Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

Actually, this is the first I've of heard of that, but honestly I haven't been following the details of this show very closely. It would be nice if they reach beyond the "SegaSonic" universe and include villains from other Sonic media. Or make up some new ones. Or maybe reach back for an unexpected revival for Fang the Sniper (I'll never call him "Nack," sorry). I'd be all for that.

Is there something wrong with calling him Nack? Honestly, I've seen so much more of him being called Nack, that I naturally call him Nack myself over Fang. Is either one of them fully official though or could be interchangeable or something like they are both right and it is part of a full name that includes both names?

Well either way, bringing him back would be a nice villain alternative too people like Eggman, the rouge's, Shadow, and such like that.

Is there something wrong with calling him Nack? Honestly, I've seen so much more of him being called Nack, that I naturally call him Nack myself over Fang. Is either one of them fully official though or could be interchangeable or something like they are both right and it is part of a full name that includes both names?

Well either way, bringing him back would be a nice villain alternative too people like Eggman, the rouge's, Shadow, and such like that.

Fang was the japanese name, but officialy his US name is Nack

I think it's like Dr. Eggman these days, where one is an alias and the other is his real name. At least, that's what Generations seems to suggest...

Not particularly, I just prefer "Fang the Sniper" to "Nack the Weasel." The "Fang" name fits more the descriptive name convention of the majority of the cast, and I like the sound of the name better and my brain defaults to that name when I see him. There's nothing wrong with Nack though and it's still official. I admit, I saw "Nack" first as a kid (Archie's "Triple Trouble" adaptation), but pretty much every other form of media outside of the Archie Comics still used the "Fang" name, even in the US. Most notable examples I can think of were Sonic Drift 2 and Sonic the Fighters. Sonic Drift 2 also used the "Eggman" name for... well, you know who, but I think they actually used both names in that manual.

I think it's like Dr. Eggman these days, where one is an alias and the other is his real name. At least, that's what Generations seems to suggest...

Well, that was suggested since the dub of Sonic Adventure, and made more clear with Sonic Adventure 2, when the Japanese side officially adopted the "Robotnik" name. Though it's probably been dropped/forgotten about since then, because the name didn't even turn up in Shadow the Hedgehog even when referring to Gerald. The Generations dub is something else altogether.

Edited by Zaysho

true, although more recently in the archie comics he has been reffered to as Nack the Fanged Sniper (cant wait till he comes back in that btw)

Well, that was suggested since the dub of Sonic Adventure, and made more clear with Sonic Adventure 2, when the Japanese side officially adopted the "Robotnik" name. Though it's probably been dropped/forgotten about since then, because the name didn't even turn up in Shadow the Hedgehog even when referring to Gerald. The Generations dub is something else altogether.

Actually I was referring to the wanted poster in Act 1 of City Escape. It refers to him as "Nack the Weasel aka Fang the Sniper", which makes it sound like one of them is an alias. Since he's a criminal, it would certainly make sense!

I'm fucking scared about this show. I'm someone who believes that Sonic has never had the best cartoons. AOSTH is a guilty pleasure of mine, SatAM has grown on me thanks to my recent interest in the Archieverse, Underground is awful, and the less said about Sonic X, the better. What scares me about this show is the age demographic being set to 6-11 year olds. From recent animation today, the demographic age of 6-11 reminds me of the worst cartoons, such as Fanboy and Chum-Chum, and... *shudders* Ultimate Spider-Man...

I still need to see a clip before I really start judging, but because animation nowadays (Friendship is Magic, Regular Show, and Gravity Falls are exceptions), done for younger kids are always the kinds of shows that don't care, and are just stupid. Kids need to be introduced to story-telling, characterization, development, themes, setting, drama, not toilet humor and things smacking their heads against the wall.
Sorry if I sounded a bit preachy, but that's how I view the situation. When the first teaser trailer comes, I'll be wearing my analysis glasses, because I'm extremely skeptical about this show.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually I was referring to the wanted poster in Act 1 of City Escape. It refers to him as "Nack the Weasel aka Fang the Sniper", which makes it sound like one of them is an alias. Since he's a criminal, it would certainly make sense!

Oh. Sorry, I thought you were talking about Eggman. Heh.

Kids need to be introduced to story-telling, characterization, development, themes, setting, drama, not toilet humor and things smacking their heads against the wall.

Sorry if I sounded a bit preachy, but that's how I view the situation. When the first teaser trailer comes, I'll be wearing my analysis glasses, because I'm extremely skeptical about this show.

You and I have the same concerns then. But I still hold to "As long as it's not Adventure Time with Sonic characters, I'll give it a chance." If it's even something on par with Nickelodeon's current TMNT cartoon (lots of action, decent humor, overarching storyline with character development) I'll be happy.

true, although more recently in the archie comics he has been reffered to as Nack the Fanged Sniper (cant wait till he comes back in that btw)

I hope that name wasn't something that was in the most recent SU and was spoiled for me, because it hasn't arrived in the mail just yet.

Even so, that's sort of what I was getting at either way. If one or the other name was proper, or if they would both be part of the real name. That way both were technically correct and neither person was wrong.

I hope that name wasn't something that was in the most recent SU and was spoiled for me, because it hasn't arrived in the mail just yet.

Even so, that's sort of what I was getting at either way. If one or the other name was proper, or if they would both be part of the real name. That way both were technically correct and neither person was wrong.

If I remember correctly, it's been used in a lot of the "roll calls" at the beginning of issues he appeared in over the last couple years. Based on the solicits and vague referencing, I don't think Fang's even in this current SU arc.

In any case, neither name is "wrong" just like how you aren't wrong for saying "Robotnik" instead of "Eggman." It comes down to personal preference. In my case, I prefer Fang while everyone else seems to like Nack, but both names are applicable to the same character, and within the fandom everyone knows who you're talking about. Newcomers may have a problem though...

Edited by Zaysho

If I remember correctly, it's been used in a lot of the "roll calls" at the beginning of issues he appeared in over the last couple years. Based on the solicits and vague referencing, I don't think Fang's even in this current SU arc.

In any case, neither name is "wrong" just like how you aren't wrong for saying "Robotnik" instead of "Eggman." It comes down to personal preference. In my case, I prefer Fang while everyone else seems to like Nack, but both names are applicable to the same character, and within the fandom everyone knows who you're talking about. Newcomers may have a problem though...

If that's the case that it is what has been said over the past few years then okay. Still, if that is the case, I do think that likely is the best compromise between both sets of names. It incorporates both, just like how many places I've seen call the villian. Dr. Julian Kintober "Eggman" Robotnik or something along those lines.

ok What I'd like to see some old characters like Mighty for an example even though it'll never happen it'd be nice. Try and bring back something from the past with the new things happening for a wider variety.

• 4 weeks later...

5 things I want:

1. Shadow: For obvious reasons...

2. Silver: It will put his new voice actor to the test and they could do SOOO many funny things with the time travel

3. Super forms: Not just Super Sonic, but maybe Super Shadow, Silver or even Hyper Sonic

4: New Amy voice: Yet again, for obvious reasons...

5: Multiverse episode or story arc: They could do TONS of stuff with this, there could be references to Archie, Fleetway or even the mainstream universe's (I WANT A SCOURGE CAMEO!!!)

6: Fan characters: I know what your thinking but hear me out, ALL of the Sonic cartoons have exclusive characters that gain a fair bit of respect, so what if SEGA could take in fan character designs and put them in as one episode characters or just background characters since there have been no background anthro characters in Sonic for ages, and admit it...IT WOULD BE AWESOME IF WE SAW SHADIC!!! 

5 things I want:

1. Shadow

2. Silver

3. Super forms

4: New Amy voice

5: Multiverse episode or story arc (Scourge cameo?)

It's fine to have wish lists for upcoming media, but posts like these need explanation backing your choices; otherwise, they count as spam. xP

I'm fucking scared about this show. I'm someone who believes that Sonic has never had the best cartoons. AOSTH is a guilty pleasure of mine, SatAM has grown on me thanks to my recent interest in the Archieverse, Underground is awful, and the less said about Sonic X, the better. What scares me about this show is the age demographic being set to 6-11 year olds. From recent animation today, the demographic age of 6-11 reminds me of the worst cartoons, such as Fanboy and Chum-Chum, and... *shudders* Ultimate Spider-Man...

I still need to see a clip before I really start judging, but because animation nowadays (Friendship is Magic, Regular Show, and Gravity Falls are exceptions), done for younger kids are always the kinds of shows that don't care, and are just stupid. Kids need to be introduced to story-telling, characterization, development, themes, setting, drama, not toilet humor and things smacking their heads against the wall.

I'd argue against Friendship is Magic in its current state (or rather, it places its care in the wrong places, leaving a mixed bag for the fandom, and the fact that the show was created on the sole basis to market toys to children does not help matters), but yeah, otherwise I agree. Sonic Boom is a time bomb waiting to happen, and I fear that the games might use the TV show's character designs to replace the current game ones... mostly because Iizuka himself approved of those designs. Considering how a lot of modern cartoons are today, along with how Sonic games themselves have been handled recently; Colors and Lost World in particular, it's very difficult for me to be optimistic for this show as it stands as of now. Perhaps after watching it, I, by a slim chance caused by a miracle, might like it, but it's highly unlikely as of right now. As to what extent these of how good/bad the designs actually are, remains to be seen, but I am definitely not pleased by those silhouettes. I'm not happy with what has been shown so far, but I'll reserve judgement until we see more of it.

I'd argue against Friendship is Magic in its current state (or rather, it places its care in the wrong places, leaving a mixed bag for the fandom, and the fact that the show was created on the sole basis to market toys to children does not help matters), but yeah, otherwise I agree. Sonic Boom is a time bomb waiting to happen, and I fear that the games might use the TV show's character designs to replace the current game ones... mostly because Iizuka himself approved of those designs. Considering how a lot of modern cartoons are today, along with how Sonic games themselves have been handled recently; Colors and Lost World in particular, it's very difficult for me to be optimistic for this show as it stands as of now. Perhaps after watching it, I, by a slim chance caused by a miracle, might like it, but it's highly unlikely as of right now. As to what extent these of how good/bad the designs actually are, remains to be seen, but I am definitely not pleased by those silhouettes. I'm not happy with what has been shown so far, but I'll reserve judgement until we see more of it.

I love how everyone see just one screenshot of character's shadows and begin to panic. You need to remember that the company needs to expand to a new generation of audience and therefore it is going to be slightly different than what we've seen in the past. Before any body starts stating "It's the end of Sonic!" "They are running the franchise!" etc etc. these shows go through a lot of changes before they are even released to the public. Look at how Sonic X was suppose to turn out! 

I think people are jumping the gun a little in this topic. At least wait to see the ACTUAL CHARACTER first tongue.png . (Then we can start stating it's the end of the Sonic) 

I think Mike Pollock was a swell fellow on Project 24 the other day with the small crumbs he left for us.

Here's the big one: he said that while an official cast list hasn't been shown, and he can't tell us who's in it directly, each actor CAN confirm if they're performing in it or not. So if you want to see if Shadow appears, go bug Kirk Thornton, etc. As far as I know only Mike Pollock and Roger Craig Smith have confirmed their roles.

Now here's the other one. He blatantly said that the fanbase is wrong in their expectations if I heard correctly. Sure, could just be a sales move since he works for SEGA in that role, but still. I think he even said, and I quote, that he was "laughing."

I think I heard him say that he was able to get variety with the role but don't quote me on that I might be mis-attributing that since he said something similar about the Lost World discussion.

Something not relevant to the plot was the story he relayed to us. He said the whole cast was flown out to I forgot where and met each other for the first time over a nice dinner. Someone asked why they're all there and SEGA's reps tell them they're doing test recordings for a Sonic TV Show. Mike's thoughts were "Oh, well isn't that nice." (Something like that, it made me giggle in how he phrased it)

But yes. He can't tell us much but... he did give us something to work with.

• Thumbs Up 5

• 2 weeks later...

As memory serves, the imdb pages get vandalised a fair bit, so while it's good for reference, it's like wikipedia in how much it should be trusted.

Fortunately Mike Pollock did tell us the voice actors have clearance to tell us if they're in the cartoon or not, and who better than going straight to the source? Anyone with a pet character, that's the best way to get an idea if they'll appear.

I doubt Shadow would make an appearance but a part of me wonders if SEGA would be adventurous and allow him to appear as something of an antagonist?

That also makes me wonder how they're going to make the continuity work. How much of it will be similar to the games', and will it start at the beginning of the franchise, or throw us right into the action and cover the beginning later on?

>Continuity

Hahahahaha.

This is Sega we're talkign about. Of course they will be none. Each season/arc will have a different Earth where nobody would remember past adventures and actions.

Whoa, this show has Mark Banker as a developer? That makes me slightly more optimistic for Boom's tone- His Danny Phantom/Adventure Time episodes with a pretty equal focus on action and comedy were what I was imagining when hearing about this.

Not totally sold, but Banker's name makes me a bit more hopeful for this.

I'm just hoping that we won't get a repeat of AoStH, especially with Eggman... please don't let that happen.

• Thumbs Up 1