Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

Silhouettes that are quite clearly completely different from the original characters

Can I just point out that Tails and Amy look exactly like they have been for years?

Heard you the first time, thx

Edited by Dizcrybe

Why the hell not? Just because they were abandoned by the games doesn't mean they can't show up in other stuff!

Because no one involved with Sonic seems to care about them at all, and barely any fans care about them.

Can I just point out that Tails and Amy look exactly like they have been for years?

I don't know about that. Tails looks like he's got different gloves, and I don't think Amy's clothes are anything like her usual dress. Edited by Diogenes

Why do people still act like Pac Man and the Ghostly Adventures is such an abonimation worth comparing this to?

Amy at the very least has about a quarter more legs than she usually does.

Leaving a fanbase because of one major design overhaul is, in honesty, nearly as bad as "bawwww green eyes".

Eyes are eyes. This is an entire design. Different situation. 

Because no one involved with Sonic seems to care about them at all, and barely any fans care about them.

Excuse me? There are thousands of fans who want them to come back. As far as I can tell, the only reason they haven't is because Iizuka doesn't give a damn about them.

That is not to have dignity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoHCmIO0FRk

Oh, and from the 90's, perhaps maybe this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTGMS3jDxV0

buuut people actually like that one for some reason so

hehe

I'm sure that by "true to the Sonic characters and universe," they mean "setting characterization back to Sonic Heroes." If not that, then their personalities will be tailored to match the "Typical Unfunny CGI Action Comedy Ensemble". Sonic will most likely be a stereotypical obnoxious, snarky teenage hero who likes to crack unfunny jokes about Eggman's girth. Tails will be a stereotypical nerdy "techhead" who lives for technology and everything and makes things and wow such mechanics. He also likes to crack unfunny jokes about Eggman's girth.

Knuckles is the "HURR DURR IMMA BEATCHOOO" dumb bruiser type, a good fighter but incredibly stupid, a fact that the show points out constantly for the sake of unfunny jokes. And Amy...will probably be about the same. Maybe just Flanderized more.

Either way, I'm kind of expecting Pac-Man Ghostly Adventures, but with Sonic.

Am...am I being too negative right now?

I never said you can't have an opinion, but rather than opinion does have much substance to be called outright terrible.

I don't...understand. This is seriously the foundation of character design. This right here is the moment were you lock in your character's purpose and personality through their shape. An over-exaggerated bruiser character at this stage is more than likely to look top-heavy to some degree. However, if the character was never meant to look top-heavy by way of, well, not actually being top heavy, then such a silhouette can look jarring and inappropriate for said character. How is this a weak criticism? Adding detail on top of this is not magically going to change the silhouette. You don't have to see every single fine detail to have a worthy opinion on a character design at this stage.

• Thumbs Up 7

Man, even just based on the silhouettes these designs don't look bad (to me, anyway), let alone worse than the stuff in that fan film. :/

edit: I'm specifically responding to Eddie's comment btw, not the people who are criticising the designs here. I completely understand not liking them, but eh.

Edited by ElementofChaos
  • Thumbs Up 2

Why do people still act like Pac Man and the Ghostly Adventures is such an abonimation worth comparing this to?

Because it basically shows just how spectacularly low the standards are for "CGI action comedies" based on video games, and it would be so, so easy to turn Sonic into something like that.

• Thumbs Up 3

Excuse me? There are thousands of fans who want them to come back. As far as I can tell, the only reason they haven't is because Iizuka doesn't give a damn about them.

"Thousands of fans" isn't even enough to justify the expense a target render for the characters when the show's demo wouldn't even have been born for several years to play the last games anyone ever saw them in.

Because it basically shows just how spectacularly low the standards are for "CGI action comedies" based on video games, and it would be so, so easy to turn Sonic into something like that.

There are far more offensive things on children's television than Pac Man and the Ghostly Adventures. There were far more offensive Sonic things on children's television than Pac Man and the Ghostly Adventures. Let's worry about this getting above "The Chris Show Starring Chris" and "Jaleel White in Drag" before we point fingers outside the franchise.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just hope it is an illusion! Try looking at your own shadow and make it look weird. It might be new character. It could be Tikal?

That doesn't dismiss the non-silhouetted scenery boasting a repulsive color scheme and a bit too much photorealism for its own good.

You know... I hope there not really Sonic and Knuckles but like some other...people @_@ -shrugs- But im sure thats them. Regardless I hope this kind of looks like Night of the Werehog mini film. That was so beautifully done....

• Thumbs Up 2

Even if the abandoned characters did come back, I hope you realize they'll probably be treated as brand new characters anyway, a la Team Chaotix in Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hahaha. Don't recall saying that it didn't, but okay.

And I don't recall actually accusing you of saying that. The point of my statement was that a change in design was unnecessary to get across the idea that this show is a comedy, because Sonic has already been firmly at home within comedy settings with their normal designs. They're textbook noodle characters, after all.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know... I hope there not really Sonic and Knuckles but like some other...people @_@ -shrugs- But im sure thats them. Regardless I hope this kind of looks like Night of the Werehog mini film. That was so beautifully done....

Yeah, see, I would kill to have a Sonic TV show with that sort of look.  Something that has a sort of Pixar vibe but also stands out well on its own, and has a bright, beautiful color scheme with a perfect balance of cartoony and realistic.  As opposed to what we're currently being shown which seems to be dull and leans a bit too far on the realistic side while trying to incorporate unrealistic elements such as loops.

Edited by Akito

The money alone used to get near movie-levels of rendering and detail from an 11-minute short cannot possibly be justified for 26 hours of footage. At this point, it's financially unfeasible. After all, DreamWorks tried it with Father of the Pride.

I don't know about that. Tails looks like he's got different gloves, and I don't think Amy's clothes are anything like her usual dress.

Different gloves, different dress. So what? I really don't see the reasoning in working oneself up over relatively small changes like that, especially when he have quarterback Knuckles to worry about.

Besides, Amy might benefit from a new wardrobe. Maybe she'll have pants under her skirt.

Also, there is no way SEGA will use those designs in the next Sonic game.

Edited by Dizcrybe

Leaving a fanbase because of one major design overhaul is, in honesty, nearly as bad as "bawwww green eyes".

Remember when the Spyro series was relevant?

• Thumbs Up 9

Why the blank do you people keep calling it shillouhoute whatever that spelling is than? I never heard or used this word before of course I am not going to be able to spell it. I am way lazy to find word and place it here. What is the difference between shadow and shillouhute than?

Pffff I was really excited for this...until I saw those silhouettes. Now I'm afraid, very afraid.

I mean WTF happened to Knuckles?! The other guys look practically on model compared to him! I hope the actual designs don't look too bad but, well, we'll just have to wait and see.

I also hope this doesn't turn out anything like that awful Donkey Kong Country cartoon. Those designs were so inaccurate to the actual game, plus the animation is Uncanny Valley material. As mentioned before, something like the TMNT on Nick would be good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why the blank do you people keep calling it shillouhoute whatever that spelling is than? I never heard or used this word before of course I am not going to be able to spell it. I am way lazy to find word and place it here. What is the difference between shadow and shillouhute than?

A silhouette is simply an entirely black form of a design seen in art, eg:

429px-WALDST3.jpg

A shadow is cast onto the ground in real life.

shadow.jpg

I never heard or used this word before of course I am not going to be able to spell it

People have been spelling it through the entire topic

I don't think it should be that much of a problem...

• Thumbs Up 4