Awoo.

Video Games that you've had for years but haven't beaten.

AzureHedgehog

I have a lot of older ones that I haven't beaten before -

New ones don't count because you basically got them recently and hadn't had a chance yet.

Banjo Kazooie - (N64) I have actually never beaten this game although I have nearly all jiggies, notes, and Jinjos. I'm stuck at Click Clock Woods looking for the remainder final jiggies to take me to the final boss.

Donkey Kong 64 (N64) - CURSE YOU, HIDEOUT HELM!!!! i HAVEN'T BEATEN THIS GAME IN OVER 10 YEARS BECAUSE OF YOU!

Diddy Kong Racing (N64) - seriously, fuck you WizPig.

Sonic Heroes - URGH WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO HARD TEAM DARK

Sonic 2 -  I have gotten up to the final boss but never actually have seen the ending and the end credits. i just love to slip off oil ocean zone.

To name a few.

gogogo

Edited by AzureHedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 1

Funnily enough, Sonic Unleashed HD.

Yep, the game I have a tendency to partially gush about is one that I've never finished.

I'm not really sure why I never finished it, but I think it might have been a combination of time (high school is a bitch, and I had issues regarding organization and time), and perfectionism (I'm one of those people who sometimes cannot stand the idea of playing through certain games without doing it as close to complete/perfect as possible. Unleashed was one of them, so I kept trying to S rank everything which may or may not have burned me out for a time).

Like half of my entire fucking game collection.

I have a habit of buying games because I simply want to own them right now. As a result, my laundry list of games I have bought and barely touched is always growing, because I want to own them now and worry about playing them later. My gaming mood is always fluctuating and this tends to be a source of frustration to me because I find myself playing older games I've already beaten more often than new ones.

Some standout examples of games I own that I haven't finished due to the above reason are Drill Dozer, Brave Fencer Musashi, Mischief Makers, Metroid Prime 2, and Shantae (on the 3DS VC). Of course, I also have plenty of games of which I did play a substantial amount but managed to forget about down the line. Sometimes it happens when I'm playing a series of games and get burned out after the first or second installments; I bought Sly 3 right after getting the second game, and when I tried jumping right in I lost interest around the second or third world.

There's also my list of Steam games to take into account, like many people I have a tendency to buy something that's on sale just because it's on sale at the time, and I don't have the time to check out every game I get. I've learned to stop checking the Steam page as a result and so I've managed to skip the last few major sales because I don't want to continue this habit.

• Thumbs Up 7

Super Mario Galaxy 2.

I just can't stand the Clockwork Galaxy.

Look, it's cool that SMG 2's difficulty was amped-up from it's prequel which never really got too hard throughout the main story but SMG 2 takes it too steep.

Also, I've never once completed Sonic Spinball. Yes, both the Mega Drive and Game Gear versions. It's filled with fake difficulty, the table layouts are convoluted and are very unforgiving when you mess up and what compounds everything is how boring and unappealing the game as a whole is.

Like half of my entire fucking game collection.

I have a habit of buying games because I simply want to own them right now. As a result, my laundry list of games I have bought and barely touched is always growing, because I want to own them now and worry about playing them later. My gaming mood is always fluctuating and this tends to be a source of frustration to me because I find myself playing older games I've already beaten more often than new ones.

Some standout examples of games I own that I haven't finished due to the above reason are Drill Dozer, Brave Fencer Musashi, Mischief Makers, Metroid Prime 2, and Shantae (on the 3DS VC). Of course, I also have plenty of games of which I did play a substantial amount but managed to forget about down the line. Sometimes it happens when I'm playing a series of games and get burned out after the first or second installments; I bought Sly 3 right after getting the second game, and when I tried jumping right in I lost interest around the second or third world.

There's also my list of Steam games to take into account, like many people I have a tendency to buy something that's on sale just because it's on sale at the time, and I don't have the time to check out every game I get. I've learned to stop checking the Steam page as a result and so I've managed to skip the last few major sales because I don't want to continue this habit.

Me and that Amazon Bioshock pack for $20 dollars can sympathize.

Max Payne 2 and MGS2, and that's only because I don't want to play either until I get a Memory Card with free space for my PS2.

I really should beat Sonic 1 someday. I thought the android version would help since I can saave, but I just can't be arsed to get past Labrynth Zone.

• Thumbs Up 1

For me? Despite being one of my favorite games of all time, Dark Cloud.

Why?

Because of that Ice Bitch- I mean Ice "Queen" Saia. I have never seen a boss as dickish and cheap as she can be: She can freeze your characters in a block of ice, attack you from almost anywhere in the room, and is immune to almost everything you can throw at her, sans the element of fire. She might not seem that bad at first...but in order to beat her you can only use your main character, Toan, and Ruby, who, because you earn her in the same chapter you fight Saia, is generally the weakest member of the party. If Ruby dies and you're out of revival powder: You are shit out of luck because Saia has a form that you can only damage with Ruby. This boss is a horrible blemish on a fairly fantastic game, and It's pretty disappointing that I've yet to beat it because of that one boss.

Just like sean I always feel the need to buy more things which results in a lot of things not getting done (though lately I am going back and having fun with a lot of them) but just to name a few that I got a while back, Blinx, Blinx 2, Vexx, JSRF, Metroid Other M, pac man world 2, Bushingai, Crash Bash, Virtual-On Marz, Threads of fate, and the answer portion of persona 3 along with a couple of other games I have a lot to do along with the entirety of my gamecube collection since my memory card got corrupted last year I have to complete those again and there are a lot of these.

Why?

Because of that Ice Bitch- I mean Ice "Queen" Saia. I have never seen a boss as dickish and cheap as she can be: She can freeze your characters in a block of ice, attack you from almost anywhere in the room, and is immune to almost everything you can throw at her, sans the element of fire. She might not seem that bad at first...but in order to beat her you can only use your main character, Toan, and Ruby, who, because you earn her in the same chapter you fight Saia, is generally the weakest member of the party. If Ruby dies and you're out of revival powder: You are shit out of luck because Saia has a form that you can only damage with Ruby. This boss is a horrible blemish on a fairly fantastic game, and It's pretty disappointing that I've yet to beat it because of that one boss.

Why?

Dark cloud also happens to be the one I haven't finished but not because of saia (actually im on the last part of the game) but because I got dark cloud 2 and got sidetracked and I haven't completed dark cloud 2 yet because the game has an enemy that scares me out of my mind so I haven't continued it for ages (looking at you tores, you abomination of a failed tree experiment).

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting topic, I've had a few games I've been unable to complete over the years. 

Ghost Recon 2 for the Xbox, holy crap that's a tough game. It's rather obscure too because the Xbox version was completely different from the more popular PS2/GC version, which means there's almost no walkthroughs or anything for it, sadly. 

Glover for N64's another tough one too... that and it's kinda bleh too so it's also a lack of motivation to finish it. Still though I've had the game since I was a kid so I should finish it one of these days. It's that damn lava Dino level I'm stuck on though... blargh.

Banjo Kazooie - (N64) I have actually never beaten this game although I have nearly all jiggies, notes, and Jinjos. I'm stuck at Click Clock Woods looking for the remainder final jiggies to take me to the final boss.

Wow, I used to be stuck on this too. Click Clock Woods is tough, but definitely doable. Have you tried using a guide for the last couple of jiggies? It's a pretty huge level.

Diddy Kong Racing (N64) - seriously, fuck you WizPig.

Hey at least you got to WizPig, to this day I still can't complete those damn collecting disc challenges. I hate those so muuuuuuuuuuuuch. 

I really should beat Sonic 1 someday. I thought the android version would help since I can saave, but I just can't be arsed to get past Labrynth Zone.

Labrynth Zone seriously is the worst thing ever and the fact that Scrap Brain Zone Act 3 is a recolor of it was a horrible idea behind development. Labrynth and Scrap Brain's Act 3 are the very reasons why I still haven't beat Sonic 1 yet......without cheating. :P

Half of my game collection remains incomplete, but the one I think stands out the most is Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. This was the first video game I ever played, and I still can't beat the final boss to this day. Even after multiple playthroughs I still can't get past it, what am I doing wrong?! D:

Edited by Enderwoman

*Resident Evil 4: i didn't even bothered to enter in the church. The fight with the lake monster was cool, but i'm not a fan of the horror/TPS genre.

*Shadow the Hedgehog: i managed to made it to the level with the falling ARK platforms, and then i couldn't pass the first steps of the level.

*Aladdin: Nasira's Revenge: i say this with shame, since it's a great game, but the ice slide in the second cavern level was impossible.

*Monster Hunter Freedom Unite: sorry, not a big fan of the Monster Hunter formula, and i learned that the hard way.

*Lord of Arcana: same problem here.

*Soul Calibur III: can you believe i bought this game with the intention to play it and never had a chance to actually stick into the console? And by the time i was ready, my PS2 was already gone in favour of a PS3. Oh well, i can hope Namco will do and HD version of even this chapter.

*Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly: no, really, do i have to say more?

*Spyro: A Hero's Tail: a better game, but still it just wasn't fun to me.

*Chrono Cross: it's just a mess. I'm sorry, but while i'm happy to see more path to choose in a JRPG, it's a different story when i risk to lose permanently one or more characters for the most stupidiest of the reasons. -also, i still didn't got how you level up-

I have a few:

The Saboteur: Got this one for free off of Gamefly thanks to a coupon. On the surface it sounds like my jam, being a mixture of GTA and Assassin's Creed. But I don't know, I've just never really gotten that invested in it. A couple years ago I did get somewhat into it but then my PS3's hard drive crashed and I lost my save. I haven't really felt compelled to go back to it ever since.

Dragon Age Origins: Awakening: It's just an expansion pack, really, only 10 hours long or so from what I've heard...so why in the fudge haven't I really played it? I guess it's because I *refuse* to create a new character for this campaign and would much rather carry over my old one. The problem is that I always want to play through Origins itself first, which is incredibly long. By the time I'm finished with it, I don't WANT to play Awakening. So I always say I'll come back to it in a few weeks...I never do. >_>

And since Teoskaven just reminded me of it:

Resident Evil 4: I rented it when it came out and I LOVED it! I even got a good chunk of the way through it, certainly well past the halfway point. So what happened? Well, I backed myself into a corner. I got to a really hard boss with practically zero bullets left and no prior save points to go back to. I'm not even sure it would have been possible for me to make any more progress. So I pretty much gave up. I couple years later I bought it but I just haven't felt interested in it ever since. By this point I don't know if I'll ever care, to be honest.

Way too many, man.

Sonic and the Secret Rings (Wii): That game was trash, my worst purchase ever. I got to some purple scorpion boss thing and gave up. I'm trying to sell this shit, so I'm sure that I'll never finish it.

Epic Mickey (Wii): The game was alright, but not enough for me to care about finishing it or not. I got to some match the pictures puzzle in the haunted mansion section and got stuck in there. Meanwhile I got some new games and totally forgot about it. I'm also trying to sell it, so I won't finish it.

Final Fantasy XIII (PS3): I'm on that open world section full of giant ass monsters. If I remember correctly, I rushed trough the whole game until that part, so I'm underlevel or whatever. I could just grind against the shittiest creatures there, but I'm not in the mood to do it. Eh, maybe in the near future I'll return to it.

Dead Rising 2 (PS3): I really liked the game, but things got hard when I got to one of the last psychopaths and I stopped playing it for a while and forgot about it.

Recently I tried to do it again, but being out of touch with how the game plays for a long time mixed with the fact that shit is hard because it is near the final boss only makes it harder for me to actually finish it.

Man, fuck you Sullivan.

I'm sure that there are many more, but those are the ones that I can think of right now.

I have probably over 600 games, and the amount I've beaten is probably less than 1/3.

I guess the most glaring examples are Sonic Heroes, every MGS game besides 4, Metroid Prime 2, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess.  I'll probably beat TP at some point, but the sailing in WW is just becoming a drag, and I'm at the Triforce quest, and I just flat-out quit.  Maybe I'll give the remake a shot at some point.

Also Secret Rings, but I'm with Tmsp, that's not worth finishing.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a multitude of games I never beat and I'm only naming games I played on the console, so no emulation stuff is included.

Well I never beat the ps1 version of test drive and soviet strike and yes I still have them and a ps1 and they all work. Moving on to n64: Goldeneye 007 (I guess... the game was already at 100% completion and all cheats were activated, it was a used cartridge) Pokemon stadium 1 and 2.

I'm getting rid of most of my ps2 games, so I won't ever come back to them. Marvel: rise of the imperfects and test drive. On wii there's Wario land shake it! (the whole multiple objectives thing makes it kinda boring to have to backtrack constantly), Epic mickey, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, and Goldeneye 007 (bond of duty 2)

Onto xbox 360: Need for speed: hot pursuit, Need For Speed: Most Wanted, Skate 3 (idk, the park editor looked cool), far cry 2 (i can't see anything, everythings too brown bright/dark and muddy, only the map editor is cool), DJ hero 2 (I played guitar hero at an arcade, yah I'm more into the hip hop genre so...), Sonic and Sega All stars Racing (I beat all the missions, but I don't recall seeing the credits. I also never got every character or track to time attack on.) Midnight club LA (frustration w/races, no online multiplayer (I didn't have gold)=no motivation), grand theft auto IV (I got bored redoing the same missions and I even used cheats w/no success), Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (I lost my save file after trying to play the game again last month after having not played it for years, then I also realized how mundane the game was).

Up next DS/3ds games: Super Mario 64 DS (I don't even know why I bought this game; I own the n64 version on my still working n64. Oh yeah now I remember...there was nothing to buy...), Chronicles Samarai Warriors (too much strategy and objectives, I just want to hack and slash to the main officer w/few objectives), Sonic Classic Collection (this was before I knew emulators were legit)

Edit: I forgot the gb and gba ones: super mario land, kirby's Dreamland, sonic advance 3 (sunset hill, nuff said), megaman battle network 4: blue moon, megaman zero 3, Super mario bros. 3, and 4 Pokemon games (I lost interest in the franchise when black and white was introduced, so I won't play these), Sapphire (I have 2 copies), Ruby, firered and leafgreen.

Edited by sunic

A lot of Rare's on OP's games I see.

Honestly... notthat many on my list, I tend to finish my games

SMB2: It just hasn't interested me enough to beat it. Controls are also pretty slippery which causes me to fall off a lot.

SMB2JP: So fucking hard

Zelda 1: Stuck at dungeon 6

Zelda 2: lost interest quickly

Explorers of the Sky: It's a great game, but I haven't beaten it for whatever reason...

Edited by Scootaloo

Banjo Kazooie - I got up to the place before Click Clock Wood (Clankers Cavern or whatever it's called) but I just totally lost interest. I hate when games just give you a "Collect 100 irrelevant items in EVERY world in the game because story purposes!" reason to go around doing the same thing over and over again. Never want to touch that game again.

Super Mario 64 - Pretty much same reason as Banjo.

Quantum Conundrum - Beat it once but save file was erased, and I just can't find it in me to beat that game again. I mean it was good, but it's just the type of game I don't feel like replaying as long as I can remember it.

De Blob 2 - I really enjoy the game, but there are other games on my shelf that I always get distracted by and just end up forgetting about beating this game.

Shadow The Hedgehog - I thought it wouldn't be as bad as people said it would be. Never bothered beating the second level.

Biggest one for me lately was ZombiU.  Just like Red Steel back on the Wii I bought it coz omg first person shooter taking full advantage of revolutionary new controller and then it turns out to be a spectacularly mediocre shooter.  After the likes of BioShock and Half-Life man do I just not get into shooters unless they have a stellar storyline and world building.  ZombiU has neither, especially heightened by the fact that as a UKian I notice every little "off" thing that doesn't quite look like the London I know, etc.  I thought it would be way more open and survival-ish too, but what I did play was very claustrophobic and linear, even the outdoor areas.

Over on Steam, I have Botanicula and Giana Sisters which both looked totally up my street but just failed to keep a hold on my attention.  I also don't think I'll ever finish The Scourge Project now since I played it exclusively with my BFF who died and our good friend who now does not have a stable gaming computer.  Even with him, it wouldn't be the same to finish it without her.

Also, while I'm always saying I don't enjoy the original Half-Life much, I did pretty enjoy the side story "Blue Shift", but strangely couldn't get into "Opposing Force" at all, even though the former was way way more "level pack" territory, with no new weapons or enemies.  But maybe it was the familiarity I enjoyed.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've owned 3D Dot Game Heroes since the day it came out, but I honestly haven't played it more than an hour or so (and it took quite a while to even do that much). I just can't get into it, as much as I adore the concept (and the execution too, even).

Any classic Mario game not named Super Mario World.

I seriously should try to beat that shit, but its pretty hard.

Oh and Death Jr., Phantom Brave, and Muramasa the Demon Blade I guess.

Edited by Crow the BOOLET

Wow, I'm surprised so many people buy so many games and then never complete them, or at least beat the story modes. I have 510 games in my collection right now and I would say at least 2/3 of them are beaten at this point, many of the ones listed here, are ones I've completed. I beat all three banjo titles and have beaten all three prime's as well. Dark cloud 1 and 2 are great games and beaten them aswell.

Let's see though, some games I haven't beaten in my collection.

Sonic Advance 3- Honestly, I think I was just in burn out after Sonic Advanced 1 and 2. I'll likely go back and finish it eventually.

Sonic Shuffle- This was mainly due to high difficulty back in the day that I nnever finished it.

Nightmare Creatures, and Glover- Both bad games in my opinion, so they weren't that fun to play.

Bug- This is another one with such just high difficulty and unfair continue systems and such.

These are just some I can think of right now, but I know there are others I haven't beaten. Most of the time, if I don't beat something, it usually for some unfairness reason, otherwise, I complete most of the games I play.

• Thumbs Up 1

Holy crap, at least ya'll have collections (damn me and my near non-existent income...)

To the top of my head all I can think of is Sonic Advance 2...this is just about the main campaign of the game i.e. the story right? Cuz if that's not the case then I can say nearly every game I played I haven't beaten 100% (like, got everything there is in the game)