Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

Isn't it a bit early to announce this? I guess maybe they need time to get merch on board etc. But this is a year away is it not? Fall 2014? What if..what if the third game in the Nintendo deal is a 3DS game based on this version of Sonic?

No, no, just no. I will not support a 3DS game based on this. NO

I wasn't able to get into Adventure Time for the longest- mainly because I was approaching it like a straight-laced comedy instead of the trippy romp through a solidly-developed, euphemism-laden universe that it really is- but even then, I figured it was still a good show in its own right, as are the other two I named.

I agree that CN's also becoming more diverse, calling back to the CartoonCartoon days where I could watch old Looney Tunes alongside the "new" stuff at the time, and now even the own CartoonCartoons have a block back  anyway. The actual look of the channel is much more inviting and unique too. I can't be the only one impressed with the artistry of their new bumbers, for example. In general, I just feel it's come a long way from the depths of its dark ages that is worth commending, and that it gets a lot of flack for not being exactly like the CN of the 90s. Nick is another story, although I do enjoy the new TMNT when I can catch it. They also have Korra as well. But everything else seems to be driven into the ground at this point, and on top of it is surrounded by tween shlock.

Ultimately though, I feel like CN's the best current place for a new Sonic show, even though the block itself will have little bearing on how it ultimately turns out.

Well, yeah, if it's going to be on any station, I'm glad it's on Cartoon Network.  That gives it the most wide coverage and is one of the only channels I even know how to find anymore.  I just don't want it to take influence from its other shows.  Otherwise, it seems like it would become a CGI remake of AoSTH or something.  I know it's supposed to be a "comedy" but I'm hoping it means comedy in the same way Ben 10 is mostly comedic while still being a plot-driven show, as opposed to AoSTH which (whilst not bad) is mostly about gags.

Edited by Akito

So after all the rumours and speculation, we actually are getting a new Sonic cartoon? But I don't get Cartoon Network or whatever channel this is going to be on in the UK...

*scrolls down and sees teaser pic*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lz1J9b_pxg

Think I've dodged a bullet there!

What I wanna know is how Knuckles' legs are supporting his giant body.

This shouldn't be a question. Anime logic is not on your side for this question.

http://youtu.be/HH-s3yiE6Fo

I still really, really hate all that I'm seeing. Maybe I'll feel differently after some time has passed and we see a proper reveal, but as everything stands right now I'm pretty dismayed that this is the direction the franchise is heading in.

• Thumbs Up 2

http://youtu.be/HH-s3yiE6Fo

I still really, really hate all that I'm seeing. Maybe I'll feel differently after some time has passed and we see a proper reveal, but as everything stands right now I'm pretty dismayed that this is the direction the franchise is heading in.

You say that like the redesign will apply to Sonic in the games and comics as well. I'm pretty sure that awkwardly terrible design will only be for this show, not for the games as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Heh, I guess the live action Sonic film by Blue Core Studios was more accurate than we thought!

OMG, Knuckles totally looks like Kronk from The Emporer's New Groove!
tumblr_m30r073IrM1rpkz8ro2_400.gif

All I can say is he better act like him!

Welp, time to get the poison.

The poison for Sonic Boom.

The poison chosen specifically to kill Sonic Boom.

Sonic Boom's poison.

..That poison.

• Thumbs Up 3

For example, let's take Knuckles. Instead of making him more taller and buffer, why not make him more "wild" looking? Make his dreadlocks be less straight or add a little bit of fangs and "lone wolf" eyes like the original creator had in mind.

Heh, I've done a version of that before: http://hylian-rinku.deviantart.com/art/A-Different-Knux-346734316

But aye, despite me saying I'm disliking all this negativity, I still think he could had been designed to keep his characteristics and actually make him look capable of gliding still. Right now, he's not really looking like he could in the slightest.

(In this post I'm talking about art styles and feel, any games mentioned here have nothing to do with their respective quality.)

So SEGA, now that you've been trying to give Sonic his original identity back, you go and try mimicking everyone else again. Remember Shadow the Hedgehog? Yeah, stuff like Halo and Call of Doody were popular at the time, so why don't we make a game with aliens, guns, grit and stick Sonic characters in it? Or how about Sonic 06? Everybody loves those damn J-RPGs, so surely mixing Sonic in it would be a sure fire success!

Oh wait, no it didn't! That's what happens when you attempt to completely throw away what made your series so beloved is because it had it's own identity, it was original, and most of all, awesome for having it's own feel. And then you go and copy whatever trend is happening and paste it on to your franchise.

101st post, wonderful...

Edited by Briraka

Ah, finally managed to catch up with the rest of you.

Seriously, though, I literally have no strong feelings on this at the moment, one way or the other. In fact, I'm gonna wait until we get more information on it. The way I see it, there is no use in bugging out over essentially nothing.

^This. seriously now Archie has a case next time SEGA starts bitching and mandating about character designs.

Not really. Hypocritical as it may be, Sega ultimately owns the IP; ergo, they can do whatever they so choose with it.

Edited by Komodin
  • Thumbs Up 2

The sad thing is, if Knuckles was just that bit more on par with Sonic in terms of height in those silhouettes, we'd probably all be quite excited for this.

You say that like the redesign will apply to Sonic in the games and comics as well. I'm pretty sure that awkwardly terrible design will only be for this show, not for the games as well.

There's been lots of talks about Sonic trying to keep an image of brand consistency. There was also rumors that Sega was going in a new direction for Sonic in 2014. 

With both of those statements in mind, its not a stretch to be really worried about the future of the franchise as a whole. And even if everything else doesn't change, it still doesn't explain why Sega would just let this happen on the side whenever they're making Archie!Sonic stick to the games more.

• Thumbs Up 2

The sad thing is, if Knuckles was just that bit more on par with Sonic in terms of height in those silhouettes, we'd probably all be quite excited for this.

On the contrary, I'd still be complaining about the non-character art.  That scenery looks absolutely atrocious, if you ask me.  It's like Sonic Generations... only bad. (Or worse, if you didn't like Generations' art style)

• Thumbs Up 1

(In this post I'm talking about art styles and feel, any games mentioned here have nothing to do with their respective quality.)

So SEGA, now that you've been trying to give Sonic his original identity back, you go and try mimicking everyone else again. Remember Shadow the Hedgehog? Yeah, stuff like Halo and Call of Doody were popular at the time, so why don't we make a game with aliens, guns, grit and stick Sonic characters in it? Or how about Sonic 06? Everybody loves those damn J-RPGs, so surely mixing Sonic in it would be a sure fire success!

Oh wait, no it didn't! That's what happens when you attempt to completely throw away what made your series so beloved is because it had it's own identity, it was original, and most of all, awesome for having it's own feel. And then you go and copy whatever trend is happening and paste it on to your franchise.

101st post, wonderful...

What new trend are you rambling on about?

On the contrary, I'd still be complaining about the non-character art.  That scenery looks absolutely atrocious, if you ask me.  It's like Sonic Generations... only bad. (Or worse, if you didn't like Generations' art style)

Perhaps I was exaggerating a little, but Knuckles (dare I even call him Knuckles) is easily the most jarring thing about that image.

The rest, as flawed as it may be, I can live with. Knuckles, just... no.

• Thumbs Up 2

My indifference will transform into an opinion when there's some actual character designs to consider rather than just silhuettes. For all I know, that's just a concept shot that will not reflect the final design.

I do like the loop in the background.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unless this is literally "Sonic High School" or something and they're wearing uniform clothing. And if thats the case then I'll be laughing my way out the door. :v

I was reminded of this abomination when you said that.

STH94.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

What new trend are you rambling on about?

The Ghostly Adventures/TTGo/Skylanders one. Taking something and making it utterly cring-worthy for the sake of being "HIP AND CEWL".

Although if this cartoon has little influence on the games, I could just put it in the same garbage bin as satAM and Undergound.

Edited by Briraka

Have you guys seen the cgi in xiaolin chronicles? It's not bad but its not that good

The Ghostly Adventures/TTGo/Skylanders one. Taking something and making it utterly cring-worthy for the sake of being "HIP AND CEWL".

They're trying to be hip and cool? I haven't played or seen any of those so I can't really judge.

Can't speak for Ghostly Adventures, but TTGo is a satire (not a very funny one, but a satire nonetheless) and Skylanders is just a "reinvention" of a pre-existing franchise where the lead character has little to do with anything in it.  I don't see how any of those examples are trying to be hip and cool.  Drastically different, yes.  Qualitatively bad, yes.  Trying to be cool anymore than the works that inspired them?  Eh, not really.

I know we're all focused on Knuckles, but...

...does anyone else think that Sonic looks like he's wearing a vest?

Edited by SheWhoRantsTooMuch

Oh my god, look at knuckles silhouette, they've changed it, I WILL NEVER WATCH THIS SHOW!!!

....this fanbase

Let's not wait to see any actual content from the show, hell let's not even wait to see their actual designs. Let's just write this one off based on a shadow.

I for one, am looking forward to seeing more of this. I was shocked by the redesigns but I'd at least like to see them before deciding they're shit. Can't wait to see how eggman's gonna be :)