Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Working Title)

Soniman

I still cannot understand why everyone is so upset about this; we have a promotional image without even final designs(something that can change), aiming at the same demographic that Sonic has always had, and focusing generally on the whimsical aspect of the series, something people liked about AOSTH mind you?

What's the problem again?

Just by looking at the silhouettes you can see they're probably gonna go for an art style very similar to Nick's TMNT show, or CN's Beware the Batman, where everything is really blocky (and because of that, ugly). Seeing that Sonic is a very bendy, stretchy and noodly character with other characters built like that.. then seeing how rectangular their silhouettes even look, I know for a fact this isn't gonna be good.

Sure, subject to change probably (hopefully), but there's always that chance it won't change either.

I still cannot understand why everyone is so upset about this; we have a promotional image without even final designs(something that can change), aiming at the same demographic that Sonic has always had, and focusing generally on the whimsical aspect of the series, something people liked about AOSTH mind you?

What's the problem again?

Small changes like Eggman's pointy head in SatAM can be ignored because for the most part he was still round figured. Knuckles is A) way to tall. B) his head is way to big C) his body shape is not the same

Based on the silhouettes alone I don't mind the designs at all, but I kinda want to see them for real before I make any judgments. Still, they're probably not even the final designs anyway. We'll see...

But yeah, I'm certainly interested. Especially since Sonic Team does have some involvement (even if it's just Iizuka...?), and the VAs are the game cast. The environment the characters are in in that promotional image puts a smile on my face, particularly that loop in the background.

Am I the only one who doesn't mind how Knuckles looks? I swear, the way people are acting, you'd think his gauntlets were the most important thing in the world! What is wrong with giving him fingered gloves, anyway?

I will say though, I'm not a fan of how top-heavy he looks. They could stand to make his lower half a bit wider in my opinion.

But yeah, if Knuckles' gloves become the new "green eyes"...

Edited by ElectroKyurem
  • Thumbs Up 1

Small changes like Eggman's pointy head in SatAM can be ignored because for the most part he was still round figured. Knuckles is A) way to tall. cool.png his head is way to big C) his body shape is not the same

Still though, that's an aesthetic change. A fairly major one, mind you, but that doesn't necessarily make or break anything.

Just by looking at the silhouettes you can see they're probably gonna go for an art style very similar to Nick's TMNT show, or CN's Beware the Batman, where everything is really blocky (and because of that, ugly). Seeing that Sonic is a very bendy, stretchy and noodly character with other characters built like that.. then seeing how rectangular their silhouettes even look, I know for a fact this isn't gonna be good.

Sure, subject to change probably (hopefully), but there's always that chance it won't change either.

...Except this made all of the Turtles distinct from each other and manages to have decent writing; hell it made Leonardo, generally the blandest of the turtles, an actually interesting character. If that's your reason, then I still can't understand it.

• Thumbs Up 1

My problem with this is that it sounds so terribly generic.....like it's been done so many times before. But as you said, I don't have to like it so meh..

That's a valid complaint. I'm not trying to defend the show, or criticize the critics here. For all we know it could be awful.

I just think that this stuff is explainable to a degree and that some of the reactions are a wee bit strong.

This looks promising, but why is Knuckles way bigger than Sonic, when they are about the same size in the comic book. 

I really don't think they're using the comic book as any kind of basis for adapting the series to the show. 

Hey guys, what If Sonic just looks redesigned due to perspective? It could be it's just eh way he's standing, also as for the vest thing, maybe it's a backpack? Glad to hear Roger is voicing Sonic.

Yeah but there's one huge difference between the turtles and Sonic as a cartoon franchise.

All of the Turtle's renditions are decent, Sonic's has been snowballing into suckage for a while, I think people just want a decent Sonic cartoon for once...

So I guess this is the No Opinions Stadium, now.

Your opinion is complaining about a promotional image and small snippets of information.

EDIT: Like Solly said, I don't think the show is going to be good, but everyone seems to be writing off already despite the lack of info we have. But screw it, Sonic fans, we complain about everything. I'm just gonna spectate till things die down.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu

What if the 'Knuckles with fingers' thing does catch on and he has fingers when he appears in his Sonic Lost World cameo!!! 

If only you knew what your in for...

Fingers_possible_sign.jpg

It's nice to see a new Sonic cartoon being made. I wonder what the comedy/humor will be like compared to AOSTH. 

Edited by -Bender-

Yeah but there's one huge difference between the turtles and Sonic as a cartoon franchise.

All of the Turtle's renditions are decent, Sonic's has been snowballing into suckage for a while, I think people just want a decent Sonic cartoon for once...

So I say let's give 'em a chance to prove they can. 

It looks like a deformed eyebrow.     Anywho, ya'll kinda jumping the gun a little bit don't ya think? Its a freakin promotional image, and Sonic's entire demographic is 6-11, why are people acting like this is something new?
No it is not like that! The demographics will push for younger audience. It will also maintain the older audience as well as the Genesis audience. It be silly to only focus on 6-11 and completely not caring about the older audience generation like me. Those shadow images they look prehistoric.

Guys I don't think that this is their final design just beta concepts

*adds page to watchlist* Gonna keep a close eye on this one -- it's kinda my job, after all.

I shall join you on that.

No it is not like that! The demographics will push for younger audience. It will also maintain the older audience as well as the Genesis audience. It be silly to only focus on 6-11 and completely not caring about the older audience generation like me. Those shadow images they look prehistoric.

Having a targeted demographic doesn't mean that it is exclusively tailored for that demographic.

...Except this made all of the Turtles distinct from each other and manages to have decent writing; hell it made Leonardo, generally the blandest of the turtles, an actually interesting character. If that's your reason, then I still can't understand it.

TMNT has also been hilariously, almost infamously, inconsistent in art style and holding a mythos, hence the billions of continuities. And I can also trust TMNT to tell me a decent story, which is why the show is still good even if I don't really like the art style.

I can't trust a Sonic show on stellar writing to make up for this when they've all been varying amounts of shite. And considering Sonic has gotten itself a good dosage of brand consistency lately regarding design and look, this is like taking the proverbial dump on it.

Edited by Azookara

As for the whole thing about the show being a comedy, it seems to be a bit of a necessary evil when making animation for younger audiences for some reason.

Well.......I don't know...what to even say about this.

Well I'll hold off any final judgement for right now till we see what they actually look like. Through I may say, it looks like they hired some former Archie comics artist for this or something, one of the "Dark Age" ones.

Again reserving final judgement till final reveal.

TMNT has also been hilariously, almost infamously, inconsistent in art style and holding a mythos, hence the billions of continuities. And I can also trust TMNT to tell me a decent story, which is why the show is still good even if I don't really like the art style.

I can't trust a Sonic show on stellar writing to make up for this when they've all been varying amounts of shite. And considering Sonic has gotten itself a good dosage of brand consistency lately regarding design and look, this is like taking the proverbial dump on it.

But we haven't even seen the designs in full....

Its like you said, Sonic has had a good brand of consistency, why would they suddenly change out of the blue?

Edited by Azure Yakuzu