Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

If the standard fifteen minute show is anything to go by... yeah, there will be absolutely no backstory here. Episodes will most likely be self-contained barring a handful, and I doubt even then the continuity will be that strong.

Now, there's always the chance of a movie being made based off the cartoon (this happens a LOT)... and that? That's where you'd probably get some backstory.

Negative Continuity ahoy

Adventure Time has the 15 minute time limit and it has more continuity than most shoes I've watched.

Adventure Time has the 15 minute time limit and it has more continuity than most shoes I've watched.

That's an exception and not the rule as far as I know. Short shows don't really have as much time to have a story, unless the "episodes" are actually parts of the a larger arc, which as I recall has been done before as well.

But with the comedy focus I'm fairly certain we're not going to get any really deep plot points barring one or two here or there.

As memory serves Adventures of Sonic and SatAM episodes alike both had episodes that were actually two separate stories... so I guess that'd be the closest reference to what we might get from a Sonic perspective.

I'm thinking along the lines of Invader Zim, comedy, two short episodes per show, roughly 11mins each, making a total of 26 full syndicated episodes listed as 52 in the preview due to their self contained nature.

Has an overarching plot, Team Sonic vs Eggman and crew, but each episode is a singular story, sometimes a two parter that serves to show the continued fight between these two groups but ultimately getting no where...especially of you get canceled before you can finish what you had planned...sorry went back to thinking of Zim again :/

1. First of all, since when was Sonic supposed to "break the mold and wow this current generation"?

2. Whether you wanna admit it or not, Sonic is a kids series. Teenagers and adults just happen to enjoy it as well.

3. What is with the anti-comedy bias some of you people have?

4. Are we blatantly ignoring the "action-packed" part or what?

1. It's a matter of potential. Quite a lot of people are getting into the franchise with the recent games, the comic crossover is still in the minds of many... a Sonic show would be the delicious icing on the cake.

2. I know that Sonic's a kid series. Yes, it's blatantly obvious with the themes that he carries. He's a talking blue hedgehog for pete sake! However, it never felt too obvious that it was. There's an appeal for all ages for this character. Even when I first saw it when I was, well, five or six, it never felt like something just for kids. Sonic wasn't something that you could really place a specific label on to me, almost as if it were timeless. This first impression... isn't really giving me that feeling. It might later, but we'll have to wait and see.

3. Frankly, I've seen so much of it that it gets repetitive after a while. A lot of these comedy shows that I've seen weren't really that funny to me, and they just keep popping up...getting crazier with each new one. I'm mainly talking about Cartoon Network when I say this, but still. I love comedy, but my tastes in humor have limits.

In regards to Sonic being able to have comedy, here's the thing.  Of course Sonic can have comedy! I love comedy. Plenty of stand alone moments with the characters fit in just fine, and the action is only enhanced by a few lol moments. However, I don't feel it should take center stage. It merely balances out the story to make it more enjoyable.

4. No. I'm not blatantly ignoring the action. Appearances by Sonic's gallery of rogues, the battles with Eggman, of course there's going to be action! However, the show is primarily focused on comedy. Sure, there probably would be at least one scuffle with Eggman or another villain or badnik smashing per episode, but it sounds a little unbalanced to me. Again, I just don't feel that comedy should take center stage. It feels wrong to me, with something like Sonic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18ShhOkufi0   wake up Sonic fandom
Damnit I was gonna do that? So it's not Knuckles then, it's Soreass The Echidna....I should have known...
  • Thumbs Up 3

You know, it knight not actually be that Knux is muscular, but has long dreadlocks. Im totally serious. The whole triangle upper torso might not be a triangle upper torso at all, it could just be his dreadlocks. 

That doesn't explain why his arms (which are completely out of the way of his dreads) are so huge you could land a jet on them.  Or his unnaturally tall height, which wouldn't be effected by his choice of hairstyle, no matter how long.

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18ShhOkufi0

wake up Sonic fandom

Y'know, honestly, that reminded me:

Knuckles must have put aside his differences and took up training from Thrash.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's an exception and not the rule as far as I know. Short shows don't really have as much time to have a story, unless the "episodes" are actually parts of the a larger arc, which as I recall has been done before as well.

Again, I call on Shaun the Sheep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odWBuDaDqIs

That show is barely half what this show will be, it's one of the best kids shows on TV and packs tons of content into it's stories... and at most they only ever say 1 word of english per episode.

I don't like where this might go... look at the designs of Sonic and Knuckles.

This is really exciting for me, but I think this looks like it may not be that faithful to the Sonic franchise...

• Thumbs Up 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18ShhOkufi0

wake up Sonic fandom

If that was the case......I would watch it...

• Thumbs Up 1

I dont know what to think of it xP Id really preferred if they used the actual models and not make a re-design, Knuckles looks awful, probably everyone does too. But who knows I might end up liking it.

especially of you get canceled before you can finish what you had planned...

If that bull gets pulled again this time around, I swear to Enerjak...

Judging by Sonic X managing to actually have some closure (if memory serves; I never actually watched the last season), I'm confident the ending for this one could be nice if they decide to have some overarching plot.

That show is barely half what this show will be, it's one of the best kids shows on TV and packs tons of content into it's stories... and at most they only ever say 1 word of english per episode.

Let's hope they go for that approach rather than nonstop disconnected slapstick episodes, then.

It'd be funny if the shadows were simply showing off their personifications which I can definitely see.

That's actually a pretty good idea, and I hope that is the case.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's actually a pretty good idea, and I hope that is the case.

I so sincerely hope that this is the case, but I'm very certain it won't be. It's the sort of thing that would work in a comedic trailer where they introduced the characters 5 seconds later, but not as the sole teaser image for a new brand of the franchise.

If we're gonna do "stereotypical buff tough guy", then we're also gonna do "stereotypical badass bandage hands" to make up for no gloves. :v

• Thumbs Up 1

Did Knuckles get third-degree burns or something?

Could ask the same for the whole echidna tribe.

• Thumbs Up 1

That jacket actually looks pretty cool. But I can't picture Sonic running, spinning and jumping around with it on...

Well I can't see Sonic in the show doing spins or anything in a jacket or vest either. I just went off the limitations of what the promo art gave, I guess XD

Y'all are crazy.

I embrace these redesigns, because as long as the animation is on point I know I'll get used to them in time. I also wonder if they're more or less cartoony this time. To enhance the comedic effect, you know? Like Boxer Hockey?

Knuckles is just a little taller with muscle definition. And Sonic looks shaggier so far which isn't a terrible look on him in my opinion. Anyways it's not the games guys. We'll see merch based on this but not likely a game transition.

I like that it's a comedy series as a positive, episode length is perfect. This ensures we won't be bogged down by any anime melodrama like in Sonic X, not like that's always a bad thing but X was pretty crap after like episode 5.

So yes, I am celebrating this announcement as just a new Sonic cartoon. I was beginning to think Sonic was losing his audience here and we'd never get to see another one. It's something to be glad about, right? Right guys?

Also, as an Archie reader, what the frack are they gonna do with this now? I think they get licensing dibs. The article mentioned that and it'd only make sense for Sega to ask something of Archie here. Possibly a new comic even?

Edited by American Ristar
  • Thumbs Up 3

Well I can't see Sonic in the show doing spins or anything in a jacket or vest either. I just went off the limitations of what the promo art gave, I guess XD

That's actually a very interesting point, I think. I find it hard to imagine that a character such as Sonic, who's entire personality and abilities are based on speed and movement, will be wearing clothes a lot of the time in an "action-packed" comedy series. In AoStH he had the whole instant disguise gag thing going on, but he never had the clothes on while running or otherwise moving at high speed.

Edited by Frogging101