Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

Aw man. Well as long as they keep these ugly designs out of the games i'll be a happy camper.

What ugly designs? We haven't seen enough to draw any conclusions. For all we know, Knuckles could end up looking better than we expect.

Aw man. Well as long as they keep these ugly designs out of the games i'll be a happy camper.

angry-dwight.gif

WE HAVEN'T SEEN THE DESIGNS!!!!!!!1!!!!11!

Can we at least wait until we've seen more than a silhouette before we start moaning about how shit and ugly they are. Fair enough if you're put off by the silhouettes, but you can't comment on the actual designs because you haven't seen them yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't care, keep them out. let the designs and and anything else from this show stay in its own corner of hell the universe along with SX, SATAM/Comics, OVA, SU, AOSTH, and the games. we all function fine without all of us clashing together.

As for spinoff games, if were talking recent Sonic X only had 1 spinoff game it was for the Leapster:

Along with the learning bullshit it was basically Baby's 1st Sonic The Hedgehog using a weird mesh of Sonic 3 and Advance sprites.

SATAM was supposed to have a game, Sonic Mars, but that turned into X-treme and I guess you can count Spinball too. and ASOTH had Mean Bean Machine but that hardly had anything to do with the show.

Point is, SEGA never made any worthwhile Spinoff show games, so don't worry about it unless this show eclipises everything and becomes mega popular, then god save us all.... Edited by goku262002

As I've mentioned before I am really curious if this could possibly be the Sonic version of MLP in terms of cultural impact, given the writing team. Heck, if I were SEGA I'd be deliberately TRYING to find the things that make MLP so popular specifically so they could be emulated. The tsunami that show caused is simply insane, and getting something similar for Sonic would enormously change the brand's fortunes.

If it was that big, however, I could definitely see the games being altered to include something related to it. Once the Boomers overshadow the game fans, it would be good financial sense to alter the games to cater to Boomer interests, at least to an extent.

On the other hand SEGA could just be learning to not be as controlling and thus allowing variation within the multiverse again. With the transformation the Archie comics underwent recently, however, I'm not really so sure.

Edited by Ogilvie

As I've mentioned before I am really curious if this could possibly be the Sonic version of MLP in terms of cultural impact, given the writing team. Heck, if I were SEGA I'd be deliberately TRYING to find the things that make MLP so popular specifically so they could be emulated. The tsunami that show caused is simply insane, and getting something similar for Sonic would enormously change the brand's fortunes.

If it was that big, however, I could definitely see the games being altered to include something related to it. Once the Boomers overshadow the game fans, it would be good financial sense to alter the games to cater to Boomer interests, at least to an extent.

On the other hand SEGA could just be learning to not be as controlling and thus allowing variation within the multiverse again. With the transformation the Archie comics underwent recently, however, I'm not really so sure.

If they do take notes from MLP then I really hope we don't get something along the lines of equestria girls (that just screams shipping).

Dave Polsky has written a number of different shows in many different styles, including MLP, some of the Pokémon dub episodes, Rugrats, and more.  I doubt that he was considered purely because of his contributions to MLP.

Plus, I think if they wanted to take hints from the show, I think they'd do more by hiring the artists and musical staff, which as of yet we haven't confirmed.  Also, despite how large the "Brony" fandom is, they actually make up a very small portion of Hasbro's total sales revenue, so it wouldn't be a very marketable decision.

Plus, I think if they wanted to take hints from the show, I think they'd do more by hiring the artists and musical staff, which as of yet we haven't confirmed.

Oh I'm just having wishful thinking is all. I don't even know if anything MLP-like would work for SEGA. Whereas MLP was pretty much just a bunch of toys for a good decade or two before FiM if memory serves, Sonic's had a great deal of well-publicised titles that often don't do well critically. I could see a lot of adults rejecting any Sonic cartoon for that reason alone; guilt by association is powerful.  

Also, despite how large the "Brony" fandom is, they actually make up a very small portion of Hasbro's total sales revenue, so it wouldn't be a very marketable decision.

I am almost positive a Brony-like influx of fans would benefit SEGA a lot more than Habsro, which is a much more varied company and not ultimately leaning on one franchise as memory serves. The sheer amount of fanaticism would greatly assist with base building, similar to what a politician does when they try to energise their voters.

Oh I'm just having wishful thinking is all. I don't even know if anything MLP-like would work for SEGA. Whereas MLP was pretty much just a bunch of toys for a good decade or two before FiM if memory serves, Sonic's had a great deal of well-publicised titles that often don't do well critically. I could see a lot of adults rejecting any Sonic cartoon for that reason alone; guilt by association is powerful.  

MLP has had its share of animated shows and direct-to-video movies since forever, so the stigma attached to them was and is still prevalent to both the fandom and those outside of it.  I think if MLP can capture a more diverse audience with something that is relatable to many different audiences, Sonic can too, despite his other blunders in terms of animation.  I just don't think that Polsky writing for them has anything to do with such an attempt, nor do I think it would be inherently successful since Polsky is perhaps the least influential writer in the series.

I am almost positive a Brony-like influx of fans would benefit SEGA a lot more than Habsro, which is a much more varied company and not ultimately leaning on one franchise as memory serves. The sheer amount of fanaticism would greatly assist with base building, similar to what a politician does when they try to energise their voters.

I suppose you're right, considering the "target audience" for Sonic is a lot closer to the brony fanbase than MLP is.

angry-dwight.gif

WE HAVEN'T SEEN THE DESIGNS!!!!!!!1!!!!11!

Can we at least wait until we've seen more than a silhouette before we start moaning about how shit and ugly they are. Fair enough if you're put off by the silhouettes, but you can't comment on the actual designs because you haven't seen them yet.

I don't see why we need anything more than a silhouette to make out his general shape

• Thumbs Up 6

Exactly. Its not hard to make out what a design is like by looking at a silhouette. I can already tell they have this really boxy shaping to them compared to the smooth, rounded and bendy official look; almost Crash-Bandicoot-like, or similar to the new TMNT, that Green Lantern show, or Beware the Batman.

And come on. Is it that hard to tell that Knuckles ain't gonna be a pretty sight no matter what way you spin it. :P

Also we had the scary side of the brony fanbase a long time ago, back in the days of Sonic X, Heroes, and Shadow's game; where AMVs, recolors, fanfiction and generally creepy stuff were the only thing we were known for. To go back to that is nothing short of.. well, terrifying. XD

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 4

And come on. Is it that hard to tell that Knuckles ain't gonna be a pretty sight no matter what way you spin it. tongue.png

Yes it is. Like I said before, a muscular build could work for Knuckles. I don't get why people are assuming he'll be some kind of monstrosity just because of a silhouette.

In terms of this show getting a game, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this got some sort of ios/android game, similar to what Pacman got for his new show. 

Something quick with a free to play setup, seems to be where tie-in games are headed these days. I could live with that.

As for the designs making it into the main series, I don't really get why folk are so worried about it, we've had four series and an OVA so far over the series history and none of the design changes from those made it into the series (outside of their tie-in titles). The AoStH and SatAM redesigns of Robotnik were just as drastic as this Knux design looks to be, yet neither made it into the games. Pretty sure we can just relax on that front.

As for the designs making it into the main series, I don't really get why folk are so worried about it, we've had four series and an OVA so far over the series history and none of the design changes from those made it into the series (outside of their tie-in titles). The AoStH and SatAM redesigns of Robotnik were just as drastic as this Knux design looks to be, yet neither made it into the games. Pretty sure we can just relax on that front.

But the fact that many elements from those shows were incorporated into later games, alongside the fact that Sega is now run by different staff than at the time, leaves plenty of room for apprehensiveness.  Though I honestly don't think they'd use the show's designs, either.

The biggest reasons to suspect a possible adaption of designs are:

1. SEGA has generally been more strict about uniformity of the canon since Adventure. It's very possible they're just loosening up a bit, however, given that come Iizuka's tenure, he apparently started undoing a lot of things (such as SEGA Japan being the dictator of everything) that he felt made Sonic lackluster in the mid-2000s. Maybe loosening the screws on uniformity is as much part of this idea as was outsourcing more of the games' development to overseas branches.

2. This one is purely speculation, but Sonic is about overdue for a redesign. No, his "quills are shorter" thing doesn't count. That's a minor cosmetic change. I mean a full-fledged design change; barring the occasional adjustment based on the artist or graphics engine, Sonic has more or less had the same design since 1998. Mascots are usually altered every decade or so. I'm not saying he needs a redesign, so much as companies have this bizarre fixation on altering the way their mascot looks, probably to appeal to a new generation. That he looks to have different attire and quill style in Boom lends credence to the idea they want to "reinvent" Sonic. I wouldn't be surprised if they did export the redesigns to the games at some point, though it would seem odd to do so given their shaky ground, and the fact Knuckles, well, his is by far the most drastic from what we can see.

Back in the early 90s, there was lots of reason for Sonic to look different between the games and cartoons I think, given the different graphic capabilities of each medium (and the artistic teams involved being different). With CGI, the difference between the game model and the cartoon model is easily erased, making it seem odd they'd redesign them for the show rather than just use the in-game models (or some modification). Unless perhaps, this had some greater purpose behind it...? SEGA has established they will happily throw their older fans under the bus to bring in new ones, so I really wouldn't be surprised if their plan was to attract a lot of youngsters with Boom, then change the games so the characters are recognisable therein; we diehards would most likely buy the game still anyway, so it'd be win-win for SEGA.

Edited by Ogilvie
  • Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, I am excited for these designs to be revealed (barring Knuckles) and don't mind  if the games and TV show to correlate closely together. Honestly, I would rather it be games impacting the show rather than the other way around, but consistency never hurts. I find it unlikely that the games will take after the show's design, but I understand where people are coming from thinking this.

I wonder if we're going to see any other game characters aside from the main cast and Dr. Eggman pop up for a guest appearance. An episode featuring Team Chaotix would be especially awesome, since we hardly ever get to see them in the games anymore. 

Edited by Chaos Incarnate

Honestly, I am excited for these designs to be revealed (barring Knuckles) and don't mind  if the games and TV show to correlate closely together. Honestly, I would rather it be games impacting the show rather than the other way around, but consistency never hurts. I find it unlikely that the games will take after the show's design, but I understand where people are coming from thinking this.

I wonder if we're going to see any other game characters aside from the main cast and DR Eggman pop up for a guest appearance. An episode featuring Team Chaotix would be especially awesome, since we hardly ever get to see them in the games anymore. 

The least I'm hoping for is that Knuckles' design in the image is simply just a teaser and the actual design in the show will look like the one seen in the games.

• Thumbs Up 2

The biggest reasons to suspect a possible adaption of designs are:

1. SEGA has generally been more strict about uniformity of the canon since Adventure. It's very possible they're just loosening up a bit, however, given that come Iizuka's tenure, he apparently started undoing a lot of things (such as SEGA Japan being the dictator of everything) that he felt made Sonic lackluster in the mid-2000s. Maybe loosening the screws on uniformity is as much part of this idea as was outsourcing more of the games' development to overseas branches.

2. This one is purely speculation, but Sonic is about overdue for a redesign. No, his "quills are shorter" thing doesn't count. That's a minor cosmetic change. I mean a full-fledged design change; barring the occasional adjustment based on the artist or graphics engine, Sonic has more or less had the same design since 1998. Mascots are usually altered every decade or so. I'm not saying he needs a redesign, so much as companies have this bizarre fixation on altering the way their mascot looks, probably to appeal to a new generation. That he looks to have different attire and quill style in Boom lends credence to the idea they want to "reinvent" Sonic. I wouldn't be surprised if they did export the redesigns to the games at some point, though it would seem odd to do so given their shaky ground, and the fact Knuckles, well, his is by far the most drastic from what we can see.

Back in the early 90s, there was lots of reason for Sonic to look different between the games and cartoons I think, given the different graphic capabilities of each medium (and the artistic teams involved being different). With CGI, the difference between the game model and the cartoon model is easily erased, making it seem odd they'd redesign them for the show rather than just use the in-game models (or some modification). Unless perhaps, this had some greater purpose behind it...? SEGA has established they will happily throw their older fans under the bus to bring in new ones, so I really wouldn't be surprised if their plan was to attract a lot of youngsters with Boom, then change the games so the characters are recognisable therein; we diehards would most likely buy the game still anyway, so it'd be win-win for SEGA.

Consistency is fine, as long as it is doing something positive and not something negative to everything. You can be too consistent to where you make everything dull and predictable because if it happened once, if this thing over here must be consistent with this, that means creativity is starting to be taken away. That's the main reason I never liked game adaptations for media. People feel that if it is already there, that means we must copy it word for word and make everything predictable. That's why I disliked the middle of Sonic X because it was nothing but game adaptations. It was so predictable because we all knew how it would all end. That's no fun. Just make sure you are making only the right hings consistent and not EVERYTHING consistent to where you make it boring and predictable.

As for forcing a redesign and such to attract the younger audience, yeah I don't see that as a good idea. Look, I know you people have told me many times here and in other topics that you should appeal to the general audience and pretty much not care what your core audience things. Yes, I know that generals can make you more money, but acting like your older audience is something ti ignore is not good business practice either. Just because it has the Sonic name on it, with how this fanbase is these days, no, it doesn't guarantee they will buy it.

Look at Lost World, half the people on this site are trying to scare people away from buying the game because it doesnt fit something they like. How would this be any different? People here would not like it and then try and discourage people from watching it because they don't like it.

Also, the obvious thing, people don't like the design of Knuckles because with how shows are these days, if they are going to overly muscle him, that means they are likely to drop his IQ down to that of the grapes he enjoys eating. Cartoons are bad about that. If someone is muscular, that means make them a total idiot. That is what I'm sure a lot of people are worried about besides his different look. People can get over redesigns in time, it is just a small shock to the system. Changing their personality though can really upset people.

• Thumbs Up 1

The least I'm hoping for is that Knuckles' design in the image is simply just a teaser and the actual design in the show will look like the one seen in the games.

Now aren't we all XD. I unfortunately don't think this is going to happen, but it could very well work with the tone of the series and how Knuckles' is portrayed. I have a feeling they maybe started out wanting to use the game design, but after writing a couple episodes, the writers thought this new design would fit Knuckles in the show much better. Granted I don't really like it and would prefer they stick to the game design, but I'm trying to prepare myself to get used to it, which is what we're all going to need to do if they're sticking with it.

I can almost see it being a bit like the new Mickey Mouse shorts. Or as others have said something along the lines of MLP/Adventure Time etc. The outlines and shapes of the characters do look very strongly pronounced, a rough style as opposed to a detailed one.

With the short episodes I can see the plots being rather quick to finish and more than likely full of today's popular random/silly dialogue and jokes even if they have a proper order and continuing overall plot. It makes sense to emulate the popular shows that are on currently. They won't be reinventing the wheel after all.

As for the designs going into the games. Unless it's insanely popular I wouldn't think there's much to worry about. But even if if happened, so what? It's not like it hasn't happened before. The "classic" design was and still is well loved yet they changed that. Perhaps sometime in the future, like then, because of markets and times and perceptions changing, he will get a redesign. Perhaps it might even bring the division between some fans closer too. As the "modern fans" will know how the "classic fans" felt after losing the short pudgy hedgehog we grew up with.

As for the designs going into the games. Unless it's insanely popular I wouldn't think there's much to worry about. But even if if happened, so what? It's not like it hasn't happened before. The "classic" design was and still is well loved yet they changed that. Perhaps sometime in the future, like then, because of markets and times and perceptions changing, he will get a redesign. Perhaps it might even bring the division between some fans closer too. As the "modern fans" will know how the "classic fans" felt after losing the short pudgy hedgehog we grew up with.

Except claiming the current design isn't Sonic is completely ludicrous. Nothing about the core character is changed and he's instantly recognizable in either form. In the case of Knuckles, it's such a drastic change that the effort could've gone into a new character just as easily. There's also the fact that Knuckles was basically "big power in a small package," because despite looking no bigger or buffer than Sonic, he had great strength that rivaled/perhaps dwarfed the strength of other "Power" characters that came later (most of whom are bigger than Knuckles is). I think the other concern is that Knuckles has already suffered greatly from terrible writing, having devolved into a self-important dumbass who thinks he's better than everyone else but never does anything (and if Lost World is any indication, it'll remain that way, sadly). Now there is some concern that, in addition to that, is he'll further devolve into dumb muscle because of the design (though I'm going to give the creative team the benefit of the doubt on this--if he at least acts like Knuckles always has, but being somewhat smarter than his current game incarnation, I'll be happy).

I liken it to Namco's proposed change of Klonoa for the Wii remake (at least in the US) in which the huge alteration practically changed him into a new character. Sonic getting green eyes and being slightly taller isn't a wild change. Eggman or Amy getting new outfits isn't a wild change. Beefing up Knuckles to the point that you wouldn't recognize him at first (and I didn't until I saw a hint of the claws in the silhouette--the other characters are instantly recognizable even if they don't appear to look exactly like they're game versions) seems like a wild change. At least that's my take.

I think "Sonic Boom" will be moderately successful, but I don't see the games' aesthetics being altered to reflect the show any time soon, if at all. If anything, we'll get a game based on this version of the property using these designs, but the main series will continue to use the original designs they've been using for the last 15 years,

Edited by Zaysho

Except claiming the current design isn't Sonic is completely ludicrous. Nothing about the core character is changed and he's instantly recognizable in either form. I liken it to Namco's proposed change of Klonoa for the Wii remake (at least in the US) in which the huge alteration practically changed him into a new character. Sonic getting green eyes and being slightly taller isn't a wild change. Eggman or Amy getting new outfits isn't a wild change. Beefing up Knuckles to the point that you wouldn't recognize him at first (and I didn't until I saw a hint of the claws in the silhouette--the other characters are instantly recognizable even if they don't appear to look exactly like they're game versions) seems like a wild change. At least that's my take.

Ah but using that same logic, beefing up knuckles and making him taller doesn't make him not Knuckles. 90% of people instantly knew it was him and the rest, as you say, noticed his "knuckles" and then knew. In that same logic again giving Sonic clothes or changing Amy's attire wouldn't make them not Sonic or not Amy. They will all still be instantly recognizable, especially once they are colored and in full view.

Knuckles taller and bigger look is no different to making Sonic taller and skinnier, which they did. It won't make him any less recognizable, especially once he's in full view standing next to the others. So saying a visual change in size will make him not Knuckles or recognizable is the same as saying "modern" Sonic isn't Sonic using that logic.

Ah but using that same logic, beefing up knuckles and making him taller doesn't make him not Knuckles. 90% of people instantly knew it was him and the rest, as you say, noticed his "knuckles" and then knew. In that same logic again giving Sonic clothes or changing Amy's attire wouldn't make them not Sonic or not Amy. They will all still be instantly recognizable, especially once they are colored and in full view.

Knuckles taller and bigger look is no different to making Sonic taller and skinnier, which they did. It won't make him any less recognizable, especially once he's in full view standing next to the others. So saying a visual change in size will make him not Knuckles or recognizable is the same as saying "modern" Sonic isn't Sonic using that logic.

Touché, but my larger point was that just from those silhouettes Knuckles stands out as not being instantly recognizable. I could tell instantly who was Sonic, Tails and Amy the moment I saw those silhouettes. That says a lot about their character designs. Yes, Knuckles is more obvious and all, but at first glance, you can't blame some people for mistaking him for a new character. This may very well change by the time the final designs are revealed.

My thing with the whole "Modern"/"Classic" arguments is that the changes are so minor, that the characters are still unmistakably who they've always been. Just at a glance, you wouldn't think the "Modern" Sonic is completely different from the "Classic" one, would you? I suppose Amy doesn't quite survive that test, but even then I think her core personality and appearance (pink hedgehog, but with a decidedly more "Western" flair in her appearance now) comes through clearly. I never asked "Wait, who's this?" when I first played Sonic Adventure. I do get what you're saying, and maybe this incarnation of Knuckles will still retain that core character (and, regardless of how I feel about the possibility of this design, I think that's equally, if not more, important). In my mind at least, I think altering Knuckles in this particular fashion is a misstep, but I'm willing to see where this all goes.

Edited by Zaysho

Yeah I see what you mean. I've never been one for saying the "modern" Sonic isn't Sonic. I don't mind his new look. Didn't stop me going crazy when Generations had "classic" in 3D tho haha. I am one of the guys that misses the classic gameplay tho, I love the 3D and 2D style they seem to have now, best of both worlds.

Anyway that's rather off topic. I can't wait to see more of this cartoon tho. It's gotten me really curious. Especially the part about Sonic facing a host of different baddies. I wonder who will make it in.

Anyway that's rather off topic. I can't wait to see more of this cartoon tho. It's gotten me really curious. Especially the part about Sonic facing a host of different baddies. I wonder who will make it in.

Actually, this is the first I've of heard of that, but honestly I haven't been following the details of this show very closely. It would be nice if they reach beyond the "SegaSonic" universe and include villains from other Sonic media. Or make up some new ones. Or maybe reach back for an unexpected revival for Fang the Sniper (I'll never call him "Nack," sorry). I'd be all for that.

Actually, this is the first I've of heard of that, but honestly I haven't been following the details of this show very closely. It would be nice if they reach beyond the "SegaSonic" universe and include villains from other Sonic media. Or make up some new ones. Or maybe reach back for an unexpected revival for Fang the Sniper (I'll never call him "Nack," sorry). I'd be all for that.

Haha I'm secretly hoping that they do a big revival of Fang. Announce he's gunna be in ASRT as part of their DLC announcements (since he did too their Sonic character poll), mention he will be in this cartoon and that he will be in the last exclusive to Nintendo game haha. A man can dream right :P