Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

This is so far from being official that it doubles over and becomes my new pipe dream for this series.

Drop your pitchforks and laugh with me for a minute. 

Honestly, I feel that the Sonic cast could benefit from a little unorthodox silliness like this. For a series that as of late has tried so hard to be an action-comedy as it is, the majority of the cast are as one-dimensional as can be. Even if the Sonic Boom turns out to be complete garbage, it should at least TRY to flesh out its characters beyond what we already have. 

tumblr_myvhteA90S1qiz705o1_500.png

I actually got a good chuckle from that. I'd take Flynn's word that it isn't official because... well, he'd have to know so he can write the comics (given SEGA's heavy involvement nowadays). Honestly, the biggest red flag is the mention of Fang; while he was a recurring character in the comics as recently as 2011, and a throwaway gag in Generations, I seriously doubt SEGA would ever use him, let alone in place of Charmy. Never mind using his Japanese name. EDIT: Come to think of it, using his Japanese name seems like the only thing that makes sense out of any of this.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Shadow and Rouge, according to this description, sound a little too much like Jessie and James from Pokémon?

And then there's "Evil Sonic"... hoo, boy. I don't think SEGA will ever touch this concept again. Scourge is already up in the air, and given Penders's apparent claim to the character/concept, I don't think they want to deal with any potential legal nonsense surrounding it.

Can't say I wouldn't want to try my hand at designing Blaze according to this description, even if it is fake. Sounds fun, actually.

I'll be surprised if any of this comes to pass, but I seriously doubt the games will be thrown away to make way for this cartoon, no matter what it does. Maybe a game based on "Sonic Boom" isn't too out there of an idea, but I don't see the primary SEGAverse getting a makeover like this any time soon.

So this is a reboot of the entire franchise? None of the previous games ever happened? And the next main stream Sonic game is going to be following in its stead? Sonic is dumb, Tails doesn't like adventuring with him, Knuckles is also (still) dumb, Shadow is lazy, Silver is a... villain....

EdwardNortonComputerShut.gif

Worst rumor ever.

Photosucket messed up the image.

So this is a reboot of the entire franchise? None of the previous games ever happened? And the next main stream Sonic game is going to be following in its stead? Sonic is dumb, Tails doesn't like adventuring with him, Knuckles is also (still) dumb, Shadow is lazy, Silver is a... villain....

edward-norton-laptop-gif.gif

Worst rumor ever.

Yeah, I just can't possibly see how this is more interesting or hell even good, even as a random alternate interpretation. Im sure if this was pitched anywhere else it would get the ire it kinda deserves/

Not even Shadow or Rouge deserves to be Eggman's Scratch and Grounder-esque lackey, I just think that's awful. And Evil Sonic? Come on, no one liked it when Archie did that bullshit.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only part of this that needs to be real is Hawaiian shirt Shadow.

Everything else I'm glad is fake.

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't know why any of you are acting like what we currently have( ie barely anything) is any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess if the games were changed because of this I'd be a little mad, but I don't see that happening (especially with Ian's confirmation, there's no way SEGA wouldn't let him know ahead of tiime.......probably...). If the show really is that different from the games, it'll just be a  completely harmless alternate continuity. Like literally every other Sonic cartoon.

I don't know why any of you are acting like what we currently have( ie barely anything) is any better.

Are we really going to do this?

• Thumbs Up 1

Because frankly some people think it is, as hard as it is to believe. :u

Characters being kind of bland and see little to no use is far better then what this Boom rumor is presenting. I thought all those Shadow debates between dedicated fans of the character would kinda hiss at something thats taking a proverbial dump on the character.

You don't know why people have differing opinions about the various canons?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm just saying, I'm at least curious. It'd be a pretty bold move on their part because of how different it sounds, and I'd at least be curious enough to watch, even if it turned out terrible.

Uuuuuhhh yeah pretty obvious this was a rumour. I mean...Evil Sonic, really? XD Not with Ken Penders around!

• Thumbs Up 2

Because frankly some people think it is, as hard as it is to believe. :u

Characters being kind of bland and see little to no use is far better then what this Boom rumor is presenting. I thought all those Shadow debates between dedicated fans of the character would kinda hiss at something thats taking a proverbial dump on the character.

They're literally not doing shit with him right now, what do I have to look forward to with him currently? Not a goddamn thing.

I may debate about Shadow's character, but I'm not adverse to change either if I liked the change.

I'm just saying, I'm at least curious. It'd be a pretty bold move on their part because of how different it sounds, and I'd at least be curious enough to watch, even if it turned out terrible.

Whether or not I watch it is not an issue, as I already said I would under the basis that this is presumably an alternate continuity like nearly every other Sonic cartoon and thus it's free to do nearly whatever it wants.

The part of the rumor I'm contending is awful is the part that says the games are going to be remade in the vain of this wacky-ass show. I can literally let everything else slide aside from that.

• Thumbs Up 4

Uuuuuhhh yeah pretty obvious this was a rumour. I mean...Evil Sonic, really? XD Not with Ken Penders around!

wait..... Ken penders? It is being made by the comic people?..... I guess I can tolerate their particular translation of Knuckles ;), but it is still not my fave :) . That makes me feel better about it as well :)

I'd rather SEGA fix what's wrong with the characters in the games rather than throw it all away, but that's me.

In any case, it's fine if they do whatever they want with the cartoon, as Nepenthe says. But it's better off as its own thing, just like the Archie comic or any other Sonic media. SEGA's made it a point to keep things separate, but familiar, for so long, why should "Sonic Boom" be where they change their policy about the games and spin-off and in such a radically different way (even if none of this is true, we do know "Sonic Boom" is already going to be a departure)?

EDIT:

wait..... Ken penders? It is being made by the comic people?..... I guess I can tolerate their particular translation of Knuckles wink.png, but it is still not my fave smile.png . That makes me feel better about it as well smile.png

I believe Gabz is referring to the fact that Penders made a claim to Evil Sonic as an original character (um...). And, honestly, I'd agree with her, considering how litigious the man is (Sonic Chronicles? Mega Collection?), SEGA wouldn't want him bothering them over something this idiotic. I doubt anyone from the comics are involved, and the only one who would be if that was the case, would probably be Ian Flynn.

I am speaking on the show itself, the games have gotten so barren and boring to me that I can't bring myself to care about that part. I doubt they'd do it anyway, it's the same as those people who wanted the SATAM characters in the game.

They're literally not doing shit with him right now, what do I have to look forward to with him currently? Not a goddamn thing.

I may debate about Shadow's character, but I'm not adverse to change either if I liked the change.

Change is fine, but not if it's bad change. Making Shadow into a bumbling, lazy asshole who wears a Hawaiian shirt is just kinda fucking stupid to me even in the context of a show like this.

Though admittedly i do have a bit of a bile fascination in seeing it play out.

• Thumbs Up 8

Yeah, I just can't possibly see how this is more interesting or hell even good, even as a random alternate interpretation. Im sure if this was pitched anywhere else it would get the ire it kinda deserves/

Not even Shadow or Rouge deserves to be Eggman's Scratch and Grounder-esque lackey, I just think that's awful.

They were his lackeys for a while in SA2, even if they both had ulterior motives, and that seemed to work fine. I can't really defend the specifics of Shadow's personality (or attire) except to say that not dragging along all the ULF backstory would let them shape him into a very different sort of character, but that seems like a pretty reasonable role for Rouge if they cut anything to do with GUN or being a spy from her character.

I'd rather SEGA fix what's wrong with the characters in the games rather than throw it all away, but that's me.

Starting over can be a kind of fixing.

Change is fine, but not if it's bad change. Making Shadow into a bumbling, lazy asshole who wears a Hawaiian shirt is just kinda fucking stupid to me even in the context of a show like this.

The stupidity is really why I like it, it goes past dumb just straight into funny. Shadow is already a laughingstock to half the fanbase, I'd like to think he can't go anywhere but up.

The stupidity is really why I like it, it goes past dumb just straight into funny. Shadow is already a laughingstock to half the fanbase, I'd like to think he can't go anywhere but up.

And that's how Teen Titans Go was made.

Fixing by means of lampooning and lackluster self-satire never works.  Ever.  Even as much as I don't care too much for Shadow, I'd still rather him be his humorously grim-dark self than some an awkwardly-produced caricature.

• Thumbs Up 8