Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

Everything exceeding panel 7 is just from some badly edited version they found online and wanted to sneak in. Panels 8 to 13 just repeat the same image but with different text (Whoever was responsible for it even had to edit the speech bubble in panel 9 and you can see the speech bubble in panel 12 is slightly misplaced) with the exception of panel 13, with Jon's hand moving upward.

• Thumbs Up 1

Adventures of Sonic lasted 65 episodes, Satam lasted 2 seasons, Sonic Underground lasted 40 episodes, and Sonic X lasted 78 episodes. 

How long do you guys think Sonic Boom will last? I'm guessing around 3 seasons, maybe 4.

We have 52 15-minute segments confirmed... not sure how many seasons that counts as. Probably two, since I doubt they'll show all 52 back to back. They'll probably show 26, call a break, then resume in Fall 2015.

Assuming they roll with 26 episodes every year, it could very easily last a few years.

We have 52 15-minute segments confirmed... not sure how many seasons that counts as. Probably two, since I doubt they'll show all 52 back to back. They'll probably show 26, call a break, then resume in Fall 2015.

Assuming they roll with 26 episodes every year, it could very easily last a few years.

Wait... 52 episodes have been confirmed?! I thought they only confirmed 26.

Okay then, 2 seasons it is! 

The question is now, what will they do with those 52 episodes? 

Looking over the original articles, yes, Genao is making 52 episodes of 11-minute length. Presuming they make some two-parters, we could actually see some interesting plots here or there.

I've no idea if they'll show the episodes one week after another or break them up into seasons with periods of re-runs inbetween. It'd really depend on what Cartoon Network's usual method is, I suppose; precedent is a good guide when you have nothing else to go on.

As memory serves, 26 episodes is the norm for a cartoon's season, so I wouldn't be surprised if Boom runs from the Fall into Spring, and then goes off season until Fall 2015.

26 episodes in the norm for a cartoon series, but we're talking about half-length episodes. If anything, 52 is one season, because that only makes 26 half-hour full episodes. Two episodes would be aired back-to-back except for the rare occasion a half-segment episode of some series is slipped in when a movie goes on, and that's incredibly rare (and no guarantee that'll happen with Sonic Boom).

You know what would have been/could be a kind of cool approach to this show?

Batman-The-Brave-and-the-Bold-Season-3-E

A brave and the Bold approach, where the show focuses on Sonic teaming up and going on adventures with other characters would be pretty fecking sweet, if I do say so myself. I'm only speaking on the team up aspect, but come on, this is the perfect way to utilize Sonic's supporting cast. The stand alone approach would work well as a Sonic Team up series, with occasional episodes of all the characters coming together and facing some huge threat.

There's no way in hell I'm saying it would be a Sonic superhero show of the sort. I just feel it's the perfect way to utilize a giant cast of characters in any franchise, yet Batman: The Brave and the Bold was the only series to really do this.

• Thumbs Up 3

You know what would have been/could be a kind of cool approach to this show?

Batman-The-Brave-and-the-Bold-Season-3-E

A brave and the Bold approach, where the show focuses on Sonic teaming up and going on adventures with other characters would be pretty fecking sweet, if I do say so myself. I'm only speaking on the team up aspect, but come on, this is the perfect way to utilize Sonic's supporting cast. The stand alone approach would work well as a Sonic Team up series, with occasional episodes of all the characters coming together and facing some huge threat.

There's no way in hell I'm saying it would be a Sonic superhero show of the sort. I just feel it's the perfect way to utilize a giant cast of characters in any franchise, yet Batman: The Brave and the Bold was the only series to really do this.

I've only one thing to say.

"Sonic does not eat Nachos!"

• Thumbs Up 1

When it comes to how the length of the episodes determines the season, we fortunately have a lot of precedent with Cartoon Network. Here's Season 1 of a few 11-minute episode shows.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force: September 2001-December 2002 (15 months; 18 episodes)

Adventure Time: April 2010-September 2010 (6 months, 26 episodes); notable in that the fifth season consists of 52 episodes.

Sealab 2021: September 2001-May 2002 (8 months, 13 episodes)

Those are a few that come to mind, but it does look like Boom will be cut into two seasons going by Adventure Time's standard; Adult Swim is classed as a separate network that shares channel space with CN. Two seasons of 26 episodes each sounds reasonable enough.

I was watching an FCTR charity stream in late 2013 (apologies for the lack of a link, they haven't uploaded it yet) and they had Mike Pollock on, as they do, talking about the industry and his work. Eventually, the topic of Sonic Boom came up, and other than Mike's genuine enthusiasm for the show (which makes me confident it'll be at least bearable and fun), I did learn that they're recording it all in person, as an ensemble cast. It's certainly a departure from recording remotely like Mike does for the games (he's in NY, and the rest of the cast are on the west coast I think?), considering he had to be flown out there. If nothing else, it tells me that SEGA care about the show enough to get some proper chemistry going in the recording sessions. That's made me somewhat more optimistic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, Mike said during the Project 24 interview he met all the Sonic cast a few months before Sonic Boom was unveiled. SEGA flew them all to a recording studio somewhere without even telling them what they were working on, had them all eat dinner together, and then only afterward said they were there to record a new Sonic cartoon.

It is nice that SEGA's putting the team members together, definitely. I'm looking forward to the dialogue exchanges in the new show, since I can only imagine they'll be beautiful since they were recorded on the spot rather than separately.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, guess thats more effort then what they were willing to do for Ryan Drummond back when he wanted to voice Sonic for Sonic X but SEGA didn't want to fly him out. but then again they could've just been saying that to shield him from really saying "You're fired, stop calling us" a few months later. 

Well, guess thats more effort then what they were willing to do for Ryan Drummond back when he wanted to voice Sonic for Sonic X but SEGA didn't want to fly him out. but then again they could've just been saying that to shield him from really saying "You're fired, stop calling us" a few months later. 

My understanding was that 4Kids didn't want Drummond to bother flying out there because they wanted to use their in-house cast. I really don't think SEGA cared and decided to just make the switch when Drummond and co.'s contracts were up.

As memory serves SEGA had nothing to do with flying them out; Ryan Drummond was actually willing to relocate himself for the job out of pocket. 4Kids wanted to use their own cast however, so that's that.

I'm just glad SEGA's taking a hands on approach to this. They seem "fire and forget" with a lot of stuff at times. It's rather amusing they're showing more care for a cartoon than their own games.

Then again, bigger audience...

I can agree there, but I think it'll be more interesting to see how the hands-on direction influences the writing and character interactions, since there's no gameplay between characters talking to one another. I think it'll really clarify Iizuka's and the writers' vision for how Sonic and the cast should, in terms of personalities and values, act.

And to me, finding out what they want Sonic to be will be very interesting.

I see, its been awhile so I couldn't recall the exact details of that whole drummond deal.

And I doubt that SEGA, the games' writers, or Sonic Team will have a whole 'lot of involvement in this, I believe all they are just doing is rubberstamping whatever the Sonic Boom team is coming up with.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even if it is just a rubber stamp, it at least leaves me optimistic about the cartoon if the people who are behind it requested that all the voice actors record together.

Even if it is just a rubber stamp, it at least leaves me optimistic about the cartoon if the people who are behind it requested that all the voice actors record together.

I wouldn't read much into the whole thing about the cast recording together; it's standard practice for original animation, and most non-dubbed shows record like that (I can't think of many that don't, actually). I imagine most of SEGA's approvals boil down to what's actually produced for the show, not whether or not the actors that freelance for them record together or separately.

I will say it's going to be really cool hearing the actors actually play off of each, compared to when they're alone in a booth recording all possible lines in one session. The current cast is arguably the best SEGA's used in any Sonic production, so even if I'm unsure about the show's direction, I think the actors will turn in some great work.

Well the reason it stands out is usually Mike Pollock (and presumably others) don't record next to each other, but at a distance and send clips in. That they're apparently all on the ground rather than simply recording locally is a step in the right direction for building interaction in the studio.

I mean, they do some great work even when apart... when they're recording face to face it's sure to be beautiful.

Well the reason it stands out is usually Mike Pollock (and presumably others) don't record next to each other, but at a distance and send clips in. That they're apparently all on the ground rather than simply recording locally is a step in the right direction for building interaction in the studio.

I mean, they do some great work even when apart... when they're recording face to face it's sure to be beautiful.

Eh, almost everyone in the cast primarily records alone; they all do a large number of anime and video game projects, so when they get a chance to sit down in a room together and play off of each other it must be rare. I'm just saying I don't feel it's all that surprising that the producers would arrange for the actors to record together when it's standard practice. I suppose Pollock is kind of a special case when he's the only one in the cast that doesn't live in California (unless this has changed recently), but it is nice they found a way to accommodate him so he can record with the group. But if FUNimation can fly out Kyle Hebert to record Gohan every year, I don't see how a bigger operation like Cartoon Network can't afford the same.

But I do agree (as I've already said) that the cast will likely turn in some great work (and they're a consistently good group of actors to begin with).

I'm not keeping up with Boom news really. Who said they were all recording together?

Apparently Mike Pollock confirmed this much on some charity stream/interview recently.

I'm not keeping up with Boom news really. Who said they were all recording together?

Apparently Mike Pollock did in a Project 24 interview, him and the entire cast met and ate dinner together, so they'll have actual chemistry recording together.

Apparently Mike Pollock did in a Project 24 interview, him and the entire cast met and ate dinner together, so they'll have actual chemistry recording together.

Oh no, those are being mixed up.

In Project 24, he said that he was flown in to record some lines with the cast.

Whereas a more recent charity stream had him confirming that he and the cast were recording together.

• Thumbs Up 1