Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

I've been waiting since the really weird final season of Sonic X for a new series. Really hope they don't screw this up, this is their chance to make Sonic "popular" again.

I'm pretty excited for this, but dang... Those character designs look a bit off. Especially Knuckles.

But, asides from that. Looks like we're in for something great!

I don't think a whole lot is changing. It airs in a year, which means they really need to start on production now.

This.

52 episodes is a huge order to fill in a year, they'll either be starting very soon or are already well into production. Changing the characters now would push the show back into pre-production which I really don't see happening.

I think if you're not still happy with the designs (which we still haven't seen) then I think by now, you're pretty much screwed. Time to get over them.

As for all this "backlash Sega is getting over the designs"....how many times do I need to point this out.....WE HAVEN'T SEEN THE DESIGNS!!!!!!YAAARGGGHHHG!!!!11!!

Probably a joke on his part. (Though, I WOULD crack up at hearing Ella's voice come out of Amy. XD)

• Thumbs Up 2

Probably a joke on his part. (Though, I WOULD crack up at hearing Ella's voice come out of Amy. XD)

Probably, but after Jaleel's extensive roles in Sonic Underground, I'm willing to believe anything. XP

If the assets are already made and the animation is already being worked on, then there isn't too much hope. You could hypothetically change the character models and re-render the animation, considering it's all in 3D, but you'd better believe that Knuckles' shape and form plays a part with the rest of their sets and characters. Sometimes swapping models won't work.

It's a shame, really. I am still trying to figure out what was going through their heads to even consider making Knuckles look so radically different. Beyond that, Takashi Iizuka saying that it's okay rattles my brain even more. What on earth is happening over there in Sonic Team HQ?!

This is a question I ask myself for every arbitrary design decision on their part.

Jwr5tCK.gif

Alright, if thats the case. If Roids the steroid induced freakshow is going to replace my favorite character then no amount of Mike Pollock is going to save this trainwreck.

Yeah, petty, I know but I figure if these character designs are really all finalized like you say then god knows what else is bastardized, and I wasn't looking forward to another AOSTH in CGI form anyways.

Have fun, See you guys in 6 years! hopefully the next show will follow some common concepts.

For the record, I still think it's silly to compleltey write of this show without seeing an episode, or scene, or clip, or anything beyond a picture. At least wait to then to shit on in and leave it behind.

Edited by SoniManbeast

So, been watching this thread for a while, and  I decided to put my two cents in.

Honestly, I have no idea what to expect from this. On the one hand, I sort of like the design hints with those silhouette mock-ups for...most of them. I wouldn't mind if they gave everyone a bit more clothing or different outfits if they looked alright. Certainly, the comedy-action route could take a bad turn, but you never know.

A few others have said that they hope that some of the "new characters" could be old, forgotten heroes and villains from games past. I have to say, so do I. Ever since Bark and Bean's revival in the Archie comics, it's made me wonder how they could be relevant elsewhere in the franchise.

And, of course, it's impossible for me to ignore the elephant...er, echidna in the room. Seriously, what did they do to Knuckles? It'd be one thing if they upped his height and muscle mass a little, but that seems like an awfully big change. How the heck is he going to glide? Are his dreads longer to match? And the gloves...well, they aren't really an issue for me, so I can let that one go since he still has his trademark knuckles..

The main thing that worries me, though, isn't so much the look as much as what it could imply for his personality. Like others have said before me, I really hope they don't make him the typical big, strong dumb guy. He may have become the game series' comedic punching bag as of late, but it doesn't mean...oh, right. COMEDY-action...Well,there's still a chance they won't go that route, right?

...right?

Seriously, though, I just hope they give him a little more dignity on here than the games have lately. He's not my favorite character or anything, but the dude still deserves to catch a break.

Overall, while I'm a little wary of this series, I truly do hope it turns out good. Maybe not good enough to change the games...but, we'll see.

Edited by Potada
  • Thumbs Up 1

Now that Mike Pollock's confirmed as voicing Dr. Eggman and posted he might be an under study for Amy, does this mean we get to hear Ella the Maid's voice again? I'll take it over Cindy Robinson any day, I'm dead serious.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just as long as they don't try to be all EPIC WEEN with the show and sling memes all over the place, I'll be fine with it.

• Thumbs Up 2

^ Lol, you mean like Archie does?

I wouldn't mind Sonic breaking the 4th wall now and then like he did in AoStH.

But I got a feeling that's not what they're going for.

TL;DR: Cartoon Network is long gone from those dark days you've been talking about. Also, what does the Boston bombing even have to do with Cartoon Network?

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/17070830/#.UlvYwlCTjxA

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/09/news/newsmakers/cartoon_network/

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/city_region/breaking_news/2007/02/cartoon_network_1.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX-wCWJLJMs

As far as the "dark days" of live action are concerned, they haven't backed down from that focus entirely. Its true that they've scaled down the number of shows, but as Incredible Crew and their most recent movie they're coming out with may prove, they're far from done with it. Anything that isn't animation coming out of the Cartoon Network is out of place in my eyes.

If we're arguing network quality (or in this case, lack thereof), I only need point you to Uncle Grandpa, MAD, The Annoying Orange, etc. If we go back only a year or two, I could also point you to Secret Mountain Fort Awesome or The Problem Solverz. Seeing as how you mentioned Uncle Grandpa explicitly in your post, I'll go ahead and tell you how terrible it is; I've seen enough episodes of it already to come to that personal verdict. And while we're on that subject, I'll also mention that the creator of SMFA and Uncle Grandpa are the same person, meaning they hired him back after his first failure to work on a second. Why? Neither show did/is doing very well in the ratings. Neither show has positive critical reception, and I've never met anyone who enjoys either one of them, personally.

And DC Nation? Its alright. Don't get me started on Teen Titans Go! or any of that mess.

This new show? I havn't seen it yet, and therefore, I reserve judgement until I do. I even had the first episode of Uncle Grandpa DVR'd on its premiere date, and I didn't walk in with low expectations. In the end, however, I came away with the impression that its simply another one of those shows that attempts to be far too random for its own good with little to no substance. I don't think that CN has improved by any huge margin. Baby steps, maybe, but miles... certainly not.

Edited by Cyalume
  • Thumbs Up 2

What about making a Sonic Boom subforum, where we can discuss different parts of the show?

I think that will be most prudent when the show itself comes out. Lost World has its own subforum, yes, but it also has a lot of meat to dig into... we only have silhouettes and some vague descriptions for Boom.

inb4 the theme song is a short remix of Sonic 4's theme.

Given the trolling in Generations I can see this happening.

If it's a lyrical theme I wonder who will do it...

Freaking Sonic Underground somehow made it to 40 episodes.

That is undeniably the worst Sonic show and a terrible cartoon in general, yet somehow it ran longer than SatAM.

Beyond reasons already stated, Underground was the first Sonic show to be made with computer-assisted animation. This likely brought down production costs a ton; compare to how SatAM is basically cartoon characters slapped on a rather ornate painting. I can't imagine that was very cheap with how detailed the backgrounds could get.

^ Lol, you mean like Archie does?

I wouldn't mind Sonic breaking the 4th wall now and then like he did in AoStH.

But I got a feeling that's not what they're going for.

No, that's in moderation. I'm talking about what you see with most internet comedians, like memes piled ontop of memes, and boy we have even a side of memes with those memes.

inb4 the theme song is a short remix of Sonic 4's theme.

Connotations to an infamous game aside, the main theme for Sonic 4 is a good composition - It's definitely a very Sonic-esque composition, and a quite excellent follow-up to Sonic and Knuckles' theme, in my eyes. It just had not-too-hot instrumentation, but if it's gonna be a remix, I can assume that to be improved drastically.

Of course, that still doesn't mean people wouldn't hate it... *shrugs*

• 2 weeks later...

So it would seem that there are some clips of the show doing the rounds at various trade shows. In the October issue of Toys N Playthings, Licensing Manager Sissel Henno is quoted as saying...

having just announce the new animation for Sonic. Sonic Boom, it's been great to show some clips, and we already have some partners across the glove including lagardere entertainment and cartoon network in the US, where Sonic Boom will broadcast next year

So there must be at least a pilot ready, or some kind of sequence which helps illustrate what the show will be about. (Think something along these lines).

Now, this line came from an article about Brand Licensing Europe, which was held a few weeks ago, if Sonic Boom was shown there, it would explain the huge lack of Sonic related news from that event.

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A2ivy1/ToysnPlaythings/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Ffree.yudu.com%2Fitem%2Fdetails%2F1419420%2FToys-n-Playthings- (page 92)

• Thumbs Up 4

Oooo, makes me wonder when they'll show some clips to the public... it never hurts to reveal a few teasers to help generate hype!

When do cartoons usually start showing previews, though? For all we know it won't be until Summer of next year (what with Sonic Boom 2014 and the like) where they start showing some clips, but I really hope they'll throw us a few crumbs sometime soon.

I'm hoping they at least reveal the finished character designs by the end of the year.  The year before Sonic X aired, we already knew Chris' name and what he looked like, so we knew who to project our anger onto long in advance so it didn't come as a surprise.  So if we could just see a bit of the character designs and the animation in action before 2014, that would be nice.

Ooh, this is exciting. Hope somebody manages to upload these clips to youtube soon. Can't wait to see this in action.

Ooh, this is exciting. Hope somebody manages to upload these clips to youtube soon. Can't wait to see this in action.

The question is, were cameras allowed into the room?

Assuming there were in fact showings of the show, there are sometimes very strict rules on recording...

Furthermore, this was at a brand licensing expo; most of the attendees would thus be professional businessmen who wouldn't want to break the rules, or record footage for that matter.

We'll likely need to just wait for an official release in a few months' time. sad.png