Soniman

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Do you fancy not being cryptic?

Well since you asked so nicely and everyone has been so open minded with regards to this show being good or not so far... alrighty then.

This is a TV show isn't it?

Aparently.

How far in advance do you think TV schedules are put in place? A month? A week? Try.... around... ohhhhh 6 - 8 months or so depending on the station.

Now consider what we know. Sega intend this to be shown first on Cartoon Network in the US... and two telly channels in france. They'll most likely already have these episodes booked in slots, or at least earmarked for say October-December of next year with nothing specific in place since it's still well over a year away.

So far we have confirmed showings in the United States and France. The press release says that they'll be looking to expand the show into other territories, and France, isn't the whole of Europe.

So how do we get the tv show on other territories like the rest of Europe?

We attend various events and show it off... like global events... like say... Brand Licensing Europe... which Sega are attending, in a few weeks time. To show off all their licenses which are for sale.

Now... consider that TV listings have to be done in advance, and this event will have TV properties being shown from other networks, would it not be a reasonable assumption to guess that maybe, they'll have something to show off at this event?

The problem. This is not a strict videogame event, it is covered by mainstream press. So if theres a 'hot product' thats not this show, almost all the coverage will be elsewhere. Then theres the issue of 'no photos.'

But then again, does anyone actually care? Pretty much everybody on here is giving the impression that they either expect or want it to fail regardless of if they show anything or not.

I also gotta say that the environment just looks way too realistic to be like Sonic. Like, there's nothing "Sonic-y" about it besides the loop, which I guess amplifies why this looks so off from what to expect from a good Sonic show. :v

The palm trees are fairly cartooney.  I'm fine with it to be honest, it's basically the art style Unleashed, Generations and Colours had.  Realistic environments with zany architecture or zany environments with realistic architecture in Unleashed and Colours respectively, with a natural blend of both for Generations.

So is the general census is that Tails is the only one who wasn't completely bastardized? (And Amy to an extent)

Well, that wrench being prominently displayed in his silhouette isn't exactly speaking well of how he'll likely be characterized.

Well, that wrench being prominently displayed in his silhouette isn't exactly speaking well of how he'll likely be characterized.

You mean being the smart mechanic guy like he always is? Yeah, I guess that would be pretty bad....

It would be if he's just the walking tool kit again, yeah. 

Well fuck, it's not like it would be easy to portray Tails' strong relationship with Sonic and sarcastic nature through a still shillouette now would it?

Edited by Soniman

I'm grasping at straws here, but Genao Productions, the team working on Sonic Boom, are also working on a new Alvin & The Chipmunks series. They redesigned Alvin and this is what he looks like now:

alvinnnchipmunks.jpg

Could Sonic have a similar art style? Some of Genao's other CG cartoons look really nice - bright colors, detailed environments, and smooth animations that would be at home in a feature film. I have pretty high hopes for this series.

I'm grasping at straws here, but Genao Productions, the team working on Sonic Boom, are also working on a new Alvin & The Chipmunks series. They redesigned Alvin and this is what he looks like now:

alvinnnchipmunks.jpg

Could Sonic have a similar art style? Some of Genao's other CG cartoons look really nice - bright colors, detailed environments, and smooth animations that would be at home in a feature film. I have pretty high hopes for this series.

...This actually doesn't that bad; its a nice blend of the classic and modern from the movies.

We attend various events and show it off... like global events... like say... Brand Licensing Europe... which Sega are attending, in a few weeks time. To show off all their licenses which are for sale.

Buried underneath all that attitude, you managed to get the answer out. Thank-you, I suppose.

Seriously Hogfather, there's no need for that attitude or for you not to just say straight up that you were thinking about BLE. It's really annoying and kinda rude.

Now that you've said it though, yes I agree it will be interesting to see if this pops up there or anywhere else over the coming year. I'd be surprised if SEGA didn't take it to any of these events. This announcement in particular is just weeks before the launch of the first new big Sonic game since 2011 and just before BLE starts. It sounds like good timing. How soon we'll find out anything is another matter though, cause as you said these things at these events are very often made to be kept secret.

Edited by Blue Blood

alvinnnchipmunks.jpg

Not bad, actually.  I wouldn't mind if it looks a little like this.  But it still needs to be fairly close to their Sega counterparts.

Huh that Alvin redesign looks a hell of a lot better than the horrible live action movie version. Still not as good as the 80's/90's cartoon tho. I'm a purest :P

You know... I'm going to put up an semi-orginal complaint about this...

Pretend, you know nothing about Sonic. Just pretend you know absolutely nothing about Sonic, you don't know what he looks like, who his friends are... you don't even know that he's a hedgehog.

I come upto you and say the following.

"This is our teaser image for a new TV show called Sonic Boom in which Sonic and his friends fight against a villain trying to turn their friends into robots"

sonicboomteaser.png

Which one of those images do you think is Sonic?

Me? If you had asked me that? I would say... Knuckles... Why would I say that?

Well, for starters, we have 4 characters standing in a line, and due to the way these things work, we can discard the ones on the outside since they're never the main protagonist, it's always the 'central' character.

But we have 2 people it could be... So which one is it? Remember you know nothing about Sonic.

Which one out of those is standing like a stereotypical hero with the big muscles and the arching back? Which one of those looks like they fight robots? It's Knuckles, for me, I would pick him every time.

Does anyone else see a bit of a problem with this? Especially when it comes to marketting it? Fortunately I suspect that Sonic as a brand character is strong enough that virtually anyone who this is being pitched too won't be confused but, if you didn't know much, from that image, Knuckles looks like the main protagonist, not Sonic.

Maybe; in this day and age I assume the big muscley guy to be a secondary character type.  It's not really the 80's anymore.

And even then it feels like a really fruitless argument considering the whole... "Sonic the Hedgehog being a household name for two decades" thing.

No they are not going to have any trouble marketing who the main character is at all.

Edited by JezMM