Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

Every character has potential to be great characters. It's not fair to just say that a character shouldn't be used just because you can't see the potential when there are a lot of fans of that character who can see the potential that can be put to use.

• Thumbs Up 3

Okay, I'll phrase it this way: Dislike Silver all you want, but if Silver ever gets any opportunity (and uses it) to shine as a character, don't outright dismiss him just BECAUSE you dislike the character. I don't expect Silver to get any billing any time soon, but frankly even with his less than reputable history, he at least shouldn't be shunned before he is allowed to start.

It's true that, hypothetically, Silver could win over fans in a future game or cartoon or something. But until then, people are going to judge him based on previous appearances, and some might not be willing to give him a chance at this point. I think there's a difference between that and people who dismiss the entire cast as being irredeemable.

Why is everyone so fucking content with mediocrity?

They probably don't consider it mediocrity.

• Thumbs Up 2

There are better developed characters that are much closer to being borderline-main characters than Silver can ever be. Even though I don't like his design or his personality or anything for that matter about him, the main offender here would be to try to make him a part of the regular cast, which would require the show to be focused a lot on time travel (which would be tiring and sort of annoying) or they change his role completely (which would be kind of dumb). 

To even imply that he'd be more worthy for the role of a regular than the Chaotix, Cream/Vanilla/Cheese, Blaze, Rouge, Shadow, etc is beyond me anyways.

Oh good.  Another Silver debate.  Keep it civil, guys.  No name-calling or opinion-shaming or anything like that.  If I see anyone doing such a thing, you will receive a strike.  Just putting that up there now.

On that note, I still fail to see the logic behind the defense that Silver's poor debut was the result of bad writing, which is "not his own fault."  A character's personality and actions depend entirely on how the writer portrays him.  So, when is a character bad based on things that are entirely their fault?  Further, why is it okay to like characters for shallow reasons (even though I disagree that the reasons presented are shallow) but not dislike them for equally shallow reasons?

• Thumbs Up 5

To even imply that he'd be more worthy for the role of a regular than the Chaotix, Cream/Vanilla/Cheese, Blaze, Rouge, Shadow, etc is beyond me anyways.

Who was even suggesting this? Don't go shoving words in my mouth just to make a point that I never stated/implied.

You don't have to defend Silver, but you could at least have the

His "abysmal performance" was caused by bad writing and was no fault of his own. And while you may not be interested in giving him another shot, I think it's the only way he'll ever shake off all the undeserved hate he receives.

Silver is not a real person. He is a fictional character that's defined by whatever writing we have to go off of. Considering what we have to go off of, it isn't unreasonable for people to not be fond of him. Saying that it "Isn't his fault" isn't an argument. Once a character makes a terrible first impression like Silver did, it's rare that we ever even see them again at all.

Who was even suggesting this? Don't go shoving words in my mouth just to make a point that I never stated/implied.

Hmm. Poops.

Must've read over the convo a bit wrong. Would still be dumb if they did that though. :v

Anyways carry on and stuff.

Not to join on any sides, but personally I enjoy Silver. Granted, I've only seen, not played Sonic 06 or any games that feature Silver... but I do find him intriguing. Something that can easily be developed too, as most of him seems rather shrouded in questions.

However, I do have to agree with the idea that someone more 'favored' and recognized by the fans should go first. Personally, I'd like to see Cream. 

You don't have to defend Silver, but you could at least have the decency to let other people do so.

I'm not preventing anyone from doing anything. I'm just disagreeing with them.

Plenty of chances that didn't allow him to develop as a character.

Sounds like a lost cause to me, or at least more trouble than he's worth.

Why do I seriously doubt this?

Because you're more interested in seeing me as a boogeyman than a person.

His "abysmal performance" was caused by bad writing and was no fault of his own.

You say this like there's a meaningful distinction between the character and the writing for him.

Every character has potential to be great characters. It's not fair to just say that a character shouldn't be used just because you can't see the potential when there are a lot of fans of that character who can see the potential that can be put to use.

Like I said before, inevitably, some characters won't be used, or will be used less than others, no matter what anyone argues. Cuts have to be made, the only question is which characters get cut.

Also it's kind of baffling to say that it's "not fair" for someone to not like a character.

• Thumbs Up 2

And why the fuck would they do that? Silver has done nothing to deserve buttmonkey status, and making him into one would do nothing but piss off his fans!

I think everyone here needs to take a step back and consider whether or not certain comments are made seriously or in jest.

I don't much care for Silver, but I don't want him to be a buttmonkey.

• Thumbs Up 1

But unlike any of those one-off characters, I feel that it's blatant that it's very possible to take him and improve upon his character, development, backstory and even how he would play as.

I don't think that's any more true for him than it is for those one-shots.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nobody is suggesting total abandonment. There are just characters that some would rather get focused on over trying to restructure Silver so he could work. It's not hard to understand, really. 

I don't think that's any more true for him than it is for those one-shots.

That may be the case, but the fact is that those one-shots haven't appeared in any further games or have that sizeable of a fanbase (Mephiles is this bizarre exception; some people love this guy and want him to return despite the fact that he was wiped from existence).

Thing is, to me, Silver happens to have more potential than most of the fans and critics are giving him credit for.

I'd be okay with it actually.

4935-are-you-serious.jpg

I wouldn't call him more worthy, because IMO he's pretty much equal to the characters you mentioned.

Oh good.  Another Silver debate.  Keep it civil, guys. 

I'll do my best!

Further, why is it okay to like characters for shallow reasons (even though I disagree that the reasons presented are shallow) but not dislike them for equally shallow reasons?

Negative opinions always require more justification than positive opinions. At least, that's my opinion.

You say this like there's a meaningful distinction between the character and the writing for him.

For me there is. Even though I know Silver is a fictional character, he feels like more than an just in-game model and a few lines in a script. It's really hard for me to explain, but I hope I don't sound delusional to anyone.

Negative opinions always require more justification than positive opinions. At least, that's my opinion.

But why?  One person's positive will always be another person's negative and vice versa, so treating one side of the spectrum like it's inherently better or worse certainly doesn't sound fair to me.

When is this coming out? I really want to see it thunder_dance_2_by_thunderbolt_the_fox-d

"This fall" is the only information we have at this time.

It about time we had a new sonic cartoon, I hope this will be a great one thunder__s_tail_attack_2_by_thunderbolt_

I know its unrelated but man do I love that sprite recolor that you have there (reminds me of my cousins actually).

But to get back on topic, I hope that we can see the designs on all the characters soon so that we have something to go off of in terms of how the designs for all the other characters will look.

But to get back on topic, I hope that we can see the designs on all the characters soon so that we have something to go off of in terms of how the designs for all the other characters will look.

Yeah, I'm patiently awaiting the new designs to be revealed. With what I'm getting from the silhouettes, I expect designs along the lines of these.

Sonic- He still looks like the same blue hedgehog we know and love, but his fur is a bit more scruffy this time around,and/or is wearing some sort of vest/jacket.

Tails- Exact same as game counterpart, but maybe wears a tool belt(he looks like he's wearing something on the lower part of his outline).

Amy- Very similar to the Sonic Riders outfit, except she's wearing a skirt instead of pants.

Knuckles- Bleh, the silhouette tells me all I need to know. Way too muscular, isn't wearing spiked gloves, and much taller than the rest of the group.

These designs may or may not turn out good, but hopefully the characters will at least look nice in the CG animation the show is going for.

And then they give Knuckles a hat. And everything is better. :P

In all seriousness, still looking forward to this. Merely because of being a silly person who hadn't had cable for years, buuuuut that's another story.

I infer from Mike Pollock's comments that anyone who assumes the show will be completely silly or dumb is wrong. Sure, he could have just been paying lip service, but it sounds like the fandom reaction as a whole is dead wrong based on his comment that he's "laughing" and I think he even explicitly said people are incorrect about it.

Which leads me to be hopeful that despite the comedic nature, there's actually going to be something neat about this. 52 episodes does leave a lot of room for multi-parters, after all.

There's been several franchises over the years with plenty of humor despite their serious nature - as memory serves, Metal Gear is fond of this. It's amazing how much plot you can cram into a 10 minute episode, so I'm optimistic.

With my continuity question, I was just pondering if they'd use any of the established game elements, or create their own backstories and the like.

When you talk about 2 parters it raises my hope for either a multiverse or Silver/time travel story arc since both areas hold SO many possibilities for stories

I've seen enough fan conceptions of designs to think the larger Knuckles won't be that bad. Provided his limbs are just thicker rather than his having absurd muscle definition... I don't think I really need to worry.

Above all I remember this is going to be for small children, which I don't think includes most of us. They're dealing with fresh, young minds free from preconceptions. So they changed the designs a bit to much - they want to emphasise Knuckles' physical strength and altered him accordingly.

What I'm looking forward to is this fandom five to ten years down the road. We will likely have a fairly large amount of fans who only care about Sonic Boom because it is what got them into the franchise. We see it with every other non-game continuity and I don't think this will be any exception, especially if Boom tries to avoid being like X in taking a lot of cues from the games.

Knuckles- Bleh, the silhouette tells me all I need to know. Way too muscular, isn't wearing spiked gloves, and much taller than the rest of the group.

He is wearing spiked gloves in the silhouette, though.  You can see them.  Granted, I don't think it works with the individually-defined fingers... maybe they were anticipating situations where he might actually have to pick something up or exercise fine motor control.  Not being able to do so would rather add to the "Knuckles is a dumb brute" issue.

I don't really have anything against the cast having different body sizes, though.  I think the fact that they don't is mainly a holdover from the classics; if Knuckles had been designed today he probably would have been a bigger character (just look at Vector's redesign).  It mainly looks weird simply because we're used to average-sized Knuckles.