Awoo.

'Jack Ryan' Author Tom Clancy has passed away

Tracker_TD

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a520368/jack-ryan-author-tom-clancy-dies-aged-66.html?utm_source=twt&utm_medium=snets&utm_campaign=twitter

Tom Clancy has died at the age of 66.

The author's publisher Putnam confirmed to the New York Times that he passed away last night (October 1) in a hospital in Baltimore.

showbiz-tom-clancy.jpg

© Rex Features / Peter Brooker

Author Tom Clancy

"He was a thrill to work with," said president of Putnam Ivan Held.

The author was best known for his Jack Ryan novels, many of which were adapted into films, including The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games andThe Sum of All Fears.

More to follow.

Well fuck, this came out of nowhere. Gutted to hear.
Edited by Tracker

I never read the books, but I did know of him as the name behind the Splinter Cell games, which I rather enjoyed.

My condolences to his family.

• Thumbs Up 3

Your title is rather insensitive.

Can't you at least say "passed away" instead of a blunt "is dead"?

It's a shame. How he died is still a mystery.

It's a shame. How he died is still a mystery.

Ah, my apologies. Will do. Insensitivity was not my intention.

Edited by Tracker

Man...66 is too early. I haven't read his books but he's been involved with the Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon franchises and I enjoyed those a lot. I'll buy The Division in loving memory of him.

RIP. How did he pass away?

Edited by KrazyBean

Seriously?

• Thumbs Up 7

Dang. I never read his books, but I played quite a few of those games he consulted on way back in the day. I know my dad and brother were really into some of his books, though. Sad news.  sad.png

GUUUH WHY. I loved Tom Clancy's books, specially The Hunt for Red October and Rainbow Six. This saddens me. 

Not as a slant towards anyone, I do think it's kinda darkly humorous that most of the context people seem to have towards his work amounts to something that he basically put his name on and had his involvement more or less stop there.

This comes as a pretty huge surprise, 66 is still pretty young these days. There are so many Tom Clancy books, movies, even games... not many people have that much success in so many fields.

The man is a legend and will be severely missed.

Are you crapping me? D:

I've read Rainbow Six several times.. it was so good and launched me into his other books. Sum of all Fears, Bear and the Dragon.. the amazing 2 part Debt of Honor / Executive Orders.... I didn't think anyone could write an entire chapter about how a nuclear bomb detonates, but he did it.

Haven't read any recent stuff because it's based on Jacks son.. but I did hear about an "All-Star" book which includes a lot of the older characters :(

The Jack Ryan movie is coming up too..

Sad stuff.. but he should've been proud for what he achieved.. one day he's an insurance salesman the next he's having dinner at the White House. .

So so sorry to hear this :(

Didn't he just publish a new book a couple months ago?

Threat Vector was published last year, last I checked.

Tho there's a book coming out in December if that's what you're referring to.