Awoo.

Can character inclusions (besides Sonic) now work with SLW's gameplay?

Narukami07

I think the red rings are going to unlock those bonus stages and possibly Super Sonic. I don't think it's going to unlock something so unneeded.

Too bad the game shows the emeralds lighting up without the person having all the red rings. Also the bonus stages will probably act like the new super Mario bros series stages as little hand me outs for players that die too much.

I don't know if it's me, but I don't think any other character that isn't sonic or doesn't play like sonic should be in 3D. I can't really imagine Tails playing in a 3D area without it being enjoyable as sonic in 3d compared to tails in 2d and sonic in 2d. Like unless if they give tails the ability to home attack, boost or whatever, it'll just be weird. I don't know what I'm saying but I can't see it working. That might be the reason why we have only sonic for now. They might need to do some perfecting.

They've been trying to "perfect" Sonic's gameplay for sometime now...

That more or less seems like an excuse now. Unless they have a game where it is literally just Sonic and Eggman, I see no reason why Sonic's pals can't be playable. They just need to think logically about what each character should have in their moveset and as long as each character isn't a Sonic Clone or part of the whole "Genre Roulette" formula, it should be fun.

Too bad the game shows the emeralds lighting up without the person having all the red rings. Also the bonus stages will probably act like the new super Mario bros series stages as little hand me outs for players that die too much.

...but that's not how NSMB's levels work. In fact, the bonus levels in Mario ARE handed out by the Star Coins, the 'red rings' of Mario.

And it's already been stated by those who got the game early all the red rings unlock bonus levels that unlock the Chaos Emeralds, a la Sonic Colours - at least, IIRC.

...but that's not how NSMB's levels work. In fact, the bonus levels in Mario ARE handed out by the Star Coins, the 'red rings' of Mario.

And it's already been stated by those who got the game early all the red rings unlock bonus levels that unlock the Chaos Emeralds, a la Sonic Colours - at least, IIRC.

Then that just goes to show Sega is misleading with their trailers perfect example "classic trailer".

Oh guess I didn't notice that, thanks for correcting me. But from the footage we saw it seems to provide animals and rings, getting lives seems to be harder to get in this game. On the topic, as many has stated, yes other characters can be implemented into this gameplay style. But baby steps start with Tails and Knux, see how they work with this style and work it with their past abilities. 

Oh guess I didn't notice that, thanks for correcting me. But from the footage we saw it seems to provide animals and rings, getting lives seems to be harder to get in this game. On the topic, as many has stated, yes other characters can be implemented into this gameplay style. But baby steps start with Tails and Knux, see how they work with this style and work it with their past abilities. 

I do not like playing as other characters though other than sonic and I am glad Sega has been listening to me about this as well. I play sonic games to be sonic as stated in the title not some two tailed fox or spiked first echidna it just degrades the series point when playing as different characters that don't represent the title of the franchise.

Edited by Sonic 1

I do not like playing as other characters though other than sonic and I am glad Sega has been listening to me about this as well. I play sonic games to be sonic as stated in the title not some two tailed fox or spiked first echidna it just degrades the series point when playing as different characters that don't represent the title of the franchise.

You talk about what you want an awfull lot, no offense.

But yeah, that's your opinion against what's good for the series and what everyone else wants, you can't simply say ''I don't like this because its not what I wanted'' and call it a day, the Franchise has evolved to the point where it's been trying a lot of different gameplay styles, so its obvious people will want different stuff from you, try taking that into account instead of considering your opinion the only thing Sonic Team should ever listen. Mindsets like these can ruin a franchise if everyone does the same, I recall this almost happening on Shadow the Hedgehog, where SEGA wanted to give everyone the edgy Sonic game with everyone's favorite character.

But yeah, I disagree, playing with only Sonic gets bored, there's so much blue that my eyes can take while playing his game, if you know what I mean. Variety is what made Sonic 3 & Knuckles a sucess, and what makes a lot of people praise the Adventure series up to this day. While I dont like SA2 very much, I would like to see more characters available to play as, but not like 06 or SA2 did, like Sonic 3 did, all the characters playable aren't a random robot, or a giant fishing cat, they are characters that not only can keep up with Sonic, have similar habilities, but also bring something new to the table.

I do agree that playable characters are not that important in the series but I like to consider it as a nice extra. In Sonic 3&K, playing as Tails and Knuckles gives you access to new parts of the level that you can't reach with Sonic, the joy of finding new areas is definitely golden. But at the end, they are just extras but I don't mind if they are used like they were in 3&K.

I don't get how it degrades the series??? WTF?

Maaaybe I'd get what you mean if it was required to play with them, but how does it degrade the series? More options = better. As people said, it would be nice to be able to play characters that aren't sonic. Not that we hate Sonic, but, you know, variation is nice.

Then why have these characters at all? Why should I be made to watch a cutscene where Eggman is doing his evil plotting? Why should I be forced to watch as Tails comes up with the solutions to defeating Eggman? Why do I sit through the torture of watching a motobug crawling towards me? It's Sonic the hedgehog, not Motobug the fucking robot.

Then why have these characters at all? Why should I be made to watch a cutscene where Eggman is doing his evil plotting? Why should I be forced to watch as Tails comes up with the solutions to defeating Eggman? Why do I sit through the torture of watching a motobug crawling towards me? It's Sonic the hedgehog, not Motobug the fucking robot.

I didn't say Dr Robotnik shouldn't be in as he is the main villain but each sonic game should just have Sonic, Dr robotnik his badnik robots, and the capsule at the end of each boss battle with Dr robotnik which is why sonic got famous in the first place. Adding these other characters don't do any good like  go through rocks and reaching higher places? First of all if you have skill you can reach higher places without flying secondly, the spindash can be used to go through rocks problem solved.

Edited by Sonic 1

Well, Super Mario Bros. is called SUPER MARIO BROS. I guess Toad, Nabbit, Peach, and everyone else that isn't Mario, Luigi, and maybe Wario and Waluigi can go fuck off from the series then because ya'know they don't represent the title of the franchise. Same with Metaknight and the Assist Characters in Kirby. Or everyone that isn't Rayman or a variation of him in the Rayman games.

You see where I am going here? Just because they aren't the main character doesn't mean that they can go disappear and aren't Knuckles and Tails someone of the most recognizable characters in Sonic after the 3 hedgehogs and Eggman?

Edited by Mr. 0

I didn't say Dr Robotnik shouldn't be in as he is the main villain but each sonic game should just have Sonic, Dr robotnik his badnik robots, and the capsule at the end of each boss battle with Dr robotnik which is why sonic got famous in the first place. Adding these other characters don't do any good like  go through rocks and reaching higher places? First of all if you have skill you can reach higher places without flying secondly, the spindash can be used to go through rocks problem solved.

So basically you think a story should have a good guy and a bad guy and nobody else whatsoever

Edited by Blitz 'n Burst

First of all if you have skill you can reach higher places without flying

No, not really...

spindash can be used to go through rocks problem solved.

Problem...not really solved there...

Adding these other characters don't do any good like  go through rocks and reaching higher places? 

Wait...which conversation are we on again?

Let's just be thankful generations didn't make us play with these useless characters in the 20th anniversary and continue to keep using sonic only weather classic or modern. It is Sonic's game and sonic should be the only playable at least sega is smart with that.

Let's just be thankful generations didn't make us play with these useless characters in the 20th anniversary and continue to keep using sonic only weather classic or modern. It is Sonic's game and sonic should be the only playable at least sega is smart with that.

No. I was pissed at it then and I'm pissed at it now

• Thumbs Up 1

Have you heard of the phrase, "Speak for yourself"?

I think Sega should remind us how awesome it was to have a variation of characters. I mean fair enough, if you don't want to play with them, you don't have to.They could make it like Sonic Advance where you get to choose your character and they save the day and such. But don't see we and stuff

They don't have to be useless though. Just having them around for decoration won't solve anything...

Why not make the characters a bit more interesting, and in terms of story, have them NOT be useless?

Edited by Straw Hat

What about those of us who actually like playing as other characters? Don't we get a say in this?

What about those of us who actually like playing as other characters? Don't we get a say in this?

No. If you like multiple playable characters then you are not a true Sonic fan and most certainly do not have any say in the matter.

Edited by Blitz 'n Burst

Because we all totally agree with you. This is a really lame form of trolling. You just keep admitting how you don't like any of Sonic's "shitty friends" and how you only like Sonic.

lolnofaggotyouhavenotastenorareyouatruesonicfan

Edited by Mr. 0

Think what you want of me guys but my thoughts I have about these cast of characters is true. I do not like them. I do not have a problem if you like them but don't be upset if you won't have them playable in future sonic titles because it is not that big of a deal to be quite honest. The idea of Sega using just Sonic is the best way to go no matter which way you put it. It is a smart business decision for the franchise and the public gamers around the world.

Collecting all the red rings should unlock classic sonic then maybe I might buy the console version till then I am sticking with 3ds version because of online play.

I know this is sort of old but...why would a skin improve the game any more? It's the same gameplay, same level design, same story, same voices...with a skin. A skin shouldn't determine your enjoyment of a game.

Think what you want of me guys but my thoughts I have about these cast of characters is true. I do not like them. I do not have a problem if you like them but don't be upset if you won't have them playable in future sonic titles because it is not that big of a deal to be quite honest. The idea of Sega using just Sonic is the best way to go no matter which way you put it. It is a smart business decision for the franchise and the public gamers around the world.

How did Sonic 2 sell so much then? It has Tails in it. What about Heroes, Rush, Advance, or Adventure 2? I guess those games were all flops.

How did Sonic 2 sell so much then? It has Tails in it. What about Heroes, Rush, Advance, or Adventure 2? I guess those games were all flops.

Considering how many times sonic 1 was remade and still sold very well around 15million justifys the fact the vast majority want the classic style gameplay back because the  classic games out sell almost all the modern games combined. Character Design is an example of selling a game why did America have to change Sonics design for the  first game? To appeal to Americans so character design is very important.