Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

Despite the crazy character redesigns, Sonic Boom is sounding like the closest a Sonic TV series has come to SEGA Sonic. No planet Mobius, no Robotnik, no Sonic X dimensional leaps with Chris Thorndyke. 

In one way, I suppose you're right. But the character designs really stand in the way of that I think. X on the other hand was very true to the games, and just adapted to have an overarching plot with a bridge character. Boom is probably going to be a bit more removed from the game world. However, it also seems like it's potentially the biggest push SEGA's ever given to reinvigorate the franchise.

All that means is the designs aren't changing right this second.

Or that they never will.

Or that they never will.

If they get popular, they might. 

This doesn't really change anything.

If they get popular, they might. 

This doesn't really change anything.

Like all those cartoons beofre, right?

Like all those cartoons beofre, right?

After the influence Sonic X had on the franchise?  Maybe.

After the influence Sonic X had on the franchise?  Maybe.

So almost noexistent? Sure.

Honestly, the character designs are the least of my concerns. Things like tone, plot, and faithfulness to the games(though on could argue that designs are unfaithful, but I'm not worried about that) are my main concerns.

How is "changing the entire voice cast" nonexistent? 

It's voice acting, it doesn't actually affect the DIRECTION the games are taken in.

• Thumbs Up 2

Need I remind you that the character's redesigns for Sonic Adventure onward didn't originate from any cartoon?

Edited by Dizcrybe

It's voice acting, it doesn't actually affect the DIRECTION the games are taken in.

If the designs in Sonic X were actually different from the main ones, you could bet they would have changed that for consistency's sake as well.

Yeah I'd consider that pretty minor. The games up until Colors were Dubs of Japanese games. In most countries they didn't care.

Because the voice actor change was only aesthetic to make the show and games more in line with each other, not to mention it was much easier for SEGA to use a company like 4Kids to handle the dubbing for both than doing it for either of them themselves. It didn't impact the series in any other way. Heck, there wasn't even a change in Japan. The VAs haven't ever changed, regardless of X.

The VA change from X is nothing worth mentioning in regards to influence.

• Thumbs Up 1

If the designs in Sonic X were actually different from the main ones, you could bet they would have changed that for consistency's sake as well.

Why would the GAMES be made to conform to what a CARTOON dictaes as the "new/correct designs"? That's entirely backwards.

Edited by Soniman

Why would the GAMES be made to conform to what a CARTOON dictaes as the "new/correct designs"? That's entirely backwards.

If that was the case, then we wouldn't be getting new designs for a cartoon being made to strengthen the Sonic BRAND to begin with. Either they're just going about it wrong or they have something planned for these designs. 

If that was the case, then we wouldn't be getting new designs for a cartoon being made to strengthen the Sonic BRAND to begin with. Either they're just going about it wrong or they have something planned for these designs. 

Maybe they're just going about it wrong? It's not like going about anything the wrong way is anything new to SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 1

Like I said, I'm not saying it will happen. I'm just saying that it's not an outright impossibility just because of Sega's response.  

EITHER WAY, these designs are still stupid. justifying it by saying "oh well its just cartoon only" doesn't change the fact that these designers are going to do whatever oddball thing they want to core characters and just hide behind that. want a steroid induced freak? why not just create someone new instead of warping a core character to fit your interest.

Archie got mandated to the bowels of hell and back for doing that, why not let it apply to everything else? what happened to consistency among the brands eh SEGA?

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 2

Ya know, all things considered; Knuckles is the only anomaly, like what is so bad about Sonic, Tails, or Amy's designs?

• Thumbs Up 6

Ya know, all things considered; Knuckles is the only anomaly, like what is so bad about Sonic, Tails, or Amy's designs?

Tails and Amy I have no idea, Sonic has hair quils and a vest which does strike me as a bit odd

Really, aside from the punk quills, Sonic looks okay, and Tails and Amy look fine too.

I can't see SoJ giving the go-ahead for these character designs, and they're in charge, so we have nothing to worry about.

Need I remind you that the character's redesigns for Sonic Adventure onward didn't originate from any cartoon?

Actually, one concept art of Eggman's redesign was strikingly familiar to the Satam design; robotic arm, and a long cape too. Granted, the final design didn't have that, but it still crossed Sonic team's minds.