Awoo.

Can character inclusions (besides Sonic) now work with SLW's gameplay?

Narukami07

With the boost trilogy gone, along with platform based level design being bought back, can anyone actually see this type of gameplay working for other characters not named Sonic? I think i can really see the potential around that....

I think that Lost World was a great chance to bring other character's gameplay back like with tails for example. He would work like his Adventure gameplay style with him being able to fly through levels to get to certain paths that other characters wouldn't be able to reach. And Knuckles could have really worked with this whole planetary physics thing not like SA2's level with Rouge but with some tweaking, I think this could have really worked. Amy's gameplay could have also been slowed down a bit and she could explore levels too.

Edited by CRiTTER
  • Thumbs Up 5

Totaly! for example:

Characters with similar movesets to sonic, Shadow, Blaze, Espio(you would think he would have parkour like skills, along with camo and others) and Metal Sonic have no excuse, all they need is variance in stats, and some have replacements for parkour(Metal sonic being capable limited flight for example at high speeds)
other characters, such as tails, Rouge and knuckles the primary change is having gliding, climbing, and flying instead of the parkour(or the air kick), and possibly special attack. Even Vector could be doable, as he would have heavy momentum, and could possibly have a spindash move that acts like parkour, allowing him to climb up walls(due to his spikes)

Amy would be trickiest, but then again even without spindash, and being slower, she could have various hammer moves

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

The boost games didn't necessarily exclude all of the character when it comes to gameplay. Hell, the boost's debut as a primary mechanic had an alternate playable character (Blaze), Shadow was shown to be capable of his own variation in Generations, and Metal Sonic practically had it with his V. Maximum Overdrive move long before Sonic could do it. Though Lost World's gameplay is certainly more open to characters not as speed based, such as Tails, Knuckles, and Amy, who I could easily see getting in on the action with just a couple of changes made to Sonic's move pool. Really, the only problem with inclusion is the same that it always has been, Sega/Sonic Team's reluctance to do so and possible issues with the plot.

I think that Lost World was a great chance to bring other character's gameplay back like with tails for example. He would work like his Adventure gameplay style with him being able to fly through levels to get to certain paths that other characters wouldn't be able to reach. And Knuckles could have really worked with this whole planetary physics thing not like SA2's level with Rouge but with some tweaking, I think this could have really worked. Amy's gameplay could have also been slowed down a bit and she could explore levels too.

Definitely, there's potential with this style and i'd love to see it come to fruition. 

That depends on what you want out of other characters. Strictly speaking, there wasn't anything preventing them from putting other characters in the boost games, save for the expense of doing so. But if you want to properly make use of each character's abilities...well, that's a much trickier situation.

I would say that SLoW's gameplay is definitely better suited for it than the boost gameplay was. It's not as single-minded and narrowly focused, so it might actually have room for alternate takes. But I'm not sure how it'd all shake out regarding the parkour. On the one hand, you could keep the parkour as Sonic's gimmick (or spread it around to any other characters who are quick but don't have much in the way of vertical movement) and have characters like Tails and Knuckles rely on their existing abilities. But the parkour is a big part of SLoW's gameplay, and simply flying over and around things might not be as interesting or fun as parkouring across them. On the other hand, you could give parkour to everyone, alongside their existing abilities. But then you risk getting into a S3&K situation where Sonic is outclassed by his buddies, and the combination of parkour and character-specific movement abilities could be game-breaking, letting the more mobile characters fly over almost any obstacle.

Plus there's still the problem that some characters are kind of game-breaking on their own; SLoW's gameplay doesn't really come with solutions to prevent Tails from flying over everything.

• Thumbs Up 1

Absolutely. This is the closest to the open-ended design of the Adventure games that we've gotten in a long time, and the playable characters worked then, so I don't see why they wouldn't work here. They would all have the same control scheme in general (run button, spindash, etc), but have their own spin on things such as flying, gliding, climbing walls without parkour, a hammer, faster homing attack, long range attacks, or whatever else fits each character.

I like to refer to Sonic Rivals 2 in this case. Everyone in that game had the same speed and spindash, just different special abilities. That's not what they should do for Lost World, but rather do what I mentioned above which is give everyone else their own natural moves, and maybe change some of the speeds (not too drastically though, more like Sonic's speed compared to Knuckles in S3&K).

One thing I would really like to return along side the characters, which could have been brought back in Lost World with the whole 360˚ thing they have going on, is multiple paths exclusive to each character. Sonic has the basic path which is still interesting enough, while maybe there's that high platform that he can't reach with parkour and Tails needs to get to. Or maybe there's that underground cavern that only Knuckles can get to since the drill wisp isn't around. Perhaps that switch that Shadow needs to Chaos Control over to? Really basic (and kinda bad) examples, but you get what I mean.

• Thumbs Up 2

Since the gameplay now features the new kick attack button (also featuring the slide, stomp, etc), that can be replaced with different moves for other characters. I imagine they could also reskin the kick attack to fit an attack suitable to Tails, Knuckles, and Amy; like in the form of a tail sweep, a spiral punch or a hammer swing (respectively).

As for replacing parkour, its a bit harder to pinpoint, but it shouldn't be too bad since with the new gameplay it'd at least mean everyone has a run button, even if it doesn't allow them to do parkour. 

We won't know until its actually utilized, but the new style can allow for some variety as far as moveset is concerned. Now Sonic actually has a few moves that can make him standout and not seem redundant with depowering the rest of the cast.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not a matter of rather or not they can work, but how they will work.  There's really been nothing but Sega's own hesitance that has kept them from returning in playable form.  But all the mechanics and other developments in Lost World really do open a pretty wide door for other playable characters, using Sonic as a template.

Everyone could work potentially. And the Parkour could work with Knuckles, Vector and Espio since the 2 former can climb and the latter is a Ninja and could stick to walls indefinitely. Tails and Knuckles (And Rouge for both I guess) should also be able to go through the Eagle and Drill pathways without using the wisps. 

The Kick attack and Bounce can easily be replaced with each characters specific abilities.

Absolutely. This is the closest to the open-ended design of the Adventure games that we've gotten in a long time, and the playable characters worked then, so I don't see why they wouldn't work here. They would all have the same control scheme in general (run button, spindash, etc), but have their own spin on things such as flying, gliding, climbing walls without parkour, a hammer, faster homing attack, long range attacks, or whatever else fits each character.

I like to refer to Sonic Rivals 2 in this case. Everyone in that game had the same speed and spindash, just different special abilities. That's not what they should do for Lost World, but rather do what I mentioned above which is give everyone else their own natural moves, and maybe change some of the speeds (not too drastically though, more like Sonic's speed compared to Knuckles in S3&K).

One thing I would really like to return along side the characters, which could have been brought back in Lost World with the whole 360˚ thing they have going on, is multiple paths exclusive to each character. Sonic has the basic path which is still interesting enough, while maybe there's that high platform that he can't reach with parkour and Tails needs to get to. Or maybe there's that underground cavern that only Knuckles can get to since the drill wisp isn't around. Perhaps that switch that Shadow needs to Chaos Control over to? Really basic (and kinda bad) examples, but you get what I mean.

Basically, this. When I thought of other characters being playable in SLoW's control style, this is exactly what I was thinking. Each character has their own special moves that can help them find different routes, even if they are running through the same exact level (ala Sonic 3 & Knuckles). This was pretty much what I want in Multiple Playable characters entirely. It worked in S3&K and could possibly work to an even higher degree here.

I don't see why not. One way we can work in the other characters is have parkour exclusive to Sonic. Tails and Knuckles can have their trademark abilities to fly and climb walls to get around the place.

actualy now that I think about it, Shadow wouldnt even need parkour, if they implemented short range teleportation that requires rings to recharge

I don't see why not.  There definitely seems to be a bigger emphasis on alternate paths, platforming, and exploration.  Compared to the boost games, it would be much more natural to implement other characters, possibly giving them areas only accessible to them.

A lot of people have been wanting them to be implemented for a long time, but with this new gameplay style, now seems like the perfect time to do so.  Assuming the game turns out good.

I think Sonic Team need more time to work on Sonic's game play, and figure out where that is going first before they venture into other characters.

I know I've said this too many times in other threads, but I completely disagree with this idea. How much longer do we have to wait until it's perfect? They have not once come out and said what the gameplay style they are trying to achieve is like, or what it consists of, so how do we know when Sonic's game play is all fine and dandy? What makes Sonic's gameplay good enough for others to join the roster?

In addition to all of this, they did not need to perfect Sonic's 3D gameplay in Sonic Adventure, yet they had characters in those games. I think Sonic's gameplay in that game is good.

Edited by TheVGamer
  • Thumbs Up 2

I know I've said this too many times in other threads, but I completely disagree with this idea. How much longer do we have to wait until it's perfect? They have not once come out and said what the gameplay style they are trying to achieve is like, or what it consists of, so how do we know when Sonic's game play is all fine and dandy? What makes Sonic's gameplay good enough for others to join the roster?

Who knows. Considering how much trouble they've had with the series, I really can't blame them for wanting to focus on the things that are necessary over the things that are optional. And I really don't think it's fair to discount that simply because they can't provide an exact prediction of when they'll be satisfied with it.

In addition to all of this, they did not need to perfect Sonic's 3D gameplay in Sonic Adventure, yet they had characters in those games. I think Sonic's gameplay in that game is good.

SA wasn't terrible, but the gameplay still had plenty of problems, the other characters were more detrimental to the game than beneficial, and it planted some of the seeds that led to '06. I don't think trying to pull another SA is a good goal for them.

If somebody has been wanting to play Tails in a platformer, I don't really think they're unjustified at being upset with constantly being told to wait, when they have been waiting for years already.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu
  • Thumbs Up 7

I can kinda see the characters working in SLW:

Tails: He can do parkour, but it more slower when he is wall running, but more faster when he is running up a wall (Due to his two tails), and he can fly too. 

Knuckles: The slowest character out of the bunch, but he can destroy robots easier, and can also glide and climb up walls.

Amy: Can't do parkour, but can use her hammer to give her a bigger jump or catapult over large gaps.

Edited by Wonder Jam

If somebody has been wanting to play Tails in a platformer, I don't really think they're unjustified at being upset with constantly being told to wait, when they have been waiting for years already.

That makes it sound as if playing as a yellow fox is a basic human right.  This is the only fanbase that gets so riled up when their favorite character isn't playable.  

Also, wasn't tails playable in S4 ep 2?

That makes it sound as if playing as a yellow fox is a basic human right.  This is the only fanbase that gets so riled up when their favorite character isn't playable.  

Also, wasn't tails playable in S4 ep 2?

Not really. Why is it no unnatural for someone to be upset when their favorite character isn't getting any screentime? Why is this suddenly exclusive to Sonic?

That makes it sound as if playing as a yellow fox is a basic human right. 

No, it makes it sound as if that person is disappointed that one of their favorite aspects of a game series is being brushed aside, which is a pretty universal thing with gamers in general. It's dickish to extrapolate this disappointment into a person overreacting as if this is a social injustice.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not really. Why is it no unnatural for someone to be upset when their favorite character isn't getting any screentime? Why is this suddenly exclusive to Sonic?

Because Sega never even remotely promised additional playable characters.  It's never been hinted at.  These are imaginary expectations hoisted on the franchise by an insatiable fanbase.  And as for screentime, we'll be seeing Knuckles and Amy again so that's a plus.  That and each of the characters was given a moment to shine in Generations.  

If sega had been constantly promising multiple characters and year after year they failed to deliver, some of the rage in the community might be justified.  

Edited by Radrappy

Promises are completely irrelevant to being disappointed that something you liked that once continuously showed up constantly is not showing up anymore.

Because Sega never even remotely promised additional playable characters.  It's never been hinted at.  These are imaginary expectations hoisted on the franchise by an insatiable fanbase.  And as for screentime, we'll be seeing Knuckles and Amy again so that's a plus.  That and each of the characters was given a moment to shine in Generations.  

If sega had been constantly promising multiple characters and year after year they failed to deliver, some of the rage in the community might be justified.  

well, it was a standard of the series from sonic2 all the way to '06(even further including spinoffs), people can be disappointed about what many consider a staple of the series