Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

Designs: Tails looks generally the same, his belly fur seems to stick out a bit more and he looks to have similar gloves to his '90s cartoons look along with the U.S. artwork. Looks fine.

Sonic: Seems fine I think. Given from the 2 places around his neck area he may be wearing a vest(Sonic the vest-hog)similar to the stereotypical leader or adventure/thrill seeker, might be a back-pack similar to SatAM and Underground(Who knows...I think you knows). Also has more of his quills poking out(similar to how I used to draw him), that's a nice detail I have no problem with something like that. I actually like a bit of messier spines for Sonic, it looks cooler in my opinion.

Knuckles: I don't like it. His design change doesn't fit his character at all. Seeing this just tells me he'll be written as the dimwitted, muscular guy of the group. I mean he is strong, yes but he isn't like a muscle bound brute or anything. He's tough and made himself strong so he could have an easier time fulfilling his guardian duties(dooties)He's later been joining Sonic on Adventures lending his strength whenever needed but only because finds himself having no trouble leaving the M.E. alone anymore. He also seems to have visible fingers while keeping his spiked knuckles now also showing a possibility that the spikes are physical mutation or whatever. My general thinking has made me too attached to how he normally appears and has made it seem quite jarring to see him without his boxing mittens. Knuckles is called knuckles because he uses his fist a lot, since his physical strength was mainly a way to be more efficient at guarding the emerald he probably wears boxing mittens with spikes to keep away dangerous-like trespassers, now to destroy badniks. Thinking like this makes an unnatural feeling happen when I see no gloves, I also don't like the idea of the spikes being actually apart of him.

Amy: Looks alright, isn't wearing her normal red dress and that's not a real problem. Seems to 2nd least changed so far.

I have nothing else to say about anything else regarding the new info on this show. I will be waiting to see the premiere and find out if I will or won't watch it.

Edited by Chrononego

Im caught off guard with these Two sonic news, Sonic in smash and New sonic cartoon. And yet The third game is still waiting to be announced, but that announcement not coming until April or may if it's coming out during the fall. But I Have a feeling they will reveal it sometime. Maybe the next direct. Time to wait for the next 2 months!

Will the third game Tie in to this T.v series? 

I hope there is at least an explanation to knuckles got so buff

Edited by jordine

I know someone brought this up before in the topic (or at least they had to have), but

Pachacamac.png

I'm really wondering that if they actually are putting attention into this based on past Sonic stuff, if Knuckles is meant to look more like the soldiers Pachacamac had in Sonic Adventure (specially Sonic X's rendition of them)? Because it still looks ridiculous, but if he looks a bit more tribal and wild too then this might not be THAT that bad.

Regardless, its still a major redesign.

As for Sonic and everyone else,

I traced over the shadows and tried to make them look as close as possible to their game counterparts:
anim_0e07af1e-fcd2-7c14-556a-7e90c109f12
Yeah, I can't draw Knuckles' head at all...

I think this would be really nice.

Especially since it means Sonic's spikes would rather be more portruding from his back, making a more OVA-ish appearance to him. Anything but actual clothing he wears at all times.. lol

grrrrooooooaaaaaaaannnnn

And before people can start going "oh but it's only sillhouettes you just don't like change", I love change

I also love cartoons with strong sillhouettes

these ones tell me already these are going to be bland as fuck edgy designs featuring the YEAH TUDE COOL main hero with a fuckton of spikes in an attempt to immitate some notion of anime, the YEAH JOCK HURGH type because he's strong and thus has to be huge despite that in a sheer cartoony logic the fact Knuckles was strong without being huge was a really clever element

and then Tails and Amy looking roughly the same

no hopes for this at all

• Thumbs Up 2

Has it been pointed out that the Sonic Facebook has confirmed the game voice actors?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151875351727418&set=a.406270927417.185036.23050342417&type=1&comment_id=10352062&reply_comment_id=10352266&total_comments=41

EDIT:

Never mind. Just been told in the status box that it's already been posted.

I'm glad they went that route this time around. I'd rather not get sucked into another Voice Actor War like we saw after 4Kids took over the games.

Since Roger Craig's Sonic sounds older... maybe they changed the design of the cartoon Sonic to try and reflect it somehow?

Oh boy... where do I begin?

I had my reaction in my status already, but I have to put more words behind it.

With a name like Sonic Boom, you'd expect a kickass action packed show, right? Imagine my hype and happiness. Another good Sonic cartoon again to reach the masses, after all this time.

And then, to here that its ANOTHER COMEDY SHOW?! I'm sorry, but I had to face palm then, and I did it hard. Haven't done that in a while. With all of the super intense and crazy weird cartoons seemingly taking over TV, it greatly disappoints me. Not that stuff like Adventure Time or Teen Titans Go don't have their place, everything does. But wasn't Sonic supposed to break free and break the mold from this sort of thing and wow this current generation? And even then, attempting to get something that can reach a wide demographic of maybe 7 - 13? I dunno. It lost points with me regardless, with it being on Cartoon Network.

As for the CG models... I can't really judge them too harshly right now. At first, I hated them with a passion. Especially with Fingers the Beefcake. But after that pic Sonikko / Zeena did, I'm warming up to them just a little. Of course, it's probably going to be in a different CG that what Marza uses, but still.

A major bummer so far to hear, but I'm holding a little hope here. If it's a comedy, as long as the jokes are funny and it doesn't end up as Victoes put it, "Sonic Colours, the show," (I think it was you. Right?) I'll probably get some enjoyment out of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm actually quite excited for this.  I'm wondering if these character re-designs will carry over into the videogames, mainly regarding Knuckles, since he hasn't really been in a main series for a while so it could serve as a good way to re-introduce him in a way that more blatantly shows him to be the power-house of the group.

I like Sonic's multi-spike look and the setting looks encouraging, so with any luck it could turn out to be enjoyable enough.  It is a bit jarring the Knuckles went all Vector on us but if the CGI looks good and the show is fun, I can easily let that go.

• Thumbs Up 1

And then, to here that its ANOTHER COMEDY SHOW?! I'm sorry, but I had to face palm then, and I did it hard. Haven't done that in a while. With all of the super intense and crazy weird cartoons seemingly taking over TV, it greatly disappoints me. Not that stuff like Adventure Time or Teen Titans Go don't have their place, everything does. But wasn't Sonic supposed to break free and break the mold from this sort of thing and wow this current generation? And even then, attempting to get something that can reach a wide demographic of maybe 7 - 13? I dunno. It lost points with me regardless, with it being on Cartoon Network.

1. First of all, since when was Sonic supposed to "break the mold and wow this current generation"?

2. Whether you wanna admit it or not, Sonic is a kids series. Teenagers and adults just happen to enjoy it as well.

3. What is with the anti-comedy bias some of you people have?

4. Are we blatantly ignoring the "action-packed" part or what?

• Thumbs Up 3

I know someone brought this up before in the topic (or at least they had to have), but

Pachacamac.png

I'm really wondering that if they actually are putting attention into this based on past Sonic stuff, if Knuckles is meant to look more like the soldiers Pachacamac had in Sonic Adventure (specially Sonic X's rendition of them)? Because it still looks ridiculous, but if he looks a bit more tribal and wild too then this might not be THAT that bad.

Regardless, its still a major redesign.

If knuckles looks like the ones in the back, I'd be okay with this, but without the extra designs.

Wait, so the episodes are 11 minutes long? Is that the new standard cartoon length or something? Seems awfully short; and I hope it's balanced out with more episodes, as 52 episodes at 11 minutes each gives it 40% of the total content that AoStH had.

Additionally, the "comedy" focus worries me slightly. AoStH was fun and all but I feel I would've enjoyed it more if there was some actual continuity and plot development (each episode just barely had the basic elements of a story). Maybe they'll do better on that front this time around, but the 11 minute running time makes it pretty hard to be optimistic.

Edited by Frogging101
  • Thumbs Up 2

So after some further thought, I don't really have an opinion on Sonic's design because I feel it could go either way (as in it could be good or bad), am fine with Tails and Amy's designs, and still despise Knux's design. The premise of the show (comedy-focused 11 min shorts with 2 per episode) still has me worried that it'll be terrible though. And if it's terrible, I still hope to god this is not the bold new direction and the "consistency" that Iizuka has been talking about, and I hope the games stay unaffected by the crap show. Because from the looks of it, if it's going to be terrible, it's going to be really fucking terrible. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait, so the episodes are 11 minutes long? Is that the new standard cartoon length or something? Seems awfully short; and I hope it's balanced out with more episodes, as 52 episodes at 11 minutes each gives it 40% of the total content that AoStH had.

It is short but it's amazing what you can do with that short length of time. If you've ever watched Adult Swim, they have a fair number of shows that fill fifteen-minute time slots due to being only eleven or so minutes long, and a lot of them (At least back when I watched TV) were fairly humorous and well-received. Cartoon Network knows its stuff with humorous short episodes, if nothing else... or at least it used to. Let's pray.

As someone who still has a neutral opinion on this entire thing; the "comedy" focus really is off putting for me too. Its not that I have anything against it, I like comedy, but when I look at Sonic I don't get "comedy"  I get "action-packed adventure" and, ironically, whenever the series tries to be funny....it isn't, the exact opposite actually. So trying to sell a show on that alone, isn't going to go over well with people.

• Thumbs Up 3

So now Sonic isn't allowed to try its hand at comedy because it got it wrong once?

Pachacamac.png

I guess I wouldn't mind if Knuckles looked more like this, but... I don't know.  It still seems a little weird to me that he would so massive, though.

Yeah, the eleven minute running time is worrying me a bit, too.  I mean, sure, you can squeeze a lot into 11 minutes, but if the story is truly meant to be "character-driven," then I imagine that there's a considerable chance that there will be many episodes with nothing but character exposition and other forms of filler.

As someone who still has a neutral opinion on this entire thing; the "comedy" focus really is off putting for me too. Its not that I have anything against it, I like comedy, but when I look at Sonic I don't get "comedy"  I get "action-packed adventure" and, ironically, whenever the series tries to be funny....it isn't, the exact opposite actually. So trying to sell a show on that alone, isn't going to go over well with people.

Well, they did describe the show as an "action-packed comedy," so I'm hoping that we get a pleasant balance of both.  Not that I'm trying to say Colors and Generations were hilarious or anything, but a show that encompasses that brand of humor would still be a step in the right direction.  At least, by comparison to a Sonic series which potentially takes influence from the other Cartoon Network shows around it.

So now Sonic isn't allowed to try its hand at comedy because it got it wrong once?

I want you to go back and tell me where did I say "Sonic is not allowed to do comedy" because I'm pretty sure I didn't say that. I said, "I do not get a comedy vibe from Sonic, at all. And a series focusing on that aspect, based on past attempts at comedy, does not fill me with any sort of excitement" 

Now how the hell did you misread that, because I was pretty clear.

Well, they did describe the show as an "action-packed comedy," so I'm hoping that we get a pleasant balance of both.  Not that I'm trying to say Colors and Generations were hilarious or anything, but a show that encompasses that brand of humor would still be a step in the right direction.  At least, by comparison to a Sonic series which potentially takes influence from the other Cartoon Network shows around it.

Honestly, I kinda wanted something more along the lines of Avatar, or the original Teen Titans. But meh, wait and see I guess. 

Edited by Azure Yakuzu
  • Thumbs Up 1

A comedy focused series can still have plenty of action in it.

The original Teen Titans, the original Ben 10, and the current TMNT being good examples since they knew ("know" in TMNT's case) how to balance action and comedy.

• Thumbs Up 1

So after some further thought, I don't really have an opinion on Sonic's design because I feel it could go either way (as in it could be good or bad), am fine with Tails and Amy's designs, and still despise Knux's design. The premise of the show (comedy-focused 11 min shorts with 2 per episode) still has me worried that it'll be terrible though. And if it's terrible, I still hope to god this is not the bold new direction and the "consistency" that Iizuka has been talking about, and I hope the games stay unaffected by the crap show. Because from the looks of it, if it's going to be terrible, it's going to be really fucking terrible. 

If Iizuka wanted a new direction for the Sonic series (I can't seem to find a source for this; can someone help me out?), then wouldn't it have begun with Sonic Lost World, rather than a TV Show a year later? It just doesn't make sense.

According to TSSZ, Iizuka told IGN, regarding Sonic Lost World "that this was the new direction he wanted to explore post-Generations". However TSSZ doesn't cite a source for this and I can't seem to find one, so take it with a grain of salt.

Edited by Frogging101

Honestly, if you're apprehensive of a comedic Sonic series because of past attempts, then a Sonic series actually attempting to take itself seriously should terrify you. 

• Thumbs Up 5

That's the implication I got.

Well its not the one I was going for.

If Iizuka wanted a new direction for the Sonic series (I can't seem to find a source for this; can someone help me out?), then wouldn't it have begun with Sonic Lost World, rather than a TV Show a year later? It just doesn't make sense.

According to TSSZ, Iizuka told IGN, regarding Sonic Lost World "that this was the new direction he wanted to explore post-Generations". However TSSZ doesn't cite a source for this and I can't seem to find one, so take it with a grain of salt.

Guess we'll have to wait for Lost World and how that turns out.