Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

I can't see SoJ giving the go-ahead for these character designs, and they're in charge, so we have nothing to worry about.

Are you serious? First of all, these designs have to have been approved before they can be shown off. Secondly, Iizuka is overseeing the project. For it to have gotten this far you know he's also had to give it the okay.

SoJ gave the go ahead on this before we knew anything about it.

Sonic looks fine to me, tho I don't like the idea of him having clothes. Though I may be able to deal if it's just a jacket or something. I think part of Sonic's appeal is the charming simplicity, like Mickey Mouse. I don't like that being messed with a bunch of wacky little clothing articles.

Not sure if this has been posted yet since I really don't want to read through 20 pages of topic...

Mike Pollock has commented on our story about the official voice actors being used in the TV Show.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/10/current-vas-to-be-involved-with-sonic-boom/

The first comment was this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfvTwv5o1Qs

Then he said

"Many” and “all” are different words."

Mike is totally in this isn't he?

So, I've had a little more time to mull over the preview, and taking in all the comments I've noticed about the more subtle things, like the vest type thing Sonic is wearing, my general opinion has improved. I don't mind some changes. But Knuckles is still a HUGE (literally) problem here. The change is just too big to get over. There's no way they can't have expected this redesign to not go over well.

Edited by DocAzure

Why post about it then? usually voice actors don't post anything about a project that are not involved in unless its just to say "no I'm not involved". I think he is just for the fact alone that he isn't denying the projects existance.

What I took from his post is that ALL the voice actors arn't involved. somebodys cut question is who?

I think eventually the designs will change (for the better), though I like the vest Sonic is wearing (from the silhouette). I'm just glad we're finally getting another Sonic cartoon!

I've been skimming through this thread so I don't know if anyone posted it yet, but according to the Sonic page on Facebook regarding the cast:

"We are pleased and excited that many of the voice actors used in game for Sonic and friends will also be voicing the TV animation."

Good news from the official Sonic Facebook page. When asked if the new designs would be in the games, or just for the show, SEGA replied:

So it looks like the designs are nothing more than a unique style for this particular show. We won't have to worry about steroid-Knuckles invading the games, at least.

Yeah, this changes nothing. Still hella worried about the future of Sonic after SLW because of this. 

Why post about it then?

Mike is quite the regular reader of TSS, he's actually commented on a few stories we've done. Though usually they're ones which contain some reference to Eggman. 

Mike is quite the regular reader of TSS, he's actually commented on a few stories we've done. Though usually they're ones which contain some reference to Eggman.

No I know that, hes very vocal in the fanbase. thats what makes him awesome.

But read what I'm saying, voice actors don't post about a project they arn't involved in unless its just to deny about their involvement. If Mike wasn't involved we would have been told flat out by him personally, Mike doesn't toy around with us. and think about the past VAs who flat out told us right away they wern't involved in a Sonic game right as it was announced, we knew within a week that a voice change was happening.

I have a feeling Mike's trying to tell us that not everybody is involved and we should be prepared for a change. but I don't think its a case of him toying around with us only for him to just say "no sorry just trollin! :p", its not him.

Yeah, this changes nothing. Still hella worried about the future of Sonic after SLW because of this. 

^ This.

Plus, that comment did not say "they will never be used in the games," they merely said that the announcement for Sonic Boom only pertains to the show, which is a complete non-answer to the question that was asked.  So there's still plenty of reason to worry.

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 1

I know I'm a broken record now, but I'm still wondering why you'd take character designs that are perfect for a CGI cartoon (they were already made as models and everything!) and you make a show featuring a completely different look.

Seriously, looking at the opening of Lost World and that one cutscene again, it really just makes me wonder why they couldn't just do that, but as a show.

Adding to this, it's not even the case that Sonic is a waning image like Spyro, PacMan or Crash Bandicoot, which all received various degrees of redesigns and rebranding in recent years. He's still popular, and efforts to make a stronger brand out of what the series has been in the past few years haven't gone unnoticed.

I'm really surprised that they'd willingly change the image of the franchise (even if just for a TV show) when it's already very recognisable. And let's face it, the goal of a TV show based on existing media is to grow the franchise and reach a larger audience. If the show is successful, it will stick. They won't want people enjoying the show to try the games out and discover that they're nothing alike.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mike's comment could be taken as one of three ways I guess:

- He's in, but not everyone else is

- Some are in, he is not

- He hasn't been contacted about it yet even though they say they plan to use the game voice actors.

Mike's comment could be taken as one of three ways I guess:

- He's in, but not everyone else is

- Some are in, he is not

- He hasn't been contacted about it yet even though they say they plan to use the game voice actors.

Or they want him in, but haven't drafted a contract that he's willing to sign.

I am waiting for it to come out, but I don't think it will reach Japanese Sonic X levels by any chance. Also, not that big of a fan of Steroids The Echidna.

Jokes aside... is it just me, or is his nose really high up his face? Just look at the position of his ear and that sticky out thing which I assume is his nose... does it seem... wrong to anyone?

So, somebody said about sonic's nose being high up...

LOLS_zps98e7ee20.png

This is what you think he'd look like?

NO! It's his eye-brow!

tumblr_mu3rh0ooTt1rmjqyjo1_400.png

Source

Why is everyone assuming that Tails is going to have brown gloves? :x - Other than that, though, this looks really good. Those clothes are probably best left temporary, but other than that no complaints.

You know, aside from Artificial Growth Hormone the Enchilada still being unnaturally enormous.

• Thumbs Up 5

Frankly, if Knuckles wasn't such an anomaly, few would be this up in arms about it, because everyone else appears fine. That's the hilarious thing. His pecs are a veritable light house for usual fandom scrutiny and cynicism to ruin the whole thing. Thanks, Knuckles' pecs.

• Thumbs Up 8

I get that strange feeling there would have been something we complained about.

Thanks a lot Knuckles, ya asshole.

Eh, I'd still be bothered by Sonic wearing a vest / whatever clothing since its so.. unnecessary. If anything, he should only wear it every now and then and not at all times like a promo art piece would suggest XD

But no really, those would make it look much less offensive, I'd give it that.

• Thumbs Up 4

So, somebody said about sonic's nose being high up...

This is what you think he'd look like?

NO! It's his eye-brow!

Your right, that picture illustrates exactly what I imagined Sonic would look like.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just so y'all know - I've updated the TSS front page article about the voice actors now so as to avoid any confusion.

As Mike Pollock rightly pointed out in the comments, it was only said that "many" would reprise their roles, not necessarily all. And although Roger and Mike have both posted about the announcement, it does not necessarily mean that either of them have any connection to the project. As it stands, we have no confirmed casting whatsoever, so any names mentioned are purely based on speculation.

Sorry for any misunderstandings caused, guys.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, I'd still be bothered by Sonic wearing a vest / whatever clothing since its so.. unnecessary. If anything, he should only wear it every now and then and not at all times like a promo art piece would suggest XD

But no really, those would make it look much less offensive, I'd give it that.

Well it does at least address the double standard of why the girls have to wear clothes and why the boys get to be freeeee

Edited by Azure Yakuzu