Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

The initial order of 52 eleven-minute episodes is co-produced by SEGA of America Inc. and Genao Productions.

>52 eleven-minute episodes

>meaning around two episodes per airtime

>shorter episodes instead of full storylines

ooooooooh nooooooooo

Edited by Wonder Sloth
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, things like Adventure Time and Regular Show are in the same kind of format yet still have some level of continuity to them, so there's no reason to think that this won't. Right guys? 

Guys?

Stop judging me.

Eh, even then, I never saw the tone of those shows that fitting for Sonic.

The tone of both of them isn't really relevant; the point was that you can have continuity in a double-episode format.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I dunno why people are complaining about the 11 minute format. It's not like past Sonic cartoons have ever had grandiose episodic plots, and it's the standard to which many beloved cartoons adhere.

>52 eleven-minute episodes

>meaning around two episodes per airtime

>shorter episodes instead of full storylines

ooooooooh nooooooooo

You'd be surprised at what one can show in the span of eleven minutes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Assuming the stylized characters and the supposed 11 minute format, I'm assuming the episodes aren't really apart of a larger story and probably just the sake of fun little timeless one-off episodes of entertainment, which actually sounds refreshing for me. I don't need some "epic" that goes on for a few seasons or whatever, just some fun lulzy scenarios with Sonic and co. against what I'm assuming will be Eggman.

I just noticed the crazy amount of times I typed assuming without even thinking about it

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah I gotta agree, but at the same time, for some undertones that carry on and evolve as the series goes on would be nice. For example, Adventure Time has different stories and adventures that happen in every episode, but the underlying things like character interactions and development happens in the background and lingers as the series goes on and that would be nice.

Although I'm certainly not against at least one or two arcs that come and go throughout the series.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think the different formats have their pros and cons. Shows that rely on rapid-fire delivery probably do best under the two-parter format, while shows that would benefit from using all of their timing for character development and constant foreshadowing would benefit from a whole 22-minute episode. I imagine people appropriate Sonic with things like TMNT or Korra, rather than Adventure Time and Regular Show, hence the blowback. Granted, I'm the same way. I'd honestly rather something in the vain of the former than what we're getting, because I feel like the entire new direction of the series is coming at a serious cost of the wide-sweeping adventurous aspects that I admire about it, and in general a lot of the lore's kind of going to waste.

• Thumbs Up 3

There will probably be full episodes sprinkled throughout the series, such as the opening and ending episodes.

Kim possible had decent continuity, then again, it did have mainly 21 minute long, with a dozen or so split episodes with 2 10 minute adventures

Does the mention of new foes excite people? It excites me. Azookara that might be your bit of continuity. Also I can't help but hope this series will produce a new legendary set of goons like Scratch and Grounder.

A thought.

The 11 min. Thats also going to include an intro and a credits right?

So in reality the episodes are going to be 9min or under.

A thought.

The 11 min. Thats also going to include an intro and a credits right?

So in reality the episodes are going to be 9min or under.

Aren't credits shoved to the end and sped up so that they're less than 30 seconds on Cartoon Network though? :P Theme songs generally tend to be less than 30 seconds nowadays too, so I don't think it'll eat a whole 2 minutes of time out of the show.

There's probably gonna be some continuity, but possibly more along the lines of a simple nod like "Oh hey remember when we did this thing last week" rather than it leading up to anything major.

I'll admit I don't really mind the eleven minute format mostly because the series is focusing more on character instead of plot, and I vastly prefer those types of shows as opposed to the ones that try to be as grandiose as possible(Not that I wouldn't mind that for Sonic). My only real concern are the characters themselves. This series can barely make them interesting and fun in the games but at least there's gameplay to kind of drown that out, I really hate to see how they do so in a series focused completely on character......Oh god, I can feel the Flanderization already.

I really do wish they at least try to have a plot at some points; even MLP & Adventure Time managed to have decent plots despite their similar formats. I don't care if its just little two-parters, something gripping pls.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu

Aren't credits shoved to the end and sped up so that they're less than 30 seconds on Cartoon Network though? tongue.png Theme songs generally tend to be less than 30 seconds nowadays too, so I don't think it'll eat a whole 2 minutes of time out of the show.

It depends upon the show. Credits being sped up is a network decision versus a production one, so they still have to take it into account when determining the length of the actual short. Openings also vary. While Regular Show basically doesn't have a theme song, Adventure Time's is kind of on the longer side.

Edited by Nepenthe

Speeded up credits or even compressed credits is usually a decision of the network and not the show itself.

A good example would be the original Men In Black movie. I think in the directors commentary they say that they had to adjust the length of them so it fitted with regulations for TV.

Which is somewhat ironic since movie credits tend to get totally cut these days.

Doesn't mean it can't tell a story every now and then.
That's the point I wanted to make you can tell a good story if its character driven

There will probably be full episodes sprinkled throughout the series, such as the opening and ending episodes.

In all probability.

Worst comes to worst we can see at least a few multi-parters. If the series has any desire to tell a plot at all, a few two or three parters are guaranteed.

I mean, it could theoretically be like the games with no end in sight for Sonic and Eggman's struggles, but I assume they will have some sort of overarching villain who they'd beat by the last episode, only for them or someone else to threaten in the next season.

Once more, they better not pull the Naugus Eyes bull. I will sue someone I swear.

Openings also vary. While Regular Show basically doesn't have a theme song, Adventure Time's is kind of on the longer side.

That's true, even though lately Cartoon Network's shows have been utilizing very short themes. Even Adventure Time's only rounds out to about 25 to 30 seconds? Somewhere around there. Although in animated TV, 30 seconds is an invaluable amount of time, so I suppose it is important in the long run. Shows like Adventure Time and Regular Show do prove that it's capable to tell coherent, and in some cases, rather ambitious stories in the span of 11 minutes, so if we got a few arcs or two-parters every now and then, I think I'd be fine with a more comedic direction, as long as that wasn't all we got.

Whatever the theme song is, I hope it is catchy.

I fully expect to sing it with everyone in the crowd at Sonic Boom 2014, if nothing else. Let's hope they will at least kick the theme tune our way prior to release date...

Whatever the theme song is, I hope it is catchy.

I fully expect to sing it with everyone in the crowd at Sonic Boom 2014, if nothing else. Let's hope they will at least kick the theme tune our way prior to release date...

Well, if the show is called SONIC BOOM and you want to sing it at SONIC BOOM, then I guess the logical choice for a theme song is...

Lazy Days- Living In Paradise

• Thumbs Up 9