Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

Haha the wrench in the silhouettes annoys me too.

Yes Sega we get it Tails is a mechanical genius that's all he jerks off to 24/7. Nevermind that flight is, or was, just as important of an attribute to him as speed is to Sonic.

But it's a silhouette, and so a wrench would be a easier way to establish what his character is about right form the get go, it's always been his thing and it's always been the most influential part of his character.

aw was
  • Eddie LeBron is a hypocrite

what

You're saying that giving Knuckles fingers is just as bad as giving him fingers and then putting him on steroids

Despite the fact that it's literally taking the issue and amplifying it tenfold

That's like saying a burglar who thinks murderers and rapists are scum is clearly a hypocrite because he also commits crimes, despite the fact that they're of a completely different magnitude

For some reason I'm imagining Tails using the wrench the same way Wave does in Sonic Riders. That is, as a weapon. I'd be up for it. :V

BUT FOR THE SAKE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND RIGHT IN THE UNIVERSE LET HIM FLY.

I wonder if this is what Classic Fans felt like when the Dreamcase era rolled around.

It honestly shouldn't have been, since their designs remained mostly the same. Literally all that changed for most of the characters was eye color, a bit more diverse torso shapes, and slightly longer limbs. Amy and Eggman were the only major changes, and even then, it wasn't surprising for the human character and the only animal character with clothes to have a different wardrobe.

This turns the character designs to be much bulkier and blockier in shape, changes Sonic's spikes to no longer be their iconic solid shape, and potentially gives them all clothing. This is a pretty major redesign in comparison.

Someone... please. Tell me, what part of this.

Influenced the main series?

If we're going to use obscure cartoons no one liked as a basis of influence on the games, we might as well discuss that stupid as fuck Legend of Zelda cartoon and how it influenced the Zelda series.

The others however

SatAM - Love of chillidogs (Seriously if you hadn't seen the cartoons before that would have come out of left field)

Sonic X - Knucles being a dumbass, Tails being NOTHING beyond a mechanic, Shadow turning into fucking Kenpachi Zaraki, and probably more.

AoSTH was mindless bullshit that had nothing to do with anything which is probably why it had no influence, I'm going to guess the case will be the same here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Haha the wrench in the silhouettes annoys me too.

Yes Sega we get it Tails is a mechanical genius that's all he jerks off to 24/7. Nevermind that flight is, or was, just as important of an attribute to him as speed is to Sonic.

Tails_chronicles.png

Horrible memories of Chronicles' near-complete fucking-up of the characters is coming back to me ¬_¬;;

• Thumbs Up 2

AoSTH was mindless bullshit that had nothing to do with anything which is probably why it had no influence, I'm going to guess the case will be the same here.

AoStH was pretty heavy on the chili dogs. 

what

You're saying that giving Knuckles fingers is just as bad as giving him fingers and then putting him on steroids

Despite the fact that it's literally taking the issue and amplifying it tenfold

That's like saying a burglar who thinks murderers and rapists are scum is clearly a hypocrite because he also commits crimes, despite the fact that they're of a completely different magnitude

I think it's fucking hilariously ironic that him of all people is criticizing this shit when his ass-numbingly stupid designs were far worse.

It's like David Letterman writing a book on how to be funny.

And did you not realize I was summing up what I read through the thread so far, and not what I think?

AoStH was pretty heavy on the chili dogs. 

Both cartoons were, but beyond that nothing changed.

Edited by Dino2d.dll

Someone... please. Tell me, what part of this.

Influenced the main series?

In fact what part of any cartoon show has ever influenced the series?

No one ever said Sonic Underground specifically influenced the series. That would be a tall order to argue in the first place, since Sonic Team had pretty much rebooted the entire franchise that very year anyway.

They've just had a huge voice actor change! And lets not forget the very sad news that was Dean Bristow passed away and had to be replaced by Mike who also had to audition along with the 4kids guys.

And anyway, we've already been told that most of the cast are voicing their characters, suspicions are Mike has his role given his facebook page right now, you honeslty think Roger won't be Sonic?

I would place bets on Sonic, Knuckles, Tails, Amy, Robotnik having their official voice actors, anyone else is likely to be subbed just purely because it's more cost effective for what are 11 min 1 shots.

No one ever said that they would change the voice actors. Just that it was an example of the TV shows having a major effect on the series itself. And the voice actor change in 2004 was a solution that Sega took to Deem Bristow's death, but his death wasn't the cause of it.

And did it do anything other than make us go. "Oh look darling! Shadow has a new power!"

So now it's gone from "what part of any cartoon show has ever influenced the series" to "Well, okay, but that one doesn't count."

And pretty much everything Knuckles does now in the games comes from his character as established in Sonic X.

What exactly are people afraid of?

That the success of this show, with these obviously different designs, combined with Sega's (real or percieved) push to consolidate the brand over the past few years and met out things that go against the games and the rumblings (real or percieved) over the past few years of a franchise being up for a major change in style will culminate with this TV show leading the charge of a series reboot.

It's a far-fetched worry based on what we know at this point, to be sure, but it's not completely unfounded.

The only thing to really be aghast about is Ogre Knuckles, and even then, you really think SOJ will use that design?

I think SoJ keeps SoA on a lot tighter leash today than they did in 1993 or 1998.

Which happened mainly thanks to SOA's localisation of the original game, not due to a TV show.

It happened entirely because of AoStH and SatAM. SoA's localization of the original game made no mention of chili dogs.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's fucking hilariously ironic that him of all people is criticizing this shit when his ass-numbingly stupid designs were far worse.

Fingers the Echidna is worse than Fingers The Echidna on fucking steroids?

Okay then

Edited by Blitz 'n Burst
  • Thumbs Up 4

This argument only works in retrospect. You're implying that the same design principles used to make that skeleton in 1994 are somehow 100% related to the redesigns the whole cast got in 1998 for Sonic Adventure.

If the electrocution sprite proves Knuckles had individual fingers in 1993, then it also proves that he had individual toes in 1993. As of the SA redesigns, the characters have fused toes. Thus we can no longer trust the physical structure of 1993 characters to match the physical structure of modern characters, and thus that sprite isn't proof that Knuckles has individual fingers today.

Not for the purposes of this discussion it isn't.

For the part of the discussion that is about interpreting Knuckles' design outside of this cartoon, it is. For the part about Sonic Boom Knuckles having fingers being factually wrong...that wasn't what I was arguing about. I just think him having visible fingers looks weird and is counter to his depictions in pretty much everything else, regardless of how many fingers he actually has in any work.

LeBron's Knuckles design looked exactly like normal Knuckles with the exception of the gloves.

That is a vast improvement over this one, and we haven't even seen it in detail. Ergo, he gets the right to talk shit.

• Thumbs Up 5

AoSTH was mindless bullshit that had nothing to do with anything which is probably why it had no influence,

It did have influence, though.  In fact, the same influence as SatAM.  AoSTH Sonic and SatAM Sonic were pretty much the same hedgehog, just in completely different environments.  Meaning, the love of chilidogs, general personality, etc. were an influence from both shows.

Being unable to produce anything better yourself does not make you a hypocrite or any less entiteld to an opinion.  I can't make a film even close to the level of production value of his, but that doesn't mean I don't have the right to point out how awful it is.  Similarly, his character models may have been stomach-churningly awful, but that doesn't mean he's not entitled to criticize something else that's clearly also terrible.

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 1

LeBron's Knuckles design looked exactly like normal Knuckles with the exception of the gloves.

That is a vast improvement over this one, and we haven't even seen it in detail. Ergo, he gets the right to talk shit.

Plus, he pretty obviously recognized the irony of him saying something since he directly commented on it in the tweet.

• Thumbs Up 5

Sonic X - Knucles being a dumbass, Tails being NOTHING beyond a mechanic, Shadow turning into fucking Kenpachi Zaraki, and probably more.

All of this couldn't be as far from the truth as possible.

Sonic X kept Knuckle's character the same, a hot headed arrogant son of a bitch who'd rather bash a few heads together than think logically about a situation, he was far from a stupid idiot though.

Tail's was a hell of a pilot and still helped out on adventures both on foot and flying using his twin tails, Tail's was never meant to be a hardcore fighter, he uses his brain and knowledge on tech/gadgets to help Sonic out.

What the hell is a Kenpachi Zaraki? I'm willing to say that Shadow's representation in any media is never completely accurate since SEGA have never known what to do with Shadow after SA2 despite his popularity, he's still trying to find footing in the series where he's not a complete and utter tool...

• Thumbs Up 1

Who said I was refering to knuckles?

Are you going to tell me Sonic's silouette in that picture is worse than this shit?

249898_3666103511578_527701971_n.jpg

What the hell is a Kenpachi Zaraki? I'm willing to say that Shadow's representation in any media is never completely accurate since SEGA have never known what to do with Shadow after SA2 despite his popularity, he's still trying to find footing in the series where he's not a complete and utter tool...

Punk rock hair idiot from Bleach. He has this stupid eyepatch thing that supresses his badassness just like the stupid ring things.

Considering he might be wearing clothes, maybe? I mean they do both have the uneven 'realistic' spike thing going on, as well as the box-shaped chest.. and the big forearms...

Holy shit its the same design. :V

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay I'm gonna voice my thoughts on this "Redesign" thing. Not debunking or confirming anything, just my opinion.

If Sega wanted to redesign the cast, the time to do that was SONIC LOST WORLD. It's the first of a new console generation. Don't give me that "Oh, but the Wii U isn't a proper next gen console!" Shitck. Takashi Iizuka basically stated he wanted to take Sonic in a new direction after Sonic Generations, and it was probably the best time to do it. Redesign the characters to go along with a new system and a new control scheme. You don't reveal consistent new designs for the series for a TV show.

Gonna ditto the Archie comics thing. If Sega's all "consistent brand image!" to Archie, and then let the TV show do whatever the heck they like, then something's gone wrong there.

And now, to the echidna's everybody's talking about, Knuckles.
Now, I'd like Knuckles to be a little more muscular. Back in the 90s, when Knuckles launched, he and Sonic actually had different body shapes, which we kinda lost when we went to the adventure style. Originally, Sonic had a pot belly and Knuckles had a wider chest. Check these images if you don't believe me:

640px-800px-Classic_sonic_orthographic.s
CS_K_01.png

Whilst I'd like Knux to be brawnier than Sonic, I don't want it be a bleeding obvious as the preview image. Good god man, he looks like the HULK! I'd rather have him in-between Sonic and Vector's shape. I'm also missing the boxing gloves, as they emphasized his main weapons - his fists - and helped him stand out from the rest of the cast.

And It looks like I'm about 30 posts behind. Great...

• Thumbs Up 2

Are you going to tell me Sonic's silouette in that picture is worse than this shit?

[image]

Fair enough, but we honestly can't compare the two yet when we haven't seen the textures yet.

Because that's who LeBron was specifically referring to. Subsequently, it's who everyone's been referring to on this particular tangent. We're not talking about Sonic, we're talking about Knuckles.

Also: See Akito's post on the ability to have an opinion transcending one's talent in the thing they're talking about.

249898_3666103511578_527701971_n.jpg

Punk rock hair idiot from Bleach. He has this stupid eyepatch thing that supresses his badassness just like the stupid ring things.

You think giving Sonic fur is comparable to making Knuckles look like a bodybuilder

Are you fucking serious

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm all for change and everything, but those character designs? Ewww.

God, I hope they didn't hit Eggman with the ugly stick.

Really? It was my impression we were talking about Eddie.

Anyways, I was summing up what I read the past few pages in that first post. I don't know how that managed to devolve into this.