Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

People warmed up to Teen Titans Go after the initial bitching wore off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have they?  It's still pretty derogatory, from my experience, and I was actually defending the show during the initial bitching.

• Thumbs Up 2

Teen Titans Go isn't even that apt a comparison because the concept is a silly lampooning of the original characters and their relationships to play up how they act on their off days. The rumor insinuates Sonic Boom is a total rewrite, making each character divorced from their game selves to varying degrees.

Ignoring the fact that he probably passed his lowest point via Sonic 06 of all things, how is completely dismantling the character and making him Hawaiian shirt-wearing lazy-ass going up as opposed to digging to China? You want to fix the character? Making him a sarcastic straight man, a tad less introverted, and giving him more battle flaws might be a really good start.

And doing something different might work just as well. I'm not opposed to your idea, in fact I'd prefer it, but I'm not going to denounce the alternative simply on the basis of being different, especially when I have yet to see how it would play out.

Have they? It's still pretty derogatory, from my experience, and I was actually defending the show during the initial bitching.

Obviously you're gonna always have detractors, but I have seen people it isn't as bad as the bitching would imply.

And doing something different might work just as well. I'm not opposed to your idea, in fact I'd prefer it, but I'm not going to denounce the alternative simply on the basis of being different, especially when I have yet to see how it would play out.

I'm not denouncing it on the basis of it being different; I'm denouncing it on the basis of it being really stupid when weighed up against what I know of the character and thus feel would be proper revamping. I mean hell, my idea would be "different" from Shadow's normal personality by way of not being his normal personality. So stop throwing this strawman out every time people dislike a change you're looking forward to.

• Thumbs Up 2

Starting over can be a kind of fixing.

Maybe, but I just think a reboot of the games (especially to be in line with this new cartoon) is utterly pointless and won't solve anything. It's lazy when the problems are relatively easy to address; it's not the fandom's fault SEGA ignores those issues. If fans can come up with a bunch of ideas for these characters (good and bad), the people who created them should have some idea.

I'm not opposed to change, but why is radical change and rebooting the only answer even though it's not like the games have been written into a corner or dealing with idiotic legal issues like the Archie comic (the aforementioned Chronicles/Mega Collection nonsense not withstanding)?

You are denouncing it on being different by way of criticizing it compared to your ideal version of the character and how you feel he should be :/

I'm well aware that the characters aren't being treated well in the games, but I don't want them to throw out the game canon all-together either. They can have something good here if they actually develop the characters. I think that's why a lot of people are complaining about the possibility of complete rewrites. Its not that they're saying the games are developing them well; its just that they want the games to develop the characters well without throwing away everything about them already.

Shadow wearing a Hawaiian shirt would be kinda badass... but otherwise I'd prefer him to be more like he was in SA2. Darker than Sonic, Sonic's rival who thinks he's better than Sonic, but still with a sarcastic mocking humor at times.

When you're dealing with characters that have an existing basis of comparison, then I think it's pretty fair to dismiss something for being drastically different, especially if it contradicts what you enjoy about the series.  Though I supposed never said I wouldn't enjoy Shadow being Tito, but still.

Obviously you're gonna always have detractors, but I have seen people it isn't as bad as the bitching would imply.

And I am one of those people who say that the show has its stronger points and isn't just the over-energetic bare-bones characterization that's passed off as "parody" in the pilot episode.  Still, though, I can see why it's polarizing and would still prefer a revival of the original series oodles over even the most tolerable episode of TTG.

Not really so much warming up as a blender of passive-agressive viewing, rage still present, positivity, etc.

When you're dealing with characters that have an existing basis of comparison, then I think it's pretty fair to dismiss something for being drastically different, especially if it contradicts what you enjoy about the series. Though I supposed never said I wouldn't enjoy Shadow being Tito, but still.

And I am one of those people who say that the show has its stronger points and isn't just the over-energetic bare-bones characterization that's passed off as "parody" in the pilot episode. Still, though, I can see why it's polarizing and would still prefer a revival of the original series oodles over even the most tolerable episode of TTG.

And I can see why it's polarizing as well, what I don't agree with is that it's going to terrible because it's different from what we know.

And as I said, I would probably prefer if they did something with current characterizations than a complete rewrite, but I'm not opposed to a rewrite.

You are denouncing it on being different by way of criticizing it compared to your ideal version of the character and how you feel he should be :/

...That's how opinions work, especially when it comes to how fans feel a character should be portrayed.

Seriously, what are you trying to accomplish by saying "it's not bad because it's different"? Nobody is saying they wouldn't like something like this rumour's take on Shadow simply because it's different, but because they, you know, genuinely don't like the idea. Yes, it's technically them "not liking it because it's different", but you're oversimplifying it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ignoring the fact that he probably passed his lowest point via Sonic 06 of all things, how is completely dismantling the character and making him Hawaiian shirt-wearing lazy-ass going up as opposed to digging to China?

Well, speaking as someone who's really not at all a fan of what Shadow became post-SA2, I wouldn't really mind them killing off all of that and taking him back to the drawing board. Especially in the case of a more comedy-focused show, having him be this troubled, angsty ~*Ultimate Life Form*~ with DBZ powers seems like poorly-fitting bloat. They could cut all that and refocus the character on things that are relevant to the kind of story they want to tell, put more emphasis on him being a rival and counterpart to Sonic.

Even if my idea was to never be (as expected), I'd still denounce making a character that's particularly competent and possessing of agency to get things done the complete opposite of that because that's not their character. It's not even in the general area code of being their character.

I mean, if I like a character, I'm going to like them for a general list of traits or ideals I've been presented with, even if those ideals can be twisted or reinterpreted within reason by various writers. Why then would I like a version of a character that doesn't even try to subscribe to at least the general biography they've had over the years? Fucking years. At that point, it's not the same character! It's a different character with a Shadow skin on it.

Again, I'm not opposed to change. I'm opposed to stupid change. Shadow's character as described in that rumor is a pretty damn stupid change, and your insistence that it's wrong or less than ideal to judge characters via comparison to established interpretations and thus we have to approach every single one of them with open arms- no matter how divorced they are from the actual character- is an argument that I'm exhausted of entertaining.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 5

As a parody, this is fantastic. I honestly could not have hoped for Alternate Character Interpretations as bizarre and fun-sounding as these. And that's what I saw it as. PARODY. SATIRE. Re-imaginings so grossly separate from the detached canon this series has spent twenty plus years trying to establish. The reason I posted this stuff in the first place is because I wanted everyone to have a good laugh over these 'what if' scenarios. A spot of *fun* on what is otherwise a thoroughly unremarkable day.

I absolutely was not expecting it to be taken so seriously. It's from 4chan, guys. HInt hint.

I'm taking a nap.

I think we've put together that it's fake... Most of us are just upset at the suggestion of the games being rebooted to be in line with this cartoon, regardless of what form it takes. I loved The Looney Tunes Show, for example, but even I wouldn't want some of those character interpretations to become a new standard (at least not Daffy...).

Well, speaking as someone who's really not at all a fan of what Shadow became post-SA2, I wouldn't really mind them killing off all of that and taking him back to the drawing board. Especially in the case of a more comedy-focused show, having him be this troubled, angsty ~*Ultimate Life Form*~ with DBZ powers seems like poorly-fitting bloat. They could cut all that and refocus the character on things that are relevant to the kind of story they want to tell, put more emphasis on him being a rival and counterpart to Sonic.

The games sorta have been doing this though. At least in spin-offs where the two interact, it's mostly as rivals more than anything. That's pretty much all SEGA has focused on the few times they've bothered to use Shadow at all (notably Free Riders and making Shadow sound like Vegeta in Generations).

As a parody, this is fantastic. I honestly could not have hoped for Alternate Character Interpretations as bizarre and fun-sounding as these. And that's what I saw it as. PARODY. SATIRE. Re-imaginings so grossly separate from the detached canon this series has spent twenty plus years trying to establish. The reason I posted this stuff in the first place is because I wanted everyone to have a good laugh over these 'what if' scenarios. A spot of *fun* on what is otherwise a thoroughly unremarkable day.

I absolutely was not expecting it to be taken so seriously. It's from 4chan, guys. HInt hint.

I'm taking a nap.

I think you're taking this debate a lot more seriously than anyone else here.  Someone mentioned that despite the obvious falsehood, it had some decent ideas, and that's where the discussion was launched.

I think even a more lighthearted, comedy-centric show can have troubled characters as long as the comedy is used to enhance the plot, not the plot used to enhance the comedy.  But that's kind of boiling down to "wait and see," since we have no idea what kind of approach they're taking aside from the vague descriptor of "action comedy."

...That's how opinions work, especially when it comes to how fans feel a character should be portrayed.

Seriously, what are you trying to accomplish by saying "it's not bad because it's different"? Nobody is saying they wouldn't like something like this rumour's take on Shadow simply because it's different, but because they, you know, genuinely don't like the idea. Yes, it's technically them "not liking it because it's different", but you're oversimplifying it.

Because the thing people are against does not even exist, it's an opinion based on a knee jerk reaction to something they are not comfortable with.

If Hawaiian shirt Shadow was indeed a terrible character then these opinions would be more concrete, but he doesn't exist.

Because the thing people are against does not even exist, it's an opinion based on a knee jerk reaction to something they are not comfortable with.

If Hawaiian shirt Shadow was indeed a terrible character then these opinions would be more concrete, but he doesn't exist.

Since when are concepts immune to criticism?  The very concept is terrible in and of itself, at least in my opinion.  I don't need to see the finished product, because even if it turned out half-way okay, it would still be less preferable.

• Thumbs Up 8

Most of Shadow's troubled history isn't even relevant anymore, so as with my general argument with canon- you can ignore it and easily interpret Shadow differently without having to go through the trouble of rewriting him as if he actually never existed. Granted, I would still want him to be the serious character of the bunch- not a lazy bruiser- but he can still provide levity in his own ways through a sarcastic or witty personality. Regardless, I don't see how this is a particular argument for the merits of the shit the rumor is toting about him (or frankly anyone else).

So... since it's fake, we can't take issue with the concept when it flies in the face of everything that's come before that people actually like the about the character...? Why even have the discussion then?

EDIT: Woops Akito beat me. Board didn't refresh fast enough.

Even if my idea was to never be (as expected), I'd still denounce making a character that's particularly competent and possessing of agency to get things done the complete opposite of that because that's not their character. It's not even in the general area code of being their character.

I mean, if I like a character, I'm going to like them for a general list of traits or ideals I've been presented with, even if those ideals can be twisted or reinterpreted within reason by various writers. Why then would I like a version of a character that doesn't even try to subscribe to at least the general biography they've had over the years? Fucking years. At that point, it's not the same character! It's a different character with a Shadow skin on it.

Again, I'm not opposed to change. I'm opposed to stupid change. Shadow's character as described in that rumor is a pretty damn stupid change, and your insistence that it's wrong or less than ideal to judge characters via comparison to established interpretations and thus has to approach every single one of them with open arms- no matter how divorced they are from the actual character- is an argument that I'm exhausted of entertaining.

I already said that I can see why it's polarizing, and that I am arguing not for everyone to instantly love a different concept, but rather not to instantly despise it. But hey, agree to disagree I guess.

Why is despising a concept a bad thing, but any other reaction to a concept is not?

• Thumbs Up 3

Screw re-booting, I just want Shadow to say horrible one-liners while putting on his glasses. And hawaiian shirts are awesome D:<

• Thumbs Up 4

The games sorta have been doing this though. At least in spin-offs where the two interact, it's mostly as rivals more than anything. That's pretty much all SEGA has focused on the few times they've bothered to use Shadow at all (notably Free Riders and making Shadow sound like Vegeta in Generations).

Except they've still got all this backstory bloat hanging onto him that isn't helping anything he's done lately.

The way I see it, if they do end up using Shadow in Boom, they're going to have to do something about his backstory. It's too big and specific to just slip it in and move on like you could with other characters. Like Tails, you can just say "he's Sonic's genius mechanic best friend" and that's about all you need to know, but to be true to Shadow's backstory you'd need to go into the ARK and Gerald and Maria and all that shit (and that's without even touching on the Black Arms). I don't see them spending a whole arc just to retell SA2 again, and I don't see them just ignoring it and not explaining his backstory for the people who are new to the series. The third option, then, is to reboot him and give him a backstory that fits what they're trying to achieve.