Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

Okay, while I somewhat agree with you on your other points, I'm going to stop you right there and say that no media should ever forcefully redirect you to another piece of media in order to understand its plot and basis of conception.  That's just bad writing and is not very fun for people who aren't into video games or don't enjoy reading long Wiki entries.  Tying into the games may compliment a narrative, but if it can't stand on its own weight, the show is doomed to fail.

I guess I wrote myself into a hole there. I won't argue with this, but I think if you go back to my main point; the back story is there if you need it for another story. But if you want a general overview of who Shadow is, you can get that from his personality alone. But, yeah, I wasn't thinking when I wrote that. I do stand by the idea that, if you're curious enough, you can always do some research, but I realize that's not something everyone wants or should have to do.

It seems really weird to have a show where you need to check a wiki to understand who a guy is. That's the kind of thing I would expect the show itself to do.

But is it the history of this show, if they don't state it? I expect Boom is going to be doing its own thing, from the character designs; it's not going to be writing stories meant to slot in somewhere between the games. If they don't say a thing is true in it, I don't think we should assume it is just because it is in the games. And if they never do say it, what sense is referencing it going to make to new fans who haven't played the games?

I just don't get how people can argue that his backstory doesn't matter because it isn't used anymore and yet freak at the thought of changing his backstory into something that is useful.

I guess I should've remembered I was in the "Sonic Boom" topic before spinning off into a general Shadow discussion, huh? But the discussion got crossed with the games, so... yeah.

People who like Shadow as he is now, wouldn't want the character to be fundamentally changed in the source material (the games), especially to make way for a new cartoon that throws out who he is. His backstory is important, especially since he's one of the few characters to have a backstory. But it's not so important that it constantly needs to be at the forefront. His past is behind him, not erased. It's there if needs to be brought up again, but if not, it's just history that shows where he came from. That's my point. It's only as relevant as it needs to be depending on the story.

EDIT: In hindsight, I'm starting to see the flaw in my argument, mostly because it's difficult for me to see this from a non-fan's perspective who may not know about the character (whereas I'm familiar with him and know his history). I still stand by my points that his backstory is there as history, and is only as relevant as it needs to be, but I can see how it can be potentially off-putting to assume your viewers/readers/players are familiar with that or expect them to do extra legwork.

Edited by Zaysho

What if Shadow's not even IN Boom?

I'm expecting just the core four + Eggman, myself.

Though it'd be nice if the rest of the cast were supporting characters that show up if/when they can play a part in the story.

What if Shadow's not even IN Boom?

Then he's just not in the show.  Nothing more, nothing less.

I guess I wrote myself into a hole there. I won't argue with this, but I think if you go back to my main point; the back story is there if you need it for another story. But if you want a general overview of who Shadow is, you can get that from his personality alone. But, yeah, I wasn't thinking when I wrote that.

I suppose so.  I think a character like Shadow really needs his backstory to be understood, though, so I don't think it's just something they could refer to every now and then when needed but forget the rest of the time.

I wholely expect to see Shadow along with most of the cast in Boom. They won't be main characters but I'll bet we'll see most of them at some point. 

I'm expecting just the core four + Eggman, myself.

Though it'd be nice if the rest of the cast were supporting characters that show up if/when they can play a part in the story.

From the initial press release...

The series centers on Sonic, his best friend and sidekick, Tails, their never-ending search for adventure, and their battles with Sonic’s arch-nemesis, Dr. Eggman. Rounding out the ensemble are fan favorites Knuckles and Amy Rose, plus a rogue’s gallery of enemies—some familiar to Sonic fans and some brand-new.

We'll definitely see other villainous characters, which could very possibly include Shadow or Metal Sonic. I'm expecting we'll see the Deadly Six at some stage, along with other good guys.

Oh shit the deadly six. I didn't even think about them.

I think I'd rather them let those guys sit for a bit, but sega seems to be pushing them pretty hard lately so we probably will end up seeing them.

If it's one thing I really, genuinely like about the stuff in the rumours, it's Eggman's base being a run down theme park. Assuming said theme park had a mechanical theme to it as well--so basically EggmanLand--it'd be really fitting for him. Although I think I'd want a tiny bit more whimsy than EggmanLand itself. Take some inspiration from Tropical Resort, maybe.

That makes me feel that the show will be like sonic colors and lost world

If it's one thing I really, genuinely like about the stuff in the rumours, it's Eggman's base being a run down theme park. Assuming said theme park had a mechanical theme to it as well--so basically EggmanLand--it'd be really fitting for him. Although I think I'd want a tiny bit more whimsy than EggmanLand itself. Take some inspiration from Tropical Resort, maybe.

I'd adore the concept of his base being an "amusement" park.  Eggmanland had pretty much the right idea.  It's basically things that would be amusing, corrupted to the point where they're sadistically (but hilariously) dangerous, so the only person experiencing amusement is the doctor himself. XP

That makes me feel that the show will be like sonic colors and lost world

They're the most recent Sonic games that have substantial writing so inspiration would probably be taken. 

I think it's a relief that while Ian Flynn cannot tell us what something is, he can tell us what something is NOT. Kudos to him shooting this down before it could get too readily accepted.

I think that even if Shadow was in the show, they wouldn't stray that radically off course with his character. While there was plenty of room for variation prior to SEGA suddenly caring about uniformity in the late 90s, there were still limits. If he appears, he'd probably have a lighter backstory, but I doubt he'd be a lazy moron.

this is basically what came to my Mind when I saw Shadows Description

• Thumbs Up 7

wait... I keep hearing this show will be cannon with the games... But how on earth can it be? They will not be changing designs will they? and also.. does that mean that Knuckles will be that whimp that can be carried away by small animals?

I am very confused... :o

I like the outlook that Mike Pollock gave it... but I really want the old Knux back.. I sorry to keep talking about Knuckles... but for apparent reasons I  am concerned most about his character.

wait... I keep hearing this show will be cannon with the games... But how on earth can it be? They will not be changing designs will they? and also.. does that mean that Knuckles will be that whimp that can be carried away by small animals?

I am very confused... ohmy.png

I like the outlook that Mike Pollock gave it... but I really want the old Knux back.. I sorry to keep talking about Knuckles... but for apparent reasons I  am concerned most about his character.

We currently have no idea how this show will affect the main series.  Best case scenario, the show will be its own little thing.  Worst case scenario, Sega mandates that there be consistency between the show and the games, and the show's principles will win over the games.

• Thumbs Up 2

But what if that happened? It wouldn't be terrible if a show overtook the tone the game series, assuming Boom is good. Back in the '90s, even though those shows weren't canon at all, there was a sense of direction we haven't had since. There was chili dogs and Mobius. Now these things were only American canon you might say, but they defined Sonic to the public, correct or not. Sonic has no presence in pop culture anymore. If a show like this could be good, and bring something coherent to the direction of the series I think it'd be great. I'm talking about setting, characterization, plot lines, things that don't exist in Sonic game storylines today, that would be awesome. I mean, as long as it's good.

If they defined Sonic to the public, how come no-one outside of a hardcore minority recall it and instead recall their memories of the games more readily?

People still think Sonic is from Mobius, VEDJ. People still remember his chili dogs. 20-somethings who don't consider themselves gamers remember these things, along with game journalists getting it wrong. Sonic used to be a brand and now he's just a game. A new cartoon will redefine how people see Sonic. That's not bad to me, since I find the game canon so vanilla now I can't be bothered to care. Provided this show is any good, we could stand to borrow from it.

The problem with the games is not that their inherent concepts are bad to the point that they need to be replaced with Boom's, but that their writing doesn't go into any great depth or specifics due to continuous public backlash of the games trying to do this over the years. Adopting Sonic Boom's concepts- even if they are good- will not ensure the games will get better if Sega is still not intent on allowing the writers to churn out a decent story with what they've been given. What we'll most likely get is the same kind of watered-down narratives but in a universe people are currently advocating stay separate from the games. No thanks. I'll take even the Wisps before I take Buffles the Echidna.

• Thumbs Up 1

I could see little ideas making it into the game canon, like chili dogs being Sonic's favourite food, that sort of thing. Assuming this cartoon does well, anyway...which I doubt since everyone's pretty much made their mind up on it already.

Well let's assume this actually would be a thing, what's the best scenario we can see playing out from the series and how would it improve the games if it was integrated?

Well let's assume this actually would be a thing, what's the best scenario we can see playing out from the series and how would it improve the games if it was integrated?

Going off of what we actually know and ignoring the "leak", there's going to be (presumably reoccurring) villains other than Eggman, that would be nice to see in the games.

The rumours though, eh. I'd have to know more. I mean, the "leak" is kind of vague on why the characters have the little personality traits that are mentioned.

I could see little ideas making it into the game canon, like chili dogs being Sonic's favourite food, that sort of thing. Assuming this cartoon does well, anyway...which I doubt since everyone's pretty much made their mind up on it already.

I dunno, I believe Boom will be a success, and I say that as someone with no expectations for it at this point. I'm not happy with the thought of Boom replacing the games' canon, just as how everyone would be bitching if Archie replaced the games' canon. Boom being its own thing is the best case scenario for it. Can the games incorporate ideas or concepts, but with a more distinct SEGA!Sonic flavor? I don't see why not. Didn't one or two ideas from "Sonic X" actually find their way into the games? But completely replacing one with the other seems like it could more potentially damage the brand amongst an already heavily fractured fanbase.

I think "Sonic Boom" will have the same success "Sonic X" did, in that it'll be a popular merchandising machine for the franchise that'll exist as its own thing. You can debate about X's quality, but it was certainly popular for its time, to the point that international regions got a new season out of the deal. But that said, it should be its own thing. If anything, "Boom" has the opportunity to actually borrow from other corners of franchise but still stand on its own, but I don't think it'll gain the momentum to actually replace all that's come before.

You know what the annoying part is, if Boom is successful we'll have a portion of fans bitching how the games should be like it.

• Thumbs Up 2

You know what the annoying part is, if Boom is successful we'll have a portion of fans bitching how the games should be like it.

That happens with almost every Sonic cartoon. 

That happens with almost every Sonic cartoon. 

And it was annoying the last three times as well.