Awoo.

Rules Regarding Signatures and Such

Tornado

Just a note too, you can disable signatures (which I have done) if you feel peoples' signatures are slowing down your browsing. It will also prevent possible spoilers (as I know a ton of people are avoiding them). People have been getting ridiculous with their signatures so it left me with disabling all of them. This is why we can't have nice things.

Hopefully more people will pay attention to the signature limit.

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 6

Does it matter if you spoiler the Gifs or not? I heard that fixed the whole page refusing to load thing (as long as you don't open all the spoilers at once), but I could be grossly misinformed so if I am I apologize. 

Also, people, if you wanna show some SLW love with those awesome GIF's, use your About Me on your profile like I'm using. That doesn't have a limit on it. 

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 1

Does it matter if you spoiler the Gifs or not? I heard that fixed the whole page refusing to load thing (as long as you don't open all the spoilers at once), but I could be grossly misinformed so if I am I apologize.

Also, people, if you wanna show some SLW love with those awesome GIF's, use your About Me on your profile like I'm using. That doesn't have a limit on it.

I asked bmn about this a while ago his answer is directly below my post. Apparently it depends on the browser's handling of a CSS tag. In most major browsers, spoiler tagging the images will unfortunately not prevent them from being loaded with the page.

• Thumbs Up 1

What if there was signature approval where when 3 to 5 days go by in case they need to change it lot they would get approval, suggestion, and warning?

• Thumbs Up 1

What if there was signature approval where when 3 to 5 days go by in case they need to change it lot they would get approval, suggestion, and warning?

I don't know if that's possible with this software, but I imagine it would be more of a burden than anything.  Especially since there are members who use their signatures to advertise their most recent works.

I wouldn't mind too much if we installed something that either automatically condensed images in signatures or prevented you from updating once you reached a certain limit.  I know that's possible on some forum software, but I'm not sure about the latest version of IPB.  Though I imagine that imposing such a feature would probably go against Tornado's message of "we give lenience for a reason," which is for the greater good, really.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

It is generally the newer blood who will break little rules like this, so if one wanted a "quality control," simply making it so one needs 50 or so posts before you can even have a signature is pretty good for achieving that.

In the case of the oversized GIFs issue, though, I don't think it was newer members forming that issue. In that case it really should be just a simple "Be considerate with what you use as for your signature or else" ruling, I'd think - the same idea that governs how we post. Our posts aren't screened prior to their being published, after all, but we do face repercussions if we aren't careful with what we put in them.

Edited by Ogil.exe Maurice
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bump the thread, but I was wondering if the gif I have in my signature currently (if you're a member reading this in 2000 years time, nevermind) is okay to use? If it is, I personally found it a bit large even though it fits the sizing rules, so I spoilered it so people can chose whether they want to see it or not.

If it fits within the limits outlined in the rules, it's fine.  Just don't add like several more on top or below it or anything. ^.^ <3

Sorry to bump the thread, but I was wondering if the gif I have in my signature currently (if you're a member reading this in 2000 years time, nevermind) is okay to use? If it is, I personally found it a bit large even though it fits the sizing rules, so I spoilered it so people can chose whether they want to see it or not.

The problem isn't the resolution (well, outside of GIF compression methods) so much as it is the size. If a GIF is near or over 1MB it can cause issues for users on slower connections or service providers which still maintain monthly data caps (most do - biggest offenders being cellphone providers).

While your image is fine and I appreciate how considerate you're being with putting it behind spoiler tags, any content within the spoilers is loaded per page even without touching the button. These tags do not circumvent load times.

Edit: That said, I feel that the rules regarding signatures could use some amendments in the near future.

• 1 year later...

Whatever is thread about Sonic Master System Generations Project it's still plagiarism?

• The topic was unpinned