Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

Nostalgia.

Gravity Falls has a better theme song than any of the shit I grew up with.

I wouldn't say its completely nostalgia, stuff like the ed,edd and eddy opening along with dexters laboratory are kind of floating around in my head right now (there are others but these two stick out to me in general) and most shows today do have openings but the tv networks cut them down on most occasions for the sake of time slots and the only way to see the full opening would be to look it up on the internet.

No I'm pretty sure it's nostalgia. I can think of just as many cartoons today with genuinely good theme songs as I can of songs from my childhood, if not more. Seeing people criticize modern cartoon theme songs makes me roll my eyes

• Thumbs Up 1

Get real, its going to be in-house music done by hairbrained nitwits who won't know 1 thing about the series' characters or story comes from.

I'm guessing a mesh of AOSTH and SX 4kids, but worse.

At least the AoSTH theme bore some resemblance to the original Sonic theme tune....

.... and..... Hall of the Mountain King....

*casually walks off, whistling*

Let's rephrase that then, not as many shows have theme music with lyrics. Not saying there aren't exceptions, the retooled Ninja Turtles theme comes to mind, Ben 10 all be it short. But you can't deny that far more shows had actual lyrical themes in the 80's and 90's. Just about every cartoon I grew up with that I can think of bar a few had lyrics (could have been due to the over saturation of animated Disney and Hannah Barbara stuff tho), where as these days its the other way round at least out of the ones I watch.

Just thought I'd put this out there....

I swear to god if Sonic Boom is like this, I will throw money at SEGA. Shadow twerking? Instant win.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well I'm happy to see that video's made the rounds...

I always thought lyrics helped make a cartoon theme more memorable. It's something you can sing along to, which I think helps cement it in your head. Sure, we can all hum Green Hill, but I think group singing Live and Learn or some other vocal song sounds a little less ridiculous than a capella.

• Thumbs Up 1

I swear to god if Sonic Boom is like this, I will throw money at SEGA. Shadow twerking? Instant win.

lol just saw this posted on Facebook a few days ago.

Still find it strange... O_o

Jesus I need brain bleach now. welp, non-fans and video game blogs are going to get a good laugh at us soon once that goes around the blogs.

Back to the discussion, I doubt we will get any sort of lyrical intro tbh. the way CN works its shows now is that its either a chopped down variant after the first episode release or something that doesn't go beyond 30 seconds.

Again I'd like to bring this up, whose the animation studio doing this? and what was their previous projects? and were any of those project involved with CN?

That should give us an idea to what an intro would be like from them.

Who knows, maybe SEGA'll surprise and actually go the extra mile to have an outstanding orchestration and soundtrack for the series.

Again I'd like to bring this up, whose the animation studio doing this? and what was their previous projects? and were any of those project involved with CN?

I'm not sure what exactly the studio's name is but it is French and they have worked on The Garfield Show. I believe an animation reel of their other works was posted earlier in this topic when we first learned about them making Sonic Boom. And from what I remember seeing, the only cartoon they made involved with CN was The Garfield Show. 

Edit: The name of the studio is Genao Productions. Here's their showreel: http://www.genao-productions.com/#!/fr/page/11/showreel

Edited by SwiftWinds

...why have I never seen this before?

...why have I never seen this before?

...well it's obvious you never visit Bumbleking, the SEGA Forums, or stay subscribed to TheSonicShow.

I don't find The Garfield Show particularly bad. It's just standard kids fare; more mild than outright offensive.

• Thumbs Up 3

Its just such a flatly written show. I mean, yeah, the source material and all isn't that great itself, but I tried watching like two or so episodes (the one where Garfield and co go to China?) and it was the most uninteresting / predictable thing I've probably ever seen. XD

Its just such a flatly written show. I mean, yeah, the source material and all isn't that great itself, but I tried watching like two or so episodes (the one where Garfield and co go to China?) and it was the most uninteresting / predictable thing I've probably ever seen. XD

Oh yeah! It's not brilliant by any stretch of the imagination (although I love the activity going on in the opening), but there's probably significantly worse animated shows airing right now than new Garfield. Heck, I'd wager the new Garfield animated movies are worse if only because the art is just kinda... bad. There's no sense of staging or proper color theory; just lots of items with lots of colors everywhere. At least the show's budget means the backgrounds are mellow and stark enough to not outright assault the eyes.

Regardless, such a pedigree doesn't lift my spirits in regards to Sonic Boom, so. =/

I personally liked Garfield and Friends/Orson's Farm a lot more than The Garfield Show. The writing in the former, from what I remember, was considerably less stale and cliche'd than the writing in The Garfield Show.

Get real, its going to be in-house music done by hairbrained nitwits who won't know 1 thing about the series' characters or story comes from.

I'm guessing a mesh of AOSTH and SX 4kids, but worse.

I thought AOSTH's music really fit the slapstick tone of the show. I get that Sonic Boom is a show about Sonic, but it's also a TV show. Music that could work for games, doesn't always work for TV shows. Vocal themes could work and a few nods to the game's themes here and there are fine, but I'd be pissed if all we heard was the game's soundtrack.

Ya'll brought up Garfield. Now I have an obligation to post this;

Was the animation in The Garfield Show good? From what I remember, it was quite good.

• Thumbs Up 7

The Garfield Show's animation is passable. Not bad, but like the rest of the show, it's not amazing either.

Ya'll brought up Garfield. Now I have an obligation to post this;

I can't stop laughing right now.

The name of the studio is Genao Productions. Here's their showreel: http://www.genao-productions.com/#!/fr/page/11/showreel

Ick. none of that is appealing. and I remember TGfS, that was just a boring show and thats even worse then a bad show in my book, at least with a bad show it keeps you somewhat interested a boring show on the other hand you just don't bother with and forget it exists, which is eventually what happened with me.

Now with Genao Productions, do they use their in-house composers or are they known for hiring freelancers or outside groups?

Who knows, maybe SEGA'll surprise and actually go the extra mile to have an outstanding orchestration and soundtrack for the series.

Yeeeeeeah, don't count on it. if they didn't do that for Sonic X, a project they put allot of their funds into, then theres no way there going to hire the likes of the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra or bring in any of their own composers for this. all they are doing here is just rubberstamping and nothing more.

I thought AOSTH's music really fit the slapstick tone of the show. I get that Sonic Boom is a show about Sonic, but it's also a TV show. Music that could work for games, doesn't always work for TV shows. Vocal themes could work and a few nods to the game's themes here and there are fine, but I'd be pissed if all we heard was the game's soundtrack.

And I believe the soundtracks throughout the ages all have potential to be used even if its just taking cues from. what I would like is a composer or composing group that knows what he or they doing music for and what the series is like in terms of its music and apply that. they got 25 years of music to take cues and learn from, if I hear AOSTH level slapstick bullshit that sounds nothing like Sonic in any form, I'll be done more then I'am already with this show.

Funny thing that you mention about this animation studio, because one CGI movie or episode of Garfield had this strip in the background:

538px-Garfield_i_will_rape_you.png

I have been wracking my brain trying to find the article that had this info in, but the reason they mistook this for a real strip is all the much more hilarious and a tad worrisome if they decided to pull a Sonic and All Stars Racing fan-art fiasco, not to mention there were some language barrier problems as well.

EDIT: Whoops. The strip was actually in "Garfield Gets Real" which was edited closely by PAWS in conjunction with The Animation Studio, not this company. Still amusing, though.

levian%2B34810.jpg

Edited by Ice Queen Waluigi
  • Thumbs Up 4

Funny thing that you mention about this animation studio, because one CGI movie or episode of Garfield had this strip in the background:

538px-Garfield_i_will_rape_you.png

I have been wracking my brain trying to find the article that had this info in, but the reason they mistook this for a real strip is all the much more hilarious and a tad worrisome if they decided to pull a Sonic and All Stars Racing fan-art fiasco, not to mention there were some language barrier problems as well.

EDIT: Whoops. The strip was actually in "Garfield Gets Real" which was edited closely by PAWS in conjunction with The Animation Studio, not this company. Still amusing, though.

levian%2B34810.jpg

I highly doubt they mistook a strip that has Jon threatening to "rape [Garfield] up the ass" as a legitimate strip in an otherwise mostly clean comic (besides, the Sunday edition of Garfield comics are by standard seven panels long, this one's thirteen :u). They were presumably sneaking it past the censors.