Awoo.

Spoiler Topic [Warning - Untagged Discussion]

Carbo

Uh, the boss fights are in acts 2 and 4...I'm stupid. But still, you do realise there's an embargo, right? He can't just show whatever he wants. Showign off Zomom would probably get him in shit with SEGA. Whic, you know

Isn't something you  want to do when they're kind enoguh to give you a review copy

Also, what the fuck. The tower section just plays the same music as the outside section. No jazzy slower version or anything. Come on, guys ):<

Not only that, but you enter the tower, climb up, reach the top, and... you're back in the desert. You don't start at the top or anything, you're just teleported back down. Multiple times.

I know I shouldn't be bothered by this but just

ugh

The 3DS version's Desert Ruins Zone 2 is based off the tower section & has a jazzier remix, swag swag. And I was kinda bothered with the tower climbing parts too, why didn't we have an above tower Crimson Eagle area or something =/

Yeah it is banjo kazooie nuts and bolts has huge levels.

No, it really doesn't. They're big compared to Banjo's plodding on-foot speed, but in a vehicle (which is more comparable to Sonic), getting from one end to the other is trivial. Not to mention they're not designed anything like platformer levels; they're mostly empty space with a few simple roads built in. Its levels can't be compared to those of a platformer, because it isn't one.

Also, for the lack of common sense it would have enemies and objects as such so yeah anyone other than yourself would want to roam around in a bigger area with things to do rather than this secluded boxed up area.

The problem is that putting in all those enemies and objects, and making it not suck ass, takes effort. To fill the kind of space you're asking for, it would take ridiculous, unreasonable amounts of effort.

e: man I love how the bouncy clouds look. They're like, the softest thing ever made.

Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 1

No, it really doesn't. They're big compared to Banjo's plodding on-foot speed, but in a vehicle (which is more comparable to Sonic), getting from one end to the other is trivial. Not to mention they're not designed anything like platformer levels; they're mostly empty space with a few simple roads built in. Its levels can't be compared to those of a platformer, because it isn't one.

The problem is that putting in all those enemies and objects, and making it not suck ass, takes effort. To fill the kind of space you're asking for, it would take ridiculous, unreasonable amounts of effort.

For Banjo you are not counting the width and height of the stages only the width I am assuming also so what if it takes effort it shows the creators care and have love for their games instead of rushing out a half ass title before black Friday. There is no excuse why there can not be platformers like that today.

Uh, the boss fights are in acts 2 and 4...I'm stupid. But still, you do realise there's an embargo, right? He can't just show whatever he wants. Showign off Zomom would probably get him in shit with SEGA. Whic, you know

Isn't something you  want to do when they're kind enoguh to give you a review copy.

Ah. Makes sense. Don't want to overstep too many bounds.

Have i seen Sonic 1 before?

Maybe on Sega forums but I suggest you stay on topic like a mod told me.

Edited by Sonic 1

For Banjo you are not counting the width and height of the stages only the width

So I'm counting the width, but not the width? No, I'm taking all 3 dimensions into account. But the vertical of most stages is empty space, not actual level (and it's no coincidence that the level with the most design put into the vertical is by far the smallest on the other two axes). And doing laps around the Jiggoseum is no less trivial than going end-to-end; it's still fairly small and almost completely barren.

also so what if it takes effort it shows the creators care and have love for their games instead of rushing out a half ass title before black Friday. There is no excuse why there can not be platformers like that today.

You have utterly unrealistic expectations for game designers. Technology improving may have removed most of the physical constraints on size, but actually designing a level within that space is still constrained by human limits. It's probably even harder to keep up now that games are so much more complex; an added dimension to work in, the expectations for higher detail, cutscenes being expected by default, etc. It's not laziness to not make arbitrarily massive levels, and it's not going to happen unless the games start costing twice as much and getting released half as often (or worse).
  • Thumbs Up 1

So I'm counting the width, but not the width? No, I'm taking all 3 dimensions into account. But the vertical of most stages is empty space, not actual level (and it's no coincidence that the level with the most design put into the vertical is by far the smallest on the other two axes). And doing laps around the Jiggoseum is no less trivial than going end-to-end; it's still fairly small and almost completely barren.

You have utterly unrealistic expectations for game designers. Technology improving may have removed most of the physical constraints on size, but actually designing a level within that space is still constrained by human limits. It's probably even harder to keep up now that games are so much more complex; an added dimension to work in, the expectations for higher detail, cutscenes being expected by default, etc. It's not laziness to not make arbitrarily massive levels, and it's not going to happen unless the games start costing twice as much and getting released half as often (or worse).

Its new generation gaming they could make that space happen look at GTA5 huge game even though I don't play it. It is still a very large game and shows game design like that is impossible. Also, with Banjo kazooie it is still big enough to be good platforming genre levels.

The difference is that Grand Theft Auto developers don't need to make 20+ levels

Edited by Blitz 'n Burst

Its new generation gaming they could make that space happen look at GTA5 huge game even though I don't play it. It is still a very large game and shows game design like that is impossible. Also, with Banjo kazooie it is still big enough to be good platforming genre levels.

Yes, because a sandbox game which has missions instead of levels is a great example to compare with this plataformer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, because a sandbox game which has missions instead of levels is a great example to compare with this plataformer.

How big the stage is and unlimited exploration is what I am going for. Next time use a little bit more logic when making a bias assumption towards a user.

Edited by Sonic 1

How big the stage is and unlimited exploration is what I am going for. Next time use a little bit more logic when making a bias assumption towards a user.

No, you next time read it right, Im trying to say that you want to compare the whole region of GTA V, a sandbox game, to only one level of Sonic Lost Worlds, its like saying ''Oh that Highway is too small, it should be as big as that city I saw the other day'' It makes no sense, and the idea that each level should be as big as that map is ridiculous.

What.

Do I seriously have to explain to you that making thirty sprawling maps takes more time than making one sprawling maps? Like, did that never occur to you? Do you just really suck at mathematics? How does you talking about "unlimited exploration" change anything? How was that biased or unlogical? How the fuck did I make any "assumptions"  about you? Do you even know what the fuck you're typing?

Edited by Blitz 'n Burst

What.

Do I seriously have to explain to you that making thirty sprawling maps takes more time than making one sprawling maps? Like, did that never occur to you? Do you just really suck at mathematics? How does you talking about "unlimited exploration" change anything? How was that biased or unlogical? How the fuck did I make any "assumptions"  about you? Do you even know what the fuck you're typing?

Sorry if I have confused you but let me put it this way. We all want a game where we can explore with no invisible walls to stop us from exploring that area. A good platformer has creativity and should have secrets and sections in which players can freely explore and experience themselves. Sonic lost world is not only a locked in game map it prevents you from exploring vast lands. It is instead a game that limits the player opportunities to a great experience. The 3ds version looks way better than the console version because at least I can run anywhere I want.

Offering exploration does not make a game good. Having hidden secrets and a massive sprawling map does not make a game good. Sonic does not need these things to be good. Games are meant to be fun. How this goal is met can take different forms, be it by difficult challenges, creativity or large and detailed worlds that are fun to explore. But the underlying goal for a game to be good is for it to be fun. Games with large worlds can still be incredibly shitty, and games that are on a set path can still be amazing, because the quality of a game isn't somehow determined by how large a world is. That's retarded. Mario 64 had far more open worlds than Mario Galaxy, and yet I found Mario Galaxy far more enjoyable to play.

Its new generation gaming they could make that space happen look at GTA5 huge game even though I don't play it.

GTA isn't a platformer. It's big, yes, but it's not focused in design the way a platformer needs to be.

Also, with Banjo kazooie it is still big enough to be good platforming genre levels.

If the platformer isn't Sonic, maybe. If Mario had stuck with SM64-ish collectathons, I could see it taking place in BKN&B-sized levels. But Sonic needs more space than that.

How big the stage is and unlimited exploration is what I am going for.

Except that GTA design isn't compatible with platformer gameplay, so it's not an accurate comparison as far as what a platformer can be expected to do.

The 3ds version looks way better than the console version because at least I can run anywhere I want.

The 3DS version isn't any less limited than the Wii U version. In fact it seems to have more invisible walls (and/or death pits at the edges) than the console game does, since it doesn't focus on the tube-like design that eliminates edges.

Offering exploration does not make a game good. Having hidden secrets and a massive sprawling map does not make a game good. Sonic does not need these things to be good. Games are meant to be fun. How this goal is met can take different forms, be it by difficult challenges, creativity or large and detailed worlds that are fun to explore. But the underlying goal for a game to be good is for it to be fun. Games with large worlds can still be incredibly shitty, and games that are on a set path can still be amazing, because the quality of a game isn't somehow determined by how large a world is. That's retarded. Mario 64 had far more open worlds than Mario Galaxy, and yet I found Mario Galaxy far more enjoyable to play.

I found Mario 64 to be a far better game to play because the feeling you have when you control Mario. But , this is about Sonic and it should be noted his past games lack exploration and are just linear paths in the 3d sections of his gameplay.

Yes, they're linear paths

Hoe observant of you

What does this have to do with the quality of the games, may I ask. Because I just got throug saying that a large, expansive map does not make a game better or worse. It makes it different

Yeah, that would be a pretty sweet unlockable.

You know what's even sweeter? More 30 min. Spanish Gameplay, including some Desert Ruins Act 1 and Frozen Factory Act 1 footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlQ6ssmKBr4

Enjoy everybody.

Desert Ruins Act 1 looks fun, but I'm sure I'll still like Act 2 the most. 

Frozen Factory Act 1 looked very good. Still love that cool music~

Yes, they're linear paths

Hoe observant of you

What does this have to do with the quality of the games, may I ask. Because I just got throug saying that a large, expansive map does not make a game better or worse. It makes it different

First of all it would offer variety and second it would be replayable on so many levels to go back explore what you missed. Sonic lost world is a game that could be 100 percent finished in 1-3days. Just like colors a little title to tide us over for the 25th anniversary title.

Desert Ruins Act 1 looks fun, but I'm sure I'll still like Act 2 the most. 

Frozen Factory Act 1 looked very good. Still love that cool music~

Frozen Factory Zone 1 looked fun & everything but I felt like it was too auto controlled .-.

Desert Ruins Zone 1 looks epic as fuck, I looooove how open it is & how it switches from the Towers to the Deserts & back & forth =P

• Thumbs Up 1

That still doesn't make it better or worse. It appeals to a different set of fans. Donkey Kong 64 was focused on collecting things and had open worlds, but that game gets lots of flak compared to the original DKC games

First of all it would offer variety and second it would be replayable on so many levels to go back explore what you missed. Sonic lost world is a game that could be 100 percent finished in 1-3days. Just like colors a little title to tide us over for the 25th anniversary title.

Thats... But... I... You know what, no, I'll stop right here, I'll just stop here, that's enough internet for a day, I need to sit down and ponder about what I just read.

1st off, Colors had 6 Zones, about 2 of them were side zones & could have easily been thrown in the other main zones. This game has 4 zones. Theres alot of replayability in these zones, theres multiple paths to choose from & explore or did you not notice. And I dont think this game can be 100% in around 1-3 days, those Red Star Rings are pesks... sad.png