Awoo.

James Pond Official Kickstarter Campaign!

sploit

Anybody else remember playing James Pond on their Mega Drive?

He was pretty big in the early nineties!

Here is an official Kickstarter campaign for him to return...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gameware/james-pond-pond-is-back

I am gonna back this on Monday as I would love to see him make a proper return.

If you also would, then back it :)

£10 gets you a digital copy of the game when it's done!

• Thumbs Up 2

I do remember James Pond. I adored James 3: Operation Starfish (on the Genesis), which was packed with fun/challenging gameplay, collectables, secret areas, and a quality soundtrack. It was a massive game with over 100 levels. I wish it was on PSN. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJWZYp5eh7Y

I would love to see a new James Pond game.

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have the first game and I have Robocod. I haven't played the third one, but would definitely like to, it looks awesome. Really excited for this and hope it reaches it's funding goal.

£100,000?

Does anyone else think thats kinda low for a kickstarter game pitch? Only, theres no footage of it, no pre/aplha builds or proof of concept demo, just a few bits of concept art, yet the goal is only 100k?

That seems, really low?

More reason to support it and help make it happen? It would be a damn shame if it didn't hit it's goal... ...they even have Pond's original creator involved :D

More reason to support it and help make it happen?

No, that means theres more reason to question it and ask how much progress has actually been made into this.

From the looks of things, they're not even out of the initial design stage, it doesn't look or sound like anyone has done anything off paper yet. And with such a low goal, this raises a few more questions.

I think his point was that it sounds like a scam.

Granted I don't know why anyone would try to do a vidya kickstarter scam so soon after the Cheetahmen II reboot bulshit.

I don't think the original designer would support a scam.

This is not a scam. Many companies seem to use things like this to gauge interest and see if people really want to see the product made.

Also, not all games need a million dollar budget.

Edited by sploit

I don't think it sounds like a scam.... well... not yet at least.

Only, it just doesn't seem like it's anywhere near enough based on what was shown. In fact, in the notes under the 'what we've already done' this is it...

- Acquired the full historic rights to James Pond! (was this not done nearly 10 years ago?)
- Convinced Chris Sorrell, the original designer to be involved.
- Tracked down the original team and interviewed them ruthlessly!
- Generated some initial funding.
- Setting of our next funding goal and deciding what we want to achieve!

Anyone spot anything that would suggest actual work on the game other than pens to paper has started?

Sometimes that's the biggest hurdle though, and then the main bulk of work can be done more easily. I really wanna see this happen. Classic retro platforming character making a comeback. Would love to see Cool Spot come back too! I thought it was great when Rocket Knight got a sequel on 360/PS3 for download.

Despite Robocod being among the first games I ever played I must admit, I never had much love for the series. While I'd be happy if this game came out, I honestly wouldn't care if it didn't so I won't be backing it.

As for Hogfather's problem, yeah. It's a little suspicious that so little work seems to have gone into the game. As for the budget though, I think they're gonna be reproducing the sprite/art style of the original games so the budget wouldn't need to be massive. It's even possible that, when squiring the rights, that they aqquired some of the original assests as well which would reduce the cost even more.

I think the artwork they're using is a little misleading if they do down down the classic megadrive style sprites, the concept art on show might lead backers to think they're getting a Rayman Origins style game....

Edit: Also...are we forgetting that James Pond already got a new game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64r21AVtodQ

....maybe we're forgetting on purpose....

Edited by Jake Bird

That game was made by different devs though! Also that didn't involve the original creator or any of these guys...if you watch the vid the guy heading this seems very good! Final point...that iOS game isn't that bad...it is what it is... Typical simple iOS free app with basic touch controls! I have it on my iPad Mini!

The budget shouldn't really be an issue. MANY indie games are at low budgets like that. I have a feeling that the huge budgets of Shantae and Mighty #9 may have clouded that a bit.

Let's see where this goes...

I played James Pond once. The Robocod one for GBA...

A password save system ruins everything and in such, I won't support this. But good luck to them I guess

Where exactly does it mention anything about a password save system? Anyways... Backed the collectors edition - Manta Ray with the Golden Gun package/tier! Includes a physical copy! Really want this to succeed! *fingers crossed*

Where exactly does it mention anything about a password save system? Anyways... Backed the collectors edition - Manta Ray with the Golden Gun package/tier! Includes a physical copy! Really want this to succeed! *fingers crossed*

I never said anything about this reboot/remake/whatever having a password system, I'm talking about the James Pond game I had for GBA. And in the days I had it, that always infuriated me, so since, I have never and will never play another James Pond game, nor support this.