Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

Nepenthe, don't take that one thing out of context - the boxing gloves are just as relevant as the spikes.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well, yes, but because of that most assume none of the Sonic anthros have toes, even when it isn't confirmed. However, every anthro other than Knuckles definitely has fingers, unless I'm forgetting someone.

Sonic is shown to not have toes when he transforms into Darkspine Sonic, and Amy and Cream are both shown to not have toes in Sonic X (which has extremely faithful character designs).  Pretty sure it's a house rule for official Sonic designs hailing from Japan.

I always assumed Knuckles had fingers and wore boxing gloves as his preferred method of combat.

Well, we've established that Knuckles has fingers.

But one of his defining traits was his spiked boxing gloves.

His gloves are still spiked. I don't see what the problem is.

And it looks like Tornado and Nepenthe beat me to the punch (no pun intended).

Edited by ElectroKyurem

You would think then that Sonic characters have toes under those shoes. Just because we never saw them didn't mean they didn't exist after all.

Then Tikal and Big came along.

The difference between this and the Knuckles situation is, as far as I know, we've never seen Knuckles take off his gloves at any point in the series.

Nepenthe, don't take that one thing out of context - the boxing gloves are just as relevant as the spikes.

I didn't meant to. I genuinely thought you were talking about the spikes.

My mistake; sheesh.

Wait, are people actually defending that abomination of Knuckles redesign?

OK, sometimes I get the feeling some people don't really know what makes a series a series and what makes fans like certain characters.

I don't...understand. This is seriously the foundation of character design. This right here is the moment were you lock in your character's purpose and personality through their shape. An over-exaggerated bruiser character at this stage is more than likely to look top-heavy to some degree. However, if the character was never meant to look top-heavy by way of, well, not actually being top heavy, then such a silhouette can look jarring and inappropriate for said character. How is this a weak criticism? Adding detail on top of this is not magically going to change the silhouette. You don't have to see every single fine detail to have a worthy opinion on a character design at this stage.

I call it weak criticism because this isn't what everyone was criticizing, but rather criticizing it on the basis of looking different alone; going by your details, then yes I can understand some people not being too keen on the design. But on the design itself, it is pretty obvious that Sega have morphed Knuckles into the over-exaggerated bruiser character and more than likely wanted his design to reflect that part of his personality. Do I like this change? Not really. And it doe not warm my feelings towards what they are doing with the character either, but with the focus on comedy and on the details you provided, then its not exactly an unjustified change. Completely arbitrary, random, and unneeded? Sure

The difference between this and the Knuckles situation is, as far as I know, we've never seen Knuckles take off his gloves at any point in the series.

It's starting to feel like the situation with the new Looney Toons where Bugs lost his gloves and decided he had lost himself, becoming a badass instead.

The point of my post was that we can't really make assumptions either way about the unseen anatomy of the characters.

"Dear Knuckles,

How do you type with boxing gloves on? 

Sincerely, The Sonic Community."

Separate finger bones don't necessarily prove separate fingers.

You are picking at straws now!

• Thumbs Up 1

Why, though? He's already got freaky mutant hands what with the knuckles, why assume everything else is the same?

Here's a better question: Why does everyone assume he doesn't, to the point that the mere idea that he might be implied to is enough to cause rage and downright hilarious attempts to dodge evidence like this: 

Separate finger bones don't necessarily prove separate fingers.

• Thumbs Up 8

Totally with Indy one this one. Knuckles is a fighter. The boxing gloves represented that. The muscular physique implies sporty.

OK, sometimes I get the feeling some people don't really know what makes a series a series and what makes fans like certain characters.

People are allowed to have different opinions on the franchise.

Also I'm going to wait until we see the whole design.

Or they just have different...I'm not sure how to put this. Different standards, maybe?? I'm a fan of Knuckles and I can't say the silhouette offends me at all. That being said, I wouldn't want that design in the games, but hey, I like it when different continuities in franchises change things up a bit, as long as that change is good in my eyes.

• Thumbs Up 1

To those saying Sonic X's only influence on the games was the English cast, I'm going to have to remind you that Knuckles' anger management issues also originated in that show.

Design-wise, though, not much was adopted from Sonic X outside of the characters' eyelid colours.

I'm at the same time glad to see Sonic back on TV, but afraid that these new character designs spread into the games.  I just hope the current game designs have become far too iconic for them to change.

On the topic of the whole "SEGA better not put these designs in the games..."

Well, if this show's out in Fall 2014, and Smash Brothers (with Sonic's current design) is out at some point in 2014 (I'd guess Q3 myself, though who knows)...

...OK yeah I think I'm looking too deep into this. SEGA are stupid on occasion, but I don't think they'd alienate a fanbase that's been around for 20+ years for the sake of instating designs geared towards 6 year olds into the games. 

At least, I hope they're not that stupid. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Tikal and Shade don't have big spiky knuckles.

Those are part of his gloves, not his hands.

I honestly don't care one way or the other if Knuckles actually has fingers or not, but I do prefer him to have his "boxing gloves" on.  That's just what I associate with Knuckles as a character.  But then, I also associate him with not being super-huge by comparison to everyone else, so I guess all my expectations are thrown out the window.

Really, though, I'm less worried about Knuckles' gloves than I am the possibility that they might potentially use fuzzy character textures as in the Sonic fan film and the beta models of some of the games.  Now, chances are they wouldn't do that.  But I still can't help but worry that Sega might do something unexpectedly dumb like that. =V

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 1

I call it weak criticism because this isn't what everyone was criticizing, but rather criticizing it on the basis of looking different alone; going by your details, then yes I can understand some people not being too keen on the design. But on the design itself, it is pretty obvious that Sega have morphed Knuckles into the over-exaggerated bruiser character and more than likely wanted his design to reflect that part of his personality. Do I like this change? Not really. And it doe not warm my feelings towards what they are doing with the character either, but with the focus on comedy and on the details you provided, then its not exactly an unjustified change. Completely arbitrary, random, and unneeded? Sure

I don't understand why people aren't allowed to dislike a design on first glance because it is different to the point of disavowing the original shape and some of trademarks of the original design, though.

And it is quite unjustified, because no one who likes it has really put forth a convincing argument on why these changes were needed to hammer point the home that this is a comedy series when the current designs exist just as well within a comedic context. Fair enough if you like Knuckles' new looks, but I don't see the agency in having to change him up to this degree. My animator's intuition though is that such a huge change is going to be reflected in his personality, as is Tails' wrench being so visible directly linked to his affinity with machines. And when I go that route, I don't get good feelings for ol' Red.

• Thumbs Up 5

You are picking at straws now!

Not really. The sprite also has distinct toe bones, but we know Sonic characters don't have separate toes.

Those are part of his gloves, not his hands.

So Tails has tails, Big is big, and Silver is silver, but Knuckles does not, in fact, have knuckles. Sorry, I don't buy it. Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah, you can't really justify these redesigns as necessary. They probably just...felt like redesigning them, that's really all there is to it. Unless that reboot/"new direction" rumour is true, which I doubt.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't get it...Archie is pretty much under absolute fucking insane scrutiny these days when it comes to character designs, even being forced to change the SatAM characters to look more fitting among the SEGA cast...and then this goes and turns Knuckles into some giant monster.

• Thumbs Up 8