Awoo.

Hardest Special Stages in a Sonic game?

Leon K Fox

There's a certain area in the first act of Dead Line that allows you circle around and keep tricking on things for multiple tries at the 7th emerald. For anyone who's still having problems with that. You get five or six tries per playthrough of that stage with this strategy. I dunno if people are just playing the stage once and only getting one shot at the emerald each time?

Edited by Badnikz

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Leon K Fox

• Blacklightning

• Badnik Zero

• Sean

I found Sonic 1's later special stages quite hard and they made me so jumpy ><;;. I find the buttons that rotate the entire stage both irritating and useful. And then there's the challenge of erasing the diamonds around the actual emerald before the stage rotates and shoves you from it.

Sonic 2's special stages were hard simply because the ring requirement is actually larger if you play as Sonic and Tails together and Tails' AI is so poor that he almost never fails to collide with mines. It's a matter of navigating Sonic so Tails imitates Sonic's movements to get out of the mine's range.

Sonic Chaos' later special stages had evil time limits and one of them is a maze of pipes with only one, very well hidden entrance to the room containing the emerald. The green emerald has one of this type of stage but then so does the purple one. The purple one is by far the hardest.

*thinks for a moment* Hmm................Nope, I can't think of any of the special stages that I have a whole lot of trouble with. Sure, the Sonic 2 & S&K Stages gave me a bit of problems when I first tried them, but I've more or less gotten a handle on them & all the ones that I've played...

...of course, I haven't played ALL of them yet, so there may be one out there that would be ultra hard for me...

Knuckles Chaotix's special stage can get pretty tough. It's easy enough to get the blue spheres, but it's the only special stage to have true pitfalls. Sonic 1's special stage has those goal things, but you can usually recover from them. In Chaotix, you hit a pit, you're done.

Advance 1's special stage has a tiny margin for error. You have to get virtually all of the rings in the last few to be successful, and the crappy 3D effect doesn't do you any favors. Plus, you have fewer chances to try it because Advance 1 uses the classic level progression method, there's no hub.

Advance 2's stage seems pretty easy, getting in is where the trouble comes from... Who thought that SP rings were a good idea?

Sonic Rush's special stages were amusingly easy because you could constantly spam pause while holding the stylus (or in my case, the mouse button) down on where you want to go, and Sonic would practically teleport there.

They weren't bad, but I never really liked the Sonic 2-style special stages.

Sonic Rush's special stages were amusingly easy because you could constantly spam pause while holding the stylus
Only if you're left handed. In my experience it's bloody hard to hit the pause button AND use the stylus at the same time if you're a righty, because the start button... just so happens to be on the right side of the screen.. Incidentally it IS the cheapest way to get rid of those stunt QTEs, as my left-handed brother proves.

I'm left handed ♥

Knuckles Chaotix's special stage can get pretty tough. It's easy enough to get the blue spheres, but it's the only special stage to have true pitfalls. Sonic 1's special stage has those goal things, but you can usually recover from them. In Chaotix, you hit a pit, you're done.

Chaotix's special stages were badass. Granted they got pretty tough because I constantly got confused by how far I could really jump in that game, and how far those bumper balls pushed me back.

The wireframe versions can just go to hell though.

Sonic Advance 1: Either the mechanics are broken beyond life, or I just don't know how to play through them.

I'd have to say Sonic 1 and Sonic Advance's special stage are the hardest.

I've only ever gotten 1 emerald in Sonic 1's special stage, I just can't look at it for long as it makes me dizzy. =S

Sonic Advance's special stage is one of the hardest things I've ever played in my life! I don't think I even managed to get a ring, let alone an emerald!

I actually find Sonic 2 and 3's special stage to be pretty easy. I've gotten half the emeralds in Sonic 2 and I've gotten them all in Sonic 3.

Sonic Advance 2, no doubt about it. HOLY CRAP. It gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it! T_T Awful, awful special stages. I hope those never appear again in any shape or form in a future Sonic game. NEVER.

And those stupid SP rings you had to look for in the stages. That was the icing on the cake. B(

I preffered the S3&K ones because, unlike most, you could backtrack to get the blue spheres. Sonic Heroes probably were the most frusterating for me because they handled terribly. I think Sonic 2's are the most difficult without being terribly glitchy.