Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

If Amy is really wearing pants then I welcome thi change, especially if it means the end of panty shots.

Wha-

That's a bad thing!

• Thumbs Up 1

The main thing I'm worried about is that these redesigns are going to be their new designs in the games. If it's not then it doesn't bother me that much as long as it's stays separate and Sonic and his friends stays the way they are now. Also I'm happy that they're keeping the voice cast from the games instead of the other way around...

Well as of right now. Sonic, Eggman, Amy and Tails are still the same in Lost World, its only Knuckles that is left to see. and I'm not including Knuckles appearance in Mario and Sonic since its a spin-off

Wha-

That's a bad thing!

she's thirteen, dude

i think we can all do without that

It says in the press report this is a comedy. The second sentence, no less. xP
And that's what I get for not reading silly me

Well as of right now. Sonic, Eggman, Amy and Tails are still the same in Lost World, its only Knuckles that is left to see. and I'm not including Knuckles appearance in Mario and Sonic since its a spin-off

Well I think it don't make sense that they'll only redesign Knuckles and keep everybody the same.

she's thirteen, dude

Worse. Twelve.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Regular Show/Adventure Time/Gumball Trifecta of Awesome alone begs to differ. CN's become a great channel again.

I honestly hope it doesn't come out like any of those shows.  Don't get me wrong, I can see the appeal of them; I just can't get into them. =v - But that being said, I don't think it being on Cartoon Network will change its overall quality too much.  CN is slowly starting to show a bit more diversity, with some of their older shows being placed alongside their newer shows in the weekday timeslots.  If it were on Nickelodeon, on the other hand... I don't think I could say the same thing.  Okay, the new Ninja Turtles series isn't horrible as a show, but as a Turtles show, I just can't get into it.  Though to be fair, I can't get into the comics that came before it, either, so being a fan of only one aspect of that franchise probably doesn't make my opinion very valid. @3@

Amy wearing pants just seems more like a lets not stereotype the girl and make her all girly girl or we will be picked on by femenist people. But you never know here.

Really now?

she's thirteen, dude

twelve*

Edited by Akito

Just because Knuckle's made an honest mistake doesn't fucking mean it that being gullible/stupid should be his only exploit as a character, so he naturally became bad comic relief every game after gradually becoming the useless prop he is today.

I'm aware of that. My point is that it was Sonic X that started that trend. He wasn't like that in Heroes, even though the entire thing was an idiot plot and it did kinda ruin his motivations in favor of the Power Trio. He wasn't like that in Adventure 2, even though the love subplot was painful when it tried for humor. And he certainly wasn't like that in Adventure, where he was arguably more important than Sonic was to the story.

Wha-

That's a bad thing!

sobchak.png

They never fail to disappoint, do they?

Haha wow the apologists are already out in force I see, these are the same people who made a spin off to xiaolin showdown, expect no redeeming factors.

Remember when Phos used to back up his arguments with reasoning and explanations rather than just throwing around labels and dismissing everyone out of hand?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

• Thumbs Up 5

CN= I'm going to wait on this, some of the ;icensed stuff is good, but all their own shows stink

Wh...wh...what? But what about Regu-

those are prime examples of why its nasty and crude

....but it was always-

(kinda think it might have been better on DisneyXD)

better on DisneyXD)

DisneyXD)

maxresdefault.jpg

ultimate-spider-man-toast.jpg

cannotevenplz_animation_by_barukurii-d5f

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly hope it doesn't come out like any of those shows.  Don't get me wrong, I can see the appeal of them; I just can't get into them. =v - But that being said, I don't think it being on Cartoon Network will change its overall quality too much.  CN is slowly starting to show a bit more diversity, with some of their older shows being placed alongside their newer shows in the weekday timeslots.  If it were on Nickelodeon, on the other hand... I don't think I could say the same thing.  Okay, the new Ninja Turtles series isn't horrible as a show, but as a Turtles show, I just can't get into it.  Though to be fair, I can't get into the comics that came before it, either, so being a fan of only one aspect of that franchise probably doesn't make my opinion very valid. @3@

I wasn't able to get into Adventure Time for the longest- mainly because I was approaching it like a straight-laced comedy instead of the trippy romp through a solidly-developed, euphemism-laden universe that it really is- but even then, I figured it was still a good show in its own right, as are the other two I named.

I agree that CN's also becoming more diverse, calling back to the CartoonCartoon days where I could watch old Looney Tunes alongside the "new" stuff at the time, and now even the own CartoonCartoons have a block back  anyway. The actual look of the channel is much more inviting and unique too. I can't be the only one impressed with the artistry of their new bumbers, for example. In general, I just feel it's come a long way from the depths of its dark ages that is worth commending, and that it gets a lot of flack for not being exactly like the CN of the 90s. Nick is another story, although I do enjoy the new TMNT when I can catch it. They also have Korra as well. But everything else seems to be driven into the ground at this point, and on top of it is surrounded by tween shlock.

Ultimately though, I feel like CN's the best current place for a new Sonic show, even though the block itself will have little bearing on how it ultimately turns out.

Well I think it don't make sense that they'll only redesign Knuckles and keep everybody the same.

Which is why I don't think they're going to go through with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm afraid this show is gonna be a mixture of Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures and Teen Titans Go, somewhere around there.  The former of those is a very bland video game adaptation show that doesn't do nearly anything interesting, and the latter is a bastardization of something that once could be taken seriously enough to enjoy.

I also just can't get my mind around why Sonic and co (besides Amy) would need clothing (if they really are wearing any). I mean, Knuckles with a hat? Sure. Tails with a pilot cap? Absolutely. But why do they need to wear vests or jackets in the first place? To look better alongside Amy? Because if thats the case then.. well, thats dumb. 

Unless this is literally "Sonic High School" or something and they're wearing uniform clothing. And if thats the case then I'll be laughing my way out the door. :v

• Thumbs Up 1

This topic needs to lighten up, so I give you this:   sonicboom_zps06757711.png
Lmao Tails is all like what the hell did they do to you guys XD
  • Thumbs Up 2

I also just can't get my mind around why Sonic and co (besides Amy) would need clothing (if they really are wearing any). I mean, Knuckles with a hat? Sure. Tails with a pilot cap? Absolutely. But why do they need to wear vests or jackets in the first place? To look better alongside Amy? Because if thats the case then.. well, thats dumb. 

And I could never get my head around the fact that the female anthros need to wear clothes but the males don't. Granted Sonic didn't start the trend, but it seems kinda silly to me.

Even ignoring that, I don't see why a jacket is too much but hats aren't? If they're full on wearing shirts and (god forbid!) pants, MAYBE I'd understand, but it looks to be...just a jacket or a vest. Alrighty then.

And then it turns out to be a very awesome show except for Knuckles since he only wants to lift weights all the time and ends all his sentences with the word "bro."

Unless this is literally "Sonic High School" or something and they're wearing uniform clothing. And if thats the case then I'll be laughing my way out the door. :v

...The fact that that is even a possibility makes me want to commit some sort of heinous crime that will probably get me thrown in jail.

I'm going to assume by the landscape that that is not the case.

I'm aware of that. My point is that it was Sonic X that started that trend. He wasn't like that in Heroes, even though the entire thing was an idiot plot and it did kinda ruin his motivations. He wasn't like that in Adventure 2, even though the love subplot was painful when it tried for humor. And he certainly wasn't like that in Adventure, where he was arguably more important than Sonic was to the story.

Funny, because Knuckles was stupid enough to fall for the whole "Give back the master emerald shards Sonic!" when he was clearly holding Chaos Emeralds, he still had arguably stupid dialogue that made him out to be an idiot.

Heroes is a bit of a stalemate case since it's a story you shouldn't take seriously to begin with, so the entire premise was stupid and cheesy. And SA2 still had it's moments of Knuckles gradually losing his character to becoming a lackey that was the pushover, not much but it starts becoming noticeable. Then ShadowTH is where it all spiralled out of control into the mess that he is today.

...The fact that that is even a possibility makes me want to commit some sort of heinous crime that will probably get me thrown in jail.

I'm going to assume by the landscape that that is not the case.

maybe it's just a school made of rocks

on the beach

run by four people

Well this is what I'm seeing Sonic's silhouette to be

w0ndhy.pngrwl46s.png

The area where his brow is doesn't look like a brow, it looks like a strap. Amy looks like she may be wearing some kind of suit too. If Sonic has been turned into some kind of pilot/racer, it might explain why his quills look a bit messy because sensically they'd always be getting buffeted by wind....but then he's always been a runner...

I don't think we have to worry about it being a high school AU. I mean:

The series centers on Sonic, his best friend and sidekick, Tails, their never-ending search for adventure, and their battles with Sonic’s arch-nemesis, Dr. Eggman.

Doesn't sound like they'd even have time for high school, anyway. :V I wonder if Sonic and Tails are gonna be in a similar situation as in AOSTH, not really living anywhere specific? 

I REALLY don't know what to make of this cartoon based on what we know, but I'm certainly interested at the moment. I just hope the designs appeal to me when they're fully revealed and that the writing is decent.

Edited by ElementofChaos

You know, I'm all for adding a "fresh" look for characters every once a while as long as that look fits overall with the theme of the product. For example, I'll use some recent (and not so recent examples) of cartoons that have done this in the past. I'll start with some of the ones people have been mentioning in this thread:

First one, Teen Titans Go: When Teen Titans Go was announced as a series, people threw a fit over it, because A. Certain shows were canceled and B. People didn't like the more "wacky" design for the characters.

3005488-teen-titans_510x317.jpg

TeenTitansTogether.png

But even though Teen Titans Go has a different art style, it still respects the designs of its parent series by still having Cyborg being the big one, Beast Boy being the short one, their uniforms etc etc. The new designs fit perfectly with what the theme of the show is, comedy.

Another series people have been mentioning is the new CG TMNT show:

tmnt_header.jpg

I really don't know why people are using this as an example where there might be dramatic changes because well, they are still the same Turtles just in a different art style. It's not like Raphael is super buff and Donatello wears glasses while Shredder is a 2013 evil politician causing government shutdowns. Whoever that did the redesigns also respected the parent source and while they did change things, it wasn't as drastic as say, making Knuckles a foot taller than the rest of the characters.

And last, my favorite example: The new Mickey Mouse shorts:

croissantdetriomphe4-580x321.jpg

My God, the old Disney cast has never gotten such a fresh look while still attaining their classic charm. I think this is the perfect way to redesign characters. It's not by adding a shit load of new stuff and changing characters sizes etc etc. It all depends on the artist style and charm. Heck, let's look at Sonic's redesign back in the late 90s:

CollectionItem_043.png

Even though the "modern" looks did change stuff here and there, they didn't clash with what was before them. And looking at Uekawa's "classic/modern" Sonic, he still has that charm and attitude from Ohshima's Sonic while having that "edginess" from the adventure style. But it works because of Uekawa's art style.

Even though they are silhouettes, I can already kind of tell that whoever was in charge had the classic idea of "hey let's add clothes and emphasize their archetypes!"

Which is not a bad thing, but like someone on this thread said, it's been done to death. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

For example, let's take Knuckles. Instead of making him more taller and buffer, why not make him more "wild" looking? Make his dreadlocks be less straight or add a little bit of fangs and "lone wolf" eyes like the original creator had in mind.

Though again, we don't know what the cartoon is going to be like. For all we know, by the end of next year we might be complaining on why the games are not more like the cartoon (stranger things have happened.)

• Thumbs Up 6

Isn't it a bit early to announce this? I guess maybe they need time to get merch on board etc. But this is a year away is it not? Fall 2014?

It does seem odd that considering Sega has been reeling in Archie on their changes and have been talking about making the Sonic brand more consistent across all its media that they would allow this. Just from the shadows alone you can tell its a departure from the games in design.

What if..what if the third game in the Nintendo deal is a 3DS game based on this version of Sonic? If Izuka's redesign wasn't just referring to Sonic Lost Worlds new gameplay design...what if they do plan to redesign the characters after the currently announced games providing the show is popular?

Edited by Tenko