Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

Between the Deadly Six and this cartoon, it sounds like the series is aiming to expand the gallery of villains beyond Eggman. A way to keep things fresh without ruining Eggman's character as the "surprise betrayal" at the end of half the games did.

So who knows, maybe Nack would be necro'd for that. I doubt it, but since Sumo acknowledged him however slightly (if I recall anyway), it might mean something.

actualy SEGA themselves have mentioned that if a proper oppurtunity arised they could ressurect him, and admitedly a weekly tv show would be easier to do it in than a game

Smash Bros. 4 is coming in 2014 (or possibly later?), and he still has his usual design. If SEGA was really planning to redesign standard Sonic, you'd think he'd have the new design in Smash.

I really, really don't think this cartoon is going to have a huge influence on the games. Maybe something minor like if the cartoon's writers come up with a character trait that Sonic Team wants to use, or something, but the designs? Nope.

I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong about this.

Edited by ElementofChaos

The post-Adventure era was filled with uniformity... SEGA told Fleetway and Archie to use the new redesigns or else. Sonic X was in line with the game designs, and the voice actors for that cartoon were hired for the games because that's what kids associated with Sonic now (well that and it was cheaper than keeping the old cast)...

So theoretically they might either mandate the cartoon's designs change, or change the game's designs, to keep that conformity. Unless SEGA's become more hands off on the subject again, like it was back in the early 90s. But from what I hear SEGA still actively sticks its nose into Archie these days, so don't count on that.

actualy SEGA themselves have mentioned that if a proper oppurtunity arised they could ressurect him, and admitedly a weekly tv show would be easier to do it in than a game

Well, I think that's your answer. To quote Aaron Webber, "how about that guys? You got a maybe!"

I'm actually wondering how late into the game this promotional artwork even is. I know it sounds like me being hopeful, but what if this was before any changes were made?

If anything happens I hope Sega at least pays attention to the responses and the general reaction, and it would at least make some of a difference in its production, I'd hope.

Good lord! This topic exploded (but I can see why).

So it's real huh?  Well there's something to look for next year...

And also, HOLY SHIT! JESUS CHRIST ON A POGO STICK! LOOK AT KNUCKLES!!  HE HAS FINGERS (again) AND HE LOOKS LIKE HE BEEN TAKING 'ROIDS!

As for my actual thoughts regarding this cartoon, it's either going to surprising great or amazingly (and hilariously) awful.  I'm good either way smile.png

I can only imagine what's gonna happen if this ends up being popular and Sega incorporate it into the games.

It's about damn time we're getting another Sonic TV series. I think the comedic approach could work really well with Sonic in animated form, and I'm glad it's not taking itself seriously. Hand drawn or CG animated, as long as the designs are relatively faithful to the games, I'll be perfectly fine with it. I'm expecting the current voice cast will be utilized here, hopefully it will give them more of a chance to stretch their legs and be given more material than the games.

I'm a bit worried it's on Cartoon Network though, that's really taken me by complete surprise. If Sonic Boom turns out to be really good, it better have a long run and not get cancelled after 2 seasons. 

Oh, and as the OP stated, what the fuck is up with the silhouette of Knuckles? Amy and Tails look completely faithful to the games, and Sonic looks close too, but I don't want meat head the echidna.

I don't have cable, but I'll give it a shot on the internet when it comes out, I'm pretty optimistic about it aside from the possible Knuckles design. 

I'm actually wondering how late into the game this promotional artwork even is. I know it sounds like me being hopeful, but what if this was before any changes were made?

If anything happens I hope Sega at least pays attention to the responses and the general reaction, and it would at least make some of a difference in its production, I'd hope.

It being very early in production would explain the fact they didn't showcase it at Boom 2013. I was anticipating a reveal of the cartoon there, which was why I pretty much decided it wasn't real afterward.

From what I hear this is coming Fall 2014... and since Boom is Summer 2014, I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic Boom 2014 showcases the show. A full first episode, even; since the episodes are eleven minutes long they'd fit into the 30-minute time slot perfectly with whatever the third game is.

As for my actual thoughts regarding this cartoon, it's either going to surprising great or amazingly (and hilariously) awful.  I'm good either way smile.png

Indeed. The time has come to replace the AoStH memes, I think. We may get a new source here.

So here's my take on what the characters will look like:

pp7r.png

Edited by Dark Tomoki
  • Thumbs Up 9

When the rumours first showed up a couple of months ago that this show would be a comedy, I was honestly expecting character designs along the lines of Teen Titans Go!, My Little Pony (as compared to G3) or that super-cute Sonic merch Japan got a little while back; something super simplified to reflect a lighter tone and lower stakes, y'know?

It's just odd that they've gone for such a weirdly detailed look when it's almost certain that they won't have a ton of money to work with. That's kind of begging for the show to look bad.

I can only imagine what's gonna happen if this ends up being popular and Sega incorporate it into the games.

Please don't joke about that.

• Thumbs Up 5

Considering Sega themselves is talking about it and made the press statement etc it seems unlikely they are gunna change anything. If they weren't happy with it they plain wouldn't have announced it yet. I would say what we see is what we are getting.

As has been mentioned being a comedy I could see Bean and Bark and Nack making a good comedy set of baddies like in the Archie comics. The chances of that is very slim. Yeah they have mentioned them, Nack in particular, themselves, via Sumo, via the History of Sonic book, via the posters in Generations. But sadly its grasping at straws I think.

I kind of see a scarf on Sonic, rather than a vest or jacket. Maybe it's because I just wanna see a cool animation of Sonic running, with his quills being adorable and his scarf billowing behind him or something, but...

If he does appear, I hope they make him a sympathetic character. I really like Fang, so the idea of him being portrayed as an unlikable jerk or a cold-blooded killer upsets me.

When the rumours first showed up a couple of months ago that this show would be a comedy, I was honestly expecting character designs along the lines of Teen Titans Go!, My Little Pony (as compared to G3) or that super-cute Sonic merch Japan got a little while back; something super simplified to reflect a lighter tone and lower stakes, y'know?

It's just odd that they've gone for such a weirdly detailed look when it's almost certain that they won't have a ton of money to work with. That's kind of begging for the show to look bad.

It really is a strange choice. Going fully digital requires all sorts of lovely equipment, which costs money. 2D animation takes more time I presume (especially if you're one of the traditional purists), but it's ultimately less expensive. At least, that's what I'd figure. I don't work in the industry so I very well could be wrong and it could be dirt cheap to animate via CG models now.

I shall laugh if this first preview is a prank on the poor reception of the Fan Film on SEGA's part. We need to remember that their brand manager is -very- well aware of the memes that pervade the fandom... so this could actually be some cruel joke concocted by Webber until an actual preview is ready. tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Huh... I've just realised.

We might actually get some details on this in two weeks. Well... might... depending a lot on how restrictive a certain event Sega's attending will be.

Huh... I've just realised.

We might actually get some details on this in two weeks. Well... might... depending a lot on how restrictive a certain event Sega's attending will be.

Do you fancy not being cryptic?

• Thumbs Up 8

It really is a strange choice. Going fully digital requires all sorts of lovely equipment, which costs money. 2D animation takes more time I presume (especially if you're one of the traditional purists), but it's ultimately less expensive. At least, that's what I'd figure. I don't work in the industry so I very well could be wrong and it could be dirt cheap to animate via CG models now.

The CG thing isn't what's weird to me. It's that they're working with TV-quality CG, which can very easily look really bad when it overreaches, and they seem to have gone out of their way to find an art style that'll look as bad as possible when it's animated on the budget they've probably got.

...well, no, that's a bit of a leap from just the one teaser, I guess. It's just weird to me that the games have finally fully embraced a simple cartoon look, but this actual cartoon seems to be sort of doing the opposite.

I shall laugh if this first preview is a prank on the poor reception of the Fan Film on SEGA's part. We need to remember that their brand manager is -very- well aware of the memes that pervade the fandom... so this could actually be some cruel joke concocted by Webber until an actual preview is ready. tongue.png

That... would be quite dumb on their part. I mean, call me a marketing novice if you must, but why would they introduce something that would run the risk of instilling bad will in a product they wish to "sell" just for the sake of a gag?

• Thumbs Up 1

That... would be quite dumb on their part. I mean, call me a marketing novice if you must, but why would they introduce something that would run the risk of instilling bad will in a product they wish to "sell" just for the sake of a gag?

Especially at press release, at that.

I also gotta say that the environment just looks way too realistic to be like Sonic. Like, there's nothing "Sonic-y" about it besides the loop, which I guess amplifies why this looks so off from what to expect from a good Sonic show. :v

• Thumbs Up 4

So is the general census is that Tails is the only one who wasn't completely bastardized? (And Amy to an extent)

Do you fancy not being cryptic?

Well since you asked so nicely and everyone has been so open minded with regards to this show being good or not so far... alrighty then.

This is a TV show isn't it?

Aparently.

How far in advance do you think TV schedules are put in place? A month? A week? Try.... around... ohhhhh 6 - 8 months or so depending on the station.

Now consider what we know. Sega intend this to be shown first on Cartoon Network in the US... and two telly channels in france. They'll most likely already have these episodes booked in slots, or at least earmarked for say October-December of next year with nothing specific in place since it's still well over a year away.

So far we have confirmed showings in the United States and France. The press release says that they'll be looking to expand the show into other territories, and France, isn't the whole of Europe.

So how do we get the tv show on other territories like the rest of Europe?

We attend various events and show it off... like global events... like say... Brand Licensing Europe... which Sega are attending, in a few weeks time. To show off all their licenses which are for sale.

Now... consider that TV listings have to be done in advance, and this event will have TV properties being shown from other networks, would it not be a reasonable assumption to guess that maybe, they'll have something to show off at this event?

The problem. This is not a strict videogame event, it is covered by mainstream press. So if theres a 'hot product' thats not this show, almost all the coverage will be elsewhere. Then theres the issue of 'no photos.'

But then again, does anyone actually care? Pretty much everybody on here is giving the impression that they either expect or want it to fail regardless of if they show anything or not.

• Thumbs Up 7