Awoo.

Sonic ‘Experiences’ and what they feel like/where to find them.

JonoD

Here’s a bit of a brainfart of a topic I’ve thought up, but it would be interesting to see some of the things that people can come up with for it.

Basically, Sonic can do a whole bunch of crazy stuff that we people could only dream about doing in the real world. Speeding through loops, speeding down vertical inclines and all that. It’s the stuff of make believe, isn’t it?

Well… There are plenty of moments in Sonic games that do have real world ‘next best things’ available, and I’m sure that at least some of us have experienced them for ourselves or at least know of something that could be done to get the same sensation that Sonic would.

To get things rolling, lets look at where you could go to feel what Sonic is likely to feel when undergoing a Sonic Boost:

sonic1.jpg

So basically… standing start, instant acceleration to top speed. Quite easy to get a feeling of what this is like actually! Those of you with a theme park of some kind near you may have one of my personal favourite amusement rides: The Accelerator Coaster.

Intamin-inverted-accelerator-coaster-Kno

Basically, from a standstill, you are catapulted to your top speed in literally a matter of seconds, as this video will show:

This particular ride in question, ‘Dodonpa’ in Japan has the fastest acceleration of any roller coaster in the world. 0-109MPH in less than 2 seconds!

What does this feel like?

Haven’t quite been lucky enough to ride Dodonpa, but I’ve ridden quite a few roller coasters which feature a launch/powerful acceleration to get you moving (Stealth at Thorpe Park and Rita at Alton Towers. Both in the UK).

All I can say is whoa. The sensation you get of being accelerated at speed like this is nothing short of breathtaking. A sudden force pounds into you, and the sudden rush of the wind in your face gives you a brilliant sense of speed right from the off. I can easily see why Sonic may get a rush from going at speed, and in a hurry too.

Basically, this makes you feel alive. Very alive.

So, that’s what this topic is ultimately about. Where can we find our fix of real-world Sonic experiences and what do they actually feel like?

• Thumbs Up 6

Honestly? I've written about this before but there were 2 instances that made me honestly feel the thrill Sonic probably gets when he powers through loops and corkscrews, first off to feel a Sonic Boost, for me was riding Porta Ventura's Furius Baco, a rollercaster that propels you at 88mph in a matter of seconds, the ride is over in 20 seconds and at the 15 second mark you enter a high velocity barrel roll that made me scream "WOOOO!!" So yeah, total Sonic moment there.

Another was the Dragon Khan also in Porta Ventura, another rollercoaster filled to the brim with loop de loops, corkscrews, barrel rolls, everything It literally felt like I was running an Unleashed Day Time stage, it was staggering and breath taking.

• Thumbs Up 1

Forget speed, when I want to feel like Sonic I simply pop down to my local Wetherspoons for a Chilli Dog

wetherspoon_1236831c.jpg

ooooooohhhhh yeeeeeeaaaaahhh!!!!

Edited by Jake Bird

Forget speed, when I want to feel like Sonic I simply pop down to my local Wetherspoons for a Chilli Dog

Love Chilidogs now. I'm glad I eat them from time to time, and you can never eat just one. Be they from Sonic drive in, which have great chilidogs, or home made ones with some hormel chili on them. Both are great options. After you know Sonic loves them, you almost can't help but think it when you are eating one of them these days. tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 2

I love Chili dogs too :). Wait... I don't think I've ever had one.. But the two flavors seem good to me :).

I used to put my fingers in the water of my pool and spin as fast as I can and pretend shadow and Sonic were racing :).

I also wore an Amy costume to an anime convention and got glomped by shadow.... yeah.... huh.png  a little backwards!

Oddly I ran in the 'Sonic' gait as a young child, and it was coincidence as I wasn't a Sonic fan at the time, I can't vouch for it myself.
If there's one thing me and Sonic could agree on it's that exercise=fun times, in fact exercise occasionally makes me euphoric, not running as I'm actually crap at running, but dancing or biking.

I once ran down a ski slope during the summer, when there was no snow. With my airplane arms behind me and gaining more and more speed as I went down. Then I realized I couldn't really stop. It was silly, but fun.

Does that way he runs with his arms behind his back even help when running? Most people when running do the swinging the arms at their sides instead of the arms straight out behind them like Sonic does.

Does that way he runs with his arms behind his back even help when running? Most people when running do the swinging the arms at their sides instead of the arms straight out behind them like Sonic does.

My friend and I do it and we are both extremely fast runners.

My friend and I do it and we are both extremely fast runners.

Well, if it works it works. I'm just not seen many people run that way before. smile.png

On the rare occasions that I go to disneyland when I ride the dumbo ride I feel like Knuckles gliding through the air. Like you know your not flying since your going to return to the ground but all the same a good sensation. Also riding the matterhorn makes you feel like super sonic flying through the air to beat up a bad guy.

Never tried this before but playing wack a mole with a hammer would probably make you feel like Amy Rose.

I've been on Top Thrill Dragster and Millennium Force at Cedar Point. The former goes to 120mph in seconds, the latter only (lol, only) gets up to 95-ish I think but is a longer ride. The startling acceleration of Dragster is so much fun - I can see why Sonic likes running. To him it's probably not so much "running" as taking himself for a wicked-fast ride. Without waiting in line first.

I've tried running down big hills before too, when I was younger. Not because I wanted to be Sonic or anything, but just because kids do stupid shit. It was really too steep of a hill to do that on. My legs couldn't keep up with my momentum and I just kind of fell forward and kept skidding down on my elbows, which wasn't fun. 

I also used to snowboard, and remember going down a big hill (people never learn) where there was a ramp. It was just a snow-ramp that someone had made, but it was large, and packed well. This time I was comparing it to Sonic pretty consciously, considering SA's snowboarding segment. The first few times I went slow, nice and easy, and then got too confident and went at it full speed. I guess I felt like Tails for a second there, in the air, rather than Sonic. That didn't end well either, but it was still fun until I landed. unsure.png

Love Chilidogs now. I'm glad I eat them from time to time, and you can never eat just one. Be they from Sonic drive in, which have great chilidogs, or home made ones with some hormel chili on them. Both are great options. After you know Sonic loves them, you almost can't help but think it when you are eating one of them these days. tongue.png

I think it's only proper to get Chilidogs from Sonics Drive In. Haha.

Before he went on his diet, chilidogs were all my boyfriend ordered at Sonics. And he'd always be wearing his Sonic shirts saying "These are way past good!" in that Jaleel voice. It amuses me. laugh.png