it was still a bit... Surprising I guess?

Honestly I think this game and Heroes have the best stories in the series as of when this has been posted (Heroes' writing could have been better, and I have no idea if LW will top both of those games or not yet).

• Thumbs Up 1

The closest to SatAM we've got in a game so far. The whole "teared earth" thing really resonated with me and made me more interested in helping the environment, especially after experiencing Cool Edge Day *so beautiful*.

Chip is nothing more than kawaii genius. His gags is like if Pepe Le Pew and Sylvester melted together into comedic genius.

In all honesty, the Eggman in Colors sounds more like the SatAM one if you listen to alot of those quotes and see the things he is doing in that game. He just seems to sound alot more evil there. In Unleashed here, while still evil, he just  doesn't SOUND as evil as he does in Colors. He didn't seem like he thought things through as well as he could have here in Unleashed. He did enough to get by, but it didn't seem like he did much afterwards at all and was just waiting around until Sonic did his thing.

bleh/10.  

The humor (AKA chocolate) didn't work.  What's funny is pretty subjective but there are certain ways you can analyze it, and Unleashed didn't really fulfill any of them.  It wasn't absurdist, it wasn't satire, it wasn't parody, it wasn't really anything.  It didn't have jokes so much as things that were framed as jokes.  

The plot basically amounted to Eggman causing the most boring armageddon in history not involving animal crackers so he could build a theme park with poor safety standards, and then a dragon comes out.  

The story was one of basically nothing followed by text dumps with a bunch of aborted side plots along the way because why not.  No one knows what's going on until Professor Pickle just exposits it at them.  Chipp has no idea who he is until he remembers.  Sonic doesn't like his werehog form until they forgot to write an end to that story.  

As a bonus it also dumped a bunch of stupid backstory baggage on the Chaos Emeralds.  

Edited by Phos
  • Thumbs Up 3

Doesn't seem any less stupid than all the other baggage they put into the Chaos Emeralds since they're essentially Deus Ex Machinas.

The idea that every single ancient civilisation ever designed their magic/technology to be Chaos Emerald-powered/compatible was being drilled pretty hard before Unleashed.

I think it was around Sonic Riders I started finding it a little ridiculous.

The humor (AKA chocolate) didn't work.  What's funny is pretty subjective but there are certain ways you can analyze it, and Unleashed didn't really fulfill any of them.  It wasn't absurdist, it wasn't satire, it wasn't parody, it wasn't really anything.  It didn't have jokes so much as things that were framed as jokes.

Still better than Colours, a game that so desperately tries to get you to laugh but fails utterly and miserably and which shunts aside every other factor that needs to be considered in a story to push it's 'humor' to the forefront. Unleashed never does that. Unleashed knows subtlety. Colours wouldn't know subtlety if it stripped and danced in front of it.

I laughed when Chip faceplanted when Sonic braked. Twice. In two different spaced-apart cutscenes, the Hedgehog exhibiting absolutely no implication that he cares.

I laughed when Sonic flicked Chip away with one finger and then the pixie gets revenge by kicking Sonic in the back of the head. Sonic even makes a grab for him to get his own back and misses.

I also laughed when they both got in a food fight over a single meat bun of all things.

To me, Unleashed held a lot of charm in it's more lighthearted moments and they have more impact because they're not shamelessly self-aware or rely on repetition in an attempt to ellicit a laugh out of the audience whilst being more spaced apart, adding to the funny factor.

The plot basically amounted to Eggman causing the most boring armageddon in history not involving animal crackers so he could build a theme park with poor safety standards, and then a dragon comes out.  

This is different from an extremely obvious ploy involving a theme park with poor safety standards and then a deus ex machina undermining his entire plan? A giant black hole that came right the fuck outta nowhere accompanied by the very essence of corridoritis comes off as far more boring than the world being split apart and the very incarnation of darkness reawakening, a sense of tenseness coming from the time limit you have to take it out once it reaches it's perfect form.

The story was one of basically nothing followed by text dumps with a bunch of aborted side plots along the way because why not.

'Aborted side plots'? Where? All I can honestly recall as being a completely disregarded plot point is Tails getting shot away above Eggmanland.

No one knows what's going on until Professor Pickle just exposits it at them.

Pickle factors into here perfectly well. The story is in no way detracted-from just because Sonic and Tails have very little idea initially about what's going on.

And Sonic and Tails knew what the fuck was going on in Colours until Yacker exposes it? They knew about the mind control cannon? Severely detracted from any sense of danger.

They also didn't know what the hell was going on in Generations until Tails comes out with some nonsense right out of nowhere about two Sonic's being able to restore colour and life to their surroundings by the mere act of running.

Chipp has no idea who he is until he remembers.  

Again, don't see how this in any way detracts from the story. Chip's amnesia is sensical and is an important thing regarding his character development. He's never experienced the world truly and is seeing it for the first time with 'new eyes' so to speak. The fact that he's experiencing it all adds a layer of sympathy and dimension to his character as well as the story, it's main theme being that of exploring the world. Sonic even says himself that putting the world together is a good excuse to see the world after he restored the first emerald and this gives Chip the opportunity to experience it all.

Sonic doesn't like his werehog form until they forgot to write an end to that story.

Actually he does. And he summizes himself that his new form's properties can be useful. Hence why he embraces it and what he can do with it. Didn't need some kind of conclusion regarding that because Sonic comes to the conclusion by himself. With Chip's help, Sonic realizes that his own will and good heart is what prevented him from succumbing to Gaia's influence. This also gives the implication that Sonic is oblivious to his own good traits and how they protect which in addition actually make him come off as pure and modest and implies that it's so second-nature to him that he puts no real personal value in it.

As a bonus it also dumped a bunch of stupid backstory baggage on the Chaos Emeralds.

Fail to see how the way the Emeralds factor into Unleashed's story are any more stupid than other instances in which they're incorporated. Stupider than turning your thoughts into power? Bringing dead people back to life? Being part of a convoluted deal for the sake of research? Somehow finding their way into virtual reality simulator of all things? Repelling the Time Eater and powered by side-casted cheerleaders to become the latest deus ex machina?

• Thumbs Up 4

Still better than Colours, a game that so desperately tries to get you to laugh but fails utterly and miserably and which shunts aside every other factor that needs to be considered in a story to push it's 'humor' to the forefront. Unleashed never does that. Unleashed knows subtlety. Colours wouldn't know subtlety if it stripped and danced in front of it.

I laughed when Chip faceplanted when Sonic braked. Twice. In two different spaced-apart cutscenes.

I laughed when Sonic flicked Chip away with one finger and then the pixie gets revenge by kicking Sonic in the back of the head. Sonic even makes a grab for him to get his own back and misses.

I also laughed when they both got in a food fight over a single meat bun of all things.

To me, Unleashed held a lot of charm in it's more lighthearted moments and they have more impact because they're not shamelessly self-aware or rely on repetition in an attempt to ellicit a laugh out of the audience whilst being more spaced apart, adding to the funny factor.

This is different from an extremely obvious ploy involving a theme park with poor safety standards and then a deus ex machina undermining his entire plan? A giant black hole that came right the fuck outta nowhere accompanied by the very essence of corridoritis comes off as far more boring than the world being split apart and the very incarnation of darkness reawakening, a sense of tenseness coming from the time limit you have to take it out once it reaches it's perfect form.

'Aborted side plots'? Where? All I can honestly recall as being a completely disregarded plot point is Tails getting shot away above Eggmanland.

Pickle factors into here perfectly well. The story is in no way detracted-from just because Sonic and Tails have very little idea initially about what's going on.

And Sonic and Tails knew what the fuck was going on in Colours until Yacker exposes it? They knew about the mind control cannon? Severely detracted from any sense of danger.

They also didn't know what the hell was going on in Generations until Tails comes out with some nonsense right out of nowhere about two Sonic's being able to restore colour and life to their surroundings by the mere act of running.

Again, don't see how this in any way detracts from the story. Chip's amnesia is sensical and is an important thing regarding his character development. He's never experienced the world truly and is seeing it for the first time with 'new eyes' so to speak. The fact that he's experiencing it all adds a layer of sympathy and dimension to his character as well as the story, it's main theme being that of exploring the world. Sonic even says himself that putting the world together is a good excuse to see the world after he restored the first emerald and this gives Chip the opportunity to experience it all.

Actually he does. And he summizes himself that his new form's properties can be useful. Hence why he embraces it and what he can do with it.

Fail to see how the way the Emeralds factor into Unleashed's story are any more stupid than other instances in which they're incorporated. Stupider than turning your thoughts into power? Bringing dead people back to life? Being part of a convoluted deal for the sake of research? Repelling the Time Eater and powered by side-casted cheerleaders to become the latest deus ex machina?

I don't see the point in making so many comparisons to Colors. Colors isn't really relevant. It seems like you're more trying to make Unleashed's flaws justified by saying "Colors and Generations did it worse!" which isn't really an argument in a thread about the quality of Unleashed's story on it's own.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't see the point in making so many comparisons to Colors. Colors isn't really relevant. It seems like you're more trying to make Unleashed's flaws justified by saying "Colors and Generations did it worse!" which isn't really an argument in a thread about the quality of Unleashed's story on it's own.

I'm debunking the notion that Unleashed is some kind of especially odious offender on the 'missed potential' and 'stupid plot point' front.

And Colours is only one point of comparison. I compare to other games as well.

I'm debunking the notion that Unleashed is some kind of especially odious offender on the 'missed potential' and 'stupid plot point' front.

He didn't imply that it was. Saying other games did it worse doesn't validate this game.  

It's ultimately a less developed regurgitation of Adventure: Eggman awakens grimdark scary monster nobody cares about and yadayadayada. And Sonic turns into a werewolf (for some reason), which actually adds nothing to the plot. 

Sonic's werehog form adds nothing to the plot? How so not? That Adabat cutscene would beg to differ, I think. Sonic's form having been influenced by Dark Gaia's energy (which I think constitutes as valid "reason") is what allows the No Reason cutscene to happen at all, which is the point where the story arguably picks back up again after having caved in in the middle. Chip explains why Sonic has changed physically but not mentally, and this leads to a heartwarming instance of character development for both of them as well as showing us what's been going on in our two main characters' minds. 

Even if that's more about the characters than the plot, it's still a valid contribution to the game's story, and I don't really see how the werehog adds nothing. 

• Thumbs Up 3

He didn't imply that it was. Saying other games did it worse doesn't validate this game.  

It does, and it doesn't. Yes, it doesn't excuse any flaws that Unleashed story has, but they're minor by comparison to other games in the series. Colors and Generations stories come to mind directly (to me at least), but this could apply to other titles in the series too really.

This doesn't exactly boost up Unleashed (shirororororo, ain't I clever), but it sure as hell isn't propping up the others either.

• Thumbs Up 4

It does, and it doesn't. Yes, it doesn't excuse any flaws that Unleashed story has, but they're minor by comparison to other games in the series. Colors and Generations stories come to mind directly (to me at least), but this could apply to other titles in the series too really.

This doesn't exactly boost up Unleashed (shirororororo, ain't I clever), but it sure as hell isn't propping up the others either.

Ok? We're not talking about Colors and Generations. We're talking about Unleashed. We're judging Unleashed on it's OWN merits. What the other games do better or worse is irrelevant.  

Sonic's werehog form adds nothing to the plot? How so not? That Adabat cutscene would beg to differ, I think. Sonic's form having been influenced by Dark Gaia's energy (which I think constitutes as valid "reason") is what allows the No Reason cutscene to happen at all, which is the point where the story arguably picks back up again after having caved in in the middle. Chip explains why Sonic has changed physically but not mentally, and this leads to a heartwarming instance of character development for both of them as well as showing us what's been going on in our two main characters' minds. 

How is it character development for Sonic when all that happened was that he just got confirmation on what we always knew, he's a super rad guy who wouldn't let his pure heart be tainted (how generic btw), it doesn't really change Sonic in any significant way.

• Thumbs Up 1

How is it character development for Sonic when all that happened was that he just got confirmation on what we always knew, he's a super rad guy who wouldn't let his pure heart be tainted (how generic btw), it doesn't really change Sonic in any significant way.

"What we always knew"

There's the contending point right there. Our perception of Sonic's character =/= The realizations he comes to himself and the manner in which he develops after doing so.

With Chip's help, Sonic realizes that his own will and good heart is what prevented him from succumbing to Gaia's influence. This also gives the implication that Sonic is oblivious to his own good traits and how they protect which in addition actually make him come off as pure and modest and implies that it's so second-nature to him that he puts no real personal value in it and does not acknowledge that it is something that effectively protects him.

To me, that's actually pretty interesting.

• Thumbs Up 3

But Sonic doens't change, he doesn't do anything differently, he acts exactly the same as he did at the beginning of the game. Realizing he's a cool guy doesn't change the face that he still consistently acts like one regardless.

So yea, I'm going to ignore the inevitable Colors vs. Unleashed debate and give my own standard:

The plot was ok. Coming after 06, its obviously going to look better by default but on its own I'm glad it brings back the whimsical nature of the series, without having the serious moments being too heavy handed. Chip...wasn't very funny to me, well he was but not in the obvious places like the whole chocolate bit, but rather his gestures and how he tries mimic Sonic. Prof. Pickle was a pretty fun character, but his role is more or less just exposition and afterwards kinda ceases to be relevant in the main story outside of a few fetch quests. I kinda wish he played more of a mentor role to the characters.

My main gripe with Unleashed is that while its not bad by any means, it really doesn't live up to its potential. Like, I wanted to know more about the Werehog, I wanted to see the buildup to Eggman revealing Eggmanland, how did the public feel about see Sonic like that? The beginning and ending are great, its everything else that's boring to me.

All in All, its a decent story but really could have been developed better.

And that's how you remain neutral without mudslinging another game.

• Thumbs Up 3

Cripes! Stupid keyboard acting funny when I want to make a response

In response to Sonic's character development here, drastic changes in character doesn't always mean character development. Sonic doesn't have to completely change his character to have it. Unleashed was pretty good a subtlety. Sonic's character of being cool and staying true to himself may not be radically different from what we already see from him, but he has a bit more confidence. Chip validated him in that scene. It didn't change, but it was strengthened. That's also character development.

To jump back a few posts, Wraith, I understand that. We're judging Unleashed on it's merits alone, what worked and what didn't. However, it's inevitable that comparisons like these are going to come up, as we're examining strengths and weaknesses from the entire series subconsiously when we do so. It's what sets it apart from the other stories, so other stories will be dragged in at some point. They won't all be for things like mudslinging like Azure puts it, but still.

Anyway, onto what I was going to say earlier. My first post regarding the under developed ideas were squarely meant to strengthen the middle plot. Introducing some things to balance out the middle would have significantly helped it get stronger. Seeing the other characters interact with Chip more, a battle in the center of Sonic's mind, little things like that could have fleshed the story out a bit more and help the whole story be strong, rather than just the beginning and the ending.

Computer keyboards man. I swear, the don't like me for some reason...

• Thumbs Up 4

I actually agree that Sonic didn't go through a whole lot of growth in Unleashed as a result of the Werehog, but I've rethought it a bit and I don't think that's necessarily only result of him being who he is. You can wring an entertaining story about an individual who doesn't like themselves even if there's nothing much wrong with them, or even if their flaws can be used as strengths (see: every DreamWorks movie ever). I would think it relatable more than anything, that your flaws don't wholly define you as a person, but this requires more so hammering the initial self-loathing home. Sonic doesn't really have that kind of moment in Unleashed to any meaningful degree, nor is it supposedly consistent. As it has been pointed out before, there's a few points in the game where Sonic apparently gets along fine with his form or at least starts accepting it and liking it, so there's a contradiction there that ultimately waters down any themes they were going for with him.

Granted, this doesn't mean this kind of flaw detracts so much from the overall story that I'd call it horrible. It's not really a "boring armageddon story", ironically because the climax was one of the absolute best ones we've gotten anyway. But also, such a designation ignores a lot of the other themes and points of the story: Unleashed is ultimately a road trip/sight-seeing/buddy story with an apocalyptic theme as a backdrop. And it's a backdrop that- as a result of the shit that happens at night- is one that inherently can never leave the experience of the story. Regardless, I feel like it served these latter three points well enough through gameplay to get me to actually empathize with them on a level I didn't most Sonic games before and after. Fleshing out each place in the detail they did got me interested in bothering to actually explore which in turn allowed me to empathize with the NPCs who needed me help and ultimately Chip when he admitted he had fun finally learning what the planet had to offer, simply because I had fun exploring with him too.

I'm also not sure how the humor didn't "conform" to either slapstick or a running gag. That genuinely does feel like an asspull of a criticism.

• Thumbs Up 3

It captured what I think is the right tone for a Sonic game. Not too goofy, but not overly serious. There was a major threat to the world, but there was still time for Sonic and Chip to goof around and have fun while journeying together.

Overall, my only complaints would be the lack of supporting characters aside from Tails and Amy (who barely did anything). That and Dark Gaia's appearance kind of clashed with the setting.

I'd say either 7 or 8/10.

As it has been pointed out before, there's a few points in the game where Sonic apparently gets along fine with his form or at least starts accepting it and liking it, so there's a contradiction there that ultimately waters down any themes they were going for with him.

I always viewed this as being the product of subtlety.

When Sonic first exhibits concern about his form when he transforms for the second time after completing the first Windmill Isle Day act, he doesn't know what he can do with it. He doesn't know about the elastic quality to his arms and up to that point did not know how others would react to him.

When Sonic does discover what he can do and more importantly likes what he can do and comes to the realization that whilst quite a few people express surprise at what he looks like they're not breaking-out their pitchforks, he becomes more settled and accepting of his form. Tails' recognition of him could only feasibly serve to assure him even more.

Of course his feelings regarding the form are brought into contention when Amy fails to recognize him. Again, subtlety factors into it because Amy later apologizes for failing to recognize him and then outright says that it doesn't matter what the 'package' is, he's still Sonic and that's all that ultimately matters. Another bit of reassurance that sensically assures Sonic that his new form isn't truly depriving him of his identity and isn't pushing his much-valued friends away from him. Momentary depression is believable when it's taken into consideration that he does have a fragment of a world-annihilating sin against nature inside his body and that the form does make Sonic's more negative traits more prominent i.e His temper despite his ability to stop it from influencing him completely for the worse.

By that point in the game, both Pickle and Chip pick up on Sonic's acceptance of the form and comment on it, further confirming how at peace Sonic is with it. But as Sonic says himself much later in the story that whilst he hasn't completely lost himself, he attributes this to Chip somehow protecting him which implies that he doesn't put a lot of stock if any at all into his own willpower or acknowledges it as being a saving grace to him. I personally think that this speaks quite a bit about how oblivious Sonic is to his own positive traits and you know what? That's really genuinely interesting for a character like Sonic who loves tooting his own horn. It gives him some level of dimension in my view and if anything, proved to me that to an extent, Werehog form did play with Sonic's head and feelings to a... mildly fascinating degree.

Could more have been done to exploit this? Of course it could've and it is a weakness of Unleashed's narrative because there is non-lived-up-to potential. But I don't believe for a second that absolutely everything about the Werehog form when it comes to it's effect on Sonic was completely forsaken. I am of the belief that some of the game's stories before Colours had aspects that whilst being pretty subtle, contributed to Sonic's portrayals and if anything also show how heavy-handed and irritatingly in-your-face the writing has become as of the past three years.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd say an 8/10.

Not too serious like Shadow and 06, and not generic and boring like Generations. Sonic's personality was pretty much nailed. One complaint is, unfortunately, Chip. I feel like he's just trying to take Tails' place as Sonic's best friend, I don't think he needed to be in this game, but that's just what I think.

One complaint is, unfortunately, Chip. I feel like he's just trying to take Tails' place as Sonic's best friend,

Then you have absolutely no idea what the point of the story was.

And really, like Sonic can't have more than one best friend?

• Thumbs Up 3

he's just trying to take Tails' place as Sonic's best friend, I don't think he needed to be in this game, but that's just what I think.

This is complete rubbish. And it's such a faulty notion to utilize to downscore Unleashed's story.

I'm just going to reiterate what I've said before;

First-off, Sonic is entitled to have close friends other than Tails. Tails has been a near-constant player in the games for 16 years before Chip and his very cool and well-written friendship with Sonic was introduced in a single game. Why be so offended by this? It's not like he even constantly shunted Tails aside either in Unleashed because Tails was in the game too and had input in assisting Sonic! That's more than what Knuckles and Shadow or hell! Pretty much every other character can attest to nowadays. And even today, you Sonic-Tails bromance lovers, me included, are having your cake and eating it! Does Colours ring a bell? Some fans would love to see Sonic's other friends even get half of Tails' roles and such in games today. Tails being slightly sidelined in a single game is not the end of the world and, more importantly, is not a fault of Chip as a character. Faulting Chip for that is completely misguided and meritless.

Secondly, Chip was absolutely imperative to the game and he was written into it very well. Sonic Unleashed had a running theme. The cyclic nature of death and rebirth, the duality of light and dark, both of which pertain to Chip's nature and existence not to mention the fact that the World Adventure, which I'll also add is the game's Japanese title, correlates very well with Chip's desire to see and experience the world he's been a part of since time immemorial. And no, claiming that the character should have been written-out because the story could've been written multiple other ways including for the sake of incorporating Tails in a far, far more dominant role is not only disregarding the game's awesome theme but is also disrespectful to the nature of writing as a whole. You can literally undermine every story and the fundamental nature of writing by claiming that they can be written in ways specifically to suit your prejudices and exact specifications.

Thirdly, Chip's utilization as a character brings out the wonderful traits that Sonic has as a character and it even advances the plot. Sonic leads himself to believe that the reason as to why he doesn't lose himself in Werehog form is due to Chip's influence and yet as Chip himself states, this isn't true; Sonic's willpower and innate goodness is what prevents him from succumbing to Dark Gaia's influence. Not only does this endearingly prove that Sonic is pure and good and whilst he does have behavioural changes to an extent in Werehog form they don't really affect him on a deep level but it proves that Sonic is oblivious to his own good traits and how they protect him, which shows how second-nature goodness is to him despite his shortcomings i.e short temper, impulsiveness. It was convincingly put upon Chip to give exposition on this important plot point.

Did Sonic need a reason to help a friend? No. He didn't. That's Sonic for you. It was an amazing cutscene that, the game's theme and the way Sonic's and Chip's relationship was written and focused-upon taken into consideration, couldn't have been elaborated-upon by any character other than Chip.

Chip even saved Sonic's bacon thrice, the first time when Sonic falls from space and likely would've sustained serious injury or death if he had impacted the ground at that velocity without Chip halting his fall, the second time right after Sonic selflessly told him to run after Dark Gaia had forcibly ripped-out it's last piece and clearly seriously injured him and the third time when Super form had exhausted Sonic to the point of collapse. He would've had a flame-broiled death in lava and would've been sealed inside the core if Chip didn't grab him whilst he was falling and then throw him out of the core.

• Thumbs Up 7

It's especially rubbish to claim Chip was stealing Tails' thunder when he was there for just one game only for Tails to play second fiddle again in the games after it.

You can literally undermine every story and the fundamental nature of writing by claiming that they can be written in ways specifically to suit your prejudices and exact specifications.

...hmmm.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc
  • Thumbs Up 1